• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Voynich Hotel 59

Q1VC9ZU.png

He's no longer pure.

wonzo

Banned
Honestly most of manGAF wouldn't complain at all if Mor had shown up and played a part in the beam spam battles.
I would as one of the goods things about this series was the relatively quick nature of the battles. To have this shitty war arc drag on for so long has really soured my opinion on what once was an utterly fantastic series.

Yuujou Kakin Kalman Gain 01

Ryuuiichi Sugihara is a regular high-school boy who discovers a mobile game called Karman Gain, a game with the power to alter reality by giving up life points. He soon learns the consequences of running out of life points and gets entangled deeper in Karman Gain.

Huh, pretty interesting. Not a bad first chapter and I wouldn't mind seeing where this will go with the concept.

The protag could get a little whiny though but I guess we'll see how this ends up.

dumbyugi

There's some more stuff announced for Jump Live (Smartphone Jump):

- Araki Hirohiko (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) going to make a pasta dish, then Matsui Yuusei (Assassination Classroom) is going to eat that pasta and is going to draw a comment about it. And here is a pictureof Araki making said pasta.

- There going to be a conversation for the voice actors from Kuroko no Basket.

- There going to be a conversation between Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi (Toriko) and Sasuga Yuu/Tachibana Kenichi (story author/illustrator of Terra Formars).

- Usuta Kyousuke (author of Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar) going to draw a mascot character from Jump Live.

- There going to be a game for Ansatsu Kyoushitu, Saiki Kusuo no Sainan and Shokugeki no Souma which going to release through Jump Live.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I bet araki can make a mean octopus pasta.

It's just been going on so damn long, and I never thought the battles were the interesting part of Magi, or even that good relative to other fighting series. I mean, we've totally left behind the characters and storylines this arc was about in the first place, and seem to be stuck in an eternal state of people popping off their ultimate magics one after another.

Yeah I'm starting to feel the arc fatigue as well. But the end seems near and the answers afterwards seems like it's going to move the story forward significantly, so I guess I don't mind that much.

This war is going for too damn long though, agreed.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am not even sure if there is a Shounen out there that do not use, or use it less often, the concept of "Beam Battle", where power up A gets dwarfed by power up B which will then transform A to D and then B to E, etc etc.

Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, anything. Maybe FMA? Not really sure.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think FMA does it, unless you count
people opening the door or whatever it was.
The payback for it is astronomical though.

Kurita

The best manga using the beam battle formula was Bobobo.

All that Jump Live stuff sounds pretty cool. Too bad we'll (probably) never get it.

wonzo

Banned
The Breaker NW 52-83

Watching gramps stomp the shit outta some scrubs was fun and all, but nothing beats Shioon when he hulks the fuck out. Holy shit THIS FUCKINS OWNS!!!

Shame about the mother though. :(
I'm sure the medicine guys will work something out for her and Shiho when they work out what the deal is with Shioon's blood.

Dynedom

Dyne continues his mad descent into slowjo

Shinobi Life 01-04

Seems harmless enough. And I mean, it has a ninja. A real ninja. This can't be all that terrible.

There's some more stuff announced for Jump Live (Smartphone Jump):

- Araki Hirohiko (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) going to make a pasta dish, then Matsui Yuusei (Assassination Classroom) is going to eat that pasta and is going to draw a comment about it. And here is a pictureof Araki making said pasta.

- There going to be a conversation for the voice actors from Kuroko no Basket.

- There going to be a conversation between Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi (Toriko) and Sasuga Yuu/Tachibana Kenichi (story author/illustrator of Terra Formars).

- Usuta Kyousuke (author of Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar) going to draw a mascot character from Jump Live.

- There going to be a game for Ansatsu Kyoushitu, Saiki Kusuo no Sainan and Shokugeki no Souma which going to release through Jump Live.
Come on Jump editors, you can't do all this stuff to make up for continuing Rookie Police woman.

Amano's new series is gonna be rad. Are they launching Live Jump with only to serializations?

Articalys

I will say, if you're going to copy-paste straight from M-H, you can at least take a few seconds to touch up the grammar so it reads like normal sentences.

dumbyugi

I will say, if you're going to copy-paste straight from M-H, you can at least take a few seconds to touch up the grammar so it reads like normal sentences.

I guess I could, but it's understandable as it is so I don't see it as a big deal. Speaking of M-H am I allowed to link to it as a source? They provide magazine scans so I'm a little iffy about linking to it.

wonzo

Banned
The Breaker NW 84-109

it's raining…

I guess I could, but it's understandable as it is so I don't see it as a big deal. Speaking of M-H am I allowed to link to it as a source? They provide magazine scans so I'm a little iffy about linking to it.
Magazine scans are fine as long as they aren't game related (according to duckroll)

dramatis

1. I've noticed some series with really awesome art and Middle-east / Central-Asia settings recently. For Juggler: Ethnic Romance. From Foolworm.
  2. Ultimately, we still don't see what it's like to be a lesbian teen in Japan. Or even a lesbian in Japan. For Aoi Hana (finale). From firehawk12.
  3. Lovely art and believable political story that still has plenty of action. For Shoukoku no Altair. From Droplet.
  4. dumb girls doing dumb and futile things For Sukumi's!. From wonzo.
  5. So if you want to see a girl fall in love with a misunderstood boy in 5 chapters. For Junjou Drop. From firehawk12.
  6. Yep, this is what I would expect out of a Minazuki manga about golf. For He~nshin!! Sonata Birdie Rush. From cosmicblizzard.
  7. Worth a read if you like that sort of stuff I guess. For Asa Onna Ore to Futanarikko Ojousama. From Theonik.
  8. Tsuntsun demon lord is adorable and works well with the sadistic sorcerer. For Maousama Chotto Sore Totte!!. From dakkumauji.
  9. I like the idea of doctors with lots of needles going around stopping creatures that cause diseases. For Double Gauge. From dakkumauji.
  10. A sun-hating, anemic, unemployed guy goes out in order to find a job to provide to his little sister. For Sen-Ichi-Ya DROP. From dakkumauji.
  11. (see picture) For Choku!. From wonzo.
  12. The mangaka does really crazy stuff with the shading throughout that makes for a visual style completely unique out of all the manga I've seen. For Jabberwocky. From hosannainexcelsis.
  13. When a shy but kind chubby girl gets creeped on by a chubby chasing pretty-boy underclassmen, funny things happen. For Pochamani. From wonzo.
  14. A bunch of stories all tied together by the presence of the Cat Eyed Boy, an abandoned demon child that finds terror to be lurking wherever he goes. For Cat Eyed Boy. From wonzo.
  15. Good art, good story, and the key scenes were pretty good and usual for otsuki miu. For Ouji Hiroimashita. From Dedication Through Light.
  16. One day while talking with friends about sex, the main character mentions that he would like to turn into a girl's bicycle seat. For Girl Play - Trans-Sexual Fiction the Girls Play - TSF Catalog. From wonzo. (...)
  17. So in the end I really enjoyed the first volume and I'm looking forward to reading the next ones. For Valkyria Chronicles Vol 1. From Lain.
  18. It was beautiful. It was also fucking depressing. For Hoshi Mamoru Inu. From AlabastreAizo.
  19. A really nice and upbeat Yuri story, which is far more preferable than some of the mind-numbingly dumb shite I've read recently. For A Secret on the Lips. From wonzo.
  20. Main girl makes it worth it. For Welcome to El Palacio. From Antiwhippy.
  21. Handful of recs of volumes from Dedication Through Light.
  22. Well, I just had that kinda moment with the first volume of this. Simply stunning. For Me and the Devil Blues. From wonzo.
  23. Moe book reading & case solving now as a manga. For Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou. From Akito.
  24. MC is an alchemist of sorts touring Renaissance Europe in search of the Philosopher's Stone. For Kenja no Ishi. From A Huge Battleship.
  25. I had a feeling, from what I’d read about Stone Ocean, that I would love this part despite the seemingly mixed reception toward it and I did. For JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean. From Kusagari.
  26. Black serious > Blond tsundere > Other Black hair guy > Blond meanie. For Boys, Please Kiss Him Instead of Me. From dakkumauji. >_>
  27. firehawk12 with a handful of recs.
  28. All in all Cross Manage was a decent read. For Cross Manage. From Dedication Through Light.
  29. It's a run-of-the-mill fanservice title with passable art and good pacing. For Okusama ga Seito Kaichou!. From Akito. (how far he's fallen)
  30. For as long as it is there is good character growth and progress happening throughout the course of the series, and it does genuinely feel like time is passing and the world is changing. For Genshiken and Genshiken Nidaime. From dimb.
  31. It was definitely worth the time it took to catch-up on it. For Tonari no Seki-kun. From wonzo.
  32. The MC is the ugly daughter of a beautiful actress (deceased) and is, naturally, going through hell at school courtesy of her peers. For Kasane. From A Huge Battleship.
  33. It doesn't match up with the style the anime is doing but it is still enjoyable in its own right. For Blood Lad Vol 1. From dakkumauji.
  34. It begins with a cheating husband hurrying home to his heavily pregnant wife, only to become trapped in the elevator of his lover's apartment building with 3 strangers. For Akumu no Elevator. From A Huge Battleship.
  35. This is everything I ever wanted after watching the Haruhi movie and more. For The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan Vol 1. From dakkumauji.
  36. About as brotastic as you would imagine with stories focused on two boys that normally get paired up. For The Misfortune of Kyon and Koizumi. From dakkumauji.
  37. A refreshing romance and a Russian bear. For Paradise Kiss and Biomega. From Alabastre Aizo.
  38. It's just three people raising a child together, related only by their social relationships and not out of any filial obligation. For Ohana Holoholo. From firehawk12.
  39. Another outstanding Type.90 work. For My Neighbors Are Aliens. From Lain.
  40. The concept for them and their one wish of a lifetime as well as battling using their pet gods of sorts is also a compelling idea. For FLOW. From Dedication Through Light.
  41. All of the above doesn't stop it from having its moments. For School Police. From wonzo.
  42. I like them because they aren't ultra-shounen, and have a decent mix of personal/sports plot and character development. For Baby Steps. From Quixzlizx.
  43. Cute girls holed up in a school, fending off the zombie apocalypse. For Gakkou Gurashi. From Dresden.
  44. The best cooking manga. For Little Forest. From flawfuls.
  45. Unusual to see such a badass fightan female in a shoujo. For Number. From A Huge Battleship.
  46. I do like how it's using the Wonderland characters in this and definitely would like to see more. For Are You Alice? Vol 1. From dakkumauji.
  47. Textless for the most part, about the passage of time and the observations of a young-ish woman as she waits by the willow of time. For anywhere but here. From Dresden.
  48. This one is one of those highschool lovers then they vanish for a few years, then reunite and confront those feelings. For False Memories Vol 1. From Dedication Through Light.
  49. Overall a pretty decent read for a shounen action series. For Yaotsukumo. From NeoSoma.
  50. Guy who hates his face gets hit on among other things by more popular guy. For Sekai wa Kimi de Mawatteru. From dakkumauji.
  51. So this is what happens when you take a warring states type and write it more like a popular shounen manga. It actually turned out pretty damn well. For Kingdom. From flawfuls.
  52. An incredibly heartwarming tale on the unbreakable bond between two brothers. For Ani Tsura. From wonzo.
  53. Youichi is a very serious, stoic young man with a girlfriend and a regular sex life. However, he has never experienced sexual self-gratification. For Self. From dakkumauji.
  54. ... a series involving time travel and infinite lives happenings is actually pretty compelling. For The Angel Clock. From Dedication Through Light.
  55. I think the manga accomplishes its goal of introducing us to the franchise and getting us interested. For Sherlock - A Study In Pink. From Dedication Through Light.
  56. Confusing, weird book, but in a way, a fulfilling read. For Kerberos x Tachiguishi: Harahara Tokei no Shoujo. From Lain. (It really is weird)
  57. That was a stunning display of art and imagination right up to the end. For Fantasy World Jun. From flawfuls.
  58. This is an episodic samurai era detective manga by Shotaro Ishinomori. For Sabu and Ichi Vol 1-3. From flawfuls.
  59. This one shot detailing Souta's view of his dad and dad's lover and just two or three short snippets of his family life situation with that was touching, hilarious a bit, and charming. For The Komukai Household's Circumstances. From Dedication Through Light.
  60. Good rom com that doesn't rely overmuch on misunderstandings. Cute art, fun characters. For Horimiya. From Haly.
  61. Pretty slow moving at times, but if you like Gekiga, this is a very rewarding series. For A Drifting Life. From AlabastreAizo.
  62. Right off the bat there are several "mini" stories involving numerous characters, and I think this could lead to a great number of entertaining scenes and situations. For Ao Haru Ride Vol 1. From Kurita.
  63. Best action series in some time and it's all in colour. For Feng Shen Ji. From Poetic.Injustice.
  64. The setting is great, the characters are incredibly interesting, the political back-and-forth between the various regions and their respective rulers of the Roman Empire is incredibly engrossing. For Hishintan -Vita Arcana-. From wonzo.
  65. Otherwise, same old, same old, just more N now. For Pokemon Adventures Black & White Vol 1. From dakkumauji.
  66. The world that Hanazawa builds for the setting is endlessly intriguing. Not just one world of fantasy, but a town for simulation exists simultaneously. For Ressentiment. From AlabastreAizo.

wonzo

Banned
Apparently there's gonna be a special announcement regarding Medaka Box in the upcoming fanbook. I wonder what it could possibly be&#8230;

medakaa12.gif

Reknoc

Apparently there's gonna be a special announcement regarding Medaka Box in the upcoming fanbook. I wonder what it could possibly be…

I'd kill for the minus arc to be animated.

Though if it did I wouldn't have to since it'll probably kill Gainax anyway.

Malvingt2

It seems like there are quite some people here who are disappointed with the direction Magi is taking.

Well it is fine, I am enjoying this arc.. In the others forum that I do go to people are happy how everything is going.. " a lot of them want to see Mor back" Ohtaka is doing a great job and I am hoping for more awesome chapters..

Beelzebub up to 50

Demon world was just the change we needed and it was absolutely hilarious with giant Be'el, I was impressed. Back in the real world, the new school and all the delinquents in class especially with more enemies becoming allies has been a good running theme all throughout and gives me hope that the next arc will be much different and entertaining than the rest. MK5 even there too, lol.

Kazu must stick around with his general Furuichi and his bro Oga.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettouse chps 9 and 10 (ln)

The whole debate forum of sorts and then the assault on the school was one of the most definitive moments of the series potential. Hope the writer dives deeper into the mystery of the things behind the scenes soon, though I don't want the plot to completely abandon the school setting anytime soon.

K - Memory of Red 14

That was odd, it seemed the chaptered tied in three other K works with this chapter, Totsuka and Kuroh, camera scene. Everytime Totsuka gets screentime I just get sad, such a nice guy but then to be off'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom