• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki: Ninja Gaiden 2 will make other developers lose their motivation

vspectra06 said:
He's never said anything bad about VF. He talks trash about Tekken because Namco made fun of him when he made the first DOA, mainly his bouncing breast physics. So he's kept this grudge against the tekken series ever since.
He hasn't said anything bad about VF for a while, but early on in his "cocky rockstar" persona days, he did trash VF in an interview with a magazine. I'm afraid I don't remember with which magazine. It was before DOA3 was released, though.

Segata Sanshiro said:
He hasn't said anything bad about VF for a while, but early on in his "cocky rockstar" persona days, he did trash VF in an interview with a magazine. I'm afraid I don't remember with which magazine. It was before DOA3 was released, though.

I heard him say a few goods things about VF as well. Who knows what's going on in his mind.

jarrod

Banned
Yoboman said:
360 and PS3 are as equal as it gets, don't be daft. If NG2 can be done on 360, it can and will be done on PS3
Not saying they aren't closer than most (PS2 & Xbox included), but I expect we'll probably get the usual "can't handle it" PR excuses, at least initially.

Model 2 to Saturn was also a bigger leap than Xbox to PS2. It's not like Team Ninja hasn't scaled down ports before...

Yoboman said:
Perhaps you're of the crowd that thinks Ninja Gaiden Sigma was released for no purpose at all
No, it's pretty a clearly a testing ground for Team Ninja's new 4th R&D unit. And if it sells really well, it may very well lead to more PS3 ports (NG2, DOA5, etc) so it seems to be something of a testing ground for the PS3 platform too.

Madman

To Itagaki's comment: Good luck with that one.

And what do you know, a thread about either God of War, Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry(Soon to be Heavenly Sword as well). I hope it doesn't turn into a bunch of BS posts with lame insults regarding one or more of the other games within the genre.

All of the games are great in their own ways. Can't it just be left at that?

Segata Sanshiro said:

Trust me when I say you are wrong. I've read every single interview with this guy and he has never ever said anything bad about VF. Matter of fact he has praised the game so much even saying that if it wasn't for VF, DOA wouldn't exist. You also have to remember that him and Yu Suzuki and great friends because Yu helped him out in the early development of DOA when TN was licensing the Model 2 board.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yoboman said:
Nobody said to do anything like that; I didn't say to replicate the gameplay, nor did I say to replicate the characters. I said it should try and compete with God of War in it's sense of scale, artistry and cinematography so that it can match God of War in the levels it isn't already as good of better in. That is COMPLETELY different from what you addressed. Way to miss the point.

Alright, in terms of sense of scale: GoW had a great sense of scale, sure, but where you could actually go and fight, NG was much bigger... and while backgounds and the like felt smaller in NG, that was more due to the locations than anything else - where GoW takes place, it made sense for it to be huge-looking...

Same thing with the artistry - GoW is based on mythology - it would be a poor game if they didn't try to match history art-wise, while NG still being a beautiful looking game, isn't all about trying to be historically accurate and such, or be an art-candy game - it's all about the action and trying to kill the enemies before they kill you... in fact, I can't imagine NG in that light at all, and couldn't picture anyone pulling it off without killing some of the focus on watching less and killing more...

Cinematography: I love being in control of what I want to see, and not being shown what they want me to see - sure it make sense for showing a special item or objective, which they do in NG, the way it's done in GoW, shifting camera angles while in the middle of walking is annoying to me...

Cutscene-wise, the cinematography is great there as well, and like I said before, they are aiming to keep in line with the mythology, so they have alot to work with as well as a standard to live up to - it would be a poor game if they made a game based on this that didn't pull this off competently - while the in-game cutscenes don't last too long to break up the in-game stuff other than to show you important things - they save the big things for the CG cutscenes at the beginning and end of each level when you're already done killing...

To sum it up, GoW does what it does well, but to me, it would mess up what I love about NG to me - I wouldn't want to see it take anything from GoW whatsoever, it wouldn't feel like NG to me at all anymore - keep the focus on the action...

Brofist

Aokage said:
This still doesn't change the fact that every interview with him makes me sick to my stomach. I interviewed him last month and said, "I'll donate $10 to charity if you say something nice about Capcom or Namco." His response? "Hmm...Namco makes good potstickers" (Namco owns a famous Chinese restaurant in Japan).

Well it is a decent place to eat, a little pricey though ;)

Here's a link to it

Awesome comments btw. Who cares if he wants to be a little pompous? Why should everyone have to be so pc when they speak, complimenting the competition, etc..**** all that

Yoboman said:
360 and PS3 are as equal as it gets, don't be daft. If NG2 can be done on 360, it can and will be done on PS3

Perhaps you're of the crowd that thinks Ninja Gaiden Sigma was released for no purpose at all

Are we now to believe that MS suddenly can't get exclusives?

Mgs2 was on the Xbox remember? I didnt see Mgs3 on it after...so it's really possible the same will happen now with NG.

Brofist

Merovingian said:
Are we now to believe that MS suddenly can't get exclusives?

Mgs2 was on the Xbox remember? I didnt see Mgs3 on it after...so it's really possible the same will happen now with NG.

The point is if NG2 is exclusive, it's not because the PS3 can't handle it, it's for other reasons.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The only thing i can't stand about Itagaki is the fact that he's made one great action game, a bunch of mediocre fighting games, and lame fapfest volleyball games, yet he and his fans feel he's a legendary developer.

The fact that he isn't brave enough to make his overblown statements in the Japanese press speaks volumes.

Funny guy though. The way he disses Hayashi really pisses me off.

K.Jack said:
The only thing i can't stand about Itagaki is the fact that he's made one great action game, a bunch of mediocre fighting games, and lame fapfest volleyball games, yet he and his fans feel he's a legendary developer.

The fact that he isn't brave enough to make his overblown statements in the Japanese press speaks volumes.

Funny guy though. The way he disses Hayashi really pisses me off.

Get a Grip.

He made the best action game ever.

kpop100 said:
well obviously it wasn't "no shit" if you couldn't pick up on that point in the first place

It's so no shit, that i didn't even bother with it, because only a moron would even put that in question.

Yoboman said NG2 will get ported because Sigma got ported. And i replyed directly to that.

Is that too hard to understand sherlock? You want me to paint the picture for you? With crayons and shit?

hadareud

The Translator
Draft said:
Slightly more casual? Slightly? GoW boss fights are like playing Simon. I'm waiting for UNO mechanics to be introduced in the 3rd one.

NG and DMC games are for men. Men who like to memorize button combinations. Men who like seeing screens that ask "continue?" Men who like their stories stupid, their soundtracks butt rocking, and their platforming left to fat, Italian plumbers.

Production values. I spit on that little bullet point.
:lol

Nolan.

I swear I don't think there is a cockier (if there's such a word) developer. And in my opinion he hasn't even earned the right to be such.

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:
The point is if NG2 is exclusive, it's not because the PS3 can't handle it, it's for other reasons.
Same could be said for NG1 PS2 really though... wouldn't have been a perfect port obviously, but the platform certainly could've handled a decent conversion.

Madman

Merovingian said:
Get a Grip.

He made the best action game ever.
No, he didn't. I see no trait on any of the three games that screams that they are somehow above and beyond superior to the rest of the genre. None of the games truly nail story, setting, and combat.

Brofist

jarrod said:
Same could be said for NG1 PS2 really though... wouldn't have been a perfect port obviously, but the platform certainly could've handled a decent conversion.

I don't know, I really think a PS2 port would have suffered compared to the Xbox version. PS2 pumped out some decent graphics, but NG played up to the strengths of the original Xbox well.

Aggelos

Oneself said:
痴漢 チカン ちかん
Tomonobu Itagaki
板垣は僭越な愚者なんだけど, 何よりも痴漢じゃないっすよ!

Madman said:
No, he didn't. I see no trait on any of the three games that screams that they are somehow above and beyond superior to the rest of the genre. None of the games truly nail story, setting, and combat.

Hey ignorance is bliss. I won't blame you.

Eh you guys just need to get more fun out of life.

ThirdEye said:
H went crazy knowing Heavenly Sword pre-owned NG2 or whatever his team can come up with.

:lol what?

Great now I can look forward to HS vs NG vs GoW vs DMC "discussions".

::attemps to force head into the garbage-disposal::

Madman

Merovingian said:
Hey ignorance is a bliss. I won't blame you.
Huh? Well, I've played the three big ones, and I can say that none of them nail everything and they all have their plusses and minuses. But hey, if you want to keep telling yourself that NG is the be-all end-all of action games, be my guest.

Obviously, you can't appreciate all three in any of these types of threads, so I'll take my leave with my silly appreciation for all 3.

Lhadatt

itagaki_missiles.jpg

Pistolero

Phoenix Fang said:
:lol :lol :lol

Be serious.

I was. You haven't since you entered the thread. Resistance = Perfect IQ. RSX = Good at antialiasing, just like every single damn Nvidia Card since the 6800. What, you were in a cave ? :lol

I mean certainly there are the finer points you can address with each game but if you have access to all three I definitely don't see any reason for complaining.

But eh nobody likes being on a losing team, even if it's in a game where everyone is winning.

Yeah that makes no sense.

Jirotrom

Madman said:
Huh? Well, I've played the three big ones, and I can say that none of them nail everything and they all have their plusses and minuses. But hey, if you want to keep telling yourself that NG is the be-all end-all of action games, be my guest.

Obviously, you can't appreciate all three in any of these types of threads, so I'll take my leave with my silly appreciation for all 3.
Yep they all have plusses and minuses and I consider all 3 equal because of that...they are all great games and 10s in my book.

Defuser

devilscallmedad said:
Itagaki: I’d like to show everybody some of the new stuff that we’ve been working on in the near future. The only problem with that is that when the other developers see what we’re doing, they’re going to lose all of their motivation
Ryu is gonna do pull sexual harassment ninja moves.There will be so next gen.

NinSoX

Banned
What about did he say that made some of you so riled up? If it's arrogance, this term may be used to describe the majority in GAF. Should you hate yourselves too? :lol

NinSoX said:
What about did he say that made some of you so riled up? If it's arrogance, this term may be used to describe the majority in GAF. Should you hate yourselves too? :lol
You know, you're basically asking if GAFers have self-esteem issues here.

Yoboman

Gold Member
jarrod said:
Not saying they aren't closer than most (PS2 & Xbox included), but I expect we'll probably get the usual "can't handle it" PR excuses, at least initially.

Model 2 to Saturn was also a bigger leap than Xbox to PS2. It's not like Team Ninja hasn't scaled down ports before...
It's a possibility, but Team Ninja have been highly adverse to Itagaki's previous attitude of "only this system can handle it; I won't work on this system because it's too weak." I can't predict that won't come into play but I doubt it, because it will be contrary to things he said just last year. And besides, it's very much arguable which system is stronger.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Skilotonn said:
Alright, in terms of sense of scale: GoW had a great sense of scale, sure, but where you could actually go and fight, NG was much bigger... and while backgounds and the like felt smaller in NG, that was more due to the locations than anything else - where GoW takes place, it made sense for it to be huge-looking...

Same thing with the artistry - GoW is based on mythology - it would be a poor game if they didn't try to match history art-wise, while NG still being a beautiful looking game, isn't all about trying to be historically accurate and such, or be an art-candy game - it's all about the action and trying to kill the enemies before they kill you... in fact, I can't imagine NG in that light at all, and couldn't picture anyone pulling it off without killing some of the focus on watching less and killing more...

Cinematography: I love being in control of what I want to see, and not being shown what they want me to see - sure it make sense for showing a special item or objective, which they do in NG, the way it's done in GoW, shifting camera angles while in the middle of walking is annoying to me...

Cutscene-wise, the cinematography is great there as well, and like I said before, they are aiming to keep in line with the mythology, so they have alot to work with as well as a standard to live up to - it would be a poor game if they made a game based on this that didn't pull this off competently - while the in-game cutscenes don't last too long to break up the in-game stuff other than to show you important things - they save the big things for the CG cutscenes at the beginning and end of each level when you're already done killing...

To sum it up, GoW does what it does well, but to me, it would mess up what I love about NG to me - I wouldn't want to see it take anything from GoW whatsoever, it wouldn't feel like NG to me at all anymore - keep the focus on the action...
It can do everything NG does well while amplifying the elements I've mentioned. Many of the environments in NG felt stale and lifeless; uninspired. Many of the enemies and bosses, while fun and challenging to fight - just looked poorly designed. All I'm arguing about is posterity. NG gets it's gameplay right, no doubt but with your arguments you seem to suggest the game cant have both. Like the gameplay would fall apart if they stood to improve some of the aesthetics I mentioned. That's ridiculous.

Pistolero said:
I was. You haven't since you entered the thread. Resistance = Perfect IQ. RSX = Good at antialiasing, just like every single damn Nvidia Card since the 6800. What, you were in a cave ? :lol

:lol:

joke post

What made me laugh was you using Resistance as an example.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Yoboman said:
It can do everything NG does well while amplifying the elements I've mentioned. Many of the environments in NG felt stale and lifeless; uninspired. Many of the enemies and bosses, while fun and challenging to fight - just looked poorly designed. All I'm arguing about is posterity. NG gets it's gameplay right, no doubt but with your arguments you seem to suggest the game cant have both. Like the gameplay would fall apart if they stood to improve some of the aesthetics I mentioned. That's ridiculous.

i like ng better than the other big 3d action competitors, but i totally agree with this. it could stand to improve its presentation and take some cues from g.o.w. in particular, which really does understand the importance of set pieces.

Top Bottom