• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Goals is to get Indies access to full pool of resources on Xbone

GFEric

Banned
The PlayStation 3 was a huge poopy diarrhea dump covered in dick waffles when it launched, but Sony spent the last 7 years changing policies and adding features and making it better. Now GAF can't help but trip over itself running to the next PlayStation circle jerk.

But when Microsoft wants to make changes to Xbox One policies (before the damn thing even launches) people treat it like it somehow is a bad thing.

In 2-3 years BOTH systems are probably going to be vastly different from what we're talking about now before launch and everyone involved on both sides are going to look like huge douchy hypocrites.

LEGGZZZZ

The PlayStation 3 was a huge poopy diarrhea dump covered in dick waffles when it launched, but Sony spent the last 7 years changing policies and adding features and making it better. Now GAF can't help but trip over itself running to the next PlayStation circle jerk.

But when Microsoft wants to make changes to Xbox One policies (before the damn thing even launches) people treat it like it somehow is a bad thing.

In 2-3 years BOTH systems are probably going to be vastly different from what we're talking about now before launch and everyone involved on both sides are going to look like huge douchy hypocrites.

Get that sensible logic out of here!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That's great! Good news for indies. It seems to me that they have now a huge market with both consoles. I still think that they have a bigger market with Steam and the Humble Bundles and all that though.

Jesus. There's so much wrong in this post.

I really hate how some have a persecution complex. Go back to the threads of those years. And then think about what's happening. This isn't about how "others are dissing poor MS for doing good, while praising Sony for anything", this is about how one company had to re build its consumers' trust after many fuck ups 6 years ago, and the same is happening to the company you're defending. So I kindly ask to anyone who's thinking about posting similarly to GFEric here: Be smarter, and look at the entire context of the industry before taking MS as a victim of forum posters instead of being the victim of their own mistakes.

Also, sorry for being off topic.

hamchan

After all that has happened the past few months you can't really blame anyone for not trusting what any Microsoft employee says.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it's pretty clear that Microsoft is giving indies full access. If they don't, then we skewer them. But for now they are pretty clear.

harSon

Banned
I'm glad I don't have thousands of people ready to comb every word of my sentences for potential wiggle room. Microsoft literally can't say anything without having an aspect of their wording/terminology put over a fire. It's deserved in some regards, but when even developers seemingly want the information to be false, you know things are getting ridiculous.

Respawn

Banned
If they really pivoted this point on the word "Goal" and it really means "well we couldn't meet our goal in the end, so indies don't get full access after all", I think it'd be about time to write a book on the nuances of Microsoft's neverending train wreck and they way they have used language to manipulate consumers.
Its just tiring watching this shit from them

Bsigg12

You're not reading closely: "No indie ram limit" doesn't exclude a 3GB limit (like all other "Windows RT-side" apps).

We have no idea where they're being allowed to pull from. There is the Cboat thing but like others stated to me, a lot of this could be in flux until Gamescom. Based on Spencer's tweet, it's access to the full system, not just the windows os partition.

EDarkness

The lengths some of you guys go to in order to twist positive news into negative news... smdh

How so? If it was set in stone, there wouldn't be a "goal". He would have said straight up this is the situation, but the what it's phrased makes it seem like there's doubt it'll end up that way.

trmas

Banned
Goal is the kind of word I use when looking at something to try for the next year in evaluations. It may come eventually, but not if the Bone actually does well and establishes a foothold.

They will keep it in their back pocket, just like the DRM issue. Funny thing is, everyone will forget about it in the next six months. If so, don't expect to ever see it.

Have none of you ever worked for a tech company before?

eorl

Banned
So much negativity for something so positive. Why do this to yourselves? I'm happy that indie developers are finally getting proper (and official) support for console development.

Bsigg12

Goal is the kind of word I use when looking at something to try for the next year in evaluations. It may come eventually, but not if the Bone actually does well and establishes a foothold.

They will keep it in their back pocket, just like the DRM issue. Funny thing is, everyone will forget about it in the next six months. If so, don't expect to ever see it.

Have none of you ever worked for a tech company before?

This will be something they push out as soon as it is ready. Indies will play a huge part early on in both the PS4 and XBO in filling physical release droughts.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
maybe this is what the ps4 ram rumor is about? ps4 limiting indie devs on ram?

though thus far, that would be very unlike sony.

nib95

Banned
Lol, what's written in the OP is not what he said at all. Key word here being "goal". But you never know, they might allow full access just to avoid the fallout. Though based on CBoat, doesn't seem like it at the moment.

RedAssedApe

Banned
He doesn't actually confirm it though. Saying its a goal just gives them an out/built-in excuse if that isn't the reality.

But people making a fuss is good...means if there is a restriction we can make them backpedal some more with our pissing and moaning lol

BigDug13

The lengths some of you guys go to in order to twist positive news into negative news... smdh

The lengths Microsoft goes to in order to spin negative news into something positive....smdh

It goes both ways my friend. There's a reason why people are super cynical when it comes to MS statements.

Called it. There is no reason why they wouldn't allow indies to use the full pool. Hell, even XNA allowed you to use 90% of the 512mb on the 360 (OS overhead and whatnot)

BigDug13

What part of "no indie RAM limit" do you fail to understand?

Because, there's "no indie RAM limit" (on the Windows partition of the XBO.( which has a total RAM allocation of 3GB))

If what I said is how it goes down, his statement is still technically "true" from a certain point of view.

Top Bottom