• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Jesus... Putting all those arena pictures together like that just made me feel all warm and gooey inside.

This game is going to be amazing. Mark my words.

Jiggy

It's interesting that they made a new game mechanic for boxes to slide down inclines, yet so few stages we've seen have any inclines to begin with. I hope that doesn't end up being SSBB's equivalent of the slippery floor mechanics in SSBM, which was another decently cool idea that only showed up in the Game and Watch level and on Fourside's UFO.

ElNarez

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
It's interesting that they made a new game mechanic for boxes to slide down inclines, yet so few stages we've seen have any inclines to begin with. I hope that doesn't end up being SSBB's equivalent of the slippery floor mechanics in SSBM, which was another decently cool idea that only showed up in the Game and Watch level and on Fourside's UFO.
There were some platforms of this kind in Icicle Mountain. Which possibly explains why, with the scrolling, it easily became annoying as hell.

PkunkFury

I wish they'd go back to SSB 64 level designs. Each stage was very unique, and the only one with the bogus walk of the screen mechanic was the Mario level. Melee was a huge step down in stage design since the levels were either simple flat platform arrangements, or unwieldy monstrosities. Brawl seems to be following Melee's lead.

It's nice that Skyworld at least has that extra platform hanging out on the bottom, but I don't know why anyone would go there unless they really need it to recover. I'd like to see more asymmetrical levels, where the area in which you are fighting really changes the way you play. I have hopes for the Fire Emblem castle, since it at least has a slope

Branduil said:
I just want some levels like Hyrule Castle and Saffron City from the original game.

yup, hopefully these two are brought back as legacy stages this time

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Oh, so the main platform crumbles too. This should be a fun level. Kind of like Yoshis level in SSB, where you could stand on the clouds and they disappear.

I agree that many of the stages are similar but Skyworld does not fall into that category. Every platform is destructible and when its destroyed is dependent on how many hits it has taken. You can't lump it together with Battlefield so easily. The way you play will be completely different.

Jiggy37 said:

Samus shoved the box.

Haunted

Cool update, after showing us a stage we've already seen, they'll show us a new one next time. :)

I like the breaking mechanic, it looks like the platforms with a blue border are destructable, while those two small ones with a yellow border on the right will stay. :D

and don't worry about boring stages. You do realise we're talking about Sakurai and Smash Brothers here, right? He's got your back.

usea said:
How is it the sign of a bad character that nobody ever picked them? How often somebody chooses a character does not have anything whatsoever to do with how good a character is. Not only that, but NEVER picking somebody could not possibly prove anything at all about how good it is, because you have no ****ing idea. You've never picked him!
Not bad concerning their strength in the game, or 'tiers', or some shit like that.

'bad' as in nobody wants to play with them in a round of 4 people coming together to have some fun. reasons for that could include: 'they're not cool', 'they're not interesting characters', 'I like that other character better', 'I never played the Ice Climber game and feel no connection with them' or any other reason, really.

9 out of 10 times when I play Smash with my friends is with random characters only, but when we played by choosing our characters, nobody wanted the Ice Climbers. I'm 100% with Speevy on this one.

big_z

stage08_070725a-l.jpg

they should have done multiple layers on the bottom clouds... kinda looks like melted icecream more than coulds.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Haunted One said:
I like the breaking mechanic, it looks like the platforms with a blue border are destructable, while those two small ones with a yellow border on the right will stay. :D
To me it looks like it's the platforms with clouds underneath them will be the breakable ones. That would mean the bottom right platform and the slopping platform stay.

Haunted

BGBW said:
To me it looks like it's the platforms with clouds underneath them will be the breakable ones. That would mean the bottom right platform and the slopping platform stay.
>_>

<_<

I notice the ****ing colour of the borders, but not that there are goddamn clouds underneath some of them. :lol

Well, those clouds make me think that you can indeed break every platform. There has to be something people can stand on, so I thought some platforms would have to remain, but with those clouds in there, you can probably break 'em all.

AMUSIX

Whenever the "homogenized stages" discussion comes up (and I do agree that the majority of the stages shown seem to be much too similar) people always mention Hyrule Castle and Big Blue. One is considered a much too big, complex, and partially flawed stage, and the other is an 'extreme' stage. There are great, non-homogenized stages that aren't over the top. The following stages really show what is lacking so far from SSB:B's selection:

Princess Peach's Castle - The tower in the center split the stage well, and the buttons threw in a randomness that wasn't overdone.

Great Bay - A big stage without being too big. The platforms were all fairly small, forcing more exact placement...once again, the turtle was a nice bit of randomness

Onett - This REALLY should have been the model for an Animal Crossing stage.

Brinstar - A platform stage with interest. The base platform isn't flat, and isn't always the safest place to be, the acid forces the fight into choke points, and the upper platforms have some movement.

Of course, there are the 'extreme stages' as well, things like Big Blue, Poke Floats, Brinstar Depths, and Rainbow Cruise.

Unfortunately, taking what they've shown so far, and taking into consideration the goal of the dev team to make the stages more 'fair', it seems like some of the more interesting stage designs are being eschewed in favor of platform stages with background flare. That said, I like this new stage, and hope the platforms break apart and return as quickly as this update suggests.

Oh, and just for the record keepers, of the 29 stages in Melee, over 2/3's offered more interest than the static "base platform with smaller platforms above" design. I'd be surprised if Brawl came close to this.

AMUSIX said:
Whenever the "homogenized stages" discussion comes up (and I do agree that the majority of the stages shown seem to be much too similar) people always mention Hyrule Castle and Big Blue. One is considered a much too big, complex, and partially flawed stage, and the other is an 'extreme' stage. There are great, non-homogenized stages that aren't over the top. The following stages really show what is lacking so far from SSB:B's selection:

Unfortunately, taking what they've shown so far, and taking into consideration the goal of the dev team to make the stages more 'fair', it seems like some of the more interesting stage designs are being eschewed in favor of platform stages with background flare. That said, I like this new stage, and hope the platforms break apart and return as quickly as this update suggests.

Oh, and just for the record keepers, of the 29 stages in Melee, over 2/3's offered more interest than the static "base platform with smaller platforms above" design. I'd be surprised if Brawl came close to this.

I was going to use some of the ones a lot of the ones you said (like Onett, because I really liked that stage), but I used extreme examples to illustrate the point more.

PkunkFury said:
I wish they'd go back to SSB 64 level designs. Each stage was very unique, and the only one with the bogus walk of the screen mechanic was the Mario level. Melee was a huge step down in stage design since the levels were either simple flat platform arrangements, or unwieldy monstrosities. Brawl seems to be following Melee's lead.

It's nice that Skyworld at least has that extra platform hanging out on the bottom, but I don't know why anyone would go there unless they really need it to recover. I'd like to see more asymmetrical levels, where the area in which you are fighting really changes the way you play. I have hopes for the Fire Emblem castle, since it at least has a slope

yup, hopefully these two are brought back as legacy stages this time

I think SSM64 in general had more personality in the entire game, from the stages really being a good representation of the games to minor things like having stage entrances.

and just thinking about it right now, the one update I want to see most of all is about the story mode of brawl, I think it was awesome in Melee and they could really expand on it now and even make it coop.

NeonZ

9 out of 10 times when I play Smash with my friends is with random characters only, but when we played by choosing our characters, nobody wanted the Ice Climbers. I'm 100% with Speevy on this one.

Considering Pit's new design, I think Sakurai has already learned his lesson regarding bringing back forgotten characters. I wouldn't be surprised if they got a Pit-style make over, though I could also see the IC not receiving much focus due to their unpopularity, receiving only slightly different cloth textures.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I so hope this game has oodles of challenges. The 51 in melee were a fantastic addition, and I loved them to pieces. More, more, more!

Adventure mode was pretty dull though. Neat at first, but after a few runs it grew really tiresome.

Also you people are fekking nuts for calling out Hyrule Castle. By far my favorite stage in SSBM, this game deserves a few more similarly large layouts.

JCX

I hope past stages are still included. I want 4 from each previous game. From ssb: green greens, saffron city, hyrule castle, yoshi's island. From melee i want pokefloats, onett, mute city, and either fountain of dreams or hyrule temple.

NeonZ

I really don't see from where this attitude is coming... The only basic stages revealed up to now are: Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise and Smashville.

Delfino Plaza, Rumble Falls, Bridge of Eldin and Skyworld don't really follow that structure. I suppose Skyworld is composed by small floating platforms too, but the only permanent one is that small one in the lower right, not the bigger ones.

With SSBM, they only revealed the second stage of each game series, which generally had more hazards or experimental designs, close to the game's release. Comparing Brawl's officially revealed ones with the first revealed of SSBM, I don't think there's any significant problem with the variation. The main problem is the lack of revealed stages...

Basic SSBM stages revealed early: Final destination, Battlefield, Dream's fountain, Yoshi story, Zebes, Pokemon Stadium. (6)
Others revealed early: Peach's castle, Great Bay, Great Fox(1), Onnet, Icicle mountain, Mute City. (6)

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
underfooter said:
I expect Brawl to have close to 40 or 50 levels, so I'm not going to run off crying that some of them are too basic.

That many? Might be a bit excessive?

Anyway, whats with these rumblings I keep hearing about tonight being a "significant" update? Was this ever verifiable?

I suppose we'll find out tonight then

JohnTinker said:
That many? Might be a bit excessive?

Anyway, whats with these rumblings I keep hearing about tonight being a "significant" update? Was this ever verifiable?

I suppose we'll find out tonight then

you don't want to mention the significant news, it will cause confusion amongst the ranks here.

Anyways, why are people complaining about the level designs? Thsi is SSB/Sakurai we're talking about, theres bound to be crazier and less standard levels than the ones shown so far.

For dynamic value, out of the ones shown, Delphino Plaza and 'most likely' Pokemon Stadium will offer some dynamic level structure that some of you guys crave.

Firestorm

WastingPenguins said:
You're misunderstanding him. By "signs of a bad character", he is not referring to their fighting aptitude and ability to win Smash Bros. matches. By "bad" character, I think he means bad in the sense of "disliked by players". That is-- regardless of how frequently (or infrequently) you win national championships with the Ice Climbers, they are a bad character in general because they are not fun to play as or play against (in his opinion). If Metaknight had a move where you pressed Down + B and instantly took a stock from their opponent, he would be a "good" character in the sense that he could easily beat other characters, but still a "bad character" because he isn't fun to play as or play against.

And yeah, I kind of agree. Clever as the Ice Climbers' dual-character concept was, I HATE playing against them. It's not because I'm bad at beating them-- it's because the strategies I have to employ in order to beat them aren't fun. For instance, grabbing, and comboing out of grabs, is a HUGE part of how I play Smash Bros. I can't grab the Ice Climbers at all, though, because I can only grab one and don't have time to throw before the other one gives me an fsmash to the face. Thus, they have unusual strengths (good at defending against grabs) that forces me to use a different playstyle against them that simply isn't fun (i.e. limited comboing.)

I didn't find them fun to play as either, and judging by their low popularity, I'm guessing that not many others like them either. So, bleh. VERY original concept but the end result isn't much fun (for most people).

Then I don't think he'd have said to show him 100 videos of pro players using them to prove him wrong. I personally find the ICs to be awesome to watch and play. I just can't desynch very well so I just use them in free-for-alls where wavedash+downsmash is godly with them :lol

underfooter said:
I expect Brawl to have close to 40 or 50 levels, so I'm not going to run off crying that some of them are too basic.

o_O;; Yeah... Ok.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
For U.S people- Brawl now available for pre-order on Amazon.com

ggnoobIGN

Banned
There were 29 levels in Melee(31 with an Action Replay) and with the roster expected to be significantly bumped up and now stages being there without playable representatives, I would say 40 seems like the right amount.

[Nintex]

They can easily make 40 levels in the game, they can just add a few classics from 64 and Melee, Hyrule Castle, Final Destination, Brinstar etc. and redo the textures/graphics or just use the old ones.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah I don't see how 40 stages is out of the question. Hell, they may add a lot of past stages, giving us 50 or 60 -- how awesome would that be?

And I suppose we are going a little overboard on the "omgz all stages will be boring!!1" speculation. :lol Sakurai has to mete out these updates for the next 4 months, after all.

Innotech

Banned
the wii is just going to go supernova on the back of this game.
Well aside from all the other things it has going for it. If this game ends up being online, holy ****ing shit.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
The order of these updates is so strange to me. We still have 4 months worth of daily weekday updates to go, and yet Sakurai reveals two stages in the same week? If he is only going to reveal the stuff that is not unlockable before the game comes out, it seems like he is going to run out of interesting updates soon.

You'd think he'd have spaced out characters and stages more... in a few weeks we're going to have a few months straight of just pokemon and 'how to play' updates? :lol Will be interesting to see. Maybe Sakurai has a master plan!

Also, quick question... Does anyone know off the top of their head... did the "Classc" stages that appear in melee get a graphical update, or were they identical to how they appeared in SSB64? I can't seem to remember... I'm mainly wondering because I'm dreaming of the original Hyrule Castle n64 stage making an appearence in Brawl, and it would rock to see it get a graphical update. :D

usea

MrCheez said:
Also, quick question... Does anyone know off the top of their head... did the "Classc" stages that appear in melee get a graphical update, or were they identical to how they appeared in SSB64? I can't seem to remember... I'm mainly wondering because I'm dreaming of the original Hyrule Castle n64 stage making an appearence in Brawl, and it would rock to see it get a graphical update. :D
They were not graphically updated. Maybe just an increase in resolution and they looked sharper because of the engine, but all the assets were the same.

Honestly hyrule 64 would be a really terrible stage. They've come a long way in stage design.

Joe Molotov

MrCheez said:

Yeah, they were graphically updated to fit in with the new SSBM levels.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
usea said:
They were not graphically updated. Maybe just an increase in resolution and they looked sharper because of the engine, but all the assets were the same.

Honestly hyrule 64 would be a really terrible stage. They've come a long way in stage design.

Thanks for the answer!

It's been a long time since I played it, so maybe it wouldn't hold up as well these days, but my friends and I loved the crap out of that stage. o.o Plus, if they are going to add classic stages anyway, it seems like the obvious choice. I'm still surprised it wasn't included in Melee.

apotema

usea said:

Hyrule Castle was and still is the best stage

fernoca

Joe Molotov said:
Yeah, they were graphically updated to fit in with the new SSBM levels.
Ehr..Nope.
The stages were the same as they were in the N64 game..same music and everything..only looked sharper because of the increased resolution of the GameCube.

JCX

wikipedia is locking the super smash bros (series) page from editing until July 28th. Is anything big supposed to be announced between now and Sunday?

laserbeam

Banned
JCX9 said:
wikipedia is locking the super smash bros (series) page from editing until July 28th. Is anything big supposed to be announced between now and Sunday?

they may have had vandalizing issues. They will usually do short term locks cause of that

KINGMOKU

I want my two favorite stages from the original put back in, or I will be pissed off.

The Hyrule castle stage, and the luigi stage, with the left, and right bumpers.

Those stages were the best in the original game.

usea

Branduil said:
I don't see why they couldn't just put in all the old stages.
Probably for the same reason they won't include a poor online mode, or 125 extra half-finished characters. Nintendo would rather give you a basket of 3 shiny apples than 3 shiny apples and 4 shitty ones. I'm with you, I'd prefer the second basket, but I think we're in the extreme minority.

moku said:
I want my two favorite stages from the original put back in, or I will be pissed off.
I'm glad I don't know you offline. I hate people who get pissed off easily. They make me so angry I just start breaking things. You probably beat your children/girlfriend/boyfriend/little sister/neighbor's cat.

Innotech

Banned
why do people still assume theres no online in SSBB?
Its still a ways off and the TGS show is in between (I think) so isnt it still possible that they are leaving it as a surprise or something? Or did they outright say there isnt one? (not a deal breaker if it isnt but it would be nice for fans)

Firestorm

Dreamland 64 is the only stage I need =) I hope they don't have stages with lame edges. Like Pokemon Stadium and Battlefield =[ As much as I loved Pokemon Stadium, the ledge made me cry.

Innotech said:
why do people still assume theres no online in SSBB?

Because it´s Nintendo.
In 9 out of 10 cases Nintendo disappoints you (in the sense of delivering only the minimum).
There´s only rare times where Nintendo drops the Megaton (though when they do, they do it right).

I wont get my hopes up for online-SSBB.

MasterMFauli said:
Because it´s Nintendo.
In 9 out of 10 cases Nintendo disappoints you (in the sense of delivering only the minimum).
There´s only rare times where Nintendo drops the Megaton (though when they do, they do it right).

I think the "big" announcement that Reggie hinted for September will be Smash bros. Online. In an interview, he almost said it !

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I think the "big" announcement that Reggie hinted for September will be Smash bros. Online. In an interview, he almost said it !

Nah, i bet Reggie´s mentioned big announcment will be playable Ridley.

Somnid

MasterMFauli said:
Because it´s Nintendo.

That's not the case here and you know it. Sakurai was given a whole freakin' studio and office for the sole reason to create an online Smash Bros. He's got a ton of talented people, and probably unlimited budget and I'm sure Iwata will let him delay it if it's not up to standards like TP and Metroid. It's either going to be in there or it's just not possible to get it online under the standards that they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom