• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
ohamsie said:
dojoupdate.jpg
Munchlax is so hilarious. It will be funny when he pops out and eats the final smash item. :lol

Also I hope this week we get a new pokemon each day so I can witness some GAFers explode! :lol

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm starting to think there's just way too much going on in this game now.

I mean, items eating items?

John Harker said:
I'm starting to think there's just way too much going on in this game now.

I mean, items eating items?
Yeah, I see what you are saying. But hopefully we can mitigate that with an item amount control mechanism.

CTLance

Munchlax, huh? Nice, I guess...
I really hope the items he devours force him to evolve. Wasn't the evolution of him a screen-clearing death-from-above pokemon in Melee? Snorlax was its name IIRC...

That'd be the ultimate humiliation: Tie between the players, the next KO decides the game. Heated battle, everybodys' damage is in the dangerous touch-me-and-I-fly-offscreen zone. Behold, a (healing/smash/decisive) item spawns! All players dart towards it in desperation. Only one stands back and throws a pokeball. First Munchlax eats the one, game-defining item that everybody wanted right in front of them, then he evolves and deathbombs them offscreen in one fluid motion. Awesome. And I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. It'd be stuff of comedy legends in a multiplayer game. I'd probably die laughing. And the one that threw the Pokeball would probably need some bandages. :lol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
G-Off said:
If he does that I will email Nintendo everyday with Rickroll.
I'm sure that Nintendo will release a patch for the game once you do so, and will send you a formally written letter of apology from Sakurai, who will personally hand deliver it.

After all, their customer service department will have to handle the one situation that Nintendo employees never dreamed of: receiving spam e-mails full of old internet jokes from angry fans.

Vitet

Scribble

I want it thrown on VEEEEHEEEEEENUUUUS!

I'm now looking forward to every type of update. Except the How to Play ones. We've gotten to the stage where any kind of update could reveal megaton info :D

Firestorm

Rindain said:
I just think that it's a bit unfair to the other big franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) that Pokemon is represented by a unique class of special item. It makes the game feel like it has a Pokemon bias.

Zelda and Metroid don't have 493 useable characters.

Dr.Hadji

Firestorm said:
Because they scare me =(

So true. Metroid II was my first scary game and all these years later they still get me. Speaking of Metroid I just realized that other day that most of the Metroid games released have come out after Melee.
Fusion, Zero Mission, Prime 1 - 3, and Hunters and Pinball if you want to count them. Thats 5 whole news games with new cannon to the universe. All perfect for inclusion in Brawl.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dr.Hadji said:
So true. Metroid II was my first scary game and all these years later they still get me. Speaking of Metroid I just realized that other day that most of the Metroid games released have come out after Melee.
Fusion, Zero Mission, Prime 1 - 3, and Hunters and Pinball if you want to count them. Thats 5 whole news games with new cannon to the universe. All perfect for inclusion in Brawl.

Nintendo really went Metroid crazy in the Gamecube era.

Rindain

Banned
A Metroid assist trophy would be great.

Or what about some of the Hunters from Prime 3? I'd love to see Rundas, Ghor, and Gandrayda come out and kick some ass.

Christopher said:
They really need to stop putting new Pokemon in I have no idea who the new ones are :(
They didn't go to your house and ask you about what new features you absolutely didn't want in the game? That's weird. I offered them coffee when they stopped by here.

GamerSoul

If anything, this gives Lucario a even better shot in. Munchlax and Lucario were revealed around the same time, so if any 4th gen Pkmn becomes playable, it's Lucario.

Haunted

It's a sad day when I actually agree with Christopher.

On the other hand, if they're good gameplay additions, I couldn't care less from which franchise they hail.

Then again, recognising characters from games I've played is the best.

Speevy

Banned
Every single update makes the game seem better, except when it pertains to Pokemon.

The more emphasis on Pokemon this game has, the worse it will be.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Speevy said:
Every single update makes the game seem better, except when it pertains to Pokemon.

The world must be ending because I completely agree with Speevy on this.

Firestorm

Haunted One said:
It's a sad day when I actually agree with Christopher.

On the other hand, if they're good gameplay additions, I couldn't care less from which franchise they hail.

Then again, recognising characters from games I've played is the best.

I'm kinda the opposite. I like new stuff I don't know about so I learn more about them. Kind of like Fire Emblem in SSBM.

Aren't there any people here who start maining a character in Smash, then check out the character's games when they come out? Or previous games? Or do most of you play characters in Smash that you like from before?

Speevy said:

And why is that?

GamerSoul

Firestorm said:
Aren't there any people here who start maining a character in Smash, then check out the character's games when they come out? Or previous games? Or do most of you play characters in Smash that you like from before?

Only FE comes to mind. But before I played the original SSB, I didn't know who Ness was. I serious thought he was the NES in kid form.

Speevy

Banned
Firestorm said:
And why is that?

Because there is nothing in the Pokemon universe which contains

A) Quality, or the type of quality Nintendo is known for.
B) Nostalgia for things I remember playing as a kid.
C) The sort of kickass character a 24 year old adult such as myself can find appealing on any level whatsoever.

Basically, the basic reason is that Pokemon serves to cheapen the entire stable of Nintendo characters, moreso than Mario Party or Starfox Assault ever could.

The entire series offers no hope of ever changing to anything a detractor could love, and more specifically, ever producing a single console iteration that is even average.

Jme

Firestorm said:
Speevy said:

And why is that?

Because Pokemon:
A) Is geared towards children
B) Has it's own battling games and does not need to invade SSB franchise
C) Sucks
D) (So far) has more characters in this game than any other Nintendo franchise, which is ri-fucking-diculous.

Haunted

Firestorm said:
I'm kinda the opposite. I like new stuff I don't know about so I learn more about them. Kind of like Fire Emblem in SSBM.

New stuff is always cool, of course! But:

1) I know the Pokemon games annd don't like them, so more characters from that franchise always feels meh to me.

2) Brawl is the ultimate Nintendo fanservice game, so the more recognisables, the better, imo.

GamerSoul said:
Only FE comes to mind. But before I played the original SSB, I didn't know who Ness was. I serious thought he was the NES in kid form.
:lol :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
handofg0d said:
Because Pokemon:
C) Sucks
D) (So far) has more characters in this game than any other Nintendo franchise, which is ri-fucking-diculous.

A) And Mario isnt, or heck, NINTENDO isnt?
B) Pokemon Stadium? Are you fucking serious? SSB is a collection of Nintendo franchises, why isnt Pokemon worthy of being there? Pikachu is an amazingly iconic character, for one, and the way the franchise has beein used in Smash has been appropriate (pokeballs) and fun with characters like Jigglypuff.
C)Its a good RPG, with good collection and battle system, get over yourself (although they have been stale lately)
D) So what? Is it bad that Suikoden introduces 100+ characters per game? I fail top see that as proof that something is bad.

I understand that you dont like something, thats fine and youre entitled, but just because YOU dont like it doesnt mean everybody else shouldn't.

Firestorm

Speevy said:

The main Pokemon franchise has a ton of quality. Nintendo is not known for making deep competitive games for the most part, I agree, but hating Pokemon because it actually does provide that? Well, might as well hate SSB while you're at it then.

Oh. You. Well, if every game was geared towards you gaming would kinda blow.

C) The sort of kickass character a 24 year old adult such as myself can find appealing on any level whatsoever.
1342828443_8ce31caa3f.jpg

Basically, the basic reason is that Pokemon serves to cheapen the entire stable of Nintendo characters, moreso than Mario Party or Starfox Assault ever could.
How. Seriously. How.
Deepest multiplayer turn based strategy game vs board game with minigames every year.

The entire series offers no hope of ever changing to anything a detractor could love, and more specifically, ever producing a single console iteration that is even average.
Game Freak has never made a console Pokemon RPG and they don't have to. We're basing them off the handheld games. Why should they change what they're doing to appeal to your tastes when 10 million+ people like it as it is?

handofg0d said:
Because Pokemon:
So is Mario and Harry Potter. Just because it's geared towards children doesn't mean people older can't enjoy it.
Turn Based Strategy vs Real Time Fighting. They're very different. It's like saying Final Fantasy Dissidia shouldn't exist because the FF characters already fight in FFI-XII
C) Sucks
You swallow :O
First off, the Pokeball is an item. A very obvious choice for an item at that. Playable, there are only 4 characters in Melee (1 confirmed for Brawl). Considering there are 493 Pokemon and it's the second best selling Nintendo franchise in current times (after Smash), I'd say it's well-deserved and not "ri-fucking-diculous".

Also, I only just got back into Pokemon early this year after about a 5 year break. I was a huge fan of the franchise in elementary school, skipped out during high school, discovered the hidden depth from a friend and am fully into it.

handofg0d said:
Because Pokemon:
C) Sucks

Cry a little more plz.

MORE POCKET MEN.

EDIT: Holy shit @ Speevy. You gotta be joking.

knkng

Speevy said:

Agreed. They need to hurry up and reveal the Cho Aniki playable characters. It's only a matter of time now...I predict Friday's update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom