• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q3 - 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Official camera equipment thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144603

Hi Photo gaf! Awesome photos in this thread!

Bought my first "real" camera before going to Europe last year, here are some random shots I took.

8608414938_b8d9b367c4.jpg

8607316123_6aa1b44391.jpg

8607264375_ab059e8ecd.jpg

8537957121_fc7aa8077a.jpg

8537957507_c81a58d85d.jpg

8607227529_1cd74a79ba.jpg

9167217789_8cd5022017_c.jpg

My dog can look quite noble at times.

I was at Copenhagen Zoo again on a really rainy day.

Banded Mongoose Group by Cdammen, on Flickr

Another Unnamed Butterfly by Cdammen, on Flickr

Emu by Cdammen, on Flickr

Getting one final pic here on the last day of Q2... new thread time?
electric.png

Q3 people! Where has this year gone?

Since, it is the start of Q3, many american's will be celebrating their countries freedom by blowing up small pieces of it. I would like to challenge those photographing fireworks to show us something different with them. :)

That said, any all photos and cameras are welcome here.

Fox1304

Reposting here in the new thread since it'll be lost in the old one.

Does anybody has any experience with lens adapters ? I don't, and have no idea what are the pros/cons.

I have a Nikon J1, and am currently looking at a Canon EOS adapter, since I have a 50mm 1.8 and 55-250mm from my 550D.
If I'm right, with the J1's CX sensor, they would become a 135mm and 148-675mm, giving me a nice low light portrait and long long range zoom for basically 30$.
Is that right ?

Also, is there a significant quality loss using those kind of adapters ? I think I would lose the AF function too.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Reposting here in the new thread since it'll be lost in the old one.

Does anybody has any experience with lens adapters ? I don't, and have no idea what are the pros/cons.

I have a Nikon J1, and am currently looking at a Canon EOS adapter, since I have a 50mm 1.8 and 55-250mm from my 550D.
If I'm right, with the J1's CX sensor, they would become a 135mm and 148-675mm, giving me a nice low light portrait and long long range zoom for basically 30$.
Is that right ?

Also, is there a significant quality loss using those kind of adapters ? I think I would lose the AF function too.
more or less that is correct.

You need to have lenses that have aperture control and true manual focus, instead of focus by wire that a lot of new lenses have. Most adapters (there are some that have AF/aperture control) turn your lens into full manual mode, so without the aparture ring you probably wont be able to control your aperture.

There shouldn't be any quality loss, you're not adding any extra glass, I have seen some people say it makes their old lenses a little better since you are only using the center portion of the lens, IE the sharpest portion of it, with a smaller sensor.

Fox1304

more or less that is correct.

You need to have lenses that have aperture control and true manual focus, instead of focus by wire that a lot of new lenses have. Most adapters (there are some that have AF/aperture control) turn your lens into full manual mode, so without the aparture ring you probably wont be able to control your aperture.

There shouldn't be any quality loss, you're not adding any extra glass, I have seen some people say it makes their old lenses a little better since you are only using the center portion of the lens, IE the sharpest portion of it, with a smaller sensor.

Yes that's what I'm thinking could become a pain.
The lenses are some Canon EOS lenses and the device a Nikon 1.
I've searched a while on the web but disn't manage to find anyone who would have tried such a combination.
I also have the possibility to use a Nikon lenses to Nikon 1 adapter. If my intel is right I would be able to use AF but only on a central point and only ponctual AF. Could be interesting.

But that 18mm f/1.8 nikon 1 is certainly starting to look more appealing to me with all those restrictions. I'm in need of some bokeh :D ( quite hard to get with such a small sensor ).

nilbog21

Banned
been talking with some girl who is getting into photography and she wants to buy some software like adobe photoshop and asked me which ones she should get.. I have no idea as I never doctor my photos, what do u guys use?

hEist

been talking with some girl who is getting into photography and she wants to buy some software like adobe photoshop and asked me which ones she should get.. I have no idea as I never doctor my photos, what do u guys use?

photoshop and lightroom for organizing my images.
if she is totally new into photography/post processing, she should better start with Lightroom. It's much more friendly for beginners for editing quick.
Photoshop could be a bit too huge in the beginning.

So I've been bored as hell a lot recently since I'm not really enjoying video games like I used to and decided to get back into photography. I started in 2011 and just stopped after that with short bursts between then and now, and I don't think the quality of my shots have improved(I lack the basic knowledge still).

I had asked for some helpful material for a beginner in a previous thread and was recommended http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3CUN3H1L8URSX&coliid=I3QH1JB7MQXMNC

Do you guys think it's still a good place for a beginner in photography to start?

So I've been bored as hell a lot recently since I'm not really enjoying video games like I used to and decided to get back into photography. I started in 2011 and just stopped after that with short bursts between then and now, and I don't think the quality of my shots have improved(I lack the basic knowledge still).

I had asked for some helpful material for a beginner in a previous thread and was recommended http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3CUN3H1L8URSX&coliid=I3QH1JB7MQXMNC

Do you guys think it's still a good place for a beginner in photography to start?

yup. great book

Number45

Yeah it is, at least for getting to grips with how ISO, shutter speed and aperture work together. The book loses it later on for me as he seems to forget you're still learning ("so I took out my tripod, set the shutter speed to x, ISO to y and aperture to z"... without any mention of why) but the first half is great.

If you're going for the digital edition I'd also recommend it on something that has a good colour screen. The example pictures are not great quality, but with a Kindle (which is what I used initially) I couldn't see anything of worth - reading it a second time on the iPad made all the difference.

Loving my new 5d Mark III, i'm not crazy about the kit lens but the camera is amazing. These were taken with my nifty fifty.
I picked one up a couple of weeks back. Struggling to find the time to actually take any pictures though.

I'm not really big into photography, but on a whim I bought a Nikon D40 awhile back. I'm generally all thumbs with anything artistic, but I did snap this picture of one of our lamb's face when we got her. Always liked the picture.

ynXiCaU.jpg

I've never ventured into OT before, but I saw someone mention something about a photography thread on the gaming side so I figured I should check it out.

Anyway, hello, and here's some recent stuff:

Anywhere else photography related on GAF that I should check out?

Cdammen

Some experimental stuff I've been working on.
That looks pretty cool. I like the tones and shapes. Milk and food coloring? :)

I was in Söderåsen national park (in Scania, Sweden) a couple of days ago. Not too much to show for it though. Will return, there's another route I want to take, and I'll stay till sunset. The vegetation is really dense in that place.

Log over Stream by Cdammen, on Flickr

Rock Slide by Cdammen, on Flickr

Hike Trail by Cdammen, on Flickr

That looks pretty cool. I like the tones and shapes. Milk and food coloring? :)

Yeah with some dish soap for agitation. I had been filming it for a video I'm working in and decided to set it up again today and do some stills. I've learned that this is an effect tat REALLY has to be in motion for the full OOMPH but I'm pretty happy with the stills.

You have some really nice greens in your shots. Very cool.

Woah, Guess, that last pic is blowing my mind. Fantastic work. Love the contrast with the snow...and the clouds..and.. just wow.

Edit: Did you use a polarizer?

Guiberu

Beautiful shots in this thread.

Thought I'd share a couple of snaps I took today.

. said:

Shot using a 550D and a Nikon E Series 50mm I bought from eBay for £20. All metal. All manual. It's wonderful.

This is more manipulation-y than most things I've seen here, but I'll post it anyway. It's a small practice thing I did to see how hard it would be to pull off the fruit/limb thing, before I go through all the hassle of setting up the shot I have in mind. I shot the lemon at the wrong angle, so I had to stretch it out in Photoshop to make it kinda fit in with the photo of my hand.

I also have a few photos I took of a wedding I suppose I should post here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom