• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mgs4 scans - bosses shown

jett

D-Member
Why do people keep going on about soldiers getting sliced and shit? Nobody gets mutilated or torn in half in the trailer.

That metal gear codename generator site sucks.

Informer Flounder. :|

Kenobi

brandonh83 said:
Nah, Kojima only works with quality.

Like it or not, Kojima authorized all the cutscenes in Twin Snakes and did oversee the project. I dont understand why Twin Snakes gets so much ridiculous comments. Why not make fun of Snakes Revenge? You know, the one Kojima had absolutely NOTHING to do with?

I am liking this theory about the new baddies being a mix of old and new. Bring it on!

BigBoss

jett said:
Why do people keep going on about soldiers getting sliced and shit? Nobody gets mutilated or torn in half in the trailer.

When Raging Raven makes her appearance she slices some arab dudes in half.

Scarlett Chorvat
mgs409.jpg

Mieko Rye
mgs408.jpg

Lyndall Jarvis
mgs407.jpg

Yumi Kikuchi
mgs410.jpg

http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070824/mgs4.htm

Kenobi said:
Like it or not, Kojima authorized all the cutscenes in Twin Snakes and did oversee the project. I dont understand why Twin Snakes gets so much ridiculous comments. Why not make fun of Snakes Revenge? You know, the one Kojima had absolutely NOTHING to do with?

I am liking this theory about the new baddies being a mix of old and new. Bring it on!
Because people tend to recomend Twin Snakes over MGS simply because of graphical upgrade.
But I better stop before this turns into another shitfest.

Kenobi

Prime crotch said:
Because people tend to recomend Twin Snakes over MGS simply because of graphical upgrade.
But I better stop before this turns into another shitfest.

No it's fine. I see your point, but I do the same. When someone asks me which to play, I just lend them my copy of the original first, and then Twin Snakes...but to act like Kojima had nothing to do with Twin Snakes is ridiculous...that's all.

jett

D-Member
BigBoss said:
When Raging Raven makes her appearance she slices some arab dudes in half.

Oh shits that happened so fast I didn't notice. Awesome. These bosses look totally impossible for Snake to handle. :p

Darkpen

Banned
there's this guy who's been posting in a MGS thread at the 1up forums, and I believe what he has to say is worth reading, if just to clarify some thoughts of what's been said.

Note: The first two are separate posts, of the poster replying to two different people, while the third is someone replying to this poster.

The Beauty and the Beast unit seem to be a physical manifestation of the mental construct of war. It's not so much forced empathy, but forced re-evaluation. They represent the bitter despair of humanity in a ghastly shell almost.

Where as the Cobra Unit had a choice, these four women do not in most respects (supposedly). By extension they seem to be tools to grow the darkness that humanity, the Patriots, Liquid, etc. represent.

If you want you can consider Snake a continued theme. Old Snake being like the End.

While I'll give you Raging Raven, whom seems to be nothing more then a soldier further along insanities long path then the Fury, the rest seem dandy. By the way, the puppets that Screaming Mantis has are actually mock ups of Sorrow and Psycho.
Hmmm, I'm actually on the opposite end. I'm enjoying Metal Gear more as Cyber Punk themes become heavily integrated into the series. MPO, MG, MG2, and MGS3 are about as real as this series will get.

Seeing as this Beauty and the Beast unit have lost the ability to make conscious ethical and moral choices, substituting the idea of humanity to embrace the anarchy of war, I doubt these characters will have much personality beyond the extreme manifestation of a singular emotion up until the end. Interesting that Kojima went with a full female group though.

Though I can see where you're coming from, and I agree on the wait and see approach. However being of the few that seems to like MGS2 I must say that anything after Arsenal Gear and memes, along with theories revolving around the control of input and absorbed data influencing the minority of society eventually spreading out and evolving it how the Patriots see fit, a psychotic female Metal Gear Exoskeleton post traumatic shell shocked quad squad of soldiers is welcomed.

This was a reply to the above post by someone else:
Agreed.

At first I was a little put off but then I started reading some of the reasoning and I saw the real video with the sound and voice over narrator.

Obviously the back story for these characters will be told and be deep. The big welcoming difference between these and former bosses is that these women are victims of war and are basically like souls lost to war. The fact that they are female is genius because it invokes way more emotion than if it was male. These emotion run along the full spectrum and in fact my friend said the fact that Screaming Mantis is a woman makes her that much scarier and I agree.

Controversially women are suppose to be docile and nurturing and while in games we have seen many women protagonist and some villains, these women hang in the boarder and can invoke deeper thoughts and emotion. Many women game characters are still very artificial, hollow and superficial. Women and children are usually some of the biggest victims in war especially off camera where they are constantly victims to "collateral damage", rape, murder, abuse and the feelings of losing their men (sons, brother, fathers etc.) to war. Women were always on the sidelines to man's wars and yet they arguably suffer the most. This is why this intrigues me. To personify those emotions on the battlefield is eerie in on it self especially after hearing the sound effects. Hearing Crying Wolf actually crying can bring chills down someone's back especially while she's still killing or you're in the middle of a shoot out and you hear what you think is a crying child or woman. And the way Laughing Octopus says "Laugh at me!" "Isn't it funny?!", again puts her in the light as being a victim. They're saying this is what years of man's war has created, this is the ultimate manifestation of conflict and these are the ultimate victims of strife it’s just that this time they actually can be heard.

"What turns us into beast?"

"War, war turns us into beast"

Forget CoD, Battlefield, Halo, or MoH. In my opinion this maybe the ultimate "war" game.

I hope that adds to the conversation.

Ceb said:
True about the camo. Still...

And you're right, his arms weren't extendable. He could just bend them around his joints. Then again, I guess the same thing's true about Octopus. I definitely don't see the Fatman resemblance.

Laughing Octopus

Fatman was a laughing maniac...and his motto/catch phrase was "Laugh and Grow Fat."

I was relating it to the name Laughing Octopus not her physical appearance.

Darkpen

Banned
Kenobi said:
No it's fine. I see your point, but I do the same. When someone asks me which to play, I just lend them my copy of the original first, and then Twin Snakes...but to act like Kojima had nothing to do with Twin Snakes is ridiculous...that's all.
I tend to just show Twin Snakes if all they're going to do is watch the cutscenes, but I favor the original for how tight and responsive the controls are, and for the game mechanics.

As someone who's watched the Twin Snakes cutscenes (as in their entireties) about... oh, I don't know... maybe 10 times(?), and then playing through the original again, I have to say that Twin Snakes is a lot better than the original for the re-translation, voice acting, and cutscenes over the original, while the original holds a lot of that indy-movie blockbuster hit vibe, with a lot of love felt in the controls and how polished the gameplay is. Its the best PS1 game, hands down, but Twin Snakes feels a little better when it comes to cutscenes.

What's up with this obnoxious watermarking standard? Specifically watermarking the characters. Is it even legal to do this, considering property rights and such?

Something that'll play into the use of real people for modeling

Then, Kojima brought out his first surprise for the day. He revealed that Metal Gear Solid 4 will feature real people. That is, the game will have 3D models created from real people through 3D capturing. The first example provided was of the MC, whose likeness will appear in the game. Kojima showed the process of converting the MC's face into 3D data, and the resulting model. This model looked close to the real MC, and Kojima stressed that there was a lot of hand-work to be done before it could be considered final. Kojima wouldn't go so far as to reveal why the game will use real people. Regarding the MC, Kojima said that she's just one member of a group. He also said she'd be Japan's representative in that group.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734456p2.html

Yumi Kikuchi - Japan
Scarlett Chorvat - Slovakia
Lyndall Jarvis - South Africa
Mieko Rye - ?

RyuHayate

Reilly said:
I'm confused, who are those girls?

They're models that Kojima selected to display the inner beauty of those Metal Gears.

I don't know if they're being rendered in the game, but that's the basic gist of it.

Darkpen

Banned
dragon_feces said:
Laughing Octopus

Fatman was a laughing maniac...and his motto/catch phrase was "Laugh and Grow Fat."

I was relating it to the name Laughing Octopus not her physical appearance.
I don't remember where I read it, but wasn't that line, "Laugh and grow fat" some sort of historical reference?

Also, I think everyone should start calling Laughing Octopus and Crying Wolf "Rofl Octopus" and "Emo Wolf"

because... I think its funny in a really juvenile way

Darkpen

Banned
Laurent said:
Great; Thanks... I would have found out about it probably way later...

He said Jayde; it's not Jayde, it's JADE... "JA DUH"
What are you talking about, its Jade, Jay-d(uh)

The heck's "Jah-duh" D:

Kenobi said:

I know. Still, he didn't direct it. And I thought it was a thoroughly terrible game for many, many reasons.

I came here looking for the big render of the four bosses together. But nothing!

Anyone found those yet in a decent resolution (not the ign ones, they ruined by "beauty and the beast unit" font all over the image)

Grenadier Eagle signing off.

that Lyndall Jarvis looks like somebody I met in SA...she was a model too...very fine. But maybe that is the popular look in SA these days...if she is from Durban it might be

Laurent

Darkpen said:
What are you talking about, its Jade, Jay-d(uh)

The heck's "Jah-duh" D:
She's french canadian, you don't pronnounce this name the same way in french, sorry... He said Patrice right, he didn't say Pat Rice... :lol

Darkpen

Banned
Laurent said:
She's french canadian, you don't pronnounce this name the same way in french, sorry... He said Patrice right, he didn't say Pat Rice... :lol
Everyone calls her Jade by the english pronunciation, why change it now D:

Chopper Echidna reporting for duty.

I somehow had a mental image of Knuckles riding a motorcycle pop into my head when I saw that.

EGM92

"Your code name for this mission will be Jockstrap Asp"
:/

or with my full name

"Your code name for this mission will be Jockstrap Manatee"

Darkpen

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I know. Still, he didn't direct it. And I thought it was a thoroughly terrible game for many, many reasons.
Its not like he directs all of the cutscenes for all of his games either, man. I recall Kojima saying that a lot of the scripting and cutscenes are done by Murata as well.

If you didn't like the game because it was broken due to the first-person view and the fact that the stinger missile's auto-locking was total trash and the first person view's analog stick sensitivity was trash, then I understand. If it's something else that's bothering you, then care to explain?

Fun fact: Beauty And The Beast was a movie made in 1946 written by Jean Cocteau. In 1950, he wrote the screenplay for a movie titled Les Enfants Terribles

Coincidence? I think not.

Laurent

Darkpen said:
why would that be pronounced low rent? It looks like its pronounced Law-rent D:
You shouldn't pronounce the T. You never pronounce a T at the end of a french word, except when the word that follows it starts with a vowel (you do the liaison, or merge), but you don't do that with proper names... You don't pronounce the N neither. It's... complicated! Also, AU != AW, but O... Take autumn for instance...

EDIT: There... A boring presentation of Yves Saint-Laurent's 1962 collection. The guy says my name correctly after the end of the first sentence.

Danielsan

Darkpen said:
why would that be pronounced low rent? It looks like its pronounced Law-rent D:
It's probably pronounced Lou-(ou as in ouch)rent.

Ooh and Mieko Rye looks like a man in that picture, the other ones are mighty fine though.

Red Blaster said:
Fun fact: Beauty And The Beast was a movie made in 1946 written by Jean Cocteau. In 1950, he wrote the screenplay for a movie titled Les Enfants Terribles

Subtlety thy name is not Kojima

Red Blaster said:

Not a coincidence since Kojima is a big fan of classic movies. Alot of movie reference in MGS3, espacially during codec (and also in the manual).

Darkpen

Banned
Laurent said:
You shouldn't pronounce the T. You never pronounce a T at the end of a french word, except when the word that follows it starts with a vowel (you do the liaison, or merge), but you don't do that with proper names... You don't pronounce the N neither. It's... complicated! Also, AU != AW, but O... Take autumn for instance...

EDIT: There... A boring presentation of Yves Saint-Laurent's 1962 collection. The guy says my name correctly after the end of the first sentence.
huh...

Danielsan said:
It's probably pronounced Lou-(ou as in ouch)rent.

Ooh and Mieko Rye looks like a man in that picture, the other ones are mighty fine though.
BLAH, I wish I took french class

Top Bottom