• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Trailer & Pics Analyzed

Kittonwy

Banned
Steroyd said:
Surely you can't hold that against Zipper they only had 8MB worth of patching available to them which is worth **** to Socom. :/

Lack of HDD was a big problem both in terms of patching and in terms of how additional content can be made available to users, which is not a problem anymore since every PS3 has a HDD built-in.

freeza

Banned
Speevy said:
It looks like the developers played GRAW, watched a few MGS4 trailers and said "Hey, let's do that."

you just gave up your location

72664worflol.gif

Ravenn17

Andokuky said:
Sony only has to update SOCOM 2 with better graphics and release it on PS3 and I will put $600 down on day ONE. By far the most enjoyable online console game I have ever played. If this franchise were available with better graphics and Live support on Xbox consoles, I think it would be just as popular as Halo and GRAW/R6. SOCOM 2 was online perfection. The only small problem was hit detection that sucked at times. The maps were fantastic, by far the best ratio of good/crap maps I have ever seen in a game.

Desert Glory = great
Foxhunt = great
Frostfire = great
Blizzard = great
Night Stalker = omg great
Chain Reaction = omg great
Vigilance = great
Crossroads = great
Death Trap = great
Sujo = omg great
The Mixer = good
Rats Nest = meh
Abandoned = meh (only because they changed it to night)
The Ruins = good
Blood Lake = meh
Bitter Jungle = meh (only because it's a choppy mess)
Sandstorm = good
Fish Hook = good (would have been great without the choppiness)
Shadow Fallas = good (a little too big imho)
Enowapi = good
Guidance = meh
Requiem = great

Have they said which of these maps will be on this game? They have to include some Desert Glory and Night Stalker. I'd love to see Chain Reaction too but I don't see that happening with 32 players.

Eh. The perfect SOCOM would be s1 hit detection with s2 game speed. s2 had horrible hit detection, while s1 had slow grenade throwing and character movement.

Andokuky

Banned
Ravenn17 said:
Eh. The perfect SOCOM would be s1 hit detection with s2 game speed. s2 had horrible hit detection, while s1 had slow grenade throwing and character movement.

I think the hit detection was just as bad in 1. It just seemed worse in 2 to me because #1 it takes more shots to kill people and #2 the stupid ass health bar that needs to drain before the players die. You could shoot someone enough to kill them but they wouldn't die until their meter drained and in those couple seconds they were free to shoot you back.

Does Socom have iron sights? And for a Socom newb, should I just wait it out for the true sequel seeing as this is more of a treat for the old school Socom players?
Sorry to ask again, I asked on the last page and it still hasn't been answered.

Ravenn17

Andokuky said:
I think the hit detection was just as bad in 1. It just seemed worse in 2 to me because #1 it takes more shots to kill people and #2 the stupid ass health bar that needs to drain before the players die. You could shoot someone enough to kill them but they wouldn't die until their meter drained and in those couple seconds they were free to shoot you back.

How is it just as bad? People died in 2-3 shots with most guns.

Andokuky

Banned
Ravenn17 said:
How is it just as bad? People died in 2-3 shots with most guns.

I don't remember dying that easily in S1. Also, people die in 2-3 shots in S2 if you shoot them in the right spots.

GQman2121

Banned
I would be so down to play Socom II with everyone here if we could get something together this week. A Password room with 16 people so that no code 9ers could come in would be great fun I think.

I've been playing the series since day one and stopped when 3 was a total mess, and II became a cheat fest. I just popped II back in this weekend and had a pretty decent time and made some new friends, which was surprising.

At it's height I played in WEST 1

Clan: Mad Cappers

Tag: MC: DEADPOOL

I'm so down to if other are to play.

GQman2121

Banned
Andokuky said:
I don't remember dying that easily in S1. Also, people die in 2-3 shots in S2 if you shoot them in the right spots.

The first game was all about shooting skill speed. They moved away from that with the second game because I think it was hard for beginners to get into when they were getting owned left and right.

I wish they would get rid of the health bar. It makes no sense the way it's used in the game.

Ravenn17

GQman2121 said:
I would be so down to play Socom II with everyone here if we could get something together this week. A Password room with 16 people so that no code 9ers could come in would be great fun I think.

I've been playing the series since day one and stopped when 3 was a total mess, and II became a cheat fest. I just popped II back in this weekend and had a pretty decent time and made some new friends, which was surprising.

At it's height I played in WEST 1

Clan: Mad Cappers

Tag: MC: DEADPOOL

I'm so down to if other are to play.

MC: was amazing in s1. Very cool clan. MC: Syndicate was a beast.

And yeah, I'm going to keep bumping this thread until i get to play with some GAFers. :p

Ravenn17

DemonSwordsman said:
anyone remember [zT] they were the best clan in socom 1. They owned it from day 1.

With tek and diaper? Never played with them, but i heard they were top 5 easily before cheats. =Dp=, [G], [zT], [TW] were on another level.

Doel

phez said:
is this ps3 or psp?
.....How do people like this slip through the cracks?

Anyways, I'm playing SOCOM 1 right now and I forgot how amazing it was. People die in 3 shots. Its friggin AWESOME :D

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Doel said:
.....How do people like this slip through the cracks?

Anyways, I'm playing SOCOM 1 right now and I forgot how amazing it was. People die in 3 shots. Its friggin AWESOME :D

But the cheaters... are they still around shooting at you through the ground from the broken void below?

F***ing douches should have their nuts closed in a vice.

Denali

Doel said:
SOCOM 1:
[DH] CrazyLegs
[DA] CrazyLes
HPT_CrazyLegz
[SI] CrazyLegz

SOCOM 2:
[SI] CrazyLegz

Crazy?! It's Viper fool, Deadly Hitmen for life. :lol
Good memories.

and get the tag right, {DH} :D

Hit me up on AIM bro, nbvyper.

Ravenn17

recklessmind said:
But the cheaters... are they still around shooting at you through the ground from the broken void below?

F***ing douches should have their nuts closed in a vice.

I pub frequently, and i hardly see cheaters on s1. Most of the s2 cheaters are in respawns. Both games are defiantly playable.

JCBossman

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
You know, after seeing all this and taking a step back - I want to know how they are going to address SOCOM's biggest problem: post-release rampant cheating and discovery of game exploits.

I mean, the promise of post-release content is great but where is the promise of post-release game support?

Support can make or break the series for most people.

That and the fact that Socom is FILLED with the biggest piles of Aholes to ever grace a game, it makes the jerks in Halo seem like Boy Scouts. I think you shouldn't be able to pick a Socom handle that doesn't include a drug reference (Doobie Hoser) or Sex reference.

JCBossman said:
That and the fact that Socom is FILLED with the biggest piles of Aholes to ever grace a game, it makes the jerks in Halo seem like Boy Scouts. I think you shouldn't be able to pick a Socom handle that doesn't include a drug reference (Doobie Hoser) or Sex reference.

i dunno Socom 1 had a good community for a while. but socom 2 was just shit

Doel

Denali said:
Crazy?! It's Viper fool, Deadly Hitmen for life. :lol
Good memories.

and get the tag right, {DH} :D

Hit me up on AIM bro, nbvyper.
OMG Viper! :lol

I think I have you on AIM, but I forget your SN. I'll PM you

JCBossman said:
I COMPLETELY disagree. SOCOM 1 & 2 are the only games I ever made actual friends on. Sure, there were some ***holes, like any online game, but there were a hell of a lot more great people then most online gaming communities I've come across.

f3niks

Ravenn17 said:
[v] as in [v]eNGeaNCe?

Yeap. I wasn't in when they first got started but I joined near the tail end. I was cool with the majority of the folks in the clan though. BLAZN, E, WIK3D, Knox

Wollan

So my Socom love got the best of me, I knew it didn't make sense with Halo 3 and other betas around as well as there being something wrong with my network lately but I couldn't resist picking up Combined Assault when I saw the cover yesterday (Australian release were just days ago I believe).

I was hoping they would get the Socom 3 graphics running a bit smoother but it's still in the 20-25fps area which is pretty bad. The graphics vary from not so good (first level) to very good (some of the levels are set in these big valleys and fjords at dusk which can be quite beautiful with realistic pine tree forests..etc).

And /salut
Boomer was killed in action which gets revealed to you after the first mission.
Also, found this at Wiki :lol
Wiki Boomer said:
Kahuna seems to have retired by SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs since he is no longer the main character in the series. Zipper has surprisingly not revealed what happened to him and he has not been seen or mentioned in the other SOCOM games. Specter surprisingly becomes the main character in the series and becomes the leader of the squad. Boomer is revealed in SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Combined Assault to have been transferred to another unit. SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs reveals Boomer was wounded by friendly fire, presumably by Kahuna although he is not seen or mentioned in the game. Boomer was killed in SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Combined Assault by terrorists after his helicopter was shot down by an RPG, most likely as a satirical jab at the players' negative reactions towards Boomer in the first game.

Anyways, so far I haven't been able to play the game online due to my network being terrible lately (over a week now with speeds going up and down) but I was able to login to the online menu and it's still impressive to see what they got going on that limited hardware and save space.

If you have moved on to next gen I wouldn't recommend a buy of Combined Assault even if you're hyped for Confrontation (especially not if you already have Socom 3). The engine is too poor performing (Socom 2 would actually be a better game to buy in this regard) and it's a bit of a pain to go back to PS2 menus that has long pauses between different categories and whatnot. If only it was running steady at 30fps and was easy and quick to get in and out of..

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Lol. I used to shoot Boomer in the head at the start of every mission just so he wouldn't ruin my stealthy approach to the mission.

I played Socom single player kind of like Tenchu... and tried to knife as many people as humanly possible.

Boomer was just dead weight. :)

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
So my Socom love got the best of me, I knew it didn't make sense with Halo 3 and other betas around as well as there being something wrong with my network lately but I couldn't resist picking up Combined Assault when I saw the cover yesterday (Australian release were just days ago I believe).

I was hoping they would get the Socom 3 graphics running a bit smoother but it's still in the 20-25fps area which is pretty bad. The graphics vary from not so good (first level) to very good (some of the levels are set in these big valleys and fjords at dusk which can be quite beautiful with realistic pine tree forests..etc).

And /salut
Boomer was killed in action which gets revealed to you after the first mission.
Also, found this at Wiki :lol

Anyways, so far I haven't been able to play the game online due to my network being terrible lately (over a week now with speeds going up and down) but I was able to login to the online menu and it's still impressive to see what they got going on that limited hardware and save space.

If you have moved on to next gen I wouldn't recommend a buy of Combined Assault even if you're hyped for Confrontation (especially not if you already have Socom 3). The engine is too poor performing (Socom 2 would actually be a better game to buy in this regard) and it's a bit of a pain to go back to PS2 menus that has long pauses between different categories and whatnot. If only it was running steady at 30fps and was easy and quick to get in and out of..

I'm surprised there's actually a storyline in SOCOM, interesting...
Indifferent2.gif

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I see the picture already made it from the blog.
Thats apparently pre-alpha too.

here is the rest of the blog entry:
1. What game do you have at E3 this year?
I’m working with two games at E3 this year: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation for PLAYSTATION 3, and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Tactical Strike for PSP. For the purpose of answering these questions, I’ll focus mostly on our PS3 version of SOCOM.

2. What did you do on this game that you couldn’t do on another platform?
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation makes full use of the HDD in the PlayStation 3. One of the often overlooked advantages of the PS3 compared to competing platforms is that it contains a 2.5” serial ATA hard drive which allows us to use the Hard Disc Drive for extremely fast data access. Since we can count on the hard drive to be in every PS3 console, SOCOM Confrontation uses a very aggressive data streaming system which in turn allows for much greater detail in the game environments. For this reason alone, the level of detail which you will see in the environments and characters in SOCOM Confrontation is not possible on any other game console.

Take a quick look at the screenshots below for an early look at what we are able to achieve using the hard drive in the PS3. This is still pre-alpha and the quality will continue to improve as we get further into development.

3. What do you think is the coolest aspect of this game?

The environments are the real star in SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation. We are focusing a lot of effort on creating intricate and highly detailed urban environments. The amount of detail in the environment will help you to easily distinguish where you are in the level and the intricacy means that you are going to discover new areas and snipe points long after you thought you had the environment memorized.

The characters are also looking really good.

At the top of the post is an in-game screenshot of our Heavy Commando model. The skin shaders, cloth shaders, normal maps, and highly detailed textures allow us to have extremely realistic characters in the game. Again, this is a work in progress.

4. If you could sit one person in front of your game for an hour, who would it be?

N’Gai Croal. He’s been a long time player of the SOCOM franchise and I would really like to discuss what he thinks about this game. It doesn’t hurt that he is also one of the best journalists writing about video games and also writes for Newsweek.

5. What game do you most want an hour to sit in front of yourself (besides your own)?
Metal Gear Solid 4. I’m very curious how the game plays compared to the videos that have been shown so far.

methane47

Apparently you forgot the rest of the rest of the story..
6. How many E3’s does E3 2007 mark for you?
All 12 of them. I’ve been to every E3 including the first one in 1995.

7. Describe the pre-2007 E3 experience in five words or less.
Very stressful, little sleep…

8. Most over used phrase or expression during E3 season.

“Game of the show.” The press are so busy each trying to be the first to declare the game of the show that they ignore most of the games shown at E3 including some really good ones. Also, half the time they declare a game which is shown as video only as “Game of the Show.” A note to the press, a game by definition is interactive and so a video is not a game and cannot be game of the show.

9. You are asked to make suggestions for an E3 survival kit- what three items HAVE to be included?

Aspirin, water and a GPS unit to navigate LA.

10. Describe what you anticipate from 2007’s newly formatted E3 in five words or less.
One word, fiefdoms.

11. What’s your favorite part about developing games for a living?
My favorite part about developing games is that moment of relief and excitement when I finally see things working in the game as we meant them to be. Most people don’t realize this, but it can take more than a year of hard work and planning (some times several years) before the game is up and running as you envisioned. That whole time you are hoping that things are going to work as planned and that you are going to have a great game but you never know until that moment. It is extremely exciting when it does work and you realize you have something special.

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs ConfrontationSOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation

methane47

captive said:
'Doh i forgot you have to click the little tiny 'more' link to ge the whole article... i thought it was kind of short as per their usual blog entries.

Well just so you know .. ever "inside the developer's studio" has 10 or more questions

captive

Doel said:
Maybe it's just me but I think the game is looking much better.
Its not just you. I think that guys face looks close to real, but the illusion is wrecked by the poor gun model.

captive

Aisenherz said:
Nope! Too bad for the haters ;-)
Wow you love doing this dont you? You must be one of the people running it?

Is there a larger version of the 2nd and 3rd pics?
Yea go to the link of the pic and above the top left corner theres an "all sizes" button which makes it full res and lets you download it. :p
like this.
707843541_f1ad6daa23_o.jpg

Like someone else said, it needs some lighting, but it still looks pretty good.

Doel

Seth responded in the comments section:

Seth Luisi | July 3rd, 2007 at 4:54 pm

Thanks for the great feedback.

One note to everyone who has asked, there will be no vehicles in SOCOM Confrontation. We are focusing all of our effort and getting the best urban and on foot experience possible.

Also, I wanted to put out a special thanks to all of the guys at Slant Six Games who are working very hard right now trying to get the E3 build ready.

Seth

So I hope "no vehicles" means no vehicles EVER. And not just "no vehicles initially" which is what it seems like he's been saying.

Top Bottom