• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if it was mentioned, but KH: CoM was on GBA, so we could get Sora or Heartless from there. However I don't know if Disney hold the rights to them or just their own characters in the game.

Flame me if old. I love the pain.

mmmmmm

HeadsUpSevenUp said:
Don't know if it was mentioned, but KH: CoM was on GBA, so we could get Sora or Heartless from there. However I don't know if Disney hold the rights to them or just their own characters in the game.

Flame me if old. I love the pain.

mmmmmm

He was also one of the wanted characters on the fan poll revealed by Sakurai and Shimomura is also one of the Brawl conductors. I think Sora has a real chance of making it into Brawl.

Zeed

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
He was also one of the wanted characters on the fan poll revealed by Sakurai and Shimomura is also one of the Brawl conductors. I think Sora has a real chance of making it into Brawl.
Of all the Squaresoft characters they might add, I do think Sora is most likely. But that might just be me.

KINGMOKU

Gowans007 said:
roster.jpg

Looks like a healthy roster! :D
I choose to belive this is real.

50 choices? THIS IS REAL.

fernoca

The character select screen is fake..for now..
-Black background, when the official site hinted at a white background.
-Captain Falcon and Yoshi using the same render from Melee (not even from GX in the case of Falcon)
-Ganondorf face being from a scene in Twilight Princess (not an actual render)
-No cursor/button on top of the character that was chosen
-The game mode seems to be "3 (or 5?)-man survival feast" yet there are 4 characters chosen.

But who knows..

i really hope not, unless Wii is the future home of the main Kingdom Hearts series.

I know the pic is obviously fake but am I the only one who sees 50 characters as an entirely realistic number? I would expect at LEAST 45 for this game...

Jiggy

Zerodoppler said:
Still waiting for the custom soundtrack feature to be revealed. It needs to happen.
I agree, and expect this. I don't see how a guy like Sakurai, who puts in four control styles just for the sake of providing options, would neglect a feature used by other Wii games.

Edit:
SuperAngelo64 said:
I know the pic is obviously fake but am I the only one who sees 50 characters as an entirely realistic number? I would expect at LEAST 45 for this game...
Melee added 14 (counting Sheik), so I'm expecting around 14 new first-party characters, then 3-4 third-party. If some of the old characters are cut out, I think 40 is a reasonable number to hit. Especially if there are any more characters like Pokemon Trainer who (to me at least) count as three.

More importantly... As of today, the Dojo updates have only been going for three months and we've got eighteen character profiles (again, if Pokemon Trainer counts as three). Even if I reduce it to sixteen by counting PT as one, or to fourteen since the two-in-one updates of Mario/Link and Kirby/Pikachu won't be happening again, that rate would yield 28 revealed characters before Brawl is released.

It seems like one of two things has to be true: Character profile updates will slow down drastically in the future, or there are a metric ton of characters in SSBB. I'm hoping for the latter. >_>

SuperAngelo64 said:

At least 45? That's getting on for TWENTY more characters than appeared in SSBM. I know SSBM doubled the number of characters over SSB, but twenty-plus new characters is a big ask...

You have a good point about no cursors (unless they all blink in sync, and the photo just "happened" to catch them on the off-blink), but one thing I think you got wrong...

fernoca said:
-The game mode seems to be "3 (or 5?)-man survival feast" yet there are 4 characters chosen.

That's usually where the time is listed in Melee, I think it says "3-min survival test!" (or "fest").

KINGMOKU

Now that we know there are 50 playable peeps, how many third-party charactors will there be?

Man this game is going to be awesome for next years camping trip. :D

Firestorm

SuperAngelo64 said:

Sakurai said that they struggled to get as many characters as they did in Melee. 50 would mean they'd be adding twice as many. Not only that, but balancing the characters gets harder and harder the more characters you add.

JKBii

I think everybody has their own story. Like if you play as Kirby you'll fight Petey, if you play as Mario you'll start out unconscious in Snake's or Wario's or somebody else's world, if you play as Peach or Zelda you'll see a video of Kirby defeating Petey and then you'll chase down whoever brought him.

From the looks of things, this single player mode would be a great game on its own.

Jiggy

Game-Biz said:
That pic is such bullshit.

C'mon GAF.
Shall we count the ways?
-Wario between Luigi and Bowser.
-Peach as "unlockable" between Bowser and Yoshi.
-Last row so much smaller than the others.
-Mario, Kirby, Link, and Samus haven't historically been the faces of Smash. Mario, Kirby, Link, and Pikachu have been, from the E3 trailer--and so have Mario, Kirby, Peach, and Zelda, from Subspace Emissary.
-Looks pretty much like the SSBM character select screen.
-Disproportionate number of question mark boxes.

It's just too easy.

Jiggy37 said:
Shall we count the ways?
-Wario between Luigi and Bowser.
-Peach as "unlockable" between Bowser and Yoshi.
-Last row so much smaller than the others.
-Mario, Kirby, Link, and Samus haven't historically been the faces of Smash. Mario, Kirby, Link, and Pikachu have been, from the E3 trailer--and so have Mario, Kirby, Peach, and Zelda, from Subspace Emissary.
-Looks pretty much like the SSBM character select screen.
-Disproportionate number of question mark boxes.

It's just too easy.

Fernoca's reasons were much more compelling as to why this is fake.

Either way, still fake.

Zeed

Banned
Come to think about it, I wonder what kind of legacy Sakurai will have. Miyamoto is Nintendo's legend (a well earned position too), but Sakurai has a reputation for excellence that persists even after going out on his own. He's really dedicated to making good games, and was willing to leave Nintendo when they forced him to make crap (Kirby's Air Ride). After seeing his work on Melee, Meteos, and Brawl, I'm very interested in seeing what else he can do when calling his own shots.

all characters that aren't hidden are usually grouped up in the middle too.. there wouldnt be much logic to separating them in such a messy manner.

Firestorm

gimz said:
i thought kirby was created by Iwata?

No. Iwata just helped with the game (Miyamoto and maybe Iwata are also responsible for making him Pink instead of Yellow). Sakurai is the character designer of Kirby and the creator of both the Kirby and Smash Bros. franchises.

He's also God.

Jiggy

worldrunover said:
Fernoca's reasons were much more compelling as to why this is fake.

Either way, still fake.
I was trying to leave out things already mentioned. I see I was beaten to Peach, though.

Zeed

Banned
Firestorm said:
No. Iwata just helped with the game (Miyamoto and maybe Iwata are also responsible for making him Pink instead of Yellow). Sakurai is the character designer of Kirby and the creator of both the Kirby and Smash Bros. franchises.

He's also God.
This just slipped off the last page:
Come to think about it, I wonder what kind of legacy Sakurai will have. Miyamoto is Nintendo's legend (a well earned position too), but Sakurai has a reputation for excellence that persists even after going out on his own. He's really dedicated to making good games, and was willing to leave Nintendo when they forced him to make crap (Kirby's Air Ride). After seeing his work on Melee, Meteos, and Brawl, I'm very interested in seeing what else he can do when calling his own shots.

I'm predicting...

Unlocked:

Mario
Wario
Princess Peach
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Bowser
Pikachu
Link
Princess Zelda
Kirby
Samus Aran
Fox McCloud
Captain Falcon
Ness (or Lucas, if Ness is replaced)
Pit

Locked:

Pokémon Trainer
Ike
Meta Knight
Solid Snake

So if I'm correct, that means that there's at least one more unlocked character than in the last game. If Ice Climbers remain, and they have the same number of characters added as unlocked as they did in Melee (four), that means that we'd have two more default characters.

But I'm just rambling.

Firestorm said:

He's also God.

Miyamoto wanted him yellow.

Zeed said:
This just slipped off the last page:

You know, I never really understood his reasoning - how many spin-offs has Kirby ever had? Kirby Air Ride, Avalanche, Super Star Stacker, Pinball Land, Dream Course, and Block Ball. Avalanche was just a Kirby skin on Puyo Puyo, Dream Course was a Kirby-related remake of a generic golf game, and only Air Ride was a big budget Kirby spin-off.

I respect that he may have been annoyed by having to work on KAR, but he didn't have it THAT bad.

Zeed

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
You know, I never really understood his reasoning - how many spin-offs has Kirby ever had? Kirby Air Ride, Avalanche, Super Star Stacker, Pinball Land, Dream Course, and Block Ball. Avalanche was just a Kirby skin on Puyo Puyo, Dream Course was a Kirby-related remake of a generic golf game, and only Air Ride was a big budget Kirby spin-off.

I respect that he may have been annoyed by having to work on KAR, but he didn't have it THAT bad.
It's probably more complicated than it just being a spinoff (Sakurai's second game was in fact a Kirby pinball spinoff). We know that Sakurai originally intended to have the game on the N64, but under mysterious circumstances the game was scrapped and moved to the Gamecube, where the final product just wasn't very good. I'm trying to find out what exactly Sakurai said in that interview where he openly criticized Nintendo, but all I'm getting is that he was upset about the "circumstances surrounding the development". I think that this might have been another "Starfox Adventures" incident, where Nintendo bureaucracy screwed up a game in spite of the developer. I don't believe that Sakurai would've left on a whim.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Dream Course was a Kirby-related remake of a generic golf game\

Is there a fact to that? Dream Course is one of my favorite games of all time, and easily the best golf based game

I'm predicting...

Unlocked:

Mario
Wario
Princess Peach
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Bowser
Pikachu
Link
Princess Zelda
Kirby
Samus Aran
Fox McCloud
Captain Falcon
Ness (or Lucas, if Ness is replaced)
Pit

Locked:

Pokémon Trainer
Ike
Meta Knight
Solid Snake

So if I'm correct, that means that there's at least one more unlocked character than in the last game. If Ice Climbers remain, and they have the same number of characters added as unlocked as they did in Melee (four), that means that we'd have two more default characters.

But I'm just rambling.

Pokemon Trainer, Ike, and Meta Knight are starters. It's been talked about all kinds already but they aren't going to reveal any hidden characters on the site until after the game's release. Snake and the other 3rd party characters are going to be locked for sure, though, that's been confirmed by the man himself.

Zeed

Banned
WordAssassin said:
Pokemon Trainer, Ike, and Meta Knight are starters. It's been talked about all kinds already but they aren't going to reveal any hidden characters on the site until after the game's release.
We don't know that for sure. That's just an assumption based on the fact that they did it that way with Melee.

True, but I cannot imagine, after all the exposure he's gotten, Meta Knight being a hidden character. They only revealed Snake because of the monumental announcement of 3rd party characters that came with him, but notice that we have seen NOTHING of him since that?

Zeed

Banned
WordAssassin said:
but notice that we have seen NOTHING of him since that?
He featured quite prominently in the Nintendo World trailer.

Also I've been looking back at an old Sakurai interview. It's interesting reading, gives us a hint at what to expect from Brawl. I think what he says about the fusing of graphics, sound, design, and balance is especially relevant to the Subspace Emissary.

Q: You spoke last year at the Game Developers Conference about how elements such as characters, storyline, and a fully realised world provide a richer experience, and clearly that played a role in Meteos’ development. Could you explain how these elements came together for Meteos?

A: I believe graphics, sound, game design and game balance should all come together as one, without jeopardising each other’s theme. For example, for the meteor called Layer Zero, I decided to use the electron as the main theme. So the residents of this meteor and background art became techno-themed. The sound followed the techno and became Eurobeat. Now, having the soundtrack as Eurobeat means the meteor must have an accelerated game speed. Once all the elements are there, it goes back to the start and round and round... until it becomes the perfect unison.

Q: It’s said that the Meteos prototype took only one designer and one programmer three days to put together – is that correct?

A: You’re close, but a little bit off! It was created by one designer, one graphic artist and one programmer, and took three days. Design documents were written by myself alone and took me three days to finish. When I designed Meteos, we didn't know it would be released on the DS platform. That was decided after we saw the hardware at E3, in May 2004. And at that stage, we didn't have a dev kit or any real hardware information.

Q: How do you feel about the end result of Meteos? Are there aspects you didn’t have time for that you would have liked to include?

A: There are tons of elements cut from the final version, and I am still not satisfied with the quality of the game. However, I am very happy to see users are enjoying it!
He's a freaking perfectionist.

Firestorm

Frillen said:
Has a Neo GAF thread ever been viewed by over 1 Million people?

Smash Bros. Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread - 852,806
(Off-Topic Forum) Post new pics! DO IT! Now!! - 818,180
Official Forza Motorsport 2 thread - 639,176
Ultimate Awesome Wii Virtual Console Discussion - 601,305
The Halo 3 Beta Thread - 596,278

That's the Top 5.

By Replies:
The Halo 3 Beta Thread - 18,783
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Thread - 15,490
Smash Bros. Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread - 13,862
Ultimate Awesome Wii Virtual Console Discussion - 12,534
Official Forza Motorsport 2 thread - 12,268

Actually, there are a couple threads in Off-Topic that have more replies. Crazy sports fans.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Firestorm said:

That's the Top 5.

By Replies:

Actually, there are a couple threads in Off-Topic that have more replies. Crazy sports fans.
This thread will be top by Dec 3.

Frillen

Firestorm said:

That's the Top 5.

By Replies:

Hmm, so this thread will have zero problems beating The Halo 3 Beta Thread. Hence, this thread has potential to get over 25000 posts.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
So back on the topic of how many characters to expect in the final roster...

I think that you're looking at a minimum of 32ish no matter what. 35 or so doesn't seem that unrealistic. 40 is probably pushing it, but still not out of the realm of possibility. (Anything over that probably won't happen.)

Here is what I am basing my numbers on... What has been revealed so far + (what I believe to be) Very Likely candidates -- The MINIMUM final roster COULD PROBABLY look like this:

WARNING: SPECULATION AHEAD. Don't quote anything on this list and complain that it's not yet confirmed, I'm aware!
---------------
Veteran Starters: (13 total, 2 unconfirmed)

Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Fox, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Peach, Captain Falcon*, Ice Climbers*

Newcomer Starters: (7 total, 2 unconfirmed)

Pit, Wario, (Zero Suit Samus), Ike, Pokémon Traininer, Lucas*, Meta-Knight, Tom Nook*

20 STARTERS TOTAL. Seems like a nice realistic number, eh?

Veteran Unlockables: (5 total, 4 unconfirmed)

Jigglypuff*, Luigi*, Falco*, Ganondorf, Marth*

Newcomer Unlockables: (7 total, 6 unconfirmed)

Snake, King Dedede*, Diddy Kong*, Krystal or Other Female Char*, Balloon Fighter or R.O.B.*, Third Party Character 2 (Megamanz?!)*, Third Party Character 3 (Sonic LOL!?)*

12 UNLOCKABLES. Seems like we could realistically see a few more than this, right?

* - Unconfirmed speculated character
--------------

Notes:

I didn't count ZSS in my numbers since (like Sheik) she probably won't have a portrait on the character select screen.

I find Tom Nook and Lucas to be very likely, due to the appearance of the Animal Crossing and Earthbound logos on the Dojo. If you want, however, replace them with any other char from the same series (Nook with AC Boy or Lucas with Ness)... I'm more interested in speculating the NUMBER of fighters in the final roster in this post, rather than the specific characters.

What do you think? A lot of this is assumption but I'd like to believe it's educated assumption.

Edit: Again, I'm presenting this because it seems likely as the MINIMUM amount of characters we could see after taking into account what I believe to be are very-likely candidates. I'm hoping (and guessing) there will be a few more. (And if we continue to get one character per week on the dojo (and assuming the dojo wont show unlockables), this number will probably get even higher.)

Even if we got 20 new characters, that wouldn't be a stretch and it'd be a nice number.

Possible number of updates before the game launches: 83
Estimated updates left for the current 16 characters (special moves, final smash): 20
Number of updates needed if you add 20 characters: 60
Updates left for stages, music, items etc. : 3

Does not compute

Zeed

Banned
Zerodoppler said:
Estimated updates left for the current 16 characters (special moves, final smash): 20

Does not compute
This is assuming that Sakurai doesn't do any more multiple updates, which he has done in the past, and will probably do increasingly often as we near launch.

Zeed said:
This is assuming that Sakurai doesn't do any more multiple updates, which he has done in the past, and will probably do increasingly often as we near launch.

Bingo. And it also assumes that all new characters will be shown pre-launch, rather than have their profile pages unlocked after the game ships.

IMO, we're very unlikely to see all characters/stages/items/music/etc. before the game launches unless updates become a LOT more frequent. Can anyone recall how long after SSBM launched the site still updated?

Linkhero1

Zerodoppler said:

Does not compute
If there is a Smash Event, like Matt said a while back, coming then I think we'll see some new characters/stages/music ect. so I'm not worried about the site updates.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Halycon said:
This thread will be top by Dec 3.

I think the amount of traffic will increase in this thread by double what it is now after the game comes out.

After all, what is more exciting than talking about a game before release? Talking about it after it comes out.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hcoregamer00 said:
I think the amount of traffic will increase in this thread by double what it is now after the game comes out.

After all, what is more exciting than talking about a game before release? Talking about it after it comes out.

An official thread will probably be made for that. The mods probably won't let it stay here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom