• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neo Child said:
How exactly? You cant bend the ****ing Wii Remote. It'd snap.

you twist the wiimote in the direction you want it to bend, so if your holding the controller NES style, you would twist it back to have the arrow go up.

VegaShinra

Neo Child said:
How exactly? You cant bend the ****ing Wii Remote. It'd snap.
It says steering. So hold the controller horizontal and steer the controller to move it. I'd say this is a hint at the controls for the game.

Threi

notag
VegaShinra said:
It says steering. So hold the controller horizontal and steer the controller to move it. I'd say this is a hint at the controls for the game.

Hmm i thought it would just be a button press for 3 possible directions (up,down, or forward)

It will piss off some people but I'm pretty sure this game will have some sort of motion control. Pit's arrow move hints at this.
I'm pretty excited about this, moving projectiles with motion control is a good idea. The only problem I see if only the wiimote is used is the lack of buttons. But Wiimote + nunchuk would be ideal.

ant1532

Banned
For all ya arguing just let me remind you Sakurai said there WILL be motion control in the game with the WiiMote but it WON'T be in Normal play.

ant1532 said:
For all ya arguing just let me remind you Sakurai said there WILL be motion control in the game with the WiiMote but it WON'T be in Normal play.

thats right we cant have gimmicky Waggle when real gameplay is concerned.

Sakurai knows the score.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I imagine when they talk about affecting the trajectory of the arrow in normal play that you can use the D-Pad/Control stick to alter it after you initiate the move, in a similar way you can slightly alter where Yoshi's Up+B Egg Attack can be thrown to by tilting the stick immediately after initiating the attack.

Dr.Hadji

SovanJedi said:
I imagine when they talk about affecting the trajectory of the arrow in normal play that you can use the D-Pad/Control stick to alter it after you initiate the move, in a similar way you can slightly alter where Yoshi's Up+B Egg Attack can be thrown to by tilting the stick immediately after initiating the attack.

Thank you. The most obvious answer..........

NeonZ

MadraptorMan said:
Isn't the most obvious equivalent Ness' eletric attack? I forget what it's called, PK...whatever.

No, it's probably Dyn's Fire from Zelda. I doubt you'll be able to make the arrows do a 180 loop.

pit_070528b.jpg

It's a pretty steep angle!

I think it's kinda BS that they do an article on Pit's special moves and only list two of them. WTF? This game must not be coming out for a long ass time if they need to parse out content into such tiny chunks.

MadraptorMan said:
pit_070528b.jpg

It's a pretty steep angle!

The angle of the shto (behind Pit's back) makes it look steeper than it is.

Is anyone else just glad to see that he plans to detail special moves at all? Think about it, he could have just put up the initial pointless profile and left it at that. So what do you guys think tonight? More Pit special moves would be awesome.

StrikerObi said:
I think it's kinda BS that they do an article on Pit's special moves and only list two of them. WTF? This game must not be coming out for a long ass time if they need to parse out content into such tiny chunks.

:(

2008 confirmed?

It was suppose to be LAUNCH!!!

Neomoto

StrikerObi said:
It's not an article but an update to the character profile of Pit. And while I agree that it seems like a to tiny chunk of info I guess you could say that they have no reason to "blow their load" in the beginning since the site is just up and running. I expect it to pick up when we come closer and closer to the release date (and I think he won't reveal all of the game).

Yeah, seriously guys. I don't think this site is something to be "completed" with all characters and stages before the game is released. Not to mention that he could easily start posting more substantial updates closer to release. It's only May, people.

At least the other newcomers would have more interesting neutral/up B-attacks. Snake's up+B? I'd LOVE to see what they came up with for that.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

ant1532

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
It was definately supposed to be lanch.
Iwata announced it to be a launch game for Revolution back in 2004 E3 Press Conference when Sakurai didn't even know about the game. Yeah the man said it was coming out at launch that time but he didn't even talk to any one about making it when he made the announcement lol.

Zeed

Banned
RubxQub said:
Negative...
He's actually right.

Thing is, when Iwata made that announcement, the game wasn't even in production. As a matter of fact, Sakurai was in the audience and was like "what?" when Iwata announced it would be coming for launch (Iwata had previous promised to consult Sakurai before starting work on a new Smash Bros). Incidentally, after the conference Iwata had Sakurai bagged and brought up to his hotel room where he persuaded Sakurai to do SSBB - making him the sole member of the development team at the time.

Kawaii

StrikerObi said:
Atleast 6 months till launch, meaning ~ 25 weeks -> 125 days to fill with information.

With the launch of SSBM they did not release any info about unlockable characters till after launch iirc, asuming they do that again, they could even take smaller chunks of info/screens, if they wanted to.

Eitherway 2008 is way too long to wait for the game. All those people saying nintendo just isnt blowing their waad early are crazy. The game was announced in 2004 there should be more info by now.

Neomoto

ant1532 said:
Iwata announced it to be a launch game for Revolution back in 2004 E3 Press Conference when Sakurai didn't even know about the game. Yeah the man said it was coming out at launch that time but he didn't even talk to any one about making it when he made the announcement lol.
He said he would try and push "the team" (that would be created shortly after that) to get it done in time for launch. That's not exactly the same as it beeing announced as a launch game.

Neomoto said:
He said he would try and push "the team" (that would be created shortly after that) to get it done in time for launch. That's not exactly the same as it beeing announced as a launch game.

no he said the game would launch with the system. not that he would try....

Eteric Rice

ant1532 said:

Yeah, he heard the announcement and he was all like, "Wtf?" :D

I'm glad they gave him his own studio. I hope he sticks around after Brawl.

Zyid said:
He's actually right.

Thing is, when Iwata made that announcement, the game wasn't even in production. As a matter of fact, Sakurai was in the audience and was like "what?" when Iwata announced it would be coming for launch (Iwata had previous promised to consult Sakurai before starting work on a new Smash Bros). Incidentally, after the conference Iwata had Sakurai bagged and brought up to his hotel room where he persuaded Sakurai to do SSBB - making him the sole member of the development team at the time.

Imagine if Sakurai would have refused...

Zeed

Banned
Neomoto said:
No. I explained exactly what happened in my post. There was no "team" at the time of the announcement. And he very clearly said it would be coming for launch - a silly thing to say, really, when it wasn't even in development.

Proof: http://wii.ign.com/articles/670/670552p1.html

Also, that shit in there that IGN says about Nintendo being hard at work - not true. Sakurai explained that in his blog on the old site.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Imagine if Sakurai would have refused...
I can't really imagine Iwata being content to take "no" as an answer. After all they were on the top floor of a hotel, and falling accidents happen all the time.

Kabuki Waq said:
:(

2008 confirmed?

It was suppose to be LAUNCH!!!

I'd say the fact that the site re-launched with "Planned for a 2007 release" means the game really will be out by the end of the year. Though I like how they gave themselves an out by saying "planned"...

"Sorry guys, things didn't go according to plan! Smash is coming December 12, 2009"

Meta-Knight said:
It will piss off some people but I'm pretty sure this game will have some sort of motion control. Pit's arrow move hints at this.
I'm pretty excited about this, moving projectiles with motion control is a good idea. The only problem I see if only the wiimote is used is the lack of buttons. But Wiimote + nunchuk would be ideal.

Ugh. Anyone wishing for Wiimote controls in this title are ridiculous. I understand it'll probably be an option for something, but why would you desire Smash Bros to control like crap, praytell? It's a bad move and designer has way-since-past confirmed that Brawl will only use GCN for primary (important) play.

Also, all you people wondering in awe as to how Pit's arrow will angle up or down are ridiculous. Have you guys ever used Link's boomerang? Sigh.

Kureishima said:
Ugh. Anyone wishing for Wiimote controls in this title are ridiculous. I understand it'll probably be an option for something, but why would you desire Smash Bros to control like crap, praytell? It's a bad move and designer has way-since-past confirmed that Brawl will only use GCN for primary (important) play.

Also, all you people wondering in awe as to how Pit's arrow will angle up or down are ridiculous. Have you guys ever used Link's boomerang? Sigh.

I think motion controls COULD work out, but not if the entire gameplay is based on this. Anyway, we'll get an answer soon enough I think.

Does anyone else freakin' think you bend the trajectory of the arrow with the analog stick and don't have to waggle the remote while holding it in your mouth? Jesus.

Neomoto

Zyid said:
No. I explained exactly what happened in my post. There was no "team" at the time of the announcement. And he very clearly said it would be coming for launch - a silly thing to say, really, when it wasn't even in development.

Proof: http://wii.ign.com/articles/670/670552p1.html

Also, that shit in there that IGN says about Nintendo being hard at work - not true. Sakurai explained that in his blog on the old site.
How ****ing many times do I have to say it? You are wrong on that part (not that there was no team, it's even in my post you quoted for **** sake).

Iwata literal quote on E3 2005:

But I will tell you, we are already working on several Wi-Fi titles. Each one starring one of our key franchise characters. One or two Wi-Fi games will be ready for launch. AND I AM PUSHING MY TEAM TO MAKE SURE SMASH BROTHERS IS ONE OF THEM. That way, no matter where Reggie is, I can always beat him (Iwata & audience laughs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEyUsrTso-I

What more prove do you ****ing need? And for the record, a company can start working on a game without actually beginning to develop it (besides that they already have source code and engine ready for use), in the planning fase and all that. And Nintendo actually indeed had one Wi-Fi title ready for launch window (Pokemon Battle Revolution).

As much as I would've loved waggle, I'm pretty sure it's going to be GC/Classic Controller for the main game. Didn't Sakurai say "Don't throw out your GC controllers just yet?"

As for Pit's arrows, I second the notion that it will control similarly to Zelda's forward+B, at least it will more closely resemble that then Ness' up+B.

Zeed

Banned
Neomoto said:
How ****ing many times do I have to say it? You are wrong on that part (not that there was no team, it's even in my post you quoted for **** sake).
No, you're still wrong, but don't sweat it. How about taking some pills and calming the hell down?

Neomoto said:
Iwata literal quote on E3 2005:
That refers solely to Wi-Fi functionality, not general release date. Nice try though.

How about following the link in my last post before making a bigger ass of yourself?

DyTonic

Banned
Keru_Shiri said:
As much as I would've loved waggle, I'm pretty sure it's going to be GC/Classic Controller for the main game. Didn't Sakurai say "Don't throw out your GC controllers just yet?"

As for Pit's arrows, I second the notion that it will control similarly to Zelda's forward+B, at least it will more closely resemble that then Ness' up+B.

He did, but it will probably end up like MK:A...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom