• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shig said:
Peach -> Vacation Peach (SMS)

moleik Strikers Peach, amirite?

Mario%20Strikers.jpg

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
SuperAngelo64 said:

Mario%20Strikers.jpg
Yeah, I almost put that or her Tennis incarnation, but her floating jump kind of wouldn't look right without her wearing a dress.

Haunted

Very nice, Cosmo. Honestly, I'll think you'd be hard pressed to find a better OP on GAF than in this thread. Good job ant and cosmo!

Linkhero1 said:
I hope they keep falco in the game.
They can get rid of him as far as I'm concerned. Damn Fox rip-off. I'm expecting either a Slippy Toad or a Peppy Hare assist trophy, btw.

Jiggy

SuperAngelo64 said:

Mario%20Strikers.jpg
The trouble is that the hitbox of her down smash wouldn't make sense without her huge dress.
Which is another reason Daisy needs to be added in, because with a new character they could avoid creating any moves that need a hitbox like that and her Strikers outfit could still work. >_>

Linkhero1

Haunted One said:
Very nice, Cosmo. Honestly, I'll think you'd be hard pressed to find a better OP on GAF than in this thread. Good job ant and cosmo!

They can get rid of him as far as I'm concerned. Damn Fox rip-off. I'm expecting either a Slippy Toad or a Peppy Hare assist trophy, btw.
I think his moves are better than fox though. Fox is too fast so I don't like using him. I need someone like him but stronger and slower.

Cosmonaut X said:
CHARACTER PORTRAITS

Great posting.
The awsome thing is...right now, only awsome, high quality characters have been announce. No crap like Mr. GameWatch or IceClimbers or Peach. I hope this goes on.
Next Luigi, please.

MasterMFauli said:
Great posting.
The awsome thing is...right now, only awsome, high quality characters have been announce. No crap like Mr. GameWatch or IceClimbers or Peach. I hope this goes on.
Next Luigi, please.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Yoshi was pretty much the most craptastic character in Brawl. Peach, on the other hand....

I dont speak about the qualities as a fighter, then Zelda would suck, too.
Nah, Yoshi is one of the heroes in Nintendo history...Peach is just a plain annoying princess, useless and annyoing...and she´s the hardest CPU-enemy in every MarioSports-game >_<

Haunted

MasterMFauli said:
I dont speak about the qualities as a fighter, then Zelda would suck, too.
Nah, Yoshi is one of the heroes in Nintendo history...Peach is just a plain annoying princess, useless and annyoing...and she´s the hardest CPU-enemy in every MarioSports-game >_<
Go play Super Princess Peach and Super Paper Mario - Peach is not useless, but awesome. Daisy > Peach in Mario Strikers Charged, though.

Somnid

I actually like Zelda, and loathe Shiek. Zelda's slow but at least she can kill something (I'm not a fan of the long drawn out battles), both of their special moves are junk though.

Also, I don't see how Peach is any less "quality" than the unknown outside the hardcore Pit or the half-character ZSS.

PkunkFury

MasterMFauli said:
Great posting.
Next Luigi, please.

come on, Game and Watch was the best addition to Melee. Such a creative character idea and all his moves actually come from his games. He's also nintendo's first franchise character. I'll be pretty sad if GW really gets cut. He deserves the spot more than fan fodder like Zelda, Sheik, Falco, and Ganondorf. At least he was playable in his games

Haunted

Somnid said:
I actually like Zelda, and loathe Shiek. Zelda's slow but at least she can kill something (I'm not a fan of the long drawn out battles), both of their special moves are junk though.
ah, don't worry, don't worry. Sakurai's got your back. Sheik's out.

jonezer4 said:
Are they doing subsurface scattering or something on some of these characters? Mario and Yoshi's skin look perrrty.
I don't even know what that means. :/

Amir0x

Banned
Haunted One said:
I don't even know what that means. :/

Subsurface scattering:

Subsurface scattering is a mechanism of light transport in which light penetrates the surface of a translucent object, is scattered by interacting with the material, and exits the surface at a different point. Subsurface scattering is important in 3D computer graphics. In particular, materials such as marble, skin, and milk are extremely difficult to simulate realistically without taking subsurface scattering into account.

Of course, there is basically no way anything in Smash Bros. is using this so it's moot

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
kirbutashi said:
Not that big a deal, but I hope we still get a group portrait when all is said and done like on the SSBM updates. :D

I wonder why Peach is standing next to Link and Zelda is standing next to Mario.

Haunted

Amir0x said:
Subsurface scattering:

Of course, there is basically no way anything in Smash Bros. is using this so it's moot
sounds complicated. Thanks.

oh, and Ness hasn't been confirmed yet, sorry.

Haunted

That big picture reminds me. I hope they got rid of Pichu and Jigglypuff. I don't necessary mind them (although I don't follow pokemon - basically know only those appearing in Smash brothers. :p), but there are so many characters Nintendo can choose from that are better than Pokemon. I'd be pleased if they'd confine the Pokemon to the Pokeballs item.

I'll make an exception for Pikachu because he's the poster boy, but the others... eh, get rid of 'em.

Not that big a deal, but I hope we still get a group portrait when all is said and done like on the SSBM updates.

... wah? So he showed all playable SSBM characters in updates? i think im gonna have to bail out of these updates soon... i don't really want everything to be spoiled.

Haunted One said:
That big picture reminds me. I hope they got rid of Pichu and Jigglypuff. I don't necessary mind them (although I don't follow pokemon - basically know only those appearing in Smash brothers. :p), but there are so many characters Nintendo can choose from that are better than Pokemon. I'd be pleased if they'd confine the Pokemon to the Pokeballs item.

I'll make an exception for Pikachu because he's the poster boy, but the others... eh, get rid of 'em.

Don't mess with the Jiggly!

I know lots of people who handle business with her expertly.

Haunted

MindCollizion said:
Don't mess with the Jiggly!

I know lots of people who handle business with her expertly.
I'm sure people can kick ass with any of the characters if they know what they're doing
well, they can probably kick my ass, anyway. :p
. But I still don't like all those Pokemon. I'd rather see more interesting characters as fighters.

Wasn't Jigglypuffs strongest attack the one where she fell asleep? I beat Giga Bowser with her because he was so easy to jump into and sleep. :lol

IAWTP, but more pokemans should be added in their wake. maybe dialga and/or palkia... i thought deoxys would've been good, but it's an assist trophy...

Somnid

Pokemon is probably the most over-represented series, it has a lot of games but they are all spin-offs of the 4 principal game sets with no contributions of their own to the series. Melee had 4 characters from pokemon tied only with the Mario series for included character counts which both considering the time Mario and co has been around by comparison and the number of games those characters made major appearances in is just unfair.

The most under-represented is DK, with several series and reoccuring characters as well as being Nintendo's 4th highest selling franchise yet only one representative.

Also, Metroid since SSBM has almost tripled the number of games in it's series and produced 2 spin-offs and still stands at a whole 1.5 characters. They need to add something else, and no, Ridley isn't it.

Sharp

Somnid said:
Pokemon is probably the most over-represented series, it has a lot of games but they are all spin-offs of the 4 principal game sets with no contributions of their own to the series. Melee had 4 characters from pokemon tied only with the Mario series for included character counts which both considering the time Mario and co has been around by comparison and the number of games those characters made major appearances in is just unfair.

The most under-represented is DK, with several series and reoccuring characters as well as being Nintendo's 4th highest selling franchise yet only one representative.

Also, Metroid since SSBM has almost tripled the number of games in it's series and produced 2 spin-offs and still stands at a whole 1.5 characters. They need to add something else, and no, Ridley isn't it.
Metroid is all about Samus and her isolation. You can't really add more characters from the universe. They're doing the best they can with the alternate costume.

Innotech

Banned
Haunted One said:

they better goddamned not get rid of Jigglypuff.

I used her a lot. I also used sheik a lot :/

bigmakstudios said:
... wah? So he showed all playable SSBM characters in updates? i think im gonna have to bail out of these updates soon... i don't really want everything to be spoiled.

What? Who avoids spoilers for fighting games? Especially fighting games with no plot whatsoever. :lol

Somnid

Sharp said:
Metroid is all about Samus and her isolation. You can't really add more characters from the universe. They're doing the best they can with the alternate costume.

That's not entirely true, especially in newer ones that are fleshing out the Metroid universe. I think part of the problem lies in that because these games were so recent the characters are still weak compared to say, Ridley. I'd have no problems for them to add something like Dark Samus/Metroid Prime, the too obvious route would be a clone but Dark Samus does have attacks that are unique to her, more like Mario to Luigi than Mario to Dr. Mario. You know, once Prime 3 launches Dark Samus is essentially the primary Metroid villian beating out Mother Brain for number of unique appearances. They could add one of the other bounty Hunters found in Hunters or Metroid Prime 3 but again those are just too recent (or will have been in MP3 case) to have any nostalgia, but it's still worth a shot IMHO. They did it for Roy.

NeonZ

Somnid said:

Huh.... Mario had 5 characters with the Mushroom symbol (Dr. Mario, Mario, Peach, Luigi, Bowser) and Yoshi who has his own symbol but still was basically a Mario character (his second stage even was from Mario World rather than another one based on the game focused on him). 6 characters.

Pokemon had 4, still behind Zelda(including Zelda and Sheik, it had 5) and Mario. Considering its popularity, that is about right.

bigmakstudios said:

Before the game's release, he only showed the starting characters in the site. The hidden ones only were received updates about them after the game was released, starting in January.

Speevy

Banned
Nintendo has represented (game universes)

-Mario
-Zelda
-Metroid
-Kirby
-Starfox

/\The big 5

-Game and Watch
-Ice Climbers
-Kid Icarus
-Fire Emblem
-F-Zero
-Donkey Kong
-Pokemon
-Earthbound
-Wario

Nintendo has never represented with playable characters (some of these would make stupid characters, I"ll admit)

-Advance Wars
-Animal Crossing
-Punch Out
-Pikmin
-Balloon Fighter
-Wave Race
-1080 Snowboarding
-Custom Robo
-Excite Bike
-Doshin the Giant
-Golden Sun
-Clu Clu Land
-Chibi Robo
-Brain Training

Just some major ones.

Haunted

Innotech said:
they better goddamned not get rid of Jigglypuff.

I used her a lot. I also used sheik a lot :/
oh, looks like Sakurai doesn't like you very much. Tell us what other characters you've used, so we can have a list of which ones are definitely out.

j/k :lol

Speevy said:
-Animal Crossing - already got the stage
-Punch Out - Little Mac is a possibility, either NES or SNES version
-Pikmin - Captain Olimar is a possibility
-Wave Race - maybe: Captain Falcon set a precedent for racers
-1080 Snowboarding - same as above
-Chibi Robo - possible, but unlikely
-Brain Training - huge Dr. Kawashima as final boss sounds plausible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom