• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
WordAssassin said:
No. in SMW he even had the holsters for Mario's feet hanging off the sides of his saddle.

I don't remember that.. ever..

And for the record, he was initially a dragon which means he can have shells or whatever the **** else because dragons are fictional.

I was always convinced it was a shell they were born with that just made a really convenient saddle.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Yoshi. He looks alright. Shell instead of saddle is kind of weird.

yoshi_070724b-l.jpg

:lol Pikachus waiting for him to shit an egg. That reminds me of those weird Yoshi comics.

edit: Here it is :lol (nsfw probably) http://shmorky.com/yoshi/y006.html

yoshi_070724d-l.jpg

What is going on here? Its kinda creepy looking at Yoshis eyes while DK looks distressed...

SuperAngelo64 said:

And for the record, he was initially a dragon which means he can have shells or whatever the **** else because dragons are fictional.

I was always convinced it was a shell they were born with that just made a really convenient saddle.
Actually now that I think about it more those might have been his arms? :lol It's getting late...

So this update hints that yoshi can now egg jump. Question is, are they gimping his old jump? Would make sense that they would weaken is standard jump if they are giving him a new triple jump

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
SuperAngelo64 said:

Actually I have to disagree with that part - he is, and always has been, a dinosaur. His introductory game was Super Mario World which was based in Dinosaur Land.

However I do think that it was always a shell that was very conveniently shaped as a saddle. Since Yoshi's Story it has progressed into more of a shell-like addition, but it doesn't seem to stop people from using him as a steed (see: Super Mario Sunshine)

Also while we're on the subject of things that dinosaurs can and can't have, I don't ever remember the Tyrannosaurus Rex having tiny wings and wearing little boots.

rex_left.gif

PkunkFury

superbank said:

DK looks like a muppet :lol

and some dinosaurs had shells (Ankylosaur for one), not that it matters since Yoshi is a fictional character. I think it's pretty clear that the saddle change went along with making Yoshi more compact and upright, a change that reflected moving him into his own character as opposed to being a mount. He needed a slightly more human form factor when driving karts, playing golf or tennis, etc...

SSBM struck a great balance between upright Yoshi:

yoshi.jpg

yoshi_070724c-l.jpg

and mount Yoshi:
yoshi_070724a-l.jpg

yoshi_070724b-l.jpg

and despite the buldge in the saddle, Brawl Yoshi seems to do the same, as this is mostly portrayed in the way he moves and stands.

I don't see the differences between Brawl and Melee Yohsi as being nearly as big as the differnces between, say the Fox, DK and Bowser designs

SovanJedi said:
Actually I have to disagree with that part - he is, and always has been, a dinosaur. His introductory game was Super Mario World which was based in Dinosaur Land.

4umzhg9.png

If anyone else out there can read weeaboo, it says here he's a dragon. And not just an ordinary dragon, he is in fact a 'super' dragon. If he was a dinosaur it would've said 'Super Dinosaur" or "Super Kyoryu" or some jargon like that.

EktorPR

Apparently there are two different models of Yoshi:

One, the traditional one, with the saddle: Ridable Yoshi (used in SMW, YI and SSBM)

ssbm-yoshi-lg.png

The other, more recent and the one we got: Upright-Standing Yoshi (from Yoshi Story and the Mario Party games)

200px-Yoshiwalk.jpg

Hope that clears some confussion.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
SuperAngelo64 said:
4umzhg9.png

If anyone else out there can read weeaboo, it says here he's a dragon. And not just an ordinary dragon, he is in fact a 'super' dragon. If he was a dinosaur it would've said 'Super Dinosaur" or "Super Kyoryu" or some jargon like that.

Well I stand corrected. I can read it there on the last line too. Hm.

NotWii

Banned
Why doesn't DK have teeth!?

ss02.jpg

I like the Jungle Beat DK much more, nicer darker fur too.

Danthrax said:
It's almost like Yoshi's modeler didn't realize it was a saddle and gave him a little shell instead. How odd.

yoshi_070724b-l.jpg
It's been that way ever since Yoshi Story.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
BGBW said:
I hope so too. Of course that option would mean that all the other characters would have an alternative costume (not colour swap). Would that work for all chracters?
Mostly.

Mario -> Dr. Mario (These shouldn't really be two seperate characters anyway)
Peach -> Vacation Peach (SMS)
Bowser -> Bone Bowser (New SMB)
WW Wario -> Original Wario
Luigi -> Mario Strikers outfit
Link -> Zora or Magic Armor (TP)
Zelda -> LTTP Zelda costume
TP Ganon (I assume this is the one they'll use) -> OoT Ganon
Samus -> Light/Dark Suit (MP2), Fusion Suit (MF)
Zero Suit Samus -> The outfit she wears in the Metroid Fusion endings
Pikachu -> Raichu
DK -> Funky Kong or one of the Ape Bosses from Jungle Beat
Yoshi -> Boshi (SMRPG)
Meta Knight -> Meta Lance
Kid Icarus -> Maybe a more basic outfit more in line with the original design
Fox McCloud -> SF Adventures Fox model
Falco -> SF Assault Falco model
Capt. Falcon -> Blood Falcon (FZGX)
Roy & Marth -> take your pick of any other male sword-wielders in the FE canon
Pichu -> Plusle/Minun (Pkmn Ruby/Sapphire)

Don't really have any suggestions for Kirby, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, or Ness.

Shig said:
TP Ganon (I assume this is the one they'll use) -> OoT Ganon

Ooh... I only just realised that with the introduction of Final Smashes – and especially with Bowser’s “Giga Bowser” FS – the road is clear for Ganondorf to Final Smash into Ganon, or one of his variants. Fingers crossed!

fernoca

Jackano said:
Bowser -> Giga Bowser and it's confirmed, look at the Bowser page on smashbrosdojo.com !
Ehr..
That post is about alternate costumes, so Bowser's alt can't be Giga Bowser..because what's Giga going to turn into then??

WordAssassin said:
I won't lose sleep but I've got a right to be angry about this.
How do you figure? Goddamn, I can't stand this kind of attitude about entitlement. Some people not only want everything exactly the way they desire, but they expect it. Nobody can ever do anything that goes against what they want. So everyone else has to listen to them get on a soapbox about how they've been cheated. Oh no, that doesn't get annoying.

Plus the fact that you're this angry over the design of a cartoon dinosaur is ridiculous. I feel embarrassed for you, if you're even being remotely serious.

EricDiesel said:
How do you figure? Goddamn, I can't stand this kind of attitude about entitlement. Some people not only want everything exactly the way they desire, but they expect it. Nobody can ever do anything that goes against what they want. So everyone else has to listen to them get on a soapbox about how they've been cheated. Oh no, that doesn't get annoying.

Plus the fact that you're this angry over the design of a cartoon dinosaur is ridiculous. I feel embarrassed for you, if you're even being remotely serious.
While I do think the Yoshi's Story design is a piece of shit, no, I wasn't being serious.

However, to say that people don't have the right to feel upset about something they like being changed is wrong. This is America dude! Examples of this go all throughout history. We are a country built on people complaining about things they cannot change!

Im a huge Nintendo fan and everything, but I gotta give credit where credit is due and say fair dues to all of the PS3 fans out there for MGS4. The new gameplay footage looks great and I take note at the fact that Kojima wants to keep everything playstation exclusive.
Which brings me to my question, does Snake really belong in Smash Bros? Its not like he has any significant connection to the Nintendo world (apart from the NES Metal Gear games and the lame ass twin snakes port on GC).. why would Nintendo agree to have him in the game? Sales? I doubt it. Most snake fans are PS3 fans they have MGS4 to look forward to. I doubt they will buy a Wii just for smash bros. What incentive is Kojima giving Nintendo?

Firestorm

People are bitching about the look of Yoshi's saddle?
What the hell.

Wavedashing arguments are more significant than this. WAVEDASHING. God.

darthbane2k said:
Im a huge Nintendo fan and everything, but I gotta give credit where credit is due and say fair dues to all of the PS3 fans out there for MGS4. The new gameplay footage looks great and I take note at the fact that Kojima wants to keep everything playstation exclusive.
Which brings me to my question, does Snake really belong in Smash Bros? Its not like he has any significant connection to the Nintendo world (apart from the NES Metal Gear games and the lame ass twin snakes port on GC).. why would Nintendo agree to have him in the game? Sales? I doubt it. Most snake fans are PS3 fans they have MGS4 to look forward to. I doubt they will buy a Wii just for smash bros. What incentive is Kojima giving Nintendo?
He belongs in the game if Konami is smart, which they are.

fernoca

darthbane2k said:
There was also the Game Boy Color game..among some others.

The only thing officialy announced is that Kojima asked Sakurai for Snake to be i nSmash Bros...since Melee..but time didn't let them...

Add to that, that Kojima is the only person (outside Nintendo) that has already played Brawl and even admitted that if the game was released the way it was earlier this year, it would have sold over a million...So, there's definetly a close connection between both parts..no moneyhats or sales ..apparently...

darthbane2k said:

Kojima has wanted Snake in the game for a long time. This is not new. It is HE that pushed this, not necessarily Nintendo.

And then, how could Nintendo deny such a huge character in videogame history??

Kojima is probably a fan of the series as he played the new game, said it was practically complete and really fun.

Firestorm

Oh wow his egg shoot thing is a third jump? I wonder if they'll nerf his second jump then o.o; Being invincible during that plus getting a third jump would be pretty crazy.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Kojima has wanted Snake in the game for a long time. This is not new. It is HE that pushed this, not necessarily Nintendo.

And then, how could Nintendo deny such a huge character in videogame history??

Kojima is probably a fan of the series as he played the new game, said it was practically complete and really fun.

Yeah but one could argue that Kojima gave Nintendo the finger by showing the Wii or whatever no MGS love... at all.
Im just wondering what Nintendo are getting out of this deal and whether Snake belongs in the smash bros universe. That to me is equilivant to Mario cameoing in Rachet and Clank or something...

darthbane2k said:
Yeah but one could argue that Kojima gave Nintendo the finger by showing the Wii or whatever no MGS love... at all.
Im just wondering what Nintendo are getting out of this deal and whether Snake belongs in the smash bros universe. That to me is equilivant to Mario cameoing in Rachet and Clank or something...

Who said Kojima won't make a Wii game??

When I heard about Snake being in the game, I was like a bit weirded out but then saw him and he didn't seem that out of place to me.

His level is going to be very interesting.

fernoca

darthbane2k said:
Well, Kojima had already said that the perfect system would be a PS3..with the controls of the Wii.. ;) ..plus he has some Wii games in development...so is not like he's backstabbing the Wii or Nintendo..

Innotech

Banned
fernoca said:
Well, Kojima had already said that the perfect system would be a PS3..with the controls of the Wii.. ;) ..plus he has some Wii games in development...so is not like he's backstabbing the Wii or Nintendo..

Kojima isnt even a fan of HD. He wants to get MGS4 over with so he can make wii/360 games.

fernoca

Any truth on the "Fils-Aime saying that there will be a surprise update of Brawl in july 25-26"..rumors?? Someone else said that he said it during Game Head..or something...

Plus..the fake Sakurai interview said that they were going to reveal Sonic around that same time too...

Anyone knows?

Firestorm

darthbane2k said:

The MGS games are very heavy on cinematics. It needs great graphics to tell its story in style. He'll be working on some Wii games for sure, but probably not Metal Gear. It doesn't matter though. Kojima and Sakurai are friends. Kojima asked Sakurai. Sakurai agreed.

If Nintendo intervened, there's a chance that Sakurai and/or Kojima might be annoyed. Nintendo probably doesn't want to annoy either of these people and jeopardize future chances of having them on board with Wii/DS projects.

fernoca said:
Any truth on the "Fils-Aime saying that there will be a surprise update of Brawl in july 25-26"..rumors?? Someone else said that he said it during Game Head..or something...

Plus..the fake Sakurai interview said that they were going to reveal Sonic around that same time too...

Anyone knows?

Countdown to megaton begins now!

fernoca said:

I just checked the game head interview... no mention about this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom