• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q3 - 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD

DD, that's a great compelling image to look at. I get absorbed.

Thank you, mister!
icon_love.gif

Playing around with the dog's chew, there's a little sad face in the top two :D

Just a quick edit on iPhoto for these. I have Pixelmator (no photoshop for the foreseeable future) but I'm still quite green with it.

This is really cool! It's so gross and creepy and completely unrecognizable. Also don't underestimate Pixelmator, I live that app!

Hyoushi

Tried some low light stuff with the RX100 at a club, also tried the pop-up flash for the first time. Way too strong as expected, and sadly no way to dial it down in settings either... ended up trying to cover parts of it up with my finger, also tried using a bar napkin as a diffuser. Only included one flash shot here though.

djdiadem.png

feet.png

digga2.png

dohnguns.png

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Can I get some critique for this?

i'm no street photographer, so take this for whatever its worth.

I want to see his eyes, not his side profile, even if he's looking down thats great, it conveys emotion. Is he playing? is he between songs? I can't tell cause of the angle. The instrument is a part of the musician and in some cases almost as important as the musician themselves, so I also want to see his guitar.

When I see a street musician, what draws me to them is not only the music, but how emotive they are when they are playing, that's what I would try to capture.

I definitely like the black and white tones and processing, something about color street photography is very very hard to do right and often instantly dates the photo to a certain time period.

elfinke

Here are some recent shots taken with one of my brand new birthday presents (I should post it over in the July pick-up thread, keep forgetting!) - a Pentax K30.

The first is the Milky Way as seen from the Southern Hemisphere. It's a 15 sec exposure at ISO 3200, f/2.8 at 17mm (I kind of wanted the satellite dish in the photo, just this once atleast). Focus wasn't perfect and I didn't use mirror-lock, which is a way of saying it's far from perfect but at the time I just wanted to see for myself what I could do with this new camera.

I've built a Barn Door tracker and am just awaiting my ballhead mount to arrive to complete it. Once it arrives and I have the tracker completed I'll be able to take far longer exposures, allowing either for zooming on DSO or for lengthier exposures at lower ISO. Either way, it's a win win.

The second and third photos were taken today (cold, foggy, wet and wood-smoky morning made for some interesting photo opportunities, particularly of godrays through steam rising off the road in the drive to work). I got close to what I wanted from the spider web picture, but the flowers I was hoping the slats in the fence would be more dramatic to draw your eye into the bottom centre of the picture. ALso, the unbloomed flower at the bottom is more distracting then I thought it would be. Ah well, next time!

Fourth pic is of the rail of the boat we went whale watching on. Didn't quite pull off the shot I wanted (focus of the DOF needed to be a bit further up the picture), but it's still a little bit of fun. Got some wonderful photos of the two Humpback Whales we saw though :)

The fifth is one my favourite photos from my recent holiday. I saw this guy every evening I went walking along the beach, but caught him and his Pelican mate on this evening pretty well.

Sixth is a Pelican checking himself out (not really, but I tried to capture it as though that was what was going on!)

Last is my dog, Toby and the only decent portrait I've ever taken!

I've started taking my camera to work with me (I work in a regional town in NSW, Australia), and on my walk to work I pass Kangaroos, common ducks, deer, sheep, a thousand different parrots and a number of other interesting things to practice taking photos with.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors

MuggerMD

Banned
Hey photography-Gaf!

Tomorrow I have been assigned with the task of taking a family portrait. I am pretty amateur when it comes to taking photos.

I have a D90 with the stock 18-105mm lens, a tripod, remote shutter clicker (so I can be in the pic too), lens hood, and a UV filter.

What tips can you give me as far as settings go, and set up. Most likely the photo will be taken outdoors with plenty of light. (Maybe too much)

Any help would be appreciated!

mrkgoo

Hey photography-Gaf!

Tomorrow I have been assigned with the task of taking a family portrait. I am pretty amateur when it comes to taking photos.

I have a D90 with the stock 18-105mm lens, a tripod, remote shutter clicker (so I can be in the pic too), lens hood, and a UV filter.

What tips can you give me as far as settings go, and set up. Most likely the photo will be taken outdoors with plenty of light. (Maybe too much)

For portraits, the main thing I would consider is lighting, framing, posture and expression. Don't use harsh overhead lighting, don't use wide angle closeup. See if you can sparkle in the eyes by using some sort of fill flash out doors, and maybe a reflector to fill in under shadows.

elfinke

Hey photography-Gaf!

Make sure the eyes are in focus, not the bridge of the nose or cow lick hairline etc. I guess you could tinker around with your white balance too, depending on conditions but if you take good photos first and foremost you can always alter white balance in post processing.

Also be aware of your surroundings - no branches or telegraph poles sticking out of people's heads and so on :)

Otherwise take heaps of photos and have fun!

Red

I'm currently trying to edit some headshots for print and trying to convert RGB to CMYK color space. I know the gamut is different for each and expect a change in color, but I'm running into a problem where while in Photoshop the image appears the same in CMYK as it did before the conversion, but once it is saved and viewed with a different program it appears washed out... Is there any way to get Photoshop to display the images properly, or is it that everything else is displaying them improperly?

Damaged

Three from this week.

Wooden Dry-Dock Rail by Cdammen, on Flickr

Table at Wedding Reception by Cdammen, on Flickr

Curious Sheep by Cdammen, on Flickr

So much great work posted already this month, these two stood out allot for me.

As far as my shots go,... another weekend, another race meeting, think ive slept in most paddocks in the country already this year...

Andeeeh

I thought I'd have a go at reprocessing some photos I took in North Korea back when I got my first proper camera in 2010.

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

These images are amazing, I would love to go to North Korea, but I am too much of a pussy. I know there are controlled tour groups that you can go with, but I don't know....

Andeeeh

So much great work posted already this month, these two stood out allot for me.

As far as my shots go,... another weekend, another race meeting, think ive slept in most paddocks in the country already this year...

Thanks man. Your image reminds me of something, The low angle and the guy with the helmet walking in your picture reminds of a GT screenshot I saw somewhere haha

Damaged

Thanks man. Your image reminds me of something, The low angle and the guy with the helmet walking in your picture reminds of a GT screenshot I saw somewhere haha

Now that you mention it I think I know the screenshot you mentioned! must be a subliminal influence! :)

These images are amazing, I would love to go to North Korea, but I am too much of a pussy. I know there are controlled tour groups that you can go with, but I don't know....

It is probably one of the safer places on earth, after all you are being watched 24/7! ;)

Seriously though don't let it be a regret. If you wanna go, I'd highly recommend it.

Hyoushi

I'm currently trying to edit some headshots for print and trying to convert RGB to CMYK color space. I know the gamut is different for each and expect a change in color, but I'm running into a problem where while in Photoshop the image appears the same in CMYK as it did before the conversion, but once it is saved and viewed with a different program it appears washed out... Is there any way to get Photoshop to display the images properly, or is it that everything else is displaying them improperly?

You should use the color proofing mode. Set the CMYK color profile you're converting to as your active CMYK profile in Photoshop's color settings (or in Bridge, if you have the settings synced between CS apps). You can then display proof colors with Cmd/Ctrl+Y, and display color clipping warnings with Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+Y.

(._.)

Banned
I'm a lot more comfortable getting close to people and taking their photographs. I'm thinking of going out into less social areas and doing it now. Maybe start taking photos of people riding the light rail next? I'd like to slowly work my comfort levels up into dangerous neighborhoods so that I can take photographs we usually never see candid. Some of my recent shots at the place I hang out at.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Really lovely stuff on this page, everyone! I particularly love Andeeeh's photos of Japan.

I recently travelled through Oregon, including the Oregon Coast, and this is the first of many photos from the trip. I'm looking forward to digging into more of them. It's a stunningly beautiful part of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom