• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Goals is to get Indies access to full pool of resources on Xbone

nib95

Banned
Phil Spencer was asked "So do indie devs get access to the bigger pool of RAM? Or are we limited to the 3GB in the windows partition?"
His response was "Goals is to allow devs access to full pool of resources available, no indie RAM limit.'

Now I can understand being skeptical about Microsoft delivering on this. But his language is pretty clear. Microsoft's goal is to not have any memory restriction for indie developers.

I agree with this, but the problem word here is "Goal". That suggests it's only something they're eventually aiming for, not necessarily something in place now or for the interim. And there lies the problem.

Then there's the other issue. Cboat never claimed indie devs don't get access to the full amount of memory, only that the one's who are self publishing are limited. So that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

The question to Phil should be...

Will Self Publishing indie devs have access to the full amount of RAM (available to all other devs)? Or are they limited to a set amount of ram, i.e 3GB?"

BigDug13

That's not what the OP twitter says.

He was asked if indies get the bigger pool, or are restricted to the 3GB application pool. To which the response was, The goal is to give full resource access, and have no RAM limit to indies.

I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding specifically to a poster talking about another statement. Try to keep up.

I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding specifically to a poster talking about another statement. Try to keep up.

Errr:

It doesn't get any clearer than "NO INDIE RAM LIMIT".

(That's the setence in the OP twitter, btw)

No indie RAM limit means shit when there are 2 completely segregated pools of RAM. One 3 GB, one 5 GB. Saying there's "no limit" doesn't makes sense. Even AAA devs are limited to 5 GB RAM. So which pool of segregated RAM do unpublished indie devs have access to? All 3 GB or all 5 GB? It's still fucking unclear! Can't you see that?

I don't know how you can interpret that as any other way than indie developers will get the same resources as backed-by-publisher ones.

They maybe lying, but that was a direct response to a question that asked if the hardware resources would be limited to indie devs compared to other devs... So even if they give full memory access to the 3GB memory pool, that would still be a limit that is imposed only to indies.

He asked two questions and got a single word response.

So initially devs will be limited? Then down the road when you're fully implemented, devs will have access to everything?

Yes.

If this happens, then great. But I'm taking lots of grains of salt lately.

That's not what the OP twitter says.

He was asked if indies get the bigger pool, or are restricted to the 3GB application pool. To which the response was, The goal is to give full resource access, and have no RAM limit to indies.

BigDug13

Errr:

(That's the setence in the OP twitter, btw)

Well then I misinterpreted because you said it couldn't be any clearer. And the words "our goal is" couldn't be any less clear. I figured you were talking about that other interview where the intent was made way more clear than "our goal is". I figured you couldn't possibly be talking about the OP's quoted tweet because that is as clear as mud at this point.

My goal is to not fuck up in this thread. I guess my goal didn't come true.

Sorry but if you can't be clear enough to say the words "indie developers who self publish will have access to 5 GB RAM" then I don't trust your PR double-speak.

Remember, this announcement was leaked before Microsoft was ready to make it, the fact that we got any confirmation and even some details is unusual.

I think we can all agree that it is great to see Microsoft reverse their policy on self publishing, and we all hope that indie devs have full access to the games' partition of hardware.

We just need to wait until gamescom to hear the whole story.

Barzul

What the fuck is the word "goal" doing in that sentence though? "Yes, indie devs who self publish will have access to the entire 5GB RAM." There, was that so fucking hard? I'm tired of the sentences that have to be interpreted by a contract attorney. "Our goal is to provide..." That's "language that's clear" to you?
Yes the language is pretty clear to me. Reading both question and the answer, I really don't see how you can still get "RAM restriction" from it. Now it's up to Microsoft to actually carry this this out, that's where I can understand skepticism.

Top Bottom