• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one not the slightest bit surprised by this update? I mean, her character design doesn't exactly scream "PLAYABLE". She's pretty bland, in my humble opinion. Plus all the pervs would always be trying to look up her skirt thing. I remember all the screenshots of Peach...

And I feel bad for Zeed, but let's face it, he was setting himself up for a letdown anyway. He was expecting Ike, Lyn, and Marth all to be playable, plus possibly more Fire Emblem characters. Do you honestly think they'd put in three or more playable FE characters? That's asking for a bit much, I think.

Scribble

EricDiesel said:
Am I the only one not the slightest bit surprised by this update? I mean, her character design doesn't exactly scream "PLAYABLE". She's pretty bland, in my humble opinion.

I don't think that really matters in Smash Bros, where the character's legacy probably comes before that. It isn't as if this is an original fighting game, or anything.

Haunted

Scribble said:
Maybe there will just be two FE reps.
Who's the second one? Now that Lyn's gone, I can only think of

- Marth
- Roy
- Hector
- Eliwood
- Sothe

as reasonable possibilities. With Lyn, a handheld lord being an AT, the chances for the other handheld characters are dwindling, though. Maybe they'll concentrate on the console characters.

CTLance

Scribble said:
4y64l6d.jpg

She wants you.
Too bad. Do not want. More hair then me -> instafail. I realize this may be picky, but that's just the kind of guy I am.
In anticipation of the inevitable: Fiery, painful death to the first one to shop a shaved Krystal.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Haunted One said:
Who's the second one? Now that Lyn's gone, I can only think of

- Marth
- Roy
- Hector
- Eliwood
- Sothe

as reasonable possibilities. With Lyn, a handheld lord being an AT, the chances for the other handheld characters are dwindling, though. Maybe they'll concentrate on the console characters.

One of the new characters from the Wii game probably, right? Sounds about right. Right.

Jiggy

Halycon said:
Zeed was begging for someone to post this one image, so here:

http://i14.tinypic.com/4ftut13.png
Poor Zeed. :(
But don't worry, man. We know you wouldn't let us forget even if we try.

JohnTinker said:
Predicting Ridley Boss Character update tomorrow
See, I fall just short of going there because I think Ridley would come too late in the game to be shown off by Dojo updates without spoiling something significant. I do think he'll only be a boss, though.

Scribble

Haunted One said:
Who's the second one?

Marth! Marth! Maaaaaarth!

Marth is the most iconic FE character. Him, Sigurd and Ike are the big ones.

CTLance said:
In anticipation of the inevitable: Fiery, painful death to the first one to shop a shaved Krystal.

If only I knew how to use it ;_;

NeonZ

Duderz said:
Why not Titania? Just because she's in the same game as Ike?

Titania was basically a supporting character, in spite of her constant presence in the intermission dialogs. I don't think someone like her would be chosen before an actual main character.

G-Off

NeonZ said:
Titania was basically a supporting character, in spite of her constant presence in the intermission dialogs. I don't think someone like her would be chosen before an actual main character.
And the fact that she was always on the horse.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Insaniac said:
if there is a second fire emblem character, now that Lyn is only assist, I want a non-sword user.
I wouldnt mind that. Alrthough i thought that marth and roy were good characters in melee, the problem with them was that they were both very similar. It would be better to have two FE characters that are quite different.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Golden Darkness said:
assist07_070911a.jpg

A young girl from the Sacae plains, Lyn (whose true name is Lyndis) makes a guest appearance from the Game Boy Advance game Fire Emblem.

assist07_070911b-l.jpg

Lyn descends gallantly. She looks tough.

She wields what looks like a classical Japanese sword, so she’s similar to Samurai Goroh, but her sword strokes are a little different from his reckless slashing.

assist07_070911c-l.jpg

She crouches and builds up power...

assist07_070911d-l.jpg

She vanished?!

assist07_070911e-l.jpg

The flash of a blade!

You’ll get helplessly cut down if you suffer a solid blow from this blade. If you call her forth as your ally, grab your enemies to make them easier for her to hit.

Goddamit, I wanted her to be playable.

Boo Nintendo, add more females for Smash Bros.

Dr.Hadji

Jiggy37 said:
This post over here from earlier today yesterday says it's possible that they might add more characters via Wi-Fi. I'm thinking it must be easier to add characters who already have a model (even if it needs refinining) than to start from scratch, and also that characters who got in as assist trophies would be more likely than characters who didn't even get that treatment, so maybe there's some marginal hope yet for Samurai Goroh and Lyn.

Let's not forget.....
how many unique animations... attacks, blocks, hurt, asleep, fire, woozy, teetering, hand clapping, multiple victory "dances," attacks with various items, taunts

and how many sounds .... cheers, grunts, attacks, welps, character name announcements, victory dance sounds, taunt sounds

unique data.... how quickly they can throw items or other objects, weight, floatyness, slide-ability,

Model detail.... if their closes can flap in the wind, alternate colors or costumes, lighting data,

all of that not only takes space. But assuming Nintendo takes care of this problem, what about the time and effort? Who's going to do all of this work. Sakurai? I not sure if he's saying around long after the game is done. I hear Nintendo has already pulled some of their men off the Brawl project cause it's nearly completion.

And besides all of that... who's going to make sure new characters are balanced? That's a significant undertaking in itself.

It's much more likely that we'll get new stages, music (MIDI), items, modes, and challenges. New characters is probably least likely.

It feels like Sakurai is adding as many characters as he can, and everyone else gets "assisted".

Oh, and Advance Wars anything for the win.

ohamsie

I would love to have downloadable content, like maybe once a year have a $10 content pack with new characters, stages, assist trophies, etc. But has there been any downloadable content for wii games?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I don't think Advance Wars will really make it in. The series isn't that popular in Japan.

Raging Spaniard said:
Tomorrows update: Doesn't matter what it is, people will bitch regardless.

Unless its online mode

Jiggy

Dr.Hadji said:
It's much more likely that we'll get new stages, music (MIDI), items, modes, and challenges. New characters is probably least likely.
I don't disagree. But this is GAF, where Believe is our motto. >_>

Edit:
grandjedi6 said:
I don't think Advance Wars will really make it in. The series isn't that popular in Japan.
Were Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, and Game & Watch?

JKBii

There is not enough bitching in this thread. I'm tired of Sakurai ignoring handicapped characters in his games. Some people have been saying Sakurai is only doing this because he doesn't have enough options to choose from, but that's just BS. Cranky Kong has a cane, that's a start. Then there's the guy who had a boulder fall on him in Golden Sun II and Professor X from X-Men, both powerful and memorable characters. Sakurai has a wide variety of handicapped characters but he continues to ignore them all.

I know I've been pulling for Andross to get a spot since you know, he lost every body part but his head, but I wanted him to be fully playable. By making him an assist trophie he is marginalizing Andross so I am bitching about that and I will continue to bitch about it until Sakurai makes him and several other handicapped characters make the cut.

Obviously the problem lies in the development team. There simply aren't enough handicapped people on dev teams. I'm not talking about the interns that get hired because their coffee runs go by quicker of they hold the handle of a car door, I'm talking about handicapped people controlling the storyline, the art direction, and yes, I want handicapped game directors too. Maybe then the industry will wake up and start making games taylored to handicapped people so the few handicapped gamers out there can feel more comfortable with a hobby dominated by functional people.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
"Hey, have you got that Lyn character profile ready for today's Dojo update?"

"Yes sir, I think it's all r- oh, wait a minute. Wait."

"What?"

"There's these two guys on this English-speaking forum making a 'ban bet' on whether she should be in the game or not."

"They are? Hmm... Okay, scrap it. Lyn is an Assist Trophy now. Get to it!"

"Y..y.yessir!"

"That should mix things up a bit, don't want them making accurate predictions about my work now do we? BWAHAHAHAHA!"

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Desperado said:
I don't get why having more female characters is such a big deal.

Yeah same here, it worked well for Street Fighter.

The guys just want something to fap to, makes them feel vindicated, me thinks.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ActionReplay don't fail us now.

Give us playable Lyn.

Duo014

SovanJedi said:
"Hey, have you got that Lyn character profile ready for today's Dojo update?"

"Yes sir, I think it's all r- oh, wait a minute. Wait."

"What?"

"There's these two guys on this English-speaking forum making a 'ban bet' on whether she should be in the game or not."

"They are? Hmm... Okay, scrap it. Lyn is an Assist Trophy now. Get to it!"

"Y..y.yessir!"

"That should mix things up a bit, don't want them making accurate predictions about my work now do we? BWAHAHAHAHA!"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
That cracked me up

Scribble

Lol.

I also don't give a damn about having "more female characters" for the sake of it. As I said before, this is isn't an original fighting game, and to me, the legacy of the characters is *way* more important than their gender.

The only really "big" female characters that haven't made it in yet are Krystal and Dixie. :lol

Oh, and Action Replay won't give you a playable Lyn if she only has one or two animations XD

Scribble

Kawaii said:
So my guess for today (assist trophie) was right.

For tomorrow, I call, item update.

Lol, that was so dramatic:

I call

item update

:lol

Oh, and Jigglypuff could be a transvestite, for all we know. Lol.

PkunkFury

Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah same here, it worked well for Street Fighter.

The guys just want something to fap to, makes them feel vindicated, me thinks.

if you're referring to me, I only bring it up because it's clear Sakurai/Nintendo wanted more playable females.

one of his quotes:

I put Zero Suit Samus in thinking I wanted to include more characters from the popular Metroid series. Also, since Smash Bros. has few female characters, I was quite happy to include her.

and I recall other quotes around the time of Melee when Zelda/Peach/Popo were added.

I could care less if more female characters are added, but I do think it's sad that an actual character like Lyn was left out while Samus received another semi-accessible form to fill that spot. I was using the impression that nintendo would continue to try to add females as a basis for logical character predictions, hence the reason I thought Lyn or Dixie (alongside Diddy) would get a spot, but I see I was wrong. However, I still beleive Krystal will be playable for the same reason, but I'm no longer so certain

as for other folks in this thread, it's understandable they'd be upset if they actually wanted Lyn playable. I think every AT update that isn't as bizarre as Dr. Wright/Andross will have a similar fall out. ATs are a great way to include lesser known characters, but while we're still waiting for the final roster, it's going to sting to see a character you were hoping for "uncomfirmed"

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Scribble said:
Lol.

I also don't give a damn about having "more female characters" for the sake of it. As I said before, this is isn't an original fighting game, and to me, the legacy of the characters is *way* more important than their gender.

The only really "big" female characters that haven't made it in yet are Krystal and Dixie. :lol

Oh, and Action Replay won't give you a playable Lyn if she only has one or two animations XD
I was hoping that Lyn was in development, then later scrapped for Ike. She might even have a basic moveset that they never bothered taking out!

And for the record, the Nile is a river in Egypt.

Jiggy

Desperado said:
I don't get why having more female characters is such a big deal.
Because variety is pivotal in fighting games. That's also why people complain about clone characters whose moves look the same even when they have completely different impacts.

Scribble said:
Jigglypuff could be a transvestite, for all we know. Lol.
75% of the species is born female. I'm guessing that either ninja or crown Jigglypuff is supposed to be the one male costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom