• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flakster99

My first post in this epic thread, and I've been following the updates since day one. Donkey Kong: Final Smash is quite the creative force, I love it! I'm very impressed thus far.

Proven

To tell you the truth, after this Final Smash, my theory of how they're designed still holds up.

My theory before was that character's are given Final Smashes that are either extensions of attacks or of a character trait.

In this case, DK's Final Smash seems like an upgraded version of his Down+B, probably hurting people around you (as if the Final Smash is like 5 seconds or longer, it's kinda pointless just sitting there and playing while doing nothing to affect the fight). As a bonus, you possibly gain a super form for a while. Sounds fun.

We still need Yoshi's, Zelda's, and Fox's Final Smashes, along with all of the newcomers. Get to it Sakurai!

Proven said:
To tell you the truth, after this Final Smash, my theory of how they're designed still holds up.

My theory before was that character's are given Final Smashes that are either extensions of attacks or of a character trait.

In this case, DK's Final Smash seems like an upgraded version of his Down+B, probably hurting people around you (as if the Final Smash is like 5 seconds or longer, it's kinda pointless just sitting there and playing while doing nothing to affect the fight). As a bonus, you possibly gain a super form for a while. Sounds fun.

We still need Yoshi's, Zelda's, and Fox's Final Smashes, along with all of the newcomers. Get to it Sakurai!

You mean to say that they don't arbitrarily pull abilities out of their arse when assigning Final Smashes? That they are... linked to... the actual character?

Proven said:

Yoshi final smash will probably a stampede of Yoshi's
Zelda will probably shoot light arrows at everyone
Fox will probably call the great fox to shoot everyone or call the starfox team to attack everyone

ohamsie said:
don't forget kirby, they don't have his final smash put up yet.

Yeah, but we know what it is already.

Anywy, this is what I would like as my ideal character list...

Mario:

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Princess Peach
4. King Bowser
5. Yoshi
6. Toad

Pokémon:

7. Pikachu
8. Jigglypuff
9. Mewtwo
10. Munchlax
11. Lucario

The Legend of Zelda:

12. Link
13. Young Link
14. Princess Zelda
15. Ganondorf
16. Tingle

Donkey Kong:

17. Donkey Kong
18. Diddy & Dixie
19. King K. Rool

Kirby:

20. Kirby
21. Meta Knight
22. King Dedede

Metroid:

23. Samus Aran
24. Ridley

Star Fox:

25. Fox McCloud
26. Falco Lombardi
27. Krystal

Wario:

28. Wario
29. Jimmy T.

F-Zero:

30. Captain Falcon

Advance Wars:

31. Andy
32. Sami

Fire Emblem:

33. Marth
34. Lyn

EarthBound:

35. Ness
36. Paula

Misc.:

37. Pit (Kid Icarus)
38. Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch)
39. Ice Climbers (Ice Climber)
40. Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
41. Starfi (Densetsu no Starfi)
42. Excitebiker (Excitebike)

Third party:

43. Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
44. Mega Man (Mega Man)
45. Bomberman (Bomberman)
46. Blue Slime (Dragon Quest)
47. Nights guy (NiGHTS)

Haunted

A Link to the Snitch said:
Yeah, but we know what it is already.
You think he'll boil everyone in a pot? That would be ****ing awesome. I don't like Kirby and his platform games (Canvas Curse is the best one), but I'd choose him as a character for that FS alone.

PkunkFury

Haunted One said:
You think he'll boil everyone in a pot? That would be ****ing awesome. I don't like Kirby and his platform games (Canvas Curse is the best one), but I'd choose him as a character for that FS alone.

have you played Super Star?

you should play Super Star

Haunted One said:

In Kirby Super Star, when Kirby uses the Cook ability, every enemy on screen gets forced into a boiling pot, and then he cooks them. In the end, healing items come out.

Haunted

The_More_You_Know.jpg

thanks guys. Never played Kirby Superstar (or 'Kirby's Fun Pak', as it's called in my part of the world). It came out too late, by '97 I was already in full hype mode for the N64. :p

A Link to the Snitch said:
In Kirby Super Star, when Kirby uses the Cook ability, every enemy on screen gets forced into a boiling pot, and then he cooks them. In the end, healing items come out.
Of course, we don't know how this'll work in Brawl, but this part makes it look like a better final smash than others, because it would be a surefire hit. We've seen that DK's FS has a limited range, and Pikachu's FS can even lead to a self-destruct. Interested in how they'll balance this.

ant1532

Banned
If you have friends who like games too I seriously reccomend getting Superstar and play that whole game through co-op. Best Kirby by FAR

Somnid

kirbutashi said:
Kirby's final smash should just alternate between the different Kirby screen-clearers in KSS:
kcook.gif
kcrash.gif
, and
kmike3.gif
(all three).

You forgot Paint Kirby, but Cook does something slightly different and of course a completely screen filling attack would be unfair.

traveler

Not Wario
ant1532 said:
If you have friends who like games too I seriously reccomend getting Superstar and play that whole game through co-op. Best Kirby by FAR

IAWTP. Kirby Superstar is truly the pinnacle of all Kirbys. It even has the single best musical track from any Kirby. (Which is quite an accomplishment.)

Couldn't find the original track, and I dunno if it's against ToS to link it anyways, so I linked CarboHydro's guitar version.

Somnid said:
You forgot Paint Kirby, but Cook does something slightly different and of course a completely screen filling attack would be unfair.
I always forget about Paint, even when fighting Heavy Lobster and Gameleoarm. :( I didn't mean to insinuate that they should fill the screen in Brawl as well, just referencing their ability in KSS.

Jiggy

Oh, hey. I see shilling for Kirby Super Star. :D Quite arguably the best sidescroller ever, because even if it's not hard in any way it is stupidly fun. It kind of can't not be, since you have easily a hundred moves or more divided over all the powers--there are just too many ways to kill enemies to not be entertained.

traveler said:
IAWTP. Kirby Superstar is truly the pinnacle of all Kirbys. It even has the single best musical track from any Kirby. (Which is quite an accomplishment.)

Couldn't find the original track, and I dunno if it's against ToS to link it anyways, so I linked CarboHydro's guitar version.
For that matter, it also has like 15-18 of the other top 20 Kirby themes, whether it's Marx or Float Islands or, of course, the Gourmet Race theme that everybody knows now. The only really great track I can think of that wasn't in KSS wasn't invented until Kirby's Dreamland 3, and then showed up again in Kirby 64 for that log ride river level.

And yeah, as you and ant said, best Kirby by far. In fact, I'd probably go farther and suggest that just being the best Kirby is an underselling way to advertise it. A very large number of games are greater than the second greatest Kirby, but Super Star is one of those rare titles that should be in genuine contention for categories like best 2D game, best SNES game, best Nintendo game, and so on. Just awesome stuff.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Cyan said:
His special moves would be asking Fox to save his sorry ass.

I wonder if I ever played a Star Fox stage where Slippy didn't need to be saved. I swear Slippy feels like a science fiction videogame version of a Police Academy character.

The best thing about Slippy is how Falco is absolutely convinced he's gay.

Fox: You can meet Slippy's fiancee.
Falco: Slippy's engaged?!
Fox: Yeah, we need him to--
Falco: To a girl?!

Amanda: It's nice to meet you, Falco.
Falco: So you're not really a girl, right?
Amanda: I--of course I am!
Falco: But...you're getting married to Slippy.

Avrum

ShockingAlberto said:
The best thing about Slippy is how Falco is absolutely convinced he's gay.

Fox: You can meet Slippy's fiancee.
Falco: Slippy's engaged?!
Fox: Yeah, we need him to--
Falco: To a girl?!

Amanda: It's nice to meet you, Falco.
Falco: So you're not really a girl, right?
Amanda: I--of course I am!
Falco: But...you're getting married to Slippy.

Are you serious!? What is this from? Starfox Command? (which I have yet to play)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Haunted One said:

cf67022c25_std.jpg

Best part of the first trailer.

If it weren't just from an item, I'd imagine it would be usable after you filled up some sort of super gauge, such as with many of the other 2D fighters out there.

PITFALL! http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/items/item06.html
item06_070731a.jpg

This item appeared in the game Animal Crossing. Bury it in the ground and it becomes a trap. If you love playing tricks on others, this item can’t be beat.
item06_070731b-l.jpg

When you throw a Pitfall at the ground...
item06_070731c-l.jpg

It vanishes!
item06_070731d-l.jpg

When someone touches it, PLUNK!

Now’s your chance. You can’t help but grin.

Incidentally, it also has an effect if you simply hit someone with it instead of setting it in the ground.
item06_070731e-l.jpg

If you get hit by a Pitfall, you’ll drop through pass-through floors!

Getting thoroughly fooled by a trap like this... It’s pretty humiliating.

Nabs

Pitfall

item06_070731a.jpg

This item appeared in the game Animal Crossing. Bury it in the ground and it becomes a trap. If you love playing tricks on others, this item can’t be beat.

item06_070731b-l.jpg

When you throw a Pitfall at the ground...

item06_070731c-l.jpg

It vanishes!

item06_070731d-l.jpg

When someone touches it, PLUNK!

Now’s your chance. You can’t help but grin.

Incidentally, it also has an effect if you simply hit someone with it instead of setting it in the ground.

item06_070731e-l.jpg

If you get hit by a Pitfall, you’ll drop through pass-through floors!

Getting thoroughly fooled by a trap like this... It’s pretty humiliating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom