• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Xbox 360 controller vs. Xbox One controller

see5harp

The play and charge kit was absolute trash on the X360, the thing would barely hold a charge after a few months. Jury's out on the Xbox One's play and charge kit, but based on the mould of the battery pack it looks like they're just stuffing 2 rechargeable AA's into a case again. Who knows what the quality of those batteries will be.

It would be cool if you could recharge eneloops by plugging in the controller to the console. Of course they won't do that as they want people to buy the P&C kits.

The Play and charge kit is now Li-On as far as I know, so no, it should be a huge upgrade.

goldenpp72

Depends on the person. If you played fighting games on the pad(which very few people do thank god) the RB/LB are terrible. Everything else, it's alright but they're still not that comfortable tbh.

Most people play fighters on a pad actually, unless you mean 'real players' in that condescending way, but when fighters sell 2-3 million units, very few in the overall buy fighter sticks :p

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They're fine for auxiliary tasks like switching grenade types or something, but otherwise I'd prefer normal buttons. Very minor complaint anyways.

they are fairly close to SNES, just wish they were a little more low profile but ehhhh

they are very functional for fighters from what i've used (as I tend to favour HK)

Banned
Coming to my PC in 2014!

Seriously, the 3 complaints I had with the 360 controller are all fixed it seems.

D-pad

Face buttons poked out too much (I prefer playstation or nintendo face buttons, more flat and comfortable for me)

Removal of the battery pack. I don't know about you guys, but the battery pack always gave me problems with random disconnections when playing (especially with vibration). Turns out the metal prong doesn't always make contact with the controller. I played wired now to avoid this.

Troll

Banned
After playing with it at E3 I'm definitely in love with it.

I actually can't believe MS didn't use a proprietary cable to either connect to PC or go in "Wired mode" and that that mode even exists. That's going to be a big deal at LANs and tournaments.

After playing with it at Comic-Con, I'm in love with it, too.

I seriously can't wait to use it all the time. It's going to be my favorite part about next gen.

Arklite

Removal of the battery pack. I don't know about you guys, but the battery pack always gave me problems with random disconnections when playing (especially with vibration). Turns out the metal prong doesn't always make contact with the controller. I played wired now to avoid this.

I hated that thing for ergonomic reasons. I was never a fan of the wireless 360 pads due to that giant bulge on the bottom. The wired 360 PC pad is a much better example, and it seems the One pad has followed suit.

Coming to my PC in 2014!

Seriously, the 3 complaints I had with the 360 controller are all fixed it seems.

D-pad

Face buttons poked out too much (I prefer playstation or nintendo face buttons, more flat and comfortable for me)

Rather wait for the Valve controller.

ec0ec0

If this is that guys job, he is bad, bad at it... actually, i often think that about others in gaming. He said that the position of the buttons (x,y,a,b) was the same and, the first thing that i thought about the controller after seeing it was " the buttons are closer, CLOSER!!! thank god, that was horrible before". I saw that without having the controller on my hands, like he does. And probably many people here saw that too. I still dont know why the position of the face buttons was soooooo bad on the 360...

MercuryLS

Banned
I've been reading through hands-on impressions of both controllers lately and I keep seeing stuff like this:

http://gengame.net/2013/06/next-gen-face-off-dualshock-4-vs-xbox-one-controller/

If there’s any complaint I’ve got (aside from just not preferring the Xbox design), it’s that the closeness of the bumpers and triggers, as well as the overall feel of the bumpers, doesn’t seem like good design. I already wasn’t really a fan of the bumpers on previous Xbox controllers, either, but the reduced profile and lack of easy differentiation between the two on a tactile level was a gigantic turn off with the One controller.

I hope it's not as bad as people have made it out to seem because I'd like to use this controller on PC.

nib95

Banned
I've been reading through hands-on impressions of both controllers lately and I keep seeing stuff like this:

http://gengame.net/2013/06/next-gen-face-off-dualshock-4-vs-xbox-one-controller/

I hope it's not as bad as people have made it out to seem because I'd like to use this controller on PC.

Patrick Klepek and a few other journo's had similar complaints. Widening the triggers, and having them sit more flush with the ergonomics of the controller itself probably wasn't the best idea. Great for actual ergonomics, probably not so much for actual functionality. We shall see.

Duxxy3

They're fine for auxiliary tasks like switching grenade types or something, but otherwise I'd prefer normal buttons. Very minor complaint anyways.

My biggest complaint with LB/RB is when they are used as modifier buttons like in the devil may cry games, or in darksiders.

eek5

I didn't like them not including batteries with the controller but after seeing how the AA's sit inside the little compartment I'm not too annoyed about it. I was using eneloops this gen and didn't have a single issue with it.

Oemenia

Banned
What's up with batteries, can you only use AAs now? Also now that the Back button is used for OS functions, does that mean games have one less button? If so that sucks bad since everyone else is looking to increase interactivity with the controller.

malfcn

Why do they make a big deal about screws and them being uncomfortable. I have never once been bothered by them..I have never even felt them.

FyreWulff

Although the sticks grip well, it'd be nice if they made the tops of them as big as the 360 controller again.

They're kind of small on the Bonetroller.

Miles X

Not trolling. But quite a few people who have used both controllers prefer the PS4 controller.

People that prefered dualshock in the first place? The form factors are still roughly the same, I don't see how/why the PS4 controller would suddenly become top dog.

nib95

Banned
People that prefered dualshock in the first place? The form factors are still roughly the same, I don't see how/why the PS4 controller would suddenly become top dog.

More people who preferred the 360 pad if anything. I think the DS4s main advantages will be better triggers and shoulder buttons (irrespective of impulse), a better d-pad, lighter weight and the touch pad. I think in most other respects they're going to be pretty even.

Alx

Why do they make a big deal about screws and them being uncomfortable. I have never once been bothered by them..I have never even felt them.

Neither have I. But for a device where people can nitpick about any element, from button placement to spring rigidity, stick texture or whether there should be letters or symbols on the buttons, I suppose that each detail counts.

spekkeh

Banned
This looks like it will definitively top the shared first place of xbox 360 and gamecube as my favorite controller of all time.

Too bad Microsoft lost me as a game customer with their 360 and One policies, so I won't actually be using it.

spisho

Neo Member
Rb and Lb were always fine.
They were? The pad is designed so your fingers naturally sit over the triggers. Moving from that position to the bumpers requires loosening your grip or an uncomfortable finger rotation that just isn't tenable.

I never got how people could palm grip a 360 pad. It's just too small to be held comfortably that way without your thumbs overshooting the analogue sticks or making the bumpers out of place. I hold my 360 pad the same way I hold a DS3 because it's useless otherwise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope Sony really starts opening the floodgates on info like this after Gamescom. MS are doing really well getting those column inches surrounding Xbox one recently.

mocoworm

Looks $100m better. Minor improvements but so so sweet. Especially like the fact that he says it feels more weighty and solid.

Bit of a useless video, since it sounds like they haven't actually played any games with the controller, but it sure seems like it feels nice. The problem with the 360's D-pad for me wasn't anything to do with the shape, it was that it would frequently register the opposite direction I pressed when I was trying to switch weapons with it. I do wish they'd replace the bumpers with regular buttons, like L1 and R1 on a Dual Shock, but other than that it looks great.

spisho

Neo Member
Bit of a useless video, since it sounds like they haven't actually played any games with the controller, but it sure seems like it feels nice. The problem with the 360's D-pad for me wasn't anything to do with the shape, it was that it would frequently register the opposite direction I pressed when I was trying to switch weapons with it. I do wish they'd replace the bumpers with regular buttons, like L1 and R1 on a Dual Shock, but other than that it looks great.
That had to do with how raised and mushy the dpad was. Recessed and clickier should hopefully translate to a dpad that actually registers what direction you want to push.

Totally agree on making the bumpers more like the dualshock's shoulder buttons. They work so well I don't see why MS can't just straight up copy them. There's seriously no shame in it whatsoever.

rdrr gnr

I've always thought the 360 controller was overrated -- the DS3's shortcomings are partially responsible for that. The new controller seems to have addressed the four big issues for me: uncomfortable face buttons that stick, uneven weight across the controller, external battery pack, and the materials surrounding the outer edge of the sticks. I'm not sure how the DS4 would match functionally, but there is no doubt that this is a much more elegant looking controller.

I've always thought the 360 controller was overrated -- the DS3's shortcomings are partially responsible for that. The new controller seems to have addressed the four big issues for me: uncomfortable face buttons that stick, uneven weight across the controller, external battery pack, and the materials surrounding the outer edge of the sticks. I'm not sure how the DS4 would match functionally, but there is no doubt that this is a much more elegant looking controller.

Well that's the thing, you can't compare it to something that doesn't exist. People (including me) have been saying that the 360 controller is the best out there because it is. Now that the Xbox One controller is coming out that is most likely no longer true. It has been true for 8 years though.. Heck the DS4 might be better too. It'll be interesting to compare them all when I eventually have both next-gen consoles.

Best controller ever?

But yeah having internal rechargable batteries like the PS3 would be better. You can play with it plugged in while the batteries are charging and play wirelessly when they're full. But looks like with this you can still play wired so it's not really that big of a difference.

EagleEyes

Really really fantastic video. In-depth.

Positives.

Improved d-pad.
Slightly taller and looser sticks.
No more screw rivets on any point of real contact.
Face buttons are slightly more flush.
Overall buttons are less clicky and clackety.
The battery compartment no longer protrudes out.
The power light is slightly more subtle (if you don't like being obviously indicated of low battery).
Improved grip around the analogue rims.
Improved rumble.

Negatives.

Triggers wider.
Triggers dampened and softer.
The power light is slightly more subtle (if you like being obviously indicated of low battery).
Still uses AA batteries.
Glossy upper section picks up prints.
You had to stretch really hard to find some negatives here didn't ya lol. You are entertaining to say the least but are also definitely returning to your console warrior mentality you had years ago on IGN. Thats both sad and weird that I actually remember your name from back then and the fact that you're still playing the superfan role.

velociraptor

I already have the 360 controller but I'll pick this up if it turns out to be the defacto PC control pad.

The face buttons, d-pad and bumper buttons are atrocious on the current 360 pad. Hopefully the new controller will improve on those.

chemicals

Don't you just hate when a thread is started with a link to a video and no synopsis of said video for those of us reading this shit at work. lol

R3TRODYCE

You had to stretch really hard to find some negatives here didn't ya lol. You are entertaining to say the least but are also definitely returning to your console warrior mentality you had years ago on IGN. Thats both sad and weird that I actually remember your name from back then and the fact that you're still playing the superfan role.

IGN! That's where I've seen Nib! He was the dude with the pill icon! Good times, good times.

Back on topic, In the video they had good a good choice of batteries in the controller; I wonder if the retail model will use those.

Don't you just hate when a thread is started with a link to a video and no synopsis of said video for those of us reading this shit at work. lol

Here you go, maybe this could be added to the OP:

D-pad: "genuinely feels fantastic" "lowered, very flush" "far more defined" "amazing click feel" "can slide thumb around it" "very defined where you are, there's no ambiguity to what part of the d-pad you're pressing" "very comfortable"

Weight: "slightly heavier, noticeably I suppose but not so much that you would complain" "slight hollowness to [360 controller], you can definitely tell there's space inside the pad, with the Xbox One controller you don't actually feel that, it feels very solid, the weight feels well balanced"

Battery: "battery pack has disappeared" "extra space on the back which makes things less crowded, it's far more comfortable"

Screw holes: "the Xbox One controller has none of that" "you actually do realise what a difference it makes"

Triggers: "dampened at the base so when you press it down there is no click sound to it" "greater sense of quality to it" "slight tweaks, definitely improvements" "haven't been able to test out the rumble just yet, I'm told it's spectacular, there's impulse triggers and that affects the entire pad, it's far more nuanced"

Shoulder buttons: "widened a little bit" "not much difference, slight bit more resistance to it, not too much"

Analogue sticks: "a little bit taller" "a little bit more pivot" "feel a little bit looser" "minor, minor tweak" "slightly less resistance" "slightly more control" "around the rim there is soft plastic" "definite grip around the sides" "when it comes to pressing in there is absolutely no difference"

Face buttons: "they're in the same position" "less protrusion" "works really well, slightly softer" "less rickety" "flatter, more flush, they're slightly more comfortable"

Micro USB port: "when you stick a USB wire into the controller it goes into wired mode, the radio shuts down and apparently it's a true wired mode connection"

Guide button light: "lights up a bit more subtley" "it doesn't stick out as much" "the light is far softer"

Summary: "if you think the Xbox 360 pad is the best out there, then you're looking at something which is now the best out there, the Xbox One controller is better than the Xbox 360 pad pretty much in every single way" "d-pad significantly better" "triggers much better" "tweaks here and there, it's far more comfortable" "if you do get an Xbox One, I think you're going to be very happy with the controller"

Top Bottom