• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

This seems like a neat addition to me. I'm sure it won't be easy to pull off, how many insta-kill moves are easy to pull off in Smash?

rayofash said:
That's it, thanks. I have about 7 or 8 animes I have to catch up on and only 1 gigabyte of space to fit them all on.

Hard drives are ludicrously cheap nowadays.

Branduil said:
This seems like a neat addition to me. I'm sure it won't be easy to pull off, how many insta-kill moves are easy to pull off in Smash?
Every move I make when playing Smash is an insta-kill move. Write that down.

Haha, sorry, it was too easy. :D

RagnarokX

wariosoap.jpg

Boing!

I hope that when Mario or Luigi do this it makes the goomba stomp noise from Super Mario Bros.

That would be great. I already play as Mario mostly, so for him it's kinda like getting another extra move from his games in his moveset, it just happens that everyone else has it too.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mo the Hawk said:
Off the top of my head:

Mario/Doc (forward-A)
Yoshi (forward-A, down-A if you're lucky)
DK (forward-A)
Sheik (down-A that requires crazy precision)
Marth and Roy (ditto)
Ice Climbers (forward-A... you might send the guy upwards instead depending on whether your AI partner gets a hit too)
Samus (down-A)
Fox/Falco (down-A)
Captain Falcon & Ganondorf (down-A)
Mewtwo (down-A)
Kirby? (down-A) I think you have to land with the tips of the feet for the meteor effect.
Doc's was not a meteor smash.
Neither was fox's.

Sheik's down-air sent you upward, not down. Don't know how you got the idea that she had a meteor smash. Maybe you were thinking of Zelda's?

Roy's down-A worked very, very rarely (had to hit them on the tail end of the attack, as opposed to Marth, who you hit with the sword whenthe sword is still in front of him). if you used roy's forward-B move such that you had a sword combo like this: Forward-B, Forward-B, Down-B, it worked as a spike, I believe.

Speaking of which, Falco's down-A was a spike, as is Marth's down-A (no recovering from them, even if you jump or use up-B). Ganondorf's Down-B performed in the air also worked as such.

Terrell

I've been out of the Smash Bros. news circle a bit, so pardon if some of this is out of date.

No comment on this jumping off other characters jazz. Looks kinda cool, though, and kinda leans towards a reworking of some characters' basic non-special move set.

"Skyworld"? What, no Angel Land? If I didn't know any better, I'd think Nintendo was trying to rework the series to remove it from some of its more humble beginnings.

And Yoshi's character design seems more faithful to EAD's designs, which is a bit of a shame in some regards and very pleasant in others. I miss the texture work on his dermal plates, they used to look like red-colored bone, now they look like plastic. But Yoshi is intended to be a bit cuter and softer by nature, so it's a fair tradeoff. Still, kinda upsetting given that they retained Bowser's sinister lizard-like appearance. Oh well.

And lastly.... dammit, Sakurai, when are you going to confirm the return of freaking MEWTWO already?

Tristam

Marth's Meteor Smash didn't require crazy precision, but DAMN it had a crazy recovery time. I've definitely had plenty of accidental deaths by being over-zealous with meteor smashes.

Am I the only one amazed at the depth that SSBM had/has? I mean it's simply amazing that from an outsiders perspective it seems like an excuse to just have a bunch of Nintendo characters beat the hell out of each other, but to those in the know, it's depth gives it a place among the best of fighters out there.

Tristam

Talladega Knight said:
Am I the only one amazed at the depth that SSBM had/has? I mean it's simply amazing that from an outsiders perspective it seems like an excuse to just have a bunch of Nintendo characters beat the hell out of each other, but to those in the know, it's depth gives it a place among the best of fighters out there.

Smash Bros. Melee does have a tremendous amount of depth. The casual Smash Bros. player won't recognize it precisely because he is casual. Many fighters (especially 3D fighters) rely heavily on scripted combos to determine a winner -- Smash Bros. Melee requires an incredible amount of improvisation.

Uncle AJ

GaimeGuy said:
Doc's was not a meteor smash.
Neither was fox's.

Sheik's down-air sent you upward, not down. Don't know how you got the idea that she had a meteor smash. Maybe you were thinking of Zelda's?

Roy's down-A worked very, very rarely (had to hit them on the tail end of the attack, as opposed to Marth, who you hit with the sword whenthe sword is still in front of him). if you used roy's forward-B move such that you had a sword combo like this: Forward-B, Forward-B, Down-B, it worked as a spike, I believe.

Speaking of which, Falco's down-A was a spike, as is Marth's down-A (no recovering from them, even if you jump or use up-B). Ganondorf's Down-B performed in the air also worked as such.

Erm... should I have made distinctions between "meteor smash" and "spike?" They both do the same thing, it's just your position relative to the opponent that's different. And apparently, according to the update, jumping on an opponent's head in mid-air in Brawl is a "Meteor Smash."

Duly noted about Doc, Fox, and Sheik. Could've sworn Sheik's down-A had a meteor effect if you hit with the very tip (and the opponent had a decent % of damage).

Tristam

Mo the Hawk said:
Erm... should I have made distinctions between "meteor smash" and "spike?" They both do the same thing, it's just your position relative to the opponent that's different. And apparently, according to the update, jumping on an opponent's head in mid-air in Brawl is a "Meteor Smash."

Duly noted about Doc, Fox, and Sheik. Could've sworn Sheik's down-A had a meteor effect if you hit with the very tip (and the opponent had a decent % of damage).

No, it isn't necessarily a Meteor Smash; you can simply use the Footstool Jump to perform a Meteor Smash.

Mo the Hawk said:

It is no more a meteor smash than a jump is a recovery move.

It's simply a way to easily access a meteor smash opportunity. They're notoriously difficult to pull off with consistency.

Uncle AJ

Tristam said:
No, it isn't necessarily a Meteor Smash; you can simply use the Footstool Jump to perform a Meteor Smash.

Hm? Like a Footstool Jump is a set-up for a meteor smash attack?

The picture makes it seem like just using an opponent as a stepping stone will send the opponent downwards at the same time.

Tristam

That's essentially what it reads ("You can use it to perform Meteor Smashes!" -- key word here is can), although it isn't limited to that application only.

MaddenNFL64

Seems it stalls whatever the stepped on character is doing, and sets you up directly for a downward smash. Yeah, I think this will be big when fighting on the edges.

Metal B

The diffrent between Meteor Smash and the Footstool Jump might could be that the Footstool Jump dont damage the opponent cauce its not an attack. Also this could mean than the recovertime after the move is really high and your opponent can escape the Meteor Smash very easily, but you also can suprise your cnemy und then he has no chance to recover =)

But the move has for sure more potential for example:
1. Counter a meteor smash, use your opponent to come back to the stage and send him flying downstairs.
2. In a team one player can stun the enemy with the Footstool Jump, while your partner can attack him easily now.
3. Air Fights for Yoshi for example can look like this: Aerial+Down+A in the Air attacks the Enemy, Footstool Jump to send him to the ground and use his bomb attack to give him the rest. Looks like a cool combo move =)
4. Simple Meteor Smashing your opponent.
5. Use Footstool Jump to throw your enemy direct of a trap, like a Bomb on the Ground.
6. Use Footstool Jump to throw your enemy direct to your team partner for a team attack.
etc. =)

Tristam said:
Damn, you are a noob! :D

A meteor smash is basically a downward spike. Very effective.

EDIT: In Melee, did the game or manual ever identify a downward spike as a "meteor smash"? I don't remember -- if not, it's cool that Sakurai is adopting the Smash community's terms.

In Melee attacks only qualified as a "meteor" attack if it sent the victim directly downward but not if it sent them to the bottom-left or bottom-right.

Marth's aerial down+A was not considered a meteor, though, it's a lot more effective than one. His third down attack on his foward + B special, on the other hand, is considered a meteor because it sends you directly downward.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Great update. It would be really cool if you can use team tactics with this.

Spike and Meteor Smash is the same thing right?

Very awesome update, if the meteor smash like Ness from SSB is implemented though, it be oh so broken.

Ness was just a killer with that spike in the original SSB, i just throw u off the stage, do a downward spike and you're as good as doomed!

PkunkFury

I'm sure it's not broken, otherwise they wouldn't have added it. My guess is it's very hard to time while in the air. Also, It's possible the force with which you send characters downawrd depends on your characters weight, therefore characters with more difficult jumps get the better smashes out of this.

BigFwoosh

Not to get off topic here, but all this talk of aerial attacks made me wonder: do hardcore Smash players jump using the stick or X or Y? I had never really thought about it until now. You guys seem to know a bit more about the depth of the game than I do, so I thought I'd ask.

BigFwoosh

Hmmm, guess I'll have to try it. I always hated when I would try to jump using the stick but end up jumping the wrong way since I never can seem to tilt analog sticks in the direction I want to consistently (especially the PS2 sticks, ugh).

ant1532

Banned
Awesome update but I'm hoping this is harder then it seems. I hope it has to be very very precise spot on the person and time. I mean, meteor striking this easy and it springs you into the air for a safe landing? I mean at least there won't be any real bad characters. You should be able to kill someone with anyone now.

And Yoshi seems like he will be hella better now. His regular moves were good and now he has an up B that actually lifts him... Hmmm

superbank said:
Spike and Meteor Smash is the same thing right?

Actually... no. They're not.

In case anyone is wondering what a "meteor smash" is-- it's basically a cancellable spike.

There are very few true spikes in Melee-- off the top of my head, Marth and Falco's down-airs. Should you be hit by one of these over the edge, you're basically dead. These cannot be recovered from. Most "spikes" in the game, however, are really "meteor smashes". Take Ganon or C.Falcon's stomps, or DK's stomp, or Mario's F-air, for instance. These are examples of meteor smashes-- when you perform one over the edge, you are awarded the "Meteor Smash" bonus at the match end screen. This is where the term comes from. Now, there is a technique to save yourself from being spiked by a meteor smash that many people do not know about. I'll call it a "Meteor Cancel" since there doesn't seem to be any official term for it. Basically, whenever you are spiked, if you have any jumps left and your timing is good enough, you can jump (Up, X, Y or Up B) directly after you're spiked and your character will recover much faster than normal. You can tell if you Meteor Cancelled because you will see blue sparks around your character, much the same as the blue sparks you will see right before many Metoer Smashes. The timing can be quite difficult to learn at first.

I'm pretty surprised that no one mentioned this. Another example of the hidden depth of the game.

Edit: Actually, I see that Firestorm mentioned it last page, but here's the explanation for those who did not know.

Talladega Knight said:
It is, in my opinion, the only fighter out there.

Okay, wait guys, serious question-- does your opponent/tag team partner have to be crouching for you to jump off them? I'm talking on land, not over the edge. Because that's the first impression I got from the screens, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure. Hmm. Obviously no one knows, just something to think about.

ant1532

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
It is, in my opinion, the only fighter out there.
Talk about close minded and just stupidity.

Come on dude, don't mean to sound rude but that is ignorant and just wrong. This is hella worse then people saying Smash isn't a real fighter.

:lol Smash is the only fighter...

ok.

WastingPenguins said:
Okay, wait guys, serious question-- does your opponent/tag team partner have to be crouching for you to jump off them? I'm talking on land, not over the edge. Because that's the first impression I got from the screens, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure. Hmm. Obviously no one knows, just something to think about.
Well he didn't say anything about that so I would say no.

ant1532 said:
Talk about close minded and just stupidity.

Come on dude, don't mean to sound rude but that is ignorant and just wrong. This is hella worse then people saying Smash isn't a real fighter.

:lol Smash is the only fighter...
My friend, let me clarify:

To me, it is the only fighter because the rest are not worth playing in comparison. I just mean it as my opinion, not as an overarching fact.

Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive are the only ones I can play. And they are good, but not nearly as much enjoyment.

WastingPenguins said:

He has to be picking up the soap.

ant1532

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
My friend, let me clarify:

To me, it is the only fighter because the rest are not worth playing in comparison. I just mean it as my opinion, not as an overarching fact.

Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive are the only ones I can play. And they are good, but not nearly as much enjoyment.
Saying other fighting games are "not worth playing" is crossing the border of opinion and goes into making a statement as if it's fact.

I'm sure you just mean you are not into other fighters. And believe me there are hella more complex fighters then Smash out there and if you're looking in places like DoA you should try and look at other games for a better view in fighters. And yeah, I'm not trying to soud like "Hey you can't just like Smash! How dare you!" but just trying to show you there is more out there.

ShinNL

ant1532 said:
Saying other fighting games are "not worth playing" is crossing the border of opinion and goes into making a statement as if it's fact.

I'm sure you just mean you are not into other fighters. And believe me there are hella more complex fighters then Smash out there and if you're looking in places like DoA you should try and look at other games for a better view in fighters. And yeah, I'm not trying to soud like "Hey you can't just like Smash! How dare you!" but just trying to show you there is more out there.
No it isn't, he's clearly stating as his opinion: "to me". There's no other way to put it and it's a valid opinion, whether you like it or not.

ant1532

Banned
Soneet said:
No it isn't, he's clearly stating as his opinion: "to me". There's no other way to put it and it's a valid opinion, whether you like it or not.
I see where your coming from but damn, saying that just sounds so ignorant and close minded "to me".

ShinNL

ant1532 said:
I see where your coming from but damn, saying that just sounds so ignorant and close minded "to me".
If you're trying to prove a point, your sentence is actually a stated offensive opinion. However, even if it's an opinion, it's still offensive.

But saying "I only like this fighting game and no other because it's the only fighting game I enjoy while playing" is nothing wrong with it and just a matter of taste. Since there's no other way to put it you shouldn't keep attacking him.

fernoca

The thing about every fighting game, is that each game is a deep as the player wants them to be.

Many people talk about Virtua Fighter 5 being one of the deepest fighting games out there, yet..I've played and beat every VF game with Pai using the same Punch, Punch Punch, Kick combo; form beginning to end....I still like it anyway.

Anyone could say? "Well, go to a tournament and see if that works!"..but whatever..I don't play to participate in tournaments, I play to have a great time..

I've found other fighting games like Smash Bros. and Mortal Kombat .."more deep" because I play them the most. ..Melee and the MK games are the only ones that I've spent over 100 hours..just playing by myself...

Dr.Hadji

Tristam said:
Many fighters (especially 3D fighters) rely heavily on scripted combos to determine a winner -- Smash Bros. Melee requires an incredible amount of improvisation.

I used to think like this once but really thats not true at all. If your character doesn't have good sets ups/combos the character sucks.

You space until you're within combo range
You combo till you can't no mores
You can read them into another situation in which you have the advantage
and repeat

Sure there is a measure of improv in there but its not a terribly strong factor.

ant1532

Banned
Soneet said:
If you're trying to prove a point, your sentence is actually a stated offensive opinion. However, even if it's an opinion, it's still offensive.

But saying "I only like this fighting game and no other because it's the only fighting game I enjoy while playing" is nothing wrong with it and just a matter of taste. Since there's no other way to put it you shouldn't keep attacking him.
Attacking? I'm just disagreeing with something he said... When has Gaf gotten soft?

And saying "I only like this fighting game and no other because it's the only fighting game I enjoy while playing" is way different then saying "Other fighters aren't worth playing." That implies that they are all garbage and have nothing to offer, which differs from "I only like this fighting game and no other because it's the only fighting game I enjoy while playing" which implies he/she just doesn't find interest in other fighters which is perfectly fine of course.

All I'm saying is the way he/she said it made it seem like he/she was way close minded. That's it. Maybe they aren't and it just came out like that, not really a big deal. I'm not trying to "attack" anyone and if it comes out that way then I'm sorry.

Jiggy

My internet died about five minutes after the reveal, but here's basically what I would have said last night:

1) I hope this is like the wall jump where only certain characters can do it. I would find it really strange if guys like Bowser, Wario, and Donkey Kong could pull off this technique. And yes, yes, I know Bowser could do it in Super Paper Mario, Donkey Kong in DKC, etc., but not every aspect of every character from every game they've been in is carried over to Smash. And then it would also seem odd if lightweights like Jigglypuff, Pikachu, and Kirby could bounce off other characters. They don't even have enough weight to pull off that squashing effect, at least in my mind.

2) Edge-hogging just got some competition.

3) If (big if) everyone can do meteor smashes this way, then anyone who already has a meteor smash would now have a fairly worthless move. Captain Falcon, Ness, etc. Considering the implications, I hope this means that they have a new move in place of the old down+A, along with the old meteor smash mapped to the jump button.

4) There'll now be an even bigger gap between competitive and casual players. If you've ever played--or are--a tourney-level Captain Falcon player, you know what I mean. Not saying this is a bad or good thing, but it's true nonetheless.

Jiggy37 said:
My internet died about five minutes after the reveal, but here's basically what I would have said last night:

1) I hope this is like the wall jump where only certain characters can do it. I would find it really strange if guys like Bowser, Wario, and Donkey Kong could pull off this technique. And yes, yes, I know Bowser could do it in Super Paper Mario, Donkey Kong in DKC, etc., but not every aspect of every character from every game they've been in is carried over to Smash. And then it would also seem odd if lightweights like Jigglypuff, Pikachu, and Kirby could bounce off other characters. They don't even have enough weight to pull off that squashing effect, at least in my mind.

i think it woudl be fine if anyone could do it, just as long as bowser obviously doesn't get the same verticle benefit as, say, yoshi, to account for weight - and also, the amount of bounce should also be effected by WHO one is bouncing off of, not just the bouncer...

marth and falcos dair are not meteor smashes but are spikes. the difference is that meteor smashes has that spark and you have a better chance of recovering in mid air if you know what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom