• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shinobix said:
Well I never liked YOU that much either.
yoshi.jpg

Nintaiyo

Comparisons:
yoshi.jpg
ssbm-yoshi.jpg

yoshi_070724a-l.jpg
ssbm-yoshi-lg.png

yoshi_070724b-l.jpg
ssbm-nd-yoshi6.jpg

Sorry that one pic is so big. I actually like the new design better. I like the new eyes better, the scales have been rounded off, the boots are brown instead of red, and his green skin looks less obnoxious and more realistic.

GhaleonQ

Bah, I liked "noble steed Yoshi" far better. *stretches* WOO! I'm ready for Melee now that my character (presumably) is confirmed.

Shinobix said:
Edit: Actually, I have Melee in my Gamecube right now. *laughs* But, yeah, I was ready for Brawl at the Wii launch, so that goes without saying.

DarkKyo

WordAssassin said:
What the f*ck are you talking about? He looked like a realistic Yoshi's Island in Melee. After Yoshi's Island Nintendo buttf*cked Yoshi and made him a shitty little child. God dammit I hate the Yoshi's Story look and what it's done to the character soooo much. Seriously whever I see it I'm just filled with anger. Nintendo got it right in YI! Why did they feel the need to change him?

:mad:

ssbm-yoshi-lg.png

Look at him. Just look at him. His nose is too small and he looks mildly retarded. Seriously, I only played Yoshi in Melee because I like the character-- but his re-design for Melee made me want to vomit.

Seeing as how Yoshi's Story was his first(errr, second, if you consider his design in Super Mario 64 mattering) leap to a semi-3D character design, I'm so happy that we're seeing a similar design with this model.

Geez, I wish people would stop complaining about site updates. They're not really trying to give us a megaton every time because I doubt this game HAS enough megatons to last until release. Expect lots of filler and stop complaining about it. :p

fusoya59

Sweet! My character has arrived!

I'm guessing that his up + B won't add much (but still significant to the hardcore!) to his recovery. Prolly something like how Mario's cape or spin move helps him recover from impossible distances.

Dechaios said:
ssbm-yoshi-lg.png

Look at him. Just look at him. His nose is too small and he looks mildly retarded. Seriously, I only played Yoshi in Melee because I like the character-- but his re-design for Melee made me want to vomit.

Seeing as how Yoshi's Story was his first(errr, second, if you consider his design in Super Mario 64 mattering) leap to a semi-3D character design, I'm so happy that we're seeing a similar design with this model.
In that picture I see a lizard/dinosaur. His nose is PERFECT. The f*cking enormous grapefruit nosed Yoshi that was born out of Yoshi's Story needs to f*cking die. I hate it so much it makes me sick. I am so pissed right now. You wanna talk mildly retarded take a look at tonight's Smash Bros update again.

Fuck!

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Yes. The new Yoshi's nose does look like a bowling ball. But calm down. No need to lose sleep over it.

WordAssassin said:
In that picture I see a lizard/dinosaur. His nose is PERFECT. The f*cking enormous grapefruit nosed Yoshi that was born out of Yoshi's Story needs to f*cking die. I hate it so much it makes me sick. I am so pissed right now. You wanna talk mildly retarded take a look at tonight's Smash Bros update again.

Fuck!

:lol I can't even think of anything witty to say about this, but you just made staying up for a kinda lame update worth it.

I won't lose sleep but I've got a right to be angry about this. Yoshi may not be my favorite Smash character but he's in my top 5 favorite Nintendo characters. He was flawless in Yoshi's Island and then everything after that (save Smash Melee) just f*cked him up so bad. Dammit. Dammit dammit dammit.

fernoca said:
Wow guys!
Arguing about how a 4-5 ' green dinosaur, that wears boots...doesn't look like a realistic dinaosaur anymore??
You've completely missed the point. They didn't make him non realistic. I was almost hoping they'd pull something Wind Waker-esque and crayon-shade him so he'd match his levels.
What Nintendo did was take Yoshi, and make him a baby. Then that one character, from one game, which was a prequel mind you!, erased the older Yoshi from existence. I don't give to shits if he looks realistic or not but it's that they went with the deplorably deformed child Yoshi design over the classic dinosaur design that's got my panties in a knot!

DarkKyo

WordAssassin said:
I won't lose sleep but I've got a right to be angry about this. Yoshi may not be my favorite Smash character but he's in my top 5 favorite Nintendo characters. He was flawless in Yoshi's Island and then everything after that (save Smash Melee) just f*cked him up so bad. Dammit. Dammit dammit dammit.

I don't know where you're getting that. What fcked him up? Hate to say it, but when they gave him a voice and a re-design, they gave him a personality-- he was just a mode of transportation before that.

Shinobix

At least your character made it back. Falco hasn't been confirmed yet and most people bet he won't make an appearance on Brawl.

fernoca

WordAssassin said:
You've completely missed the point. They didn't make him non realistic. I was almost hoping they'd pull something Wind Waker-esque and crayon-shade him so he'd match his levels.
What Nintendo did was take Yoshi, and make him a baby. Then that one character, from one game, which was a prequel mind you!, erased the older Yoshi from existence. I don't give to shits if he looks realistic or not but it's that they went with the deplorably deformed child Yoshi design over the classic dinosaur design that's got my panties in a knot!
I didn't missed your point..
But Nintendo has been using similar looking Yoshis and the same voice-over for them since Yoshi's Story in the late 90s..heck, if anything the Melee version was a "realistic" version of the Yoshi from Story, seeing how he even had the same voice and everything..

So, is not like Nintendo/Sakurai betrayed you with this update, because if anything..it was expected, considering that Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Baseball, Mario Party...and even Super Mario 64DS..had that same Yoshi model...and all were released after Melee...so this wasn't a surprise.

PkunkFury

Finally!

Since Yoshi is my favorite smasher I've been waiting for this one since the website went up!

Not sure what to think about the egg toss increasing his jump, obviously it's a good thing, but it better not change the egg toss any, or the size of his kick ass second jump. Yoshi's uniqueness with two jumps was part of what made him interesting. Still, he needs something for those occasions the second jump is denied, so it's nice he may have another option

THE GREEN CRAYOLA ESQUE DINOSAUR IS NOW TOO KIDDY

GOD I AM GOING TO RIP UP MY NINTENDO SHRINE OVER THIS

**** YOU SAKURAI I AM ONLY BUYING TWO COPIES OF BRAWL NOW

WordAssassin said:

OMG! :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm loving the new Yoshi model. I was kind of wondering what on earth they would've done with him in the transition from Melee to Brawl. Looks like he's done a Bowser and withdrawn away from his more saurian look to become something more authentic-looking.

Love how all the characters have nice, subtle shadow baking in their textures too. Mmmm mm.

Dechaios said:
I don't know where you're getting that. What fcked him up? Hate to say it, but when they gave him a voice and a re-design, they gave him a personality-- he was just a mode of transportation before that.
Dude no way. That sound he makes in SMW and YI when he flutter-jumps or you jump on and off him are classics.

I'll try to explain it like this. Take Mario. For years we've known him to look a certain way, sound a certain way, etc. Let's say Nintendo makes a prequel Mario game where Mario is a teenager. He wears his hat sideways, he doesn't have the mustache, let's say he wears a jacket and jeans instead of his overalls and shirt. Nobody exactly likes this Mario but it's ok for this game because that's apparently how Mario looked when he was younger.

Now imagine that Mario replacing the classic Mario in everything. Nintendo basically erases the classic Mario from existence and forever onwards used shitty teenager Mario.

That is what Nintendo did with Yoshi. Unlike Mario and Baby Mario, Older Yoshi isn't still around. He's been completely replaced by shitty child Yoshi with his annoying voice, poor design and ridiculously enormous nose. How does he even see over his nose anymore? He can't, that's how, and all the Yoshies everywhere die while they're children because of it and that's why you never see adult Yoshi anymore.

fernoca said:
if anything the Melee version was a "realistic" version of the Yoshi from Story, seeing how he even had the same voice and everything..
I know, his insideous voice has invaded everything. Even the Yoshi's Island Advance changed his classic VIP-VIP-VIP sound to "NNNNYYYYUUUUUNNNGG!!" It was a travesty!

fernoca

WordAssassin said:
Dude no way. That sound he makes in SMW and YI when he flutter-jumps or you jump on and off him are classics.

I'll try to explain it like this. Take Mario. For years we've known him to look a certain way, sound a certain way, etc. Let's say Nintendo makes a prequel Mario game where Mario is a teenager. He wears his hat sideways, he doesn't have the mustache, let's say he wears a jacket and jeans instead of his overalls and shirt. Nobody exactly likes this Mario but it's ok for this game because that's apparently how Mario looked when he was younger.

Now imagine that Mario replacing the classic Mario in everything. Nintendo basically erases the classic Mario from existence and forever onwards used shitty teenager Mario.

That is what Nintendo did with Yoshi. Unlike Mario and Baby Mario, Older Yoshi isn't still around. He's been completely replaced by shitty child Yoshi with his annoying voice, poor design and ridiculously enormous nose. How does he even see over his nose anymore? He can't, that's how, and all the Yoshies everywhere die while they're children because of it and that's why you never see adult Yoshi anymore.
Wow! :lol :lol
Sorry for taking seriously before.. :D

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Okay WordAssassin, take a chill pill and shut up. We get that you don't like the Yoshi's Story style Yoshi. Stop throwing a wobbly over it.

At this rate I'm wondering how long it'll take before I find out if Marth is returning?

We still have to get to the given before they reveal either him or guys like Falco, so we'll still need to see Cap Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ness, Princess Toadstool, Luigi, Ganon, and Meta Knight before we start seeing any new characters or returning ones who aren't major franchise types. That's got to be about a month and half before we're likely to see any big megatons coming out of these updates. Although the control method update was pretty big news.

fernoca

Yeah, is like every daily Smash Bros. Dojo update needs a meltdown..

-DK stage: "But is like Ice Climbers stage!!! :("
-Zelda: "But she's brunette now!!" :("
-Zero Suit: "But is just a Final Smash!!! :("
-Twilight Princess stage: "But it's flat!!! :("
-4 controller setups: "But the PS2 controller is not compatible!!! :( "

Darn!!.. :lol

SovanJedi said:
Okay WordAssassin, take a chill pill and shut up. We get that you don't like the Yoshi's Story style Yoshi. Stop throwing a wobbly over it.
Ahahahahahaha, fernoca saw the humor in it at least. :D

Note: "Throwing a wobbly" is perhaps the best way to describe a tantrum ever.

PkunkFury

WordAssassin said:

as a huge Yoshi fan, I don't kow what you see in this similar yet stiff design:

Shinobix said:

The only major difference in the new design is that the saddle lumps out, which is a bit weird, considering what it's for. Otherwise, he's a bit rounder, has a larger nose, and has softer textures. He's changed less than many of the other characters going into 3D. Seems perhaps you're more upset about his new voice, but all the Mario characters got crappy new voices (well, Wario's is pretty cool). I actually think Yoshi's is one of the better ones when compared to Bowser, Peach, or DK

Many people don't like the way Mario's look and voice chagned when he went to 3D. They were used to what he was like in the cartoon series. And Wario has changed outfits as you suggested. Most of us are happy about it.

Acerac

Banned
WordAssassin said:

That reminds me, I'll be utterly upset if yellow and purple suit Wario isn't unlockable. Please Nintendo, the classic Wario costume is the best.

scottnak

fernoca said:
Yeah, is like every daily Smash Bros. Dojo update needs a meltdown..

-DK stage: "But is like Ice Climbers stage!!! :("
-Zelda: "But she's brunette now!!" :("
-Zero Suit: "But is just a Final Smash!!! :("
-Twilight Princess stage: "But it's flat!!! :("
-4 controller setups: "But the PS2 controller is not compatible!!! :( "

Darn!!.. :lol
New game for us to play.
Pre-Update: Guess what update is coming
Post-Update: Guess what meltdown will come!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Acerac said:
That reminds me, I'll be utterly upset if yellow and purple suit Wario isn't unlockable. Please Nintendo, the classic Wario costume is the best.
I hope so too. Of course that option would mean that all the other characters would have an alternative costume (not colour swap). Would that work for all chracters?

G-Fex

I used to like dropping Yoshi down pits in Super Mario World. I hate him that much.

I rather have the guy from Balloon fight, or excitebike guy.

Teasel

i wonder if in the next character update we are going to get ness or c.falcon since with yoshi we got all the starting character from the original and ness and c.falcon where hidden character in the original but in melee they ranked up to starting characters

Haunted

I don't like Yoshi as a Smash character, but this model looks great. I like the new, more subdued colour scheme.

Updates that introduce new characters are the most important of them all. Sakurai delivers. We'll either get his special move or Yoshi's Final Smash in the update tomorrow. Something related to Yoshi at least.

Kind've off topic, but did anyone ever think that maybe Yoshi's have always had a shell that made a convenient 'saddle', which is the reason why people choose to ride them.

I mean hell... they're born wearing their 'saddles'. I think of it kind've the way camel humps are just naturally convenient for riding. Even in the original Mario World art it COULD be a shell.

Haunted

SuperAngelo64 said:
Kind've off topic, but did anyone ever think that maybe Yoshi's have always had a shell that made a convenient 'saddle', which is the reason why people choose to ride them.

I mean hell... they're born wearing their 'saddles'. I think of it kind've the way camel humps are just naturally convenient for riding. Even in the original Mario World art it COULD be a shell.
52b7wj5.jpg

That is very clearly not a shell. But they replaced the saddle with a shell, nothing wrong with that. Different design. I like it.

SuperAngelo64 said:

No. in SMW he even had the holsters for Mario's feet hanging off the sides of his saddle. This is the first time his saddle has ever bulged out so far it's been confused with a shell.

Just more evidence that the child Yoshi model is a piece of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom