• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
worldrunover said:
This may have been talked about, but does "saving screenshots" mean just sticker screens? Or anytime you pause the game? If it's the latter, that will be MUCH fun.

this reminds me of how in SSB64 you could see Samus naked by using Pikachu.

worldrunover said:
This may have been talked about, but does "saving screenshots" mean just sticker screens? Or anytime you pause the game? If it's the latter, that will be MUCH fun.
I would have to assume that he wouldn't say "Rumor has it that you can even save screenshots!" somewhat down from a picture of you saving sticker shots if he didn't mean something entirely different.

Grecco

Holy Shit. Stickers! Can i put them on my notebook and my trapper keeper!

(Its a nice idea actually since trophies will be "assist trophies" now)

Best update yet. Sounds like the stickers will be rewards for "achievements" (wink wink) which is awesome. Flashes of the kickass Reward Grid in Kirby Air Ride.

BobJustBob said:
Best update yet. Sounds like the stickers will be rewards for "achievements" (wink wink) which is awesome. Flashes of the kickass Reward Grid in Kirby Air Ride.

That would be nice!!! I loved the reward grid in KAR.

Haunted

BobJustBob said:
Never played Air Ride - how did the reward grid work?

Nintaiyo

I'd like to see the stickers as something more than just something you can collect. I wish we could use them as stamps to customize something...icons, stages, characters. Kinda like an edit mode.

EktorPR

Scribble said:
The thing is, I like the concept....I just hope it's executed properly. I would have been excited if you could use the stickers in any way you want - i.e. stick it on menus screens, the character selection screen, characters, levels, anything. But sticking them on a piece of paper just seems kind of...lame. The update did say that you can stick them on "things", but I'm not going to read too far into that. I'm looking forward to more info.

Even so, Sakurai and unnamed developer are really putting A LOT of content into the game. You can tell how really determined they are to make a SSS game, and they just keep piling on the features.
It brings a tear to my eye, tbqh. I can't believe all these stupid drama queens putting this update on the same level as "banana peel" and "you must recover". >_>

Uhuh, agreed.

Haunted

EktorPR said:
Uhuh, agreed.
I wanted to agree with him, but the banana peel update was awesome.
I mean, when a banana peel gets dropped, everybody pretty much knows what’s going to happen next. Oh... She threw it. You're gonna slip! Trust me, you’re GONNA slip!

See?! You slipped!

I wonder if this joke is understood around the world. Ah, well.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I think its nifty and cool, will definitely bring even more replay value. While I was reading I kept thinking that you would be able to apply the stickers to your characters, so it would like Mario would have a Starman patch, etc, etc, but oh well.

Still, I like it, and pretty out of left field

Gekkonidae said:
What? Can you post screens?

I dont have my N64 connected, but if you do the down+B as pikachu with Samus above you, she flashes between her regular suit and her naked in the air with hardcore polygons going on.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
To address the "No trophies issue" :

On the Smash Dojo site under Game Modes > Adventure Mode > This World...
modea01_070720a.jpg

In this world, trophies fight.
modea01_070720b.jpg

modea01_070720c.jpg

modea01_070720d.jpg

They know nothing but fighting. Fighting is the sole reason for their existence.
modea01_070720e.jpg

Being turned back into a trophy, being unable to fight, is much like death.
modea01_070720f.jpg

Trophies will be there! I feel that it could be for unlocking content...

ant1532

Banned
BobJustBob said:
Trophies are more of achievements. You get those for actual work. From the sounds of things you just get stickers for playing.
Mistouze said:
To address the "No trophies issue" :

On the Smash Dojo site under Game Modes > Adventure Mode > This World...

Trophies will be there! I feel that it could be for unlocking content...
Trophies will be there no doubt, they already addressed them in cut scenes. And if you think they will be for unlocking characters because Mario turns Kirby real, that also happens with Mario in Melee. I hope they still do the fights with the hidden characters but you just see their silhouette.

Haunted One said:
Never played Air Ride - how did the reward grid work?

Each cell in the grid was an achievement (you go over the cell and you can see a description of what you have to do), when you completed an achievement the cell becomes red or green. Red = unlockable, green = no unlockable.
I'd say about one out of four unlocked something (stages, game modes, music tracks, etc.)

There were easy achievements like "race 10 times" but some were very hard too.

Meta-Knight said:
Each cell in the grid was an achievement (you go over the cell and you can see a description of what you have to do), when you completed an achievement the cell becomes red or green. Red = unlockable, green = no unlockable.
I'd say about one out of four unlocked something (stages, game modes, music tracks, etc.)

There were easy achievements like "race 10 times" but some were very hard too.

Also you never knew what the goal was for a given square until you had achieved one of the goals adjacent to it. So at the start of the game the grid was blank, until you by chance accomplished an objective, causing that square to be filled in and the four adjacent squares to reveal their objectives. Also some squares gave you a purple square which could be used to fill in any one grid square without beating its goal.

The goals were a really nice mix of brute force (play 100 laps on one of the Super Sprint-inspired courses), skill (several tiers of times to beat for each track), and crazy stuff (cross the finish line with a certain powerup, end city trial mode with all four players on foot). And there were 360 of them total.

So awesome.

ant1532: It said the stickers were "rewards", which sounded like something you would earn. You could be right though.

flipping_heck said:
Stickers

This is a fun extra mode where you can enjoy decorating things by putting stickers on them. You can even make single frame comics with them.

various03_070815d.jpg

And rumour is, you can even save screenshots?!

various03_070815e.jpg

various03_070815f.jpg
Yes stickers! Now we need a DS printer so we can have some DS connectivity and print out these stickers! :D

Threi said:
actually on that topic i have a feeling that CC will be the best control scheme :p

I think Gamecube controller and CC will both be even in terms of control.

Classic controller has more responsive face buttons, but the analog placement isnt the best for Smash.

and im calling Mike Jones as an assist character for tonights update.

ant1532

Banned
Linkzg said:

Classic controller has more responsive face buttons, but the analog placement is the best for Smash.

Gamecube controller is perfect for wavedashing so if it's still in, I'm gunna say GC.

If it's not gimped, i'll be using wiimote+nunchuck. I just love the feeling of that combination.

Any early predicitions for today's update? I'm holding out for something good. A new stage would be nice, but I'm expecting a final smash (maybe Kirby's?).

ant1532 said:
Gamecube controller is perfect for wavedashing so if it's still in, I'm gunna say GC.

crap, I ment to say the analog placement isnt the best for Smash on the CC.

I plan on using a Wavebird for it, that is unless playing with the Dpad turns out much better than I expected.

Amir0x said:
seems like Sakurai is a good guy.

that is an understatement.

Linkzg said:

Classic controller has more responsive face buttons, but the analog placement isnt the best for Smash.

I don't think mike jones has any chance

sakurai probably doesn't even knows Startropics exists

Nintaiyo

Linkzg said:
this reminds me of how in SSB64 you could see Samus naked by using Pikachu.

:lol I remember that! We used to do that all the time. Quite tricky to get the timing just right when pausing the game. :D

Firestorm

Well yeah, GCN controls will be best.

- best analog stick placement
- C-Stick

Yay! And C-Stick better work and it also better work in 1player. Going for a perfect down-air and having the camera zoom in/out instead was so damn annoying.

Scribble

The first option I'll be TRYING is the Wiimote. I don't understand how anyone could just plug the Gamecube controller in right away.

wow, I just realized how crazy it would be if Sakurai allowed 8 player Smash, 4 people on Gamecube controllers and 4 people on wiimotes/CC/Wiichuck.

Jiggy

Scribble said:
The first option I'll be TRYING is the Wiimote. I don't understand how anyone could just plug the Gamecube controller in right away.
Because old and proven is a good thing.

I'll still be trying the classic controller first, though. It's at least kind of wireless, has mostly the same layout, and I'm too cheap to buy a Wavebird. >_>

Scribble

Jiggy37 said:
Because old and proven is a good thing.

I'll still be trying the classic controller first, though. It's at least kind of wireless, has mostly the same layout, and I'm too cheap to buy a Wavebird. >_>

But to say that without even TRYING the Wiimote?

Wow, just...wow.

I'm anxious to see how the classic controller works with smash, simply because wavedashing, short hopping, and tilts seem like they would be easier with that layout.

Jiggy

Scribble said:
But to say that without even TRYING the Wiimote?

Wow, just...wow.
I didn't say I wouldn't try the Wiimote, only that I wouldn't try it first.

Edit: Just realized. If you're thinking that my explanation about the GC controller was meant to apply to me, it wasn't. You said you didn't understand how anyone could plug in a GC controller right away, so I was trying to explain.

miyuru

:lol I'm probably never going to try the Wiimote controls.

This game is intended to be played with the GameCube controller anyway.

Scribble

Jiggy37 said:
I didn't say I wouldn't try the Wiimote, only that I wouldn't try it first.

Edit: Just realized. If you're thinking that my explanation about the GC controller was meant to apply to me, it wasn't. You said you didn't understand how anyone could plug in a GC controller right away, so I was trying to explain.

That's fine. It's just that I've been in so many communities where people are all like "omfg brawl will suck if it aint EXACTLY like melee", and are snubbing the Wiimote without even giving it a chance. This kind of behaviour annoys me. I'm not aiming (lol) at anyone here in particular, it just amazes me how closed minded and stubborn people can get. You see this all the time with current franchises which date back to the 2D eras, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom