• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, In Melee, I LOVED huge stages where you can just run anywhere. I know it will be in there somewhere, I really want to see more. The stages have been nice, but......tiny..

Scribble

I don't want to be bitchy, or bitch about anyone in particular, but it surprises me how people were worrying themselves about whether Meta Knight was a villain or not. It should be fairly easy to guess what kind of role he might have if you, like, PLAY A KIRBY GAME.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Suburban Cowboy said:
too much environmental hazard, i prefer straight forward stages where I can focus on my enemy. Im fine with it in stages like Corneria in melee where the ships dont get too in the way, but this seems like it might be annoying

Wishful thinking, I know, but id like there to be an option to turn of the ships attacks.
That is wishful thinking. I cant see that happening

Stages that keep moving or have ways to knock you off are good. The more hazards there are, the better. It makes a stage more fun. Thats why I loved the Pokemon floats stadium in melee; it was so easy to fall off because the stage always kept moving. That was one of the best stages in the last game.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I cant imagine tingle as a playable character. Assist trophy maybe, but a playable character, I don't see it happening. What would he be able to do? throw a map?

Scribble

He can:

*Use bombs
*Rupees
*Maps
*Balloons (for up B?)

He's got enough things to make a moveset out of. He's got his own action/RPG/strategy/sim/adventure game, after all =)

Twig

Banned
And he could turn people into his slaves.

Imagine Bowser dressed up like Tingle, doing his bidding (for a limited amount of time, naturally).

So awesome.

G-Off

TheOneGuy said:
And he could turn people into his slaves.

Imagine Bowser dressed up like Tingle, doing his bidding (for a limited amount of time, naturally).

So awesome.
But then he'd look like a sex slave. Bowser in green spandex.

Is that really what you want?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Dr.Hadji said:
No Strategy? Do you honestly think that's the case?

If you think the N64 has the best stage design, then when Brawl comes out, you'll hardly notice the difference.

Personally, yes I find that I enjoy the game more when playing on static stages. But then again I prefer playing the original over Melee anyway. Melee I find frustrating to play for some reason, possibly due to the more emphasis on ground based combat, which is why I am looking forward to Brawl with air-based characters like Meta Knight and Pit.

With regards to a level like Hyrule castle, for a asset used from a different game, I find the level to encourage some strategy from different types of players.
PkunkFury summed it up pretty well. :)

PkunkFury said:
Everyone brings up Hyrule Castle, and there's a reason. You could fight on the left hand side, where you struggled for the top of the slanted roof. You could fight up the tower in the middle, this was usually to get to an item, escape tornados, or knock down a camper. Finally, you could fight on the right hand side, where the dynamic changed due to the little house thing you could squat in. All these areas are connected by a busy mid-section which is great for laying traps and dodging tornados.

It's really not a large level, but the amount of variety keeps things interesting. You change your play style depending on where in the level you end up; you always have an exit in mind to retreat to or a goal in mind to take over. The level isn't symetrical, it encourages strategies in team play (splitting up and commanding different areas), it makes scrounging for items interesting, and it remains small enough for good 2-player games.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'm not entirely sure why everybody is claiming that Meta-Knight is the villain. In fact, I daresay he may be one of the main players in fighting the villains of the Subspace Emissary. After all, in the Kirby games, Meta-Knight is usually portrayed as a hero or antihero. Look at The Amazing Mirror, for example.

There are only two instances (in the main platformers, not counting stuff like Kirby's Avalanche) that Kirby has fought Meta-Knight: Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Super Star. In Adventure, Meta-Knight is working for Dedede and is in fact fighting against the Nightmare since if Kirby defeats Dedede, it will release the Nightmare. (In the game, Dedede splits the Star Rod to seal the Nightmare in the Fountain of Dreams while Kirby, not knowing what Dedede is doing, tries to restore the Star Rod) In Kirby Super Star, Meta-Knight was apparently possessed by Nightmare. That's obviously a retcon but it's HAL's series and what they say goes.

Personally, I suspect that Master Hand is the Subspace Emissary's true mastermind.

[Nintex]

perfectchaos007 said:
So tonight is rumored to have a megaton eh?
Yes, tonight is Megaton time, the world will end in a great ball of fire because of the awesomeness of this game and
This is a Star,
Stars have been around for a long time in Super Mario games, so it's really a no brainer to include these in my new Smash Bros. game!!
Everyone run!
No don't jump of the cliff!

Mistouze said:
Hmmm not really, Wario's final smash has not been revealed yet.

Well, we don't really know if that was his final smash. It is identical to his down B anyway. I think Wario's final smash proably has something to do with Wario Ware.

On the other topic, I don't mean to be a *****, I hope tingle isn't a playable character. I guess that is just me. Although, I think he would be a great AT. He could run on the stage and through mass amounts of Rubees everywhare.

Twig

Banned
Frozen Fire said:
I hope tingle isn't a playable character.
And I hope a thousand ants devour you overnight!

):

Tingle would be the second best fighter in the game.

Wario, the best, is already present.
Iam Canadian said:
Personally, I suspect that Master Hand is the Subspace Emissary's true mastermind.
I find it amazing that anyone could believe otherwise.

TheOneGuy said:
And I hope a thousand ants devour you overnight!

):

Tingle would be the second best fighter in the game.

Wario, the best, is already present.

I find it amazing that anyone could believe otherwise.

I dunno, I just think, even with what Scribble said, I just don't think he would have enough for a whole character. I mean, it is possible for a secret character. He does have a bigger chance than some of the other guys we've been talking about.

Twig

Banned
Frozen Fire said:
I dunno, I just think, even with what Scribble said, I just don't think he would have enough for a whole character. I mean, it is possible for a secret character. He does have a bigger chance than some of the other guys we've been talking about.
No, not really, heh. I would be incredibly surprised if Tingle was a fighter, secret or otherwise. I'm definitely thinking AT.

Plus, I think Skull Kid (with Majora's Mask) would be awesome, too, and he would maybe have a higher chance? I dunno. He at least has a background of actually FIGHTING.

Also, what ShockingAlberto said.

Scribble

Frozen Fire said:
He does have a bigger chance than some of the other guys we've been talking about.

If we're talking about characters like Sothe (lol at the bet), Tingle has a bigger chance. Tingle is also way more likely than Skull Kid. Way more likely. Although we can't really say things like that.

Characters being able to fight doesn't increase or decrease their chances, btw. Tingle has more moves to draw from his games than Fox or Falcon did, too.

[Nintex] said:
Yes, tonight is Megaton time, the world will end in a great ball of fire because of the awesomeness of this game and
This is a Star,
Stars have been around for a long time in Super Mario games, so it's really a no brainer to include these in my new Smash Bros. game!!
Everyone run!
No don't jump of the cliff!
WHAT IF ITS THE MEGA STAR?!

EktorPR

Ok guys, mock me to hell if this is old, but...

b098828fd7a0723438862110._AA280_.L.jpg

New, seemingly official box art at Amazon.

Don't like the front cover...but it has teh' wi-fi logo. :D

EktorPR said:
Ok guys, mock me to hell if this is old, but...

b098828fd7a0723438862110._AA280_.L.jpg

New, seemingly official box art at Amazon.

Don't like the front cover...but it has teh' wi-fi logo. :D

I've seen it before. It's not real...but I am pretty sure everybody knows that by now. :D
I don't think they will ben realesing any boxart till it comes out or is a update on the Dojo.

usea

DavidDayton said:
The problem I have isn't the existance of simple (or, as I call 'em, "boring") stages... even Final Destination can be amusing every once in a while. My issue is that instead of seeing much real variation, we're seeing the same basic design again and again and again.

If we have one Final Destination-like stage, and one Dream Fountain-like stage, why do we need several more of each? That's just eye candy without and real difference to the stages. I was annoyed by the use of overly similar stage design in a few choices in Melee (Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, and to some extent the N64 Dreamland)... Brawl is looking like it extends the use of clone stages to silly levels.

Am I worried? Not really... I can't imagine that the game will disappoint. I'm just wondering when the good levels will start showing up.
The differences between stages like Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams and Battlefield in melee were huge. The difference isn't just eye candy, they play very differently (especially FoD).

Hell Dreamland 64 is radically different from the others, not similar at all. Yoshi's Story is one of the smallest stages, its edges angle down, and it has that cloud which can save you and add some interesting decisions on the edge. Dreamland is one of the biggest stages (awesome for peach, samus etc who have essentially unlimited horizontal recovery). The edges don't taper, the platforms are higher, farther apart, and there is wind. Characters who excel on one of those two are different from the ones who excel at the other.

The simple/boring/static stages in brawl so far look even more varied than the ones in melee. As for how many of them I would want, well ideally I'd like a stage designer so I could make my own, but 15-20 would be nice. I know that's probably unrealistic, but I'm just saying. How many stages have we seen for brawl so far that are of relatively simple design, don't move or change at all, and have no background interference?

EktorPR

Frozen Fire said:
I've seen it before. It's not real...but I am pretty sure everybody knows that by now. :D
I don't think they will ben realesing any boxart till it comes out or is a update on the Dojo.

My bad. Why the fucking shit Amazon doesn't state this under the art? A "box art not official art from Nintendo" would suffice.

EktorPR said:
My bad. Why the fucking shit Amazon doesn't state this under the art? A "box art not official art from Nintendo" would suffice.

That's okay :D You do have a point though. I guess they are tring to look like they have the offical boxart so people will buy/preorder from them.

Jiggy

Whatever the case may be as far as stages go, we should eventually start getting more angled sections at least. I somehow don't think they designed the crate sliding mechanic for the sake of one or two levels.

Haunted

I like how the backdrop in the Halberd stage interacts with the players on the platforms from time to time - gives me a nice Planet Venom vibe.

EktorPR said:
Where is it from, then? I don't think Amazon would just put up some fake fanmade boxart. (I assume :lol )

PkunkFury

so did people get to play this yesterday or not? I find it strange there's no news here or anywhere else on the net. Surely someone who was at that convention is enough of a Smash fan to at least tell the somewhere on the internet what characters were in the demo

Haunted One said:
I like how the backdrop in the Halberd stage interacts with the players on the platforms from time to time - gives me a nice Planet Venom vibe.

Where is it from, then? I don't think Amazon would just put up some fake fanmade boxart. (I assume :lol )
VGBoxart or whatever. You can tell by the bar underneath the image.

Cyan said:
Ugh, Tingle is easily the worst Nintendo character of the last few generations. He's right up there with Krystal and Candy Kong. Actually come to think of it, those two were created by Rare... so yeah, I guess he's the worst Nintendo character ever.

Anyway, enough with the N64+ Zelda references. Let's have some items or assist trophies from LttP or LA. Rooster assist trophy! :O
TingleMe.gif

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
SantaC said:
I am kinda worried that snake is the only 3rd party character in the game. Should I be worried?

no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom