• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Goals is to get Indies access to full pool of resources on Xbone

ekim

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/statuses/360398296117821441
imagec4uww.jpg

Via
http://www.oxm.co.uk/59041/microsof...access-everybody-gets-full-pool-of-resources/

Amir0x

Banned
If they really pivoted this point on the word "Goal" and it really means "well we couldn't meet our goal in the end, so indies don't get full access after all", I think it'd be about time to write a book on the nuances of Microsoft's neverending train wreck and they way they have used language to manipulate consumers.

Symthic

Banned
I just had a great idea for an Indie game.

It should utilize the multitask feature and have one app open on the right and have the game on the left, the app being an inventory or something. Kind of like the Wii U.

Heretic

If they really pivoted this point on the word "Goal" and it really means "well we couldn't meet our goal in the end, so indies don't get full access after all", I think it'd be about time to write a book on the nuances of Microsoft's neverending train wreck and they way they have used language to manipulate consumers.

I understand the skepticism but this is getting too far.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
After the whole DRM kafuffle after the Xbone reveal and then again at E3, I often feel like CBOAT knows more about the console than most top MS execs.

He's saying "goal" because the access won't be available to all devices at launch, I guess.

If and when this arrives, it makes the actual devkit cost 2000 $ less than the competition.

:p

Afrodium

Banned
Everyone keeps harping on the word "goal," but how hard is it really for them to achieve this? I don't know a whole lot about the tech side of things, but I don't see why it would be a problem for Microsoft to let any developer, AAA or indie, to access all the memory if they want to. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Facism

considering all these MS execs had a different message about the same thing during e3 and beyond, i'm going to wait till there's a concrete fact-sheet that 100% that cannot be disputed.

then i can throw my hands up in joyous applause if this is true.

Goldmund

Everyone keeps harping on the word "goal," but how hard is it really for them to achieve this? I don't know a whole lot about the tech side of things, but I don't see why it would be a problem for Microsoft to let any developer, AAA or indie, to access all the memory if they want to. Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's not that they can't achieve it, they have a good reason not to achieve it for a while and keep it as a goal.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
All these goals and visions... why wasn't Microsoft planning good stuff from the start?

Well, if it were so obvious and simple, they wouldn't say it was a goal, right?

Could mean everything again. Yes there is no extra indie RAM limit. "There is just the RAM limit everybody has to work with when developing W8 Apps, including us."

I really hope that isn't the case though, would be awesome if there really is no limit.

calder

I don't know a thing about technology, but I do know how to vague up language in order to avoid a direct answer that I know will be unpopular. You should see some of the business docs I crafted at work, works of pure ass-covering art.

Put another way - if it was a simple thing for MS to accomplish and they had no doubts how it would work, why would you bother saying anything other than "Yes, all devs have access to full pool of resources, no indie RAM limit"?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Could mean everything again. Yes there is no extra indie RAM limit. "There is just the RAM limit everybody has to work with when developing W8 Apps, including us."

I really hope that isn't the case though, would be awesome if there really is no limit.
Yeah the way he worded it is making me lean towards it being this.

netBuff

Read closely: This doesn't mean indies will have access to the gaming side resources of the Xbone, just that they operate under the same 3GB and GPU/CPU resources limits as Microsoft's own "Windows side" apps. It's also a "goal".

Yeah the way he worded it is making me lean towards it being this.
Yeah and "having access to the full pool of memory" also would fit there. Yes they have access to the full pool of memory, the pool of memory dedicated for W8 Apps that is.

They should have learned from their previous wording mistakes and just come out and say "no limitations. Indies can use 5 GB of RAM." Just give a fucking clear number and everybody is happy. Wording it like that will always make people suspicious and for good reason.

ekim

Read closely: This doesn't mean indies will have access to the gaming side resources of the Xbone, just that they operate under the same 3GB and GPU/CPU resources limits as Microsoft's own "Windows side" apps. It's also a "goal".

Come on...
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-confirms-self-publishing-on-xbox-one/1100-4696/

GB: But this isn’t a situation where, if you just pick up an Xbox One at Target, you’re only going to be able to access certain parts of the memory, certain parts of the graphics processor? This is going to allow you, at least eventually, once it’s all put into place, to be able to do everything that someone like Respawn is doing?

Whitten: That’s right.

Oersted

Oh come on. Microsoft using PR talk? Who else would..?

Top Bottom