• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Somnid said:
That's not the case here and you know it. Sakurai was given a whole freakin' studio and office for the sole reason to create an online Smash Bros. He's got a ton of talented people, and probably unlimited budget and I'm sure Iwata will let him delay it if it's not up to standards like TP and Metroid. It's either going to be in there or it's just not possible to get it online under the standards that they want.

No. That is false. He was given a whole studio and office to create a GOOD Smash Bros. Not necessarily an online Smash Bros.

fernoca

Somnid said:
That's not the case here and you know it. Sakurai was given a whole freakin' studio and office for the sole reason to create an online Smash Bros. He's got a ton of talented people, and probably unlimited budget and I'm sure Iwata will let him delay it if it's not up to standards like TP and Metroid. It's either going to be in there or it's just not possible to get it online under the standards that they want.
WHAT?!
He was given a studio to create a great Smash Bros. game...not an online Smash Bros. game..
And since day one, they made clear that they couldn't promise online in the game..but that they were working on it..

EDIT:
Or..What Firestorm posted.. :lol

Somnid

Masahiro Sakurai said:
My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

Obviously it's not like they would scrap the project over a setback such as the inability to do an online mode that met the team's standards but online was always a big underlined bullet point even when planning started.

fernoca

Somnid said:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

Obviously it's not like they would scrap the project over a setback such as the inability to do an online mode that met the team's standards but online was always a big underlined bullet point even when planning started.
Exactly...though remember in Nintendo's case..online/Wi-Fi functionality...can be anything from actual multiplayer gaming (Mario Strikers, BWii)..to just leaderboards (Big Brain Academy)...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Firestorm said:
No. That is false. He was given a whole studio and office to create a GOOD Smash Bros. Not necessarily an online Smash Bros.

The truth is somewhere in between.

http://www.n-sider.com/gameview.php?gameid=1004&view=dev

Had Sakurai not signed on, Nintendo likely would have released a marginally-enhanced Wii-make of SSBM on the Wii with online functionality being its linchpin for success, so strong was their desire for the the Smash to go online, but also their fear that it'd be ****ed up if anyone but Sakurai made meaningful changes to the formula. Luckily, he did sign on, and a true and full sequel was made.

N-Sider dev summary is paraphrased directly from Sakurai's Famitsu column, for those doubting accuracy.

Innotech

Banned
I honestly dont care about online smash I just wanted to know why people have been so adamant that it wont have it.

they are taking BWii online, they already have Pokemon and Mario Strikers online and several other games finally making the leap, so Smash Bros online really ISNT that much of a stretch. the only thing really seemingly keeping it from working is lag from the very fast movements smash often involves. I could see some issues with that and its 100% essential that any online component works flawlessly with the pace of the game.

Somnid

So the general trend is one item, character and level per week. With "how to play", music and character move updates to fill in the blanks. One of the next 2 is going to be an item, probably today's and as Friday's update is always something a little more interesting. I'm guessing an assist trophy.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
So there's a poster on IGN who has been right about these things before saying the next update will be a megaton one. He went as far as to bet an IGN Insider account on it. So TIFIW. Hopefully we get something big.

ggnoobIGN said:
So there's a poster on IGN who has been right about these things before saying the next update will be a megaton one. He went as far as to bet an IGN Insider account on it. So TIFIW. Hopefully we get something big.
Is it you? :p

ShockingAlberto said:
I'd be willing to bet there won't be a megaton tonight.

If I'm wrong, I'll drink a can of Coca-cola.

the last real megaton for SSBB (IMO) was the assistant trophies update, there needs to be soon.

Okay, I bet it was going to be a new music track last night, and I was wrong...
Tonight i'll once again be going with it being a music track, but this time i'll be specific - it's the music for skyworld.

(or DK's level >_>)

scottnak

rayofash said:
Hi Branduil.

What's a megaton?
Ahhh rayofash... a megaton is quite a wonderful thing. It can leave you speechless... making you stare at the screen for moments thinking nothing but "wow...". It brings about peace throughout the lands... For a while at least...

Just think of it as what a real megaton would do ... except the payload is information, and the target is the internets.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
scottnak said:
Ahhh rayofash... a megaton is quite a wonderful thing. It can leave you speechless... making you stare at the screen for moments thinking nothing but "wow...". It brings about peace throughout the lands... For a while at least...

Just think of it as what a real megaton would do ... except the payload is information, and the target is the internets.
Despite being foreseen all the time, tit should be noted that actual megatonz almost never happen, which makes them all the more special. And if they do happen, they almost always happen on THURSDAYSTON.

Speaking of which...

ggnoobIGN said:
Despite being foreseen all the time, tit should be noted that actual megatonz almost never happen, which makes them all the more special. And if they do happen, they almost always happen on THURSDAYSTON.

Speaking of which...

I thought the original Megaton turned out to be Naruto for Gamecube

Sharp

ggnoobIGN said:
I realize that. Meant to put megaton.

As for Thursdayton, I don't think it was anyone's baby, other than the hype hype hype of e3 05
It was a Drinky thread. Two Drinky threads actually. Good times.

Branduil

rayofash said:
Which anime is the one with the girl faking a smile in your avatar? Darker than Black?
If it's
4vot99e.gif
it's Darker Than Black, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom