• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
In my weak attempt to muddle through the Italian based on my knowledge of Spanish, I think this is literally a move you can do to any opponent. If you jump on an opposing character's head, you'll bounce off, like Mario does to a Goomba but minus the whole squishy-squishy thing. It's part of the whole combat system. Crazy and unexpected, truly!

And yes, you can apparently **** people over when you bounce off them in mid-air:

technique03_070726d.jpg

Jiggy

Leezard said:
Is this the megaton we were supposed to get?
Depending on how many characters can use this (I note that it's in the techniques section), this actually might be a megaton. Not the kind I think I like, but it'd be a serious change of pace in gameplay.

Firestorm

oh shit, this is pretty cool =O

EVERY CHARACTER HAS A METEOR SMASH =O!
Can you imagine it?

footstool jump!
meteor cancel
footstool jump!
meteor cancel
footstool jump!

This would be so rigged if it were a spike >_>

This could be really neat. Especially if you have two characters fighting to get back onto a platform after being kicked off the edge.

Reminds me of the scene where Luigi jumps on Mario's head in the first story stage of Melee. Mario just sort of falls to his doom.

Artanisix

Interesting. Not a gamebreaker, but definitely a change in mechanics. I can see potential in this, though it needs more information. Does the meteor smash footstool jump use up your second jump? And I could see it being a lot of fun when two people are trying to get back up to the ledge. Hmm...

Tristam

Danthrax said:
This game just got even deeper. Sakurai wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to focus on aerial fighting more.

I missed that quote, but that's so awesome. I'm a Marth player and I excel at juggling, so aerial battles are always incredibly fun.

What the heck is a Footstool Jump?!

Well, it’s a cool technique. Basically, you step on your opponent and jump off!

That’s it!

technique03_070726a-l.jpg

Jump! Now press the jump button with perfect timing...

technique03_070726b-l.jpg

Boing!

technique03_070726c-l.jpg

And then you jummmmmmmmp!

Using your enemy’s spine like a spring to launch you into the air
is pretty fun.

What? You say it doesn’t have much strategic value?

No, no, no. That’s hardly the case.

technique03_070726d-l.jpg

You can use it to perform Meteor Smashes! Incredible!

PkunkFury

GhaleonQ said:
Wait, so this is only useful for meteor attacks when both are low and over the edge? That's...marginal.

well it also seems you'll get an extra bost from the jump, so even if you don't get a meteor it could still have some good strategy

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
GhaleonQ said:
Wait, so this is only useful for meteor attacks when both are low and over the edge? That's...marginal.

I don't know about that... it has tons of uses. Like footstooling someone into a bed of spikes, if any of the levels have that sort of thing. Or if you're Yoshi, you can footstool someone into the ground, they bounce back up and you Flutter Kick the shit out of them. This technique is full of win, IMO :lol

I'll be footstooling people into Pikachu's Thunder, personally

methodman

Banned
Tristam said:
Wait, what? There are many, many more applications I can think of.

... Jump off wario's head, making him fall to his death, swing the bat in mid-air and kill mario while you are at your apex.

Skeet.

methodman

Banned
scola said:
donkey kong edge throw + this = punched by your friend :lol

Even better, using kirby, swallow someone (no homo) and fall off the edge. let them go and jump off their head! YES </marv albert>

Tristam

legend166 said:
What's a meteor smash?

I'm a SSB noob.

Anyways, I'm happy they're changing the mechanics around.

Damn, you are a noob! :D

A meteor smash is basically a downward spike. Very effective.

EDIT: In Melee, did the game or manual ever identify a downward spike as a "meteor smash"? I don't remember -- if not, it's cool that Sakurai is adopting the Smash community's terms.

Tristam said:
Damn, you are a noob! :D

A meteor smash is basically a downward spike. Very effective.

So would Link's downward thrust fall under this?

I played a fair amount of Melee but 90% of the time I didn't know what the hell I was doing and just finished the challenges and stuff.

Damn I need some reading material. Tried googling some info on this and now I'm just more confused. :lol

Tristam

PepsimanVsJoe said:
So would Link's downward thrust fall under this?

I played a fair amount of Melee but 90% of the time I didn't know what the hell I was doing and just finished the challenges and stuff.

OK, I should have qualified what general direction a meteor smash sends a character.

Anyways, if you can perform the footstool jump on a character in mid-air, then this is REALLY big.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
A "meteor smash" is a move that sends an opponent down rapidly - too quickly for them to escape/react. They're used to insta-kill opponents who are off the edge of the stage.

Uncle AJ

Branduil said:
Remind me, who had meteor smashes before?

Off the top of my head:

Mario (forward-A)
Yoshi (forward-A, down-A if you're lucky)
DK (forward-A and down-A)
Marth and Roy (down-A, Roy's requires much more precision)
Ice Climbers (forward-A... you might send the guy upwards instead depending on whether your AI partner gets a hit too)
Samus (down-A)
Falco (down-A)
Captain Falcon & Ganondorf (down-A)
Mewtwo (down-A)
Kirby? (down-A) I think you have to land with the tips of the feet for the meteor effect.
Ness (down-A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom