• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
rakka said:
No, I wasn't aware. Please tell me why :-\

So you don't know, but you're saying I deserve a ban.

Who the hell is Olimario?

Olimario was once a well loved GAffer who one day pointed at photos of apes and monkeys and mixed them up using race as a factor... Your post was very Olimario-ish

This is a good thread keep the stupid shit out

rakka

Smiles and Cries said:
Olimario was once a well loved GAffer who one day pointed at photos of apes and monkeys and mixed them up using race as a factor... Your post was very Olimario-ish

So when someone else points out that RE5 is racist (as a joke, just today) they deserve a ban too? (wasn't me -- it has appeared in RE5 threads many times already)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
rakka said:
samus_070718b-l.jpg

racist

I don't even get how this is racist.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
rakka said:
So when someone else points out that RE5 is racist (as a joke, just today) they deserve a ban too? (wasn't me -- it has appeared in RE5 threads many times already)

No, only when you do shit that makes you look like Olimario.

:lol

rakka said:

dude it just means bishoptl is busy working on that kickass Turok game - it was just a warning. don't follow the memes sheesh

I don't want Samus to be the only player like this... I would like to see Zelda have another custom

MaddenNFL64 said:
The history of Olimario is pretty ****ed up in a 'I destroyed my own life for a DS' kind of way.

I thought it was for a PSP? :D

I dunno that dude is a legend but damn shame I missed his girlfriend pics
I was not on that day

Screenboy

lostzenfound said:
So does being without armor mean that Zero Suit Samus will be more susceptible to damage or have poorer abilities? If that's the case, Samus just got broke, as no other character seems to have a penalty for using a Final Smash.

Maybe Samus' Final Smash is the strongest so so it comes with a price.

Nintaiyo

Wow, this thread is a mess. Glad nobody here is freaking out about this. I trust Sakurai, and I don' t think he'd do something that'd completely mess with how hardcore Samus players fight.

superbank said:
:lol :lol :lol

Thanks for the update, Sakurai. Another feature from the trailer confirmed. Why anyone doubted it I don't know. Again, everything from the first trailer can happen in the final game.

I loves me some insane over powered beam action. It looks cool.

samus_070718e-l.jpg

:lol

Kirby's face is always dumb.

Haunted

A big fat 'lol' at the hardcore players. I know schadenfreude is bad, but I just can't help it. :lol

Awesome. Finally ends some of the speculation and I hope that's the only way to get to play Zero Suit Samus. I like the mechanic.

But what happens when Zero Suit Samus picks up a smash ball?

Thriller

I started playing smash again a couple of days ago with one of my mates and we are at a pretty high level, i really hope that putting all these cool things in brawl will change the gameplay.
In melee it was skills and a bit of luck with the items, it better be well balanced or it will not feel the same.
But, if this game goes online and its still shit ill buy it anyway:p

Kreed

Seems like a fair trade off in terms of Samus. Samus's Zero laser is probably one of (if not the) most powerful final smash moves in the game, and Samus being able to do it multiple times isn't a good idea. Plus, it looks cool.

In terms of Zero Suit Samus, I'm sure Sakurai will slip in a way to play as her from the start without having to get an item. Either as a selectable character, or a button combination.

:lol @ the smashboards

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted One said:
A big fat 'lol' at the hardcore players. I know schadenfreude
wtf you seriously took "schadenfreude" into american english?

Now that I think of it, it would be a cool name for some 0815 Shoot'em'up.
Schadenfreude-X Blut Soldat Holzschreibtisch or something.

Well, I think all of you can safely ignore this posting.

Smiles and Cries said:

Olimario did that? ****ing asshole

Nabs

Nintaiyo said:
Wow, this thread is a mess. Glad nobody here is freaking out about this. I trust Sakurai, and I don' t think he'd do something that'd completely mess with how hardcore Samus players fight.

that dacvak guy is a complete mess

Wow this update is awesome. The final smash seems very destructive. Feels very dragon ball-ish to me.

Also, Samus transforming into Zero-Suit when using the final smash doesn't surprise me. Many people called it, right in this thread. I think that's awesome. And lol at the people saying Sakurai ruined the game, wishing him death and wanting to commit suicide. I think they take this game (and probably all games in general) a tad too seriously :lol

This update is so awesome. I don't see how this DOESN'T add layers of strategy into being Samus (a, sorry to say, relatively dull character the past few games). When should you use it? Play the whole match as Samus? Get to Zero Suit as soon as possible? Me like.

MatiasB said:
That is something pretty stupid for a fighting game.

Yeah. Good thing SSB isn't a fighting game.

Baryn said:
If Zero Suit Samus isn't a gimp, then I am quite happy with this.

I'm sure she'll be a perfectly able character, but think about it like this:

What if your favorite character to play as was Mario, but after you used your Final Smash you have to play as Jigglypuff for the duration of the match. Now, Jiggs is a fine character. I wouldn't exactly call her a "gimp"... but I definitely hate playing as her. I just don't like her playstyle. It'd really annoy the shit out of me if I couldn't use Mario's FS unless I wanted to play as Jigglypuff for the rest of the match, even though Jigglypuff is a good character, and better than Mario in some ways.

Obviously that "transformation" makes no sense, given the characters, but consider it from a gameplay perspective-- using your FS forces you to play as a different character (with a VERY different playstyle) when you really just want to play as Samus. It makes sense why some aren't crazy about it... it's cool from an aesthetic perspective, but potentially quite lame from a gameplay perspective. Though yeah, some of those SmashBoards people need some serious help. :lol

Dr.Hadji

Date of Lies said:
I get the feeling Hal might be adding too much "super attacks" in this iteration (not just the final smashes either, Wario's charged up fart for example), and hence, reducing the depth of the game. I hope I'm wrong, SSBM had was a very deep fighting game when playing at a high level.

Too much? One per character is too much? Limited use of super attacks is too much? This isn't MvC2 where every character can use their super attack all at the same time over and over until a timer runs out.

Secondly, Wario's fart attack is very much like Bowsers (and bowser kirby's) fire breath. It's stronger when you don't use it so that you give it a chance to recharge. This is also like your shields too. Wario's fart is nothing "too special."

Therefore, the things you fear will "reduce the depth" aren't really what you should be afraid of. If you want to worry about something, then worry that Sakurai won't balance out the characters. Melee is horribly unbalanced.

zbarron

Considering that in Zero Mission Zero Suit Samus was ridiculously weak, I'd say this is probably a punishment for such a strong move.

And if the Smash Balls can come more than once per game I'd assume if you acquired one as ZSS you would get your suit back but it'd be more powerful and perhaps have the screw attack as a default.

zbarron said:
Considering that in Zero Mission Zero Suit Samus was ridiculously weak, I'd say this is probably a punishment for such a strong move.

It's never a good idea to use the series canon as indication of how a Smash character will play. I can't really remember a time when Princess Peach stormed through the Mushroom Kingdom kicking ass either. :lol

And if the Smash Balls can come more than once per game I'd assume if you acquired one as ZSS you would get your suit back but it'd be more powerful and perhaps have the screw attack as a default.

Screw attack is already default. It's Samus' up+B...

Markster

WastingPenguins said:
It's never a good idea to use the series canon as indication of how a Smash character will play. I can't really remember a time when Princess Peach stormed through the Mushroom Kingdom kicking ass either. :lol
Icon-SuperMarioBrothers2.png

Haunted

Bufbaf said:
wtf you seriously took "schadenfreude" into american english?

Now that I think of it, it would be a cool name for some 0815 Shoot'em'up.
Schadenfreude-X Blut Soldat Holzschreibtisch or something.

Well, I think all of you can safely ignore this posting.
click.

:D
and for the record, I'm trying to speak/type BrE anyway. :p

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Well... I have to admit I was wrong about the whole ZSS debate. However, I really wish I ended up being right... not for my pride (don't care about that), but because I really dislike this idea. :(

This is all speculation, I know that, but think about it:

It doesn't make much sense to me for ZSS to be powerful. 1) Dojo makes it sound like the Final Smash laser itself is VERY powerful and dangerous. If turning into ZSS makes you a more powerful character, isn't this too much? Wouldn't the beam itself be weaker and the true benefit come from the 'shapeshift'? 2) Having ZSS be more powerful without her suit doesn't make much sense from a character 'lore' standpoint... why would Samus go around in a big ol' powersuit all the time if she was more effective with it off? (Though who knows if Sakurai cares about something like this)

So IF Zero Suit Samus is weaker... being forced to play as a weaker character for the rest of the match is a pretty big punishment. Although maybe when you die you get your suit back (a la Popo dying and getting Nana back)... in that case, it just seems weird that ZSS is only playable in such short bursts.

Not to mention that if Smash Balls are turned off, it looks like ZSS isn't playable at all? That's lame. (Unless she is playable when you hold down the A button at character select... but then again, as discussed above, do you get your suit back when you die? This whole thing raises so many questions.)

I'm not crazy about this at all. Of course I'll give it a fair shot when I play the game, but we've got months before then and all we can do right now is speculate. :p

I wonder if this DOES mean Sheik is back. o_O One of the main reasons I thought he was gone for sure was because his moveset seemed to be copied over to ZSS, and this game seems less likely to have clones than melee. But if ZSS is only a temporary transformation and not a normal selectable character... who knows.

zbarron

WastingPenguins said:

Screw attack is already default. It's Samus' up+B...
If Zero Suit Samus was a good fighter the site wouldn't say:
...But afterward, Samus has a problem.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I meant Screw Attack+Space Jump.

Hopefully I'll be posting that Colbert GIF soon.

Baryn

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
I'm sure she'll be a perfectly able character, but think about it like this:

What if your favorite character to play as was Mario, but after you used your Final Smash you have to play as Jigglypuff for the duration of the match. Now, Jiggs is a fine character. I wouldn't exactly call her a "gimp"... but I definitely hate playing as her. I just don't like her playstyle. It'd really annoy the shit out of me if I couldn't use Mario's FS unless I wanted to play as Jigglypuff for the rest of the match, even though Jigglypuff is a good character, and better than Mario in some ways.

Obviously that "transformation" makes no sense, given the characters, but consider it from a gameplay perspective-- using your FS forces you to play as a different character (with a VERY different playstyle) when you really just want to play as Samus. It makes sense why some aren't crazy about it... it's cool from an aesthetic perspective, but potentially quite lame from a gameplay perspective. Though yeah, some of those SmashBoards people need some serious help. :lol
Samus might get her suit back after dying, she might get it back after a certain amount of time elapses. This probably isn't the only way to play as Zero Suit Samus anyway.

Baryn said:
Samus might get her suit back after dying, she might get it back after a certain amount of time elapses. This probably isn't the only way to play as Zero Suit Samus anyway.

That's what I think too, Samus will probably get back her suit when she dies. And as zbarron said, Sakurai clearly stated that Zero Suit Samus was weak. But I don't think there will be other ways of playing as ZSS, especially if she's a weak character (why would you want to play with her then?).

I wonder if other characters also have disadvantages when using their final smash...

I think it's a pretty brilliant balancing act. Most Samus players are complaining because now they can't use the optional Final Smash without turning in to a character they thus far know nothing about. If Samus' final blast is really so powerful, there should be a punishment for using it. That punishment is having to adapt to a different playstyle now.

So Samus players now have a choice. They can either use their absurdly strong final smash or they can't. Simple as that. It does not seem something someone else can do to you will force you to change, so it's a balancing act for those players now. Stay strong Samus or use a final desperation move to fend everyone else off.

If you ask me, it's the most Samus-y thing about her Smash character so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom