• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki: Ninja Gaiden 2 will make other developers lose their motivation

What is this genre?

If he's talking about the same genre as DMC, Heavenly Sword, and God of War, and they're games we know about, I think he's kidding himself.

The guy can do nice graphics but from the 360 DOA, we haven't seen "next gen" gameplay.

slade

Well, he'll have plenty of material to rip off at the pace he's going. GOW3 is likely to be out before NG2.

Tieno

I don't think you need to take Itagaki that serious when he says stuff like this. Just doing some over the top smack talking. It's pretty funny in that context.

nasagoal

a slice of arrogance, but he's damn right... Ninja Gaiden kicked asses in terms of gameplay, and so Ninja Gaiden II will do

Pistolero

May he keep it wrapped until GOWIII is shown by those demotivated, illusional, factice, poor, dirty developers whom he can crash. Keep it underneath so the show grows in intensity.... :D

Jirotrom

Draft said:
Of course. What is going to compete? Dante and his magic hand? Whatever refried Clash of the Titans button masher Sony poops out? Project H.A.M.M.E.R. :lol

Reality demands acceptance. He owns the action market. A living legend. The man in black. Itagaki.
wow...I consider all these games pretty much even because of their plus and minus'. They are all great games.

Jirotrom said:
wow...I consider all these games pretty much even because of their plus and minus'. They are all great games.

Look in the action genre, there's Ninja Gaiden, and then there's the rest.

nasagoal

Mojovonio said:
Please make NG2 a little easier. I can't spend all that much time on one game, anymore.
i dont't think Ninja Gaiden was too hard... you just have to get rid of your Kingdom Hearts/Zelda/God of War/etc. fighting tactics :D

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Draft said:
Of course. What is going to compete? Dante and his magic hand? Whatever refried Clash of the Titans button masher Sony poops out? Project H.A.M.M.E.R. :lol

Reality demands acceptance. He owns the action market. A living legend. The man in black. Itagaki.

...you scare me. Really.

Draft

GI: Your games are notoriously difficult. How do you balance making a game that appeases the hardcore user base while still remains accessible to people who may not have time to train in order to play a game?

Itagaki: I think as a result of what we do, a lot of times our games tend to be more on the difficult side. It probably just comes from a natural desire for challenge. When I play a game, I want to be challenged by it. That might not always be intentional, but I think it just kind of feeds into that desire to be challenged. I talk about this a lot, but I wouldn’t want to go into a cabbage field with a big knife or a scythe or something and just start cutting down thousands and thousands of heads of cabbage. That’s not something I would find fun. I do think there are probably some people out there who want that kind of experience when playing a game. That’s why, when it comes down to the number of enemies on-screen, I’d rather have good enemies than just a lot of enemies. That’s why I don’t buy into the philosophy of, “Look! We have a thousand heads of cabbage on screen at once, isn’t this great?!”
The greatest. The ultimate. The goddamn boss of action gaming. Itagaki.

devilscallmedad said:
The only problem with that is that when the other developers see what we’re doing, they’re going to lose all of their motivation to create any game in the same genre, because there’s no way they can beat it.

arrogance.jpeg

f@luS

More than a member.
Draft said:

kratos.jpg

NinSoX

Banned
How can anyone not like this guy? :lol

He works hard and he's good at what he's doing...he has a right to be cocky. At the same time he gives very informative interviews.

szaromir

Banned
f@luS said:
http://www.gamersnet.nl/images/nieuws/2006/1143100895/kratos.jpg
I like God of War, but why did you show Kratos? QTE boss battles are nowhere near awesomeness of Ninja Gaiden.

Jirotrom

Merovingian said:
Look in the action genre, there's Ninja Gaiden, and then there's the rest.
Ive played all of gaiden and all of DMC and all of God of War. None of these games are perfect they have flaws. NG has a shit horrible camera and a crap story, DMC has crap graphics and horrible voice acting, God of War has odd hit detection. When Ninja gaiden becomes flawless then I can see it being called the greatest granted this is personal opinion.

EDIT: also can someone post sales figures of these games, Ninja Gaiden better own the damn Market.

If Itagaki wasn't around, the interviews in the gaming industry would be boring as hell.

Itagaki >>>>>>>>> your mom and you

Jirotrom said:
Ive played all of gaiden and all of DMC and all of God of War. None of these games are perfect they have flaws. NG has a shit horrible camera and a crap story, DMC has crap graphics and horrible voice acting, God of War has odd hit detection. When Ninja gaiden becomes flawless then I can see it being called the greatest granted this is personal opinion.

DMC has story :lol :lol (I am a big fan of DMC thou)

GOW :lol :lol :lol :lol not even going to comment on this overrated crapfest.

And only lamers have problem with NG camera. DMC out of all three has probably the worst camera system.

szaromir said:
I like God of War, but why did you show Kratos? QTE boss battles are nowhere near awesomeness of Ninja Gaiden.
I got gimped God Of War, where I have to use my own combos most of the time :(.

devilscallmedad said:
GI: Games like Code Cronos and Ninja Gaiden 2 have been sort of waiting in the wings for quite a while now. Do you think we’ll be hearing some announcements about those titles in 2007?

Itagaki: I’d like to show everybody some of the new stuff that we’ve been working on in the near future. The only problem with that is that when the other developers see what we’re doing, they’re going to lose all of their motivation to create any game in the same genre, because there’s no way they can beat it.

Full Inetrview
This guy made the same claims about dead or alive on the xbox 360 and that game was far from mind blowing.

At least since Ninja Gaiden the guy has a leg to stand on. It was pathetic when he used to say this kinda stuff about VF and Tekken versus DOA. Ninja Gaiden is arguably the best of its kind, and if the kids eat it up (and they sure seem to), I say let the man keep on with the funny stuff.

Yoboman

Honestly, Itagaki would do well to take a few tips from GoW. Ninja Gaiden with a sense of scale, and cinematography like God of War would be amazing.

Yoboman said:
Honestly, Itagaki would do well to take a few tips from GoW. Ninja Gaiden with a sense of scale, and cinematography like God of War would be amazing.

GOW should be taking tips from DMC and NG, not the other way around.

Rufus

Gotta love Itagaki. I also love how he illustrates his point with cabbage
Dynasty Warriors
. :lol
I'd really like to know what other Japanese developers think of him.

Merovingian said:
The angriest emo on earth
Yeah, he cuts other people, not himself. :lol
'I CAN'T ACCEPT MY OWN FAILURE! DIE, EVERYONE ELSE!' So angry, so angry.

But hey, it wouldn't be as entertaining in this setting if it were any different. :D

Yoboman

Phoenix Fang said:
GOW should be taking tip from DMC and NG.
Maybe. It could use a more fleshed out system, but it does what it does well. Ninja Gaiden does its combat system amazingly, but the advantage is to GoW in every other regard as far as I'm concerned. I hope NG can compete on these levels.

Phoenix Fang said:
I'm sure they do, but GoW is also aimed at a slightly more casual audience than NG/DMC. The best things that could be taken from DMC and NG to make it appeal more to us would alienate the series from the fans that have brought it to where it is.

And of course there are things NG and DMC could borrow from GoW...the production values on GoW are incredible, and the series does have other strong points, too. Just because overall it's not the game that NG and DMC3 are, it doesn't mean GoW isn't doing anything better than them.

Good to hear. I'm relived he's so confident in NG2 because it's got a alot to live up to. I absolutely loved NG and NGB.

Hayate + Hayabusa online co-op and versus please

Aisenherz

Banned
Draft said:
crap-post

Phoenix Fang said:
bullshit

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I'm wondering which action game fan threads bring out the... strangest worshippers... DMC threads, GOW threads or NG threads....

Well right now since NG threads are foremost in my mind...

Draft

Slightly more casual? Slightly? GoW boss fights are like playing Simon. I'm waiting for UNO mechanics to be introduced in the 3rd one.

NG and DMC games are for men. Men who like to memorize button combinations. Men who like seeing screens that ask "continue?" Men who like their stories stupid, their soundtracks butt rocking, and their platforming left to fat, Italian plumbers.

Production values. I spit on that little bullet point.

Top Bottom