• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mgs4 scans - bosses shown

Darkpen said:
there's this guy who's been posting in a MGS thread at the 1up forums, and I believe what he has to say is worth reading, if just to clarify some thoughts of what's been said.

That second guy made some good points but the first dude can't get past the idea of the bosses all being mindless killing machines not even capable of independent thought. I don't buy it, why create four characters suffering from PTSD and willing to subject their bodies to (probably) brutal procedures and then never bother to give them any emotional depth.

Plus he's got a fairly annoying way of expressing himself, rather than just saying something he seems to be making a conscious effort to wrap it up in psuedo-intellectual jargon. No offence to the guy, but I just couldn't read it without rolling my eyes. I'm sure he used the phrase "mental construct".

Where are the high res pictures of the 4 bosses together I keep see all over the place?

without any "beauty and beast" text all over the place.

Darkpen

Banned
Laurent said:
And here's the correct way to prounounce her name, at 00:45...

Were those pictures released by Konami? Are those hoties the 4 different bosses of the game, or do you consider them to be side characters?
They're the 4 different bosses, and I assume their faces will make an appearance in the game at some point as well, since the Beauty and Beast featurette indicates as much:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/14192
Note: this is actually a little different than the GT one, as it has Kojima narrating in english.

Darkpen

Banned
freethought said:
That second guy made some good points but the first dude can't get past the idea of the bosses all being mindless killing machines not even capable of independent thought. I don't buy it, why create four characters suffering from PTSD and willing to subject their bodies to (probably) brutal procedures and then never bother to give them any emotional depth.

Plus he's got a fairly annoying way of expressing himself, rather than just saying something he seems to be making a conscious effort to wrap it up in psuedo-intellectual jargon. No offence to the guy, but I just couldn't read it without rolling my eyes. I'm sure he used the phrase "mental construct".
Yeah, the second guy has a lot of good things to say as well:

I think the word cliche is cliche.
If people choose to look through their narrow scope then ALL characters are cliche. Already these characters seem more unique than copies. I mean think about it. What makes Master Chief not cliche? How about Snake? How about Kratos? Or Dante?
Every character can be considered cliche, but its how they are properly portrayed, and scripted. Not only that but their interactions with other charcters and of course the environment.
Anybody with a closed mind can easily come in and say "Hehe that's Dr. Octopus and some Megaman bitches" which is what some of the halfbrained idiots are saying. Yet if it was a man in a soldier outfit with huge ass biceps and two huge machine guns on each arm many people would say "Cool man!" not knowing sh*t about him even if he's the most hollow person you've ever seen.

Face it most people (Americans) are into run and gun and "cool" looking sh*t w/o having to think much. You wonder why FPS sell so well here?

I think the first guy is just a big fan of Ghost in the Shell and is really into the psychological depth of GitS and MGS2.

Darkpen

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Fun fact: Beauty And The Beast was a movie made in 1946 written by Jean Cocteau. In 1950, he wrote the screenplay for a movie titled Les Enfants Terribles

Coincidence? I think not.
Huh.... wow.

Darkpen said:
Yeah, the second guy has a lot of good things to say as well:

Yeah, he makes some good points. The whole idea of the bosses representing the effects of war outside of the battlefield sounds interesting to say the least. For some reason all I can think of is Africa, the Rwandan genocide and the horror stories you hear about the brutal rapes and kidnappings. MGS4 is going to be freaking spectacular.

I'm hoping Crying Wolf's story involves the loss of a child, the emotion and the animal make sense in that capacity, a wolf and her cubs and all that. I don't know why but I just think that Crying Wolf is going to be the boss to have a change of heart, be healed in some way only to die in tragic circumstances. Pure speculation obviously, but it would be cool.

Darkpen said:
I think the first guy is just a big fan of Ghost in the Shell and is really into the psychological depth of GitS and MGS2.

Yeah, that much was obvious. I'm really wasn't trying to pick on him, it was just kind of a pain to read his posts.

Darkpen said:
Its not like he directs all of the cutscenes for all of his games either, man. I recall Kojima saying that a lot of the scripting and cutscenes are done by Murata as well.

If you didn't like the game because it was broken due to the first-person view and the fact that the stinger missile's auto-locking was total trash and the first person view's analog stick sensitivity was trash, then I understand. If it's something else that's bothering you, then care to explain?

Right, I just prefer the cutscene direction of the Kojima-directed installments. There's something about the atmosphere and colors and camerawork that is just so much better than what is presented in Twin Snakes. A good example is the
Sniper Wolf
death scene. In the original, the colors are very dark and bleak, and the music is insanely good and memorable, and it really accented the emptiness and darkness of an Alaskan forest at night. It felt extremely lonely and desolate. In Twin Snakes, the music was changed and not very good, all the wolves came out and howled... it just wasn't nearly as subtle and it took away from the very focused and beautiful atmosphere of the original cutscene. The original sequence was beautiful and haunting, and nothing about the Twin Snakes version stood out whatsoever.

This is one aspect that I like most about the MGS franchise and I just don't think Twin Snakes did it justice. They did a decent job with the visual upgrade and the new gameplay mechanics but for me, it's easy to be distraught over some things I found that helped contribute to why I loved the first MGS and what made me fall in love with the series to begin with. There's so much more to MGS than just gameplay (I know, it's a videogame but sometimes you can like a videogame for more than just the gameplay aspects). For instance, Silent Hill. Are they fun to play? Not particularly, but the story, characters, atmosphere, and so on keeps you going. And it's the same with MGS -- though the gameplay is much better, there are many other aspects to the enjoyment of the series and I didn't think Twin Snakes got any of it right beyond the gameplay mechanics.

Aalyx

"Your code name for this mission will be Explosive Puffin"

Can't argue with that :lol

BTW, the girls are hot, I hope the suits come off in-game :D

Darkpen

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Right, I just prefer the cutscene direction of the Kojima-directed installments. There's something about the atmosphere and colors and camerawork that is just so much better than what is presented in Twin Snakes. A good example is the
Sniper Wolf
death scene. In the original, the colors are very dark and bleak, and the music is insanely good and memorable, and it really accented the emptiness and darkness of an Alaskan forest at night. It felt extremely lonely and desolate. In Twin Snakes, the music was changed and not very good, all the wolves came out and howled... it just wasn't nearly as subtle and it took away from the very focused and beautiful atmosphere of the original cutscene. The original sequence was beautiful and haunting, and nothing about the Twin Snakes version stood out whatsoever.

This is one aspect that I like most about the MGS franchise and I just don't think Twin Snakes did it justice. They did a decent job with the visual upgrade and the new gameplay mechanics but for me, it's easy to be distraught over some things I found that helped contribute to why I loved the first MGS and what made me fall in love with the series to begin with. There's so much more to MGS than just gameplay (I know, it's a videogame but sometimes you can like a videogame for more than just the gameplay aspects). For instance, Silent Hill. Are they fun to play? Not particularly, but the story, characters, atmosphere, and so on keeps you going. And it's the same with MGS -- though the gameplay is much better, there are many other aspects to the enjoyment of the series and I didn't think Twin Snakes got any of it right beyond the gameplay mechanics.
Yeah, I admit,
Sniper Wolf's
death song is one of my most favorite songs out of the soundtrack, and it was actually one of the tracks I put in a mix cd I used to listen to a lot. I was really disappointed by TTS's soundtrack (most notably, Gray Fox's final speech where you watch from the Stinger's POV).

If anything, though, Metal Gear Solid did a lot of things right the first time around, but I think there's also a lot of nostalgia that makes people give it more credit than it really deserves. I think both have certain superior aspects over the other, but in the end, when all is said and done, I still just show the Twin Snakes.

:lol I just realised who Beauty and the Beast remind me of; the freaking Knight Sabers! Check out Screaming Mantis' arms.

Another point is the fact that they all seem to be wearing helmets. Maybe not Crying Wolf but the rest all seem to be sporting headgear.

Darkpen

Banned
Blunty said:
"Infrared Grizzly", sweeet.
Infrared seems to be coming up a lot.

If you enter Hamlet Hamlet or Luke Smith, you get Infrared, and I've seen a few Infrared already in this thread as well.

Zenith

Banned
Darkpen said:
there's this guy who's been posting in a MGS thread at the 1up forums, and I believe what he has to say is worth reading, if just to clarify some thoughts of what's been said.

Note: The first two are separate posts, of the poster replying to two different people, while the third is someone replying to this poster.

This was a reply to the above post by someone else:

I hope that adds to the conversation.

What a load of bollocks. As bad as that MGS2 analysis someone linked a while back.

These boss designs are great. They're very unique and fresh compared to most boss designs. I expect some huge variety in the boss battles. Hopefully they'll have SOTC style battles.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
god damn you internet. I felt so smart because I knew some shit about Jean Cocteau... why do you make me fell this feels? :(

Following the presentation of the Beauty and the Beast trailer, Kojima engaged a short Q&A session that provided little hard information but a number of laughs from the crowd. When asked whether the recently unveiled Metal Gear Online would be included in MGS4 or released as a separate SKU (or retail item), Kojima and other Konami reps indicated that at least some aspect of MGO's gameplay would appear as an online mode in MGS4. However, the final plans for the eventual release of Metal Gear Online have yet to be decided. He also confirmed that boss characters from some past Metal Gear games will appear as playable characters in MGO.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6177421.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

The Boss must be playable.

Rufus

Brobzoid said:
god damn you internet. I felt so smart because I knew some shit about Jean Cocteau... why do you make me fell this feels? :(
Because we are the Internetz and resistance is futile?

Dave1988

Here's what I got when I typed in Doombringer Doombringer: "Your code name for this mission will be Bubblicious Echidna"

:lol

Just for the sake of it. This is how I think the lady fit in the wolf :

wolf.PNG

Just watched the GC trailer on PSN. They all look so good in HD. I didn't realize before but Raven cuts four guys in half, not just one. I loved the way the camera pans back at the end and you're reminded so strongly of the corridor leading to Otacons lab as you survey the devastation.

Since Naomi seems to be working for Liquid, and she worked on the original cyborg ninja program, maybe she helped to create the Beasts. They certainly seem to share a legacy with both the Cyborg Ninja's and the various Metal Gear programs.

Me_Marcadet said:
Just for the sake of it. This is how I think the lady fit in the wolf :

wolf.PNG

I'm not sure, but I think the woman you've outlined is like 8ft tall, or she has really short limbs in relation to her body.

Top Bottom