• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I don't get the complaints about having Knuckle Joe as an assist trophy. Surely the whole idea behind Smash Bros. was to include as much Nintendo paraphenalia(sp) as possible, no matter how obscure it is?

Incidentally I knew where he was from, but it took me a few seconds to tweak it.

AWESOME

I kind of wish Knuckle Joe was a playable character. He almost has a full moveset and it seems like they put alot of effort into him graphically (just check out my avatar).

Here's hoping for more kirby characters in the assist trophies...

- Mirror
- Bugsy
- Plasma-wisp
- ice and fire guy combo!

:D

GamerSoul

Knuckle Joe is back!.....as an AT. Atleast he's in the game, it brings back old memories. Fighter Kirby + Knuckle Joe = my most fav. co-op team in Super Star.

Uncle AJ

-WindYoshi- said:
AWESOME- Mirror
- Bugsy
- Plasma-wisp
- ice and fire guy combo!
:D

See? No one can remember all of their names. :lol

Waddle Doo, Knuckle Joe, Sir Kibble, Plasma-Wisp, Wheelie, um.... the little guy in the nightcap who gives you Bomb ability....... Ninja guy...... giant Hammer dude..... :/

I was really young when I played KSS, so even though I thought Milky Way Wishes mode was pretty much the GREATEST THING EVAR, it was also kind of broken. Once you found the Hammer ability, you could just spam the hammer throw to slice through the bosses like a hot knife through butter.

Speaking of the hammer, they really need to do something about Kirby's forward-B attack to make it not completely useless (or at least more effective than a forward smash).

For Assist Trophies, I want...

Broom Hatter
Chilly
Starman
Bomber
Javelin Knight
Trident Knight
Mace Knight
Axe Knight
Blade Knight
Sword Knight
Heavy Knight
Sir Kibble
Poppy Bros. Jr.
Waddle Dee
Waddle Doo
Wheelie (in motorcycle side car form)
Bonkers
Bugzzy
Mr. Tick Tock
Mr. Frosty
Rolling Turtle
Paint Roller
Lolo & Lala
Ice Dragon
Burnin' Leo
Bio Spark
Capsule J
Jungle Bomb
Gim
Walkie
Plasma Wisp
Rocky
Sim Mirror
TAC
Jukiddo
Cook Kawasaki
Iron Mom
Dyna Blade
Fatty Whale
Battle Windows
Gameleonarm
Wham Bam Rock
Heavy Lobster
Marx
Captain Stitch
Kracko
Big Metalum
Boxy
Bow Fighter
Buboo
Gao Gao
Tedhaun
Golem
Phan Phan
Fire Bat
Master Hand
Crazy Hand
Aero Star
Mega Titan
Wiz

Yay

TJ Spyke

Yes he is an obscure character. However, what about when Nintendo made the Ice Climbers characters in SSBM even though they hadn't appeared in any game in 16 years? Or Mr. Game & Watch, who hadn't been seen in an even longer period of time?

dyls

The IGN boys seem faily confident that Brawl will be online. From their "Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2007" list--

Matt:

3) Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Genre: Fighter
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo
Why?: Like everyone else, I'm disappointed that Brawl was a complete no-show at E3 2007, but that hasn't changed the fact that I still very much want and, indeed, must own this hugely hyped sequel. With more characters and stages than ever before, four different control schemes, new specials, and noticeably improved graphics to boot, Brawl has everything going for it. Plus, although Nintendo still isn't talking about it, this is sure to be the Wii game that really pushes the Wi-Fi Connection.
Bozon:

4) Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Genre: Fighter
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo
Why?: So each of the "Big 3" are actually making it out this year, eh Nintendo? If that's indeed true - and the company insists it is time and time again - I've got plenty of gaming to do. Smash Bros. Brawl would be my #1 game any other year, as it's exactly what I look for in my gaming experience. Take a highly competitive game, put it online, and throw in nearly every top-tier mascot in the world. How can you not get psyched about this game? The only reason this killer title is this far down on my list is because it's more of the same, and even though that "same" is still a AAA piece of gaming I've got no problem making room for future greats by dropping this down a bit. After all, everyone's buying this one anyways, right?

Bozon also pretty much comfirms Bully for Wii, if it hadn't been already--

6) Manhunt 2
Genre: Action
Developer: Rockstar Toronto / London
Publisher: Rockstar
Why?: I've got faith in Rockstar on this one. Not that Manhunt 2 will rock socks - I already know it does - but that Manhunt will make it out this year. Combining the absolutely brutal world of Manhunt with the equally disturbing motion capability of the Wii-mote, Manhunt 2 has already got me addicted after just one day with the preview build. Yes it's violent, no it isn't intended for kids, but it's still one hell of a game, and it deserves its time in the shine. If it doesn't make it, consider this slot reserved for Rockstar Table Tennis and/or Bully. I own both those games on their respective starter platforms, and they deserve every penny as well. Rockstar, where's my WiiTA?

dyls said:
The IGN boys seem faily confident that Brawl will be online. From their "Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2007" list-

I still believe that Brawl wont be online and unless Halo DS comes out, IGNs word is useless.

unless its a big surprise later on that its online, it doesnt make sense that they talk about online games for the Wii at E3 and not mention Smash, yet they mention Mario Kart is online.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
dyls said:
The IGN boys seem faily confident that Brawl will be online. From their "Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2007" list--

Matt:

Bozon:

Bozon also pretty much comfirms Bully for Wii, if it hadn't been already--

Bully has been confirmed for a while now. So has Table Tennis. All this stuff has been discussed like almost forever ago. I feel like I accidentally stepped back in time 3 weeks ago.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Linkzg said:
I still believe that Brawl wont be online and unless Halo DS comes out, IGNs word is useless.

unless its a big surprise later on that its online, it doesnt make sense that they talk about online games for the Wii at E3 and not mention Smash, yet they mention Mario Kart is online.

It would be a good surprise update. Close to release. It would be amazing if they kept it secret till the day of release.

woxel1

So is Knuckle Joe (and all the assists, for that matter) more of a CPU-type character than a "throw the Pokémon down and hope it works" thing?

dyls

AlternativeUlster said:
Bully has been confirmed for a while now. So has Table Tennis. All this stuff has been discussed like almost forever ago. I feel like I accidentally stepped back in time 3 weeks ago.

Table Tennis has been confirmed, Bully was just a rumor to my knowledge.

I say it again:

If Nintendo doesnt release a wireless headset at least together with SSBB and makes use of it in SSBB, they can forget about an online-mode.
Online-gaming in a game like SSBB without voices is like offline-gaming, just with, depending, stronger CPU-opponents.

usea

MasterMFauli said:
I say it again:

If Nintendo doesnt release a wireless headset at least together with SSBB and makes use of it in SSBB, they can forget about an online-mode.
Online-gaming in a game like SSBB without voices is like offline-gaming, just with, depending, stronger CPU-opponents.
Why is it that every single post of yours in this thread is incredibly, EPICALLY retarded?

For real. Just go through them. It's sad.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
MasterMFauli said:
I say it again:

No thanks, I'd rather not have the ability to hear stupid shit.

usea

Slurpy said:
No thanks, I'd rather not have the ability to hear stupid shit.
I think voice would be pretty cool, but I don't expect it. But it's just absurd to think the only difference between playing a human and a cpu is the voice of the player.

usea said:
Why is it that every single post of yours in this thread is incredibly, EPICALLY retarded?

For real. Just go through them. It's sad.

Thanks for calling me retarded...

It´s not retarded. What´s the difference in gameplay when you cant hear your opponent? It´s no different to playing the game offline. Please, Nintendo, include difficulty-levels up to 20 instead of 9, then you would see that there´s no difference.
Im participating in the MarioStrikers Worldcup here on neogaf, but it would be so much more fun if you could talk while playing.

usea

rakka said:
And not just in this thread either.
I actually edited in "in this thread" because to be fair, I haven't read his posts elsewhere. I should have qualified further, because after examination they're not ALL epically retarded. Just a large number of them.

MasterMFauli said:
Thanks for calling me retarded...

It´s not retarded. What´s the difference in gameplay when you cant hear your opponent? It´s no different to playing the game offline. Please, Nintendo, include difficulty-levels up to 20 instead of 9, then you would see that there´s no difference.
Im participating in the MarioStrikers Worldcup here on neogaf, but it would be so much more fun if you could talk while playing.
I called your posts retarded, not you. I'm not saying it's not true, I'd just like to be understood correctly.

If you seriously need it spelled out for you, there is difference between AI and humans. Really. It's not just 'difficulty level'. You know what, I'm not even going to take the bait. You're either 10 years old, trolling, or autistic. I don't care to spend my time explaining things that should be obvious to any of the above.

If there´s no communication i can play offline, as well.
Playing online without voice-chat is like playing offline with, depending on the opponent, a stronger CPU. I cant understand how you dont get that.
Try to imagine not having a chatroom or board to talk with your online-opponent. You just connect to an opponent, the game starts just like it does in an online-game, game takes place, is finished, battle-statistics are shown, over and out.
I dont need online-gaming for that kind of experience.

Linkup

Link

link.jpg

link_070523d-l.jpg

link_070523b-l.jpg

Samus

samus.jpg

samus_070615c-l.jpg

samus_070615b-l.jpg

It's amazing how well both those character model came out. I know I'm late in saying that, but they caught my eye again.

I was planning a fake update though, but thought better of it.

Branduil

MasterMFauli said:
Playing online without voice-chat is like playing offline with, depending on the opponent, a stronger CPU. I cant understand how you dont get that.
Try to imagine not having a chatroom or board to talk with your online-opponent. You just connect to an opponent, the game starts just like it does in an online-game, game takes place, is finished, battle-statistics are shown, over and out.
52oep8m.gif

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
MasterMFauli said:

Even if the computer is put on level 100, it's not the difficulty that matters. Computers NEVER have as much variety as a human player. This is NEVER possible. A human will never have the exact match twice, whereas a computer can.

Have you ever played Melee? Remember when the computers always went for a PokeBall, or when you got a star, how they always just ran to the other side of a screen. I don't know why I'm bothering with this explanation anyway. Are you 5 years old?

Oh but I'm not denying that voice chat is better than no voice chat, but that isn't what you are saying though is it.

WildArms said:
Even if the computer is put on level 100, it's not the difficulty that matters. Computers NEVER have as much variety as a human player. This is NEVER possible. A human will never have the exact match twice, whereas a computer can.

Have you ever played Melee? Remember when the computers always went for a PokeBall, or when you got a star, how they always just ran to the other side of a screen. I don't know why I'm bothering with this explanation anyway. Are you 5 years old?

Oh but I'm not denying that voice chat is better than no voice chat, but that isn't what you are saying though is it.

I played SSB64 and melee to death, no need for explanation.
Point is: A CPU at level "100" wouldnt behave that stupid. ;)
And as it seems we cannot get a consense here, at least try to understand that: the point of multiplayer-gaming is, to me, to reach a certain atmosphere singleplayer-games cannot reach. Communicating with my fellow players is a big part of this atmosphere. That´s why SSBB online wouldnt be as important to me as it would be if it had voice-chat. Ok?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
MasterMFauli said:
I played SSB64 and melee to death, no need for explanation.
And as it seems we cannot get a consense here, at least try to understand that: the point of multiplayer-gaming is, to me, to reach a certain atmosphere singleplayer-games cannot reach. Communicating with my fellow players is a big part of this atmosphere. That´s why SSBB online wouldnt be as important to me as it would be if it had voice-chat. Ok?

I don't know how cool it would be to have voice chat without the actually game being online too. It would be like:

Bro 1: I am playing Smash right now and I noticed so are you?
Bro 2: Yep. I kicking some Sonic ass right now.
Bro 1: That's cool. I am just staring at the menu screen right now. The music is so good.
Bro 2: Yeah it is. Wait a minute, let me finish this.
Bro 1: Ok dude.

8 minutes later.

Bro 1: Dude, you there?
Bro 2: Oh yeah, sorry I forgot I was talking to you.
Bro 1: No problem bro.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
WildArms said:

Actually both of the statements you're making here are incorrect.

A computer can trivially be "more varied" than a human player by simplying making an AI pattern that pushes a random button at random short intervals. Alternatively, an AI that reads the human keystrokes and responds to them would be exactly as varied as the human player. Finally, a third option is that Nintendo could run a neural network which takes inputs from human players. In this case, the AI would know only how to play like a human and would even be able to play in a way that a computer traditionally would.

Second, a human can have the exact same match twice, it's just highly unlikely. Exactly like a computer. There are more than enough pseudo-random elements in a Smash match that even after 10,000 matches you're not going to have the Computer play the exact same match.

I agree with you that it's vastly more likely that you'll get a wider variety of playstyles by playing against random players around the world, but this is only because Nintendo has not made sufficient effort (and neither has any other company). There is nothing technically impossible about making a sufficiently wide array of bots to mimmick the kind of variety seen in real-world play.

But I'd also argue that plenty of Melee players have logged 5,000+ hours on the game. I know I've played against bots for dozens of hours and I'm not a very big player myself. So Nintendo probably did a good enough job with bot variety to satisfy most players last time around.

MasterMFauli said:

This might be true, but the fact of the matter is that currently, the highest CPU levels offered by Smash Bros. don't even show the slightest hint (and yes, I mean slightest) of the intelligence, foresight and versatility that makes a good human player hard to beat. As it stands, even the highest level CPUs are INCREDIBLY predictable and easy to manipulate.

If the Brawl team is able to program a CPU that exhibits 1/10 the intelligence/versatility of a good human player, I'll be shocked. And there, friend, lies the appeal of online play, even without voice chat.

Slavik81

@ MasterMFauli:

"This might be true, but the fact of the matter is that currently, the highest CPU levels offered by Smash Bros. don't even show the slightest hint (and yes, I mean slightest) of the intelligence, foresight and versatility that makes a good human player hard to beat. As it stands, even the highest level CPUs are INCREDIBLY predictable and easy to manipulate." ~ Wasting Penguins

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DEzE_iZn6LE&mode=related&search=

"Playing online without voice-chat is like playing offline with, depending on the opponent, a stronger CPU. I cant understand how you dont get that." ~ MasterMFauli

Computers are predictable and can be manipulated with ease. They do not learn from their mistakes, so you can exploit them to no end. Hell, you can kill pretty much any lvl CPU in smash by simple spamming a smash attack. This doesn't change as you go from lvl 1-9, and it wouldn't for anything after. Humans, on the other hand, have a brain. You have one, I have one, and if we played online together we would adapt to each others strategies, learn, and take the meta-game up more and more as we played. 100% of the time, humans are better to play against than CPUs.
Edit: Also, this post has nothing to do with how they could make the computers learn from humans or anything like that, since this was not the case in Melee (well.... they DID learn from you in Melee, but it took a LOT of playing constantly with the same character for that to happen at all), and I do not believe the CPUs will be that great in Brawl. I think they'll fix all the serious flaws, but a computer will never allow for the experience playing another human has to offer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Slavik81 said:
Computers are predictable and can be manipulated with ease. They do not learn from their mistakes, so you can exploit them to no end.

Again, if you set up a pre-trained neural network on the disc and use the Wii's storage to store modified results, you certainly can do adaptive AI. You can also do adaptive AI by making a great, high-level AI, and having it restrict itself by default but grow to its true capabilities based on a quality assessment of the user (IE in-match handicapping, essentially)

I find it really funny that when people are asked to name the benefits of the 360/PS3 besides better graphics, they generally name draw distance and AI as the the next two benefits... and yet very few if any games actually even make use of fairly low level AI workings.

I know your post is just about SSBM in specific, and I doubt Nintendo will fix the AI substantially for SSBB, but it's not because it's not possible.

Haunted

MasterMFauli said:
But surely you concede that Strikers is a richer, more fulfilling experience because of its online-multiplayer, even though it has no voice chat?

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Those that are pining for in-game voice chat for this game obviously have not spent enough time listening to the enlightened conversation that takes place over Xbox Live.

If there's anything I want to avoid, its being called eight different racial slurs and having my sexuality questioned within a span of the same 5 words, all throughout the duration of an entire match.

My younger brother and sister will be playing this alongside me later this year, and forcing them to listen to a string of vulgarities and unnecessary profanity while playing online is not my interpretation of a good time.

ant1532

Banned
JohnTinker said:
Those that are pining for in-game voice chat for this game obviously have not spent enough time listening to the enlightened conversation that takes place over Xbox Live.

If there's anything I want to avoid, its being called eight different racial slurs and having my sexuality questioned within a span of the same 5 words, all throughout the duration of an entire match.

My younger brother and sister will be playing this alongside me later this year, and forcing them to listen to a string of vulgarities and unnecessary profanity while playing online is not my interpretation of a good time.
I hate when people say this crap. You don't have to listen to people like that. Take off the damn headset. And you all act like that's all the talk on Live sounds like when really it isn't and you meet straight people like you and I all the time.

ant1532

Banned
JohnTinker said:
If I'm supposed to take off the headset what good does voice chat do for me
Not a reason not to have it since you might get offended easily.

"It won't do me good so I hope they don't put it in the game." It sounds like you're saying that. Communication in multiplayer games should be a key element.

I honestly don't understand how people are actually offended. I mean when I'm on Live and hear people talking shit I just laugh. I don't understand how anything from a stranger playing a videogame over the internet and has no idea who you are is offending. Maybe I understand annoying but then just take off the headset or play with someone cool. Not everyone is an obnoxious dick you know? I mean what do ya'll do? Never go out and talk to people since they might be a jerk and offend you? Oh noes.

traveler

Not Wario
ant1532 said:
I hate when people say this crap. You don't have to listen to people like that. Take off the damn headset. And you all act like that's all the talk on Live sounds like when really it isn't and you meet straight people like you and I all the time.

Exactly. The quotient of jackass to considerate player is HIGHLY exagerrated. I hardly ever set up matchmaking with friends on Live and almost always go it alone and, you know what, 3/4 of the people I meet are players just like myself, looking to have a good time. Yes, there are idiots out there, but there are far more people worth playing with.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I want ant to be my mentor in Brawl online, and he can train me online and we can communicate via the Nintendo wireless blue tooth headset.

This, of course, is merely fantasy land right now.

ant1532

Banned
traveler said:
Exactly. The quotient of jackass to considerate player is HIGHLY exagerrated. I hardly ever set up matchmaking with friends on Live and almost always go it alone and, you know what, 3/4 of the people I meet are players just like myself, looking to have a good time. Yes, there are idiots out there, but there are far more people worth playing with.
Exactly.
John Harker said:
I want ant to be my mentor in Brawl online, and he can train me online and we can communicate via the Nintendo wireless blue tooth headset.

This, of course, is merely fantasy land right now.
:lol

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
This post is random, but...

God, I want the Elite Beat Agents in the game so badly. How awesome would it be to have a character who fights with DANCE MOVES?!

EliteBeatAgent_01.jpg

The only question is, would you play as all three of them at once? Or perhaps just Agent J, and the other two agents could jump into the screen for the Final Smash?

And then, the other huge problem... if Sakurai wanted to include a character like this, would he just choose the Ouendan characters? (Who aren't as cool, IMO :( )

It's a long shot, but man... EBA would rawkkk :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom