• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Trailer & Pics Analyzed

Safe Bet

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
Take it from someone who has played the series since the beginning.

The games go to shit a couple months after people find all the exploits and Zipper Interactive doesn't do shit all about it - despite promising post-release support.

They sit on their hands, don't give us updates for 6 months at a time and fall back on deadlines over and over again.
GOSPEL

I hope to hell it is well understood just how important "support" is to a game and its community...

*cross fingers*

Edit:

Screenshots?

This thread has screenshots?!?!

Madman

Cold-Steel said:
Take it from someone who has played the series since the beginning.

The games go to shit a couple months after people find all the exploits and Zipper Interactive doesn't do shit all about it - despite promising post-release support.

They sit on their hands, don't give us updates for 6 months at a time and fall back on deadlines over and over again.
It's not being developed by Zipper. Also, workload at the studio probably has a lot to do with the support issues.

Maggot9

Banned
spwolf said:
For people that dont know, different versions of SOCOM sold in over 7,000,000+ copies.

Here is what I found on PSU boards...

They were listening.

I've heard that one before.

Considering that this is the first SOCOM game that will be developed fully under the Sony Computer Entertainment umbrella, I'm holding out hope that the quality of this title will be much higher than it was with past games.

Slant Six and Zipper together now have the full resources of first party development at their disposal - I'm really hoping they make good use of it.

Looks like SOCOM:Source. :D

I hope Slant Six does a good job in Zipper's stead. At least it sounds like they're listening to the core fan base this time. If they can get back to the roots with the more intimate, tactical design of the first two I'm all over this. A shiny new 30fps Abandoned would be sweet.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Blood Lake. They need to do it. The original version. I really, really want it to make the cut. And Blizzard. And the original Rat's Nest. Might as well throw in Desert Glory while they're at it.

Crap... that's four. Crossroads makes five... grrr...

I hope they don't make new maps. Give us some of the good Socom II maps and all of the great original maps...

You don't need new maps, devs. The old maps will be just fine...

Ravenn17

recklessmind said:
Blood Lake. They need to do it. The original version. I really, really want it to make the cut. And Blizzard. And the original Rat's Nest. Might as well throw in Desert Glory while they're at it.

Crap... that's four. Crossroads makes five... grrr...

I hope they don't make new maps. Give us some of the good Socom II maps and all of the great original maps...

You don't need new maps, devs. The old maps will be just fine...

QFT. Some of the SOCOM 1 maps were arguably the greatest online maps EVER. Blizz, Blood Lake, Abandoned, Desert Glory, Rat's Nest, Ruins, etc.

Anybody down for a game? s1 or s2.

Ravenn17 said:
QFT. Some of the SOCOM 1 maps were arguably the greatest online maps EVER. Blizz, Blood Lake, Abandoned, Desert Glory, Rat's Nest, Ruins, etc.

Anybody down for a game? s1 or s2.

don't have it anymore :(

lynux3

Been in development for 4-5 months? Releasing this fall? That seems a little too soon for quality assurance.

A little off topic: Since Slant Six Games is making SOCOM: Tactical Strike (PSP) and SOCOM: Confrontation (PS3), what the heck is Zipper Interactive doing? A proper entry of the SOCOM franchise or something else?

Ravenn17

lynux3 said:
Been in development for 4-5 months? Releasing this fall? That seems a little too soon for quality assurance.

A little off topic: Since Slant Six Games is making SOCOM: Tactical Strike (PSP) and SOCOM: Confrontation (PS3), what the heck is Zipper Interactive doing? A proper entry of the SOCOM franchise or something else?

Do they even have the right to make another SOCOM game after the last 2 **** ups?

lynux3 said:

their making a true Socom game with Single/Multi game with goodies..

this one is seeming like old school socom games with upgraded graphics and maybe new maps

lynux3 said:

Zipper is hard at work at Socom 4

Doel

Safe Bet said:
Are the S1 servers still up? (my copy of S2 is on loan to a friend)

I'm down for a few games, if they are...
Yes, both SOCOM 1 & 2 servers are still up. I played SOCOM 1 couple days ago, and I regularly play SOCOM 2.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I can't believe how my anticipation for this has friggin' exploded over the last 24 hrs.

At first look I thought, "Meh..."

And then out of the blue I'm starting to look at the screens and think, "Ya know... that's not too bad. Maybe they'll upgrade the animation a little bit or something."

Thinking about Blood Lake and Blizzard does it to me every time.

I don't even care about animation.... I want this game tomorrow.

tribal24

Banned
hmm if there olny launching with 5 maps , how would there map packs look like? maybe for each map pack they can release 1 free new map at no cost>.>

Sho Nuff

Banned
I dunno if I'm happy Zipper is off the project. Their incredible apathy regarding post-release support was always a turnoff, but I wonder if that's because they never got funding to do it from their publisher in the first place (this IS a business, you know).

Aisenherz

Banned
lynux3 said:

Well, lets say.... a TRUE next-gen game needs more time! Do you want a half-baked next-gen game early, or a true next-gen game a little later?
Zipper Int. is for the second choice!

lynux3

Aisenherz said:
Well, lets say.... a TRUE next-gen game needs more time! Do you want a half-baked next-gen game early, or a true next-gen game a little later?
Zipper Int. is for the second choice!

Well, I guess I can't complain about getting both. Looks to be a old school SOCOM action and the cake comes later. I can't wait to see what Zipper has in store for us. :)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Merovingian said:
I'm getting jiggy wit it then.
The SOCOM 2 GAF clan had our very own sniper Nos_G:

6nosgtf5.jpg

Although Bloodwilltell has the most headshots in SOCOM II with 2406.

Doel

A buddy of mine managed 5th place the day after they reset the ranks (for the 2nd or 3rd time). Of course though he quickly lost his position :p

Deltain5thplace.jpg

I'm not overly impressed with the visuals. Definitely nowhere near the dusty desert city we've seen in MGS4 videos.

And while I love SOCOM online; there's no way in hell I'm parting with $599. Come down to $399 and we'll negotiate Sony, I'd buy VF5, AC4, and SOCOM for sure.

I hope they tweak the controls. I still say SOCOM controls can be streamlined and less clunky without sacrificing functionality.

S2: SackO'Puppies
S3: Stinkeye

I've been meaning to pick up CA at some point.

Doel

If you have ideas and feedback on the video and information so far, post it in here.

It's a thread of the Playstation.com boards posted by a Zipper employee. He is going to forward it to the producers.

Doel said:
If you have ideas and feedback on the video and information so far, post it in here.

It's a thread of the Playstation.com boards posted by a Zipper employee. He is going to forward it to the producers.

I really hope he does.

I put together an entire list of features I think would benefit the game from an anti-cheating standpoint.

Let's hope some of them make it into the final build.

I beta tested SOCOM 3, what a joke that was - listening to user feedback....yeah right.

It looks nice and character customization sounds fun, but I really think this game does not need an offset viewpoint like Fireteam Bravo. I've got mixed feelings about this.

Safe Bet

Banned
Escalation said:
It looks nice and character customization sounds fun, but I really think this game does not need an offset viewpoint like Fireteam Bravo. I've got mixed feelings about this.
I see no reason to "clone" the over the shoulder view so many shooters seem to be using since RE4 when the least of my SOCOM complaints has to do with the camera/view.

It did work well in Gears though...

*ponder*

Doel

Safe Bet said:
I see no reason to "clone" the over the shoulder view so many shooters seem to be using since RE4 when the least of my SOCOM complaints has to do with the camera/view.

It did work well in Gears though...

*ponder*
Ya, there are many people complaining about this on the SOCOM boards at the link I posted a few posts above. I want it to go back to its normal way as well. It was all part of the strategy of looking around corners and I don't know if it would still feel like SOCOM if they did an over the shoulder view. I'm sure its a quick fix, but the they could always give us the option of different view points with the classic style being one of the.

Doel

Kabuki Waq said:
I have not played Socom so this is a serious question....what exactly makes it a better tactical shooter than Graw?
It's hard to put into words, it just has a unique feel. Much like Counter-Strike, it's round-based, with the first team to 6 rounds won, wins the match. And when you die, you are dead for the round.

It's also a bit faster-paced then GRAW, and the maps are genius. In SOCOM 1 & 2 there are always secret areas that you can get to by jumping off a certain rock at a certain angle, and it keeps the game fresh.

I've tried playing GRAW and even bought the first one, and I just could not get into it. SOCOM 1 & 2 IMO is SO MUCH BETTER and they play very differently, that it ruined GRAW for me.

f3niks

Ravenn17 said:
Basically, just refine S1 game play, balance everything out (maps+guns). BTW, who are the socom nuts around here? Post your name / clans / server you played in s1/s2.

S1
East 2 or East 10
cyfar
=KTF= f3niks

S2
East 10
[KTF] f3niks
[v] v3rbal

S3

f3niks

Doel

In contradiction to what I initially said, me and someone else on the Playstation.com boards helped discover that these two pictures are taken from the same area, and that they are taken where the 2nd set of stairs near the Bell Tower (the ones leading into the small alleyway) used to be, and were replaced by an arch way and ally. So there is no longer a 2nd set of stairs there. When you pause the trailer (thats on GameTrailers) at about 37sec, you will see an arch way on the right side of the screen where it wasn't there before. We think thats the arch way in this picture.

socom-us-navy-seals-confrontation-20070516072628247.jpg

socom-us-navy-seals-confrontation-20070516072620700.jpg

I think this is because they now have a set of stairs leading into the balcony on both sides of the map, and with a bridge that most likely can't blow up anymore, so that does the job of replacing the need for those extra set of stairs.

I'm a SOCOM newb, so forgive my questions.
I was thinking it may be better for me to just wait for SOCOM 4 and skip this PSN Socom title. Would that be wise since it's not like I'm short of games to play.
And does SOCOM have an iron sights view? That's a must to be in tactical shooters.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:
In contradiction to what I initially said, me and someone else on the Playstation.com boards helped discover that these two pictures are taken from the same area, and that they are taken where the 2nd set of stairs near the Bell Tower (the ones leading into the small alleyway) used to be, and were replaced by an arch way and ally. So there is no longer a 2nd set of stairs there. When you pause the trailer (thats on GameTrailers) at about 37sec, you will see an arch way on the right side of the screen where it wasn't there before. We think thats the arch way in this picture.

socom-us-navy-seals-confrontation-20070516072620700.jpg

I think this is because they now have a set of stairs leading into the balcony on both sides of the map, and with a bridge that most likely can't blow up anymore, so that does the job of replacing the need for those extra set of stairs.

The lighting is actually pretty good, they need to add self-shadowing and up the texture work though. I wonder if this is an issue with the engine, or the art pipeline or what.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:

I replied and told teh dude he needs to add self-shadowing.
Indifferent2.gif

Ploid 3.0

Doel said:
They did, but sadly we don't have as many hardcore SOCOM fans on here as something like Halo. So people are less-willing to do some analysis of trailers of pics.

I understand the purpose of this thread, and I will foward it to my friend who is also a big socom fan (hate the hummers, and such of 3 and wide open areas). This is like the best gift to fans of 1 and 2. Now I understand what halo people feel. ALso thanks for pointing out new things in crossroads from this trailer. I noticed the new stuff but didn't quite try to figure out what they lead to. This is going to be sick. Can't wait. Crossroads at night.. my gawd. Wonder what's in store for the other maps, and what the larger crossroads is like. I read that you can choose to play on a larger Crossroads if you have more people that open up more parts of the map. Not huge fields or anything just a nother wing so to speak.

Ploid 3.0

Safe Bet said:
I...

Wolf Pact and/or Safe Bet

US Central

I run solo usally....

PS

I still remember when "earning your wings" meant something...

I hope it can be that way again...

I only got wings once, and it didnt last the day lol. I was in [GAF] clan. After they reset the rank I kinda stayed butter sticks, and never got to cookie again.

GrayFoxPL

Ravenn17 said:

Proof that internet isn't 100% lies. The man spreads The Truth!

I was a GOD on Abandoned in S1. Oh, good times. I really loved first Socom the best. (Most likely because I was good at it and sucked so much on Second on for some reason :D )

No 1 one serious Console online shooter. Gamers that are into online shooters with aim assist should see what's it really all about. :D

GrayFoxPL said:
Proof that internet isn't 100% lies. The man spreads The Truth!

I was a GOD on Abandoned in S1. Oh, good times. I really loved first Socom the best. (Most likely because I was good at it and sucked so much on Second on for some reason :D )

No 1 one serious Console online shooter. Gamers that are into online shooters with aim assist should see what's it really all about. :D

the reason 2 wasn't as good as 1 was because they added health bars and it took longer to kill people. And they ruined some of the best old maps.

Andokuky

Banned
Sony only has to update SOCOM 2 with better graphics and release it on PS3 and I will put $600 down on day ONE. By far the most enjoyable online console game I have ever played. If this franchise were available with better graphics and Live support on Xbox consoles, I think it would be just as popular as Halo and GRAW/R6. SOCOM 2 was online perfection. The only small problem was hit detection that sucked at times. The maps were fantastic, by far the best ratio of good/crap maps I have ever seen in a game.

Desert Glory = great
Foxhunt = great
Frostfire = great
Blizzard = great
Night Stalker = omg great
Chain Reaction = omg great
Vigilance = great
Crossroads = great
Death Trap = great
Sujo = omg great
The Mixer = good
Rats Nest = meh
Abandoned = meh (only because they changed it to night)
The Ruins = good
Blood Lake = meh
Bitter Jungle = meh (only because it's a choppy mess)
Sandstorm = good
Fish Hook = good (would have been great without the choppiness)
Shadow Fallas = good (a little too big imho)
Enowapi = good
Guidance = meh
Requiem = great

Have they said which of these maps will be on this game? They have to include some Desert Glory and Night Stalker. I'd love to see Chain Reaction too but I don't see that happening with 32 players.

GrayFoxPL

DemonSwordsman said:
the reason 2 wasn't as good as 1 was because they added health bars and it took longer to kill people. And they ruined some of the best old maps.

You're right. In S1 when I sneaked on the guy from the back or sides I was 100% sure I'd kill the guy. In S2 I can't count how many times due to lag and long health bars the guy menaged to turn and kill me, then fall after 2 clips of lead I packed into his back earlier. :lol

And don't get me started on head shot hit detection.

GrayFoxPL

Andokuky said:
Abandoned = meh (only because they changed it to night)

God, you've remind me of it...

The shock, pain, tears and cry when I saw what they've done to it in S2 can only compare to waking up with Jack Thompson's cock in mouth...balls deep!
:(
:\

Steroyd

Cold-Steel said:
You know, after seeing all this and taking a step back - I want to know how they are going to address SOCOM's biggest problem: post-release rampant cheating and discovery of game exploits.

I mean, the promise of post-release content is great but where is the promise of post-release game support?

Support can make or break the series for most people.

Surely you can't hold that against Zipper they only had 8MB worth of patching available to them which is worth **** to Socom. :/

Top Bottom