• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Innotech

Banned
QuickKick89 said:
And once again, HAL bias is shown.

Seriously, guys, not everyone knows your characters. I mean, you're making META KNIGHT a focal point of the game for christsakes.
most Kirby fans know of characters like Metaknight and knuckle joe. Perhaps not by specific name but recognize the characters. SOme people dont know who Wario is either.

Haunted

never heard of Knuckle Joe before. not an avid Kirby fan, sorry. >_<

'He.. He's strong. He's been doing some extreme training, I think. '

I still love the style of those updates. :lol

Somnid

QuickKick89 said:

Seriously, guys, not everyone knows your characters. I mean, you're making META KNIGHT a focal point of the game for christsakes.

How about you play a Kirby game? He's no more obscure to a Kirby player as Hammer Bros is to a Mario player.

Milabrega

BorkBork said:
underwhelming for a Friday update.

Ya...

He's a kirby character? Wait..... What??

Which kirby game??

Edit: I don't recognize him, and there are a lot of other kirby characters that come to mind before this character, but putting preferences aside....

This is actually great news. Seeing as how this is a kirby assist trophy, and not King Dedede ( arugably the third most popular kirby character ), could conspiracy theorists see this as confirming Dedede as playable and not an assist trophy?

Uncle AJ

The sheer number of possible assist chars in this game is making my head hurt. Knuckle Joe has got to be part of the B-grade roster; imagine which AAA chars they're saving.

fernoca

Yeah...HAL sucks..even though they are not making the game...the suck..their influence..I smell their influence!!! :lol

Great (and unexpected) update by the way.. :)

Haunted

Now I'm interested in what happens when two assist trophies are thrown at the same time. Do they cancel each other out? Does one assist trophy defeat the other? And if so, are they ranked - some are stronger and some are weaker assist trophies?

farnham

Banned
Milabrega said:
Ya...

He's a kirby character? Wait..... What??

Which kirby game??

the best of all

superguide.gif

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I thought he looked kind of like a Kirby character but I wasn't sure without the text. Knuckle Joes design is definitely less iconic than the beetle or the polar bear or Meta Knight.

Innotech

Banned
Haunted One said:
Now I'm interested in what happens when two assist trophies are thrown at the same time. Do they cancel each other out? Does one assist trophy defeat the other? And if so, are they ranked - some are stronger and some are weaker assist trophies?
well think about what happens with Pokeballs. Two players throw them, sometimes one is vulnerable, but usually they both just attack and affect everyone but the player who threw the ball. I imagine its the same with assist trophies.

Haunted

Innotech said:
well think about what happens with Pokeballs. Two players throw them, sometimes one is vulnerable, but usually they both just attack and affect everyone but the player who threw the ball. I imagine its the same with assist trophies.
That's probable. It's just that their powers are so different. I mean, what's poor ol' Knuckle Joe going to do when someone threw that mayor before and there's a skyscraper popping up in the middle of the stage :lol

This is actually a pretty damn cool surprise. THIS is what assist trophies are all about.

This is probably my favorite update this week, even over Yoshi.

scottnak

QuickKick89 said:

Today's update mini-meltdown!

Yaaaay! Kirby goods. Perhaps not directly, but me likes the kirbys

Soulstar

Yay!! Knuckle Joe, thinking about it he would be a great playable character too. I also can't believe more people don't know who Knuckle Joe is, as I recall he shows up quite often in the Kirby games.

PkunkFury

WordAssassin said:
Doesn't this update also prove that your character disappears when you use an Assist Trophy?

this looks to be the case. Especially with that first screenshot. I can't understand why they'd make your character disappear though, since you get to hang around with pokemon on screen. Maybe assist trophies are harder to avoid or something, so they don't want you using them to set up combos? Or they don't want too many characters on screen at once in case a few people get assists?

The best reason i can think of for making your character disappear would be if you take control of the assist character, but Sakurai seemed to deny it:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is sort of like a festival that all sorts of characters show up for. Bear in mind, though, that you can’t control any of the characters appearing on these pages. Let there be no mistake about that.

could this be a translation error? Is it possible you do control assist characters and this quote is referring to the inability to select these characters at the begining of a fight? Perhaps someone can double check the Japanese phrasing. seems leaving play while your assist character does its work would break up the frantic pace of the game

Jiggy

QuickKick89 said:

:lol
There are probably more people who know Meta Knight than people who knew Pit and Ice Climbers combined before their SSBM/SSBB appearances. Or knowledge of Ness and Captain Falcon prior to SSB 1. Or Zero Suit Samus, who was only in one game.

As for Knuckle Joe, come on, man. Besides being just an assist trophy who can't possibly ruin the game for you any more than Will Wright, he's earned his way in by having awesome moves (even if two of them are Ryu/Ken and E. Honda ripoffs, as you can see in this SSBB update) and mostly by being a recurring enemy in a multimillion-selling game series.
Come to think of it, I'd love to see the Kirby franchise's worldwide sales figures sometime, but never have--I think it's possible that it's quietly outperformed Metroid, from the bits and pieces I've picked up on via Sales-Age.

Somnid said:
I guess we need KSS on the VC. How the hell did this many gaffers miss this game? It's appalling.
I think it's because it came out so late in the SNES' lifespan. Like, at the time of the N64 or right about there. Doesn't make it any less appalling, though, you're right. :( What a brilliant game.

And anyone posting in a Smash Bros. thread should be especially inclined to download it for its historical value. There are so many ideas from Kirby Super Star that became SSB or SSBM staples--having different attacks for each direction and each button, the control scheme in general, SSBM's multidirectional throws, bubble-shaped shields put up by holding L or R (Mirror Kirby), the concept of useless-but-pretty collectible items from several Nintendo franchise worlds, even the gameplay speed is pretty close between KSS and SSBM...

QuickKick89 said:

Sakurai bias is shown***

The guy just really loves his characters, good for him. Kirby characters are good, memorable characters to Nintendo veterans.

Think of how big the Kirby franchise is to Nintendo, how long it's been around. Now think of the wide-array of Kirby characters we got to play as in Smash Melee.

Yeah.. the assist trophy is awesome. End of story.

is Kirby even a popular series in America or Japan?

I enjoyed almost all the games in the series, even the spinoffs, but I still wonder how much appeal it has.

I remember when Metaknight was shown, no one I talked to knew who he was and none of them even knew about King Dedede when I talked about him.

Taxman

Jiggy37 said:
And anyone posting in a Smash Bros. thread should be especially inclined to download it for its historical value.

Oh, hell yes. I think I would get it even if it was 30 bucks. Remember the one part in the Revenge of MetaKnight where you discover the one guy's secret tomato room or something? That was so funny back then. In fact, I think there should be more games where you can see the antagonist's talking as you play.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Somnid said:
I guess we need KSS on the VC. How the hell did this many gaffers miss this game? It's appalling.

I'm pretty sure everyone played KSS, we just don't remember Knuckle Joes generic design.

M3wThr33

Banned
Would not rebuy KSS.
The Great Cave Offensive is staying at 100% done and that's that. I completed the game and I don't want to have to relive it.

Jiggy

Linkzg said:
is Kirby even a popular series in America or Japan?

I enjoyed almost all the games in the series, even the spinoffs, but I still wonder how much appeal it has.
Just found something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Kirby Super Star (1.1 million in Japan)
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (1.07 million in Japan)
Kirby's Dream Land 2 (1.49 million in Japan)
Kirby's Dream Land (1.45 million in Japan)
Kirby's Pinball Land (1.12 million in Japan)
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland (1.12 million in US)
Kirby: Squeak Squad (1.73 million)

I think it's safe to call it a popular series. It still kind of makes me sad, though, to not have figures for Kirby's Adventure, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Kirby Canvas Curse, Kirby's Dream Course, Kirby's Air Ride, or Kirby's Dreamland 3. Or, heck, even just having US sales data for those first five games listed on Wikipedia, and Japanese sales of Nightmare in Dreamland.

I'm more sure than before that Kirby is probably a better seller than Metroid overall. It's sold 9.08 million just from data that limited. If I fill in the gaps by assuming that Kirby Squeak Squad's 1.73 million combined carries over across the board for the other listed games, that would get to 12.11 million, but I think that would be a low estimate since it looks more like Kirby tends to sell a million in each region individually. Actually, though, even if the 12.11 was right on, that would still leave the six unlisted Kirby games and spinoffs to fill in the gap between that and the 13 million figure Nintendo was using last year for Metroid. Hmm.

Anyway, enough Sales-Age for the Smash thread, but I love the Kirby franchise. >_> Even if it is 12 years later and I'm still waiting for a true follow-up to Super Star.

Taxman said:
Oh, hell yes. I think I would get it even if it was 30 bucks. Remember the one part in the Revenge of MetaKnight where you discover the one guy's secret tomato room or something? That was so funny back then. In fact, I think there should be more games where you can see the antagonist's talking as you play.
I totally don't remember that and wish I did. But yeah, even at 30 bucks I wouldn't care. Kirby Super Star would be worth it.

Edit:
M3wThr33 said:
Would not rebuy KSS.
The Great Cave Offensive is staying at 100% done and that's that. I completed the game and I don't want to have to relive it.
You know, other than Milky Way Wishes, The Great Cave Offensive was actually my favorite adventure; I think I started it over at least ten times. (I liked The Arena more too, but that's just a boss rush.)
But then, I'm a completionist, so yeah. >_>

Taxman

M3wThr33 said:
Would not rebuy KSS.
I swear I played that game over 120 hours, and I could never get 100% on GCO. How in the world did you accomplish that?

I totally don't remember that and wish I did.
Yeah, it was this secret room you could find. The one guy would be like "O noes! He found my stash!" And the boss would yell at him. Why aren't there more games where you can see the enemies' reactions as you're playing? That was really cool.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sakurai did say right from the get go that some Assist Trophy characters were going to be obscure and only true fans of their respective games would likely recognize them. This seems to go right along with that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wait, does each playable character have certain assist trophies that only pop up for them, or is it all random?

Haunted One said:
never heard of Knuckle Joe before. not an avid Kirby fan, sorry. >_<

'He.. He's strong. He's been doing some extreme training, I think. '

I still love the style of those updates. :lol

I'm a fan of Kirby, but I don't remember this character either ! Who is it ?

[Nintex]

People who own a SNES and don't know Knuckle Joe obviously don't have any friends to play co-op with. That is the single most awesome sidekick in any game ever, **** Clank, Daxter, Fludd and even Yoshi.

[Nintex] said:
People who own a SNES and don't know Knuckle Joe obviously don't have any friends to play co-op with. That is the single most awesome sidekick in any game ever, **** Clank, Daxter, Fludd and even Yoshi.

Plasma Kirby + Knuckle Joe ftw. Plasma Wisp was too ****in slow as a sidekick but ruled as a Kirby power.

Artanisix

I was always fond of Knuckle Joe, the Sword power assist dude, and the Mirror power assist dude. Hammer was too big and you had to teleport to Kirby a lot. Laaaame.

Haunted

Dan said:
Wait, does each playable character have certain assist trophies that only pop up for them, or is it all random?
It's all random, they're just showing the connection (if possible, the mayor doesn't have any connections to playable characters (at least yet. :eek:)) in the updates to make cooler screenshots, I assume.

Haunted One said:
It's all random, they're just showing the connection (if possible, the mayor doesn't have any connections to playable characters (at least yet. :eek:)) in the updates to make cooler screenshots, I assume.

That's not the mayor, Wright makes YOU the mayor!

But I'll let that slide since your avatar has one of the most kick ass games of all time on it.

RED HARLOW FOR SMASH ASSIST!!
I can dream, right? :[

HAL_Laboratory said:
Of all the characters...

What the hell were they thinking?
They were probably thinking "It's an obscure character on-screen for maybe ten seconds at most and we did say a lot of the assist trophies would be obscure characters, plus he's one of maybe sixty or seventy and absolutely no worse than Dr. Wright, so **** whatever idiot kids on the internet are complaining about in regards to 'oh noes why isn't my assist character the goddamn beetle i am going to freak out about this' because they'll bitch about anything."

I mean, that'd be the logical train of thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom