• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

methodman

Banned
iceclimbers_070914b-l.jpg

What level is this?

psycho_snake said:
Why Mr G&W? There isnt any other character like him, so they cant replace him with anybody.

Wario.
If G&W stays, then wario will pretty much be his semi-clone.

Many fans clamored for Wario to join the fray, and so now he finally makes his appearance...in his WarioWare costume.

It’s rumored that this unpredictable character will give birth to a form of martial arts that other characters cannot even see.

wario_070620a-l.jpg

(see how he waddles side to side like game & watch?)
wario_070620b-l.jpg

NeonZ

Wario.

They have similar running animations and that's it. Wario doesn't even use random objects from his mini-games in his A moves, and that's what Game & Watch's moveset is entirely about.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
-WindYoshi- said:
Wario.

Many fans clamored for Wario to join the fray, and so now he finally makes his appearance...in his WarioWare costume.

It’s rumored that this unpredictable character will give birth to a form of martial arts that other characters cannot even see.

Thats a bad comparison for the following:

You havent EVEN PLAYED THE GAME and youre claiming whos a clone of who. Thats just crazy talk, specially how youre basing it off one picture. Come on now.

I'm basing it off pictures and the way Sakurai described his fighting style.
It really does match up with G&W.

I'm not guaranteeing it, I just brought it up as an example to show that there IS a character similar to G&W(remember: Why Mr G&W? There isnt any other character like him, so they cant replace him with anybody), that can or may replace him. I hope that they both co-exist, personally.

Oh wow the Ice Climbers look incredibly cute! I can't wait to see what new moves they have. :D

-WindYoshi- said:

I'm not guaranteeing it, I just brought it up as an example to show that there IS a character similar to G&W, that can or may replace him. I hope that they both co-exist, personally.
I don't remember G&W riding his motorcycle into battle. :D

NeonZ

-WindYoshi- said:

What...? That makes it even worse. At least, the running animations actually are similar!

It is said that Wario "will give birth to a form of martial arts". If he was supposed to resemble Game and Watch's style, he wouldn't be creating anything.

Besides, as already mentioned, we have seen him in action, and he doesn't pull random objects in every A move, and the one object he has been revealed to use in his B move is completely different from the ones used by Mr.G&W... The only true similarity is the running animation.

Threi said:
The only thing that Wario and G&W have in common are low-frame moves.

The movesets are completely different.

Yup, that's true as far as we know.
That's why I used the term "semi-clone".

They would be the only two fighters that would fight with a style "others could not even see" (low frame movement).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
timmy said:
Yay @ Ice Climbers! They were my main toon in Melee and probably will continue to be in this one. This made my day. :D

Im glad Sakurai could make your wish come true, so now make mine and include Crono GODDAMMIT.

*cries*

ShockingAlberto said:
Wario and Game & Watch are exactly the same except for all the differences.

Please don't mock me, I never used the word exactly, only similar.
I implore everyone to thoroughly read my posts before commenting on them... I guess i'm a very intricate person or something.

-_-

Raging Spaniard

Haunted One said:
Saying Wario is a 'semi-clone' (?) of Mr. Game & Watch is the most retarded thing I've read on GAF since Joust William's attempts to discredit the Wii sales in the NPD thread yesterday.

Well you know, Peach is a semi-clone of Zelda since they're around the same height, the face texture is similar they both wear pink in some spots and they're both females.

Jigglypuff is also a semi-clone of Kirby since they're both pink, fluffy and float.

Marth is a semi-clone of Link since they both use swords.

Can keep this shit up all day!

Raging Spaniard said:
Well you know, Peach is a semi-clone of Zelda since theyre around the same height, the face texture is similar they both wear pink in some spots and theyre both females.

Jigglypuff is also a semi-clone of Kirby since theyre both pnk, fluffy and float.

I agree with the jigglypuff/kirby one.
What makes it for me is the movement aspect.

Raging Spaniard

Insaniac said:
isn't a semi clone like saying someone is semi-vegetarian?

It means that Wario played a lot of Melee, used Mr. Game & Watch and is now currently ripping off his moves/style and calling them his own, very much in tune with his personality.

OMG this is so CANON, Sakurai thought of EVERYTHING!

Jiggy

-WindYoshi- said:
I agree with the jigglypuff/kirby one.
What makes it for me is the movement aspect.
Jigglypuff has near-perfect mobility in the air, and all of her aerial attacks have such a lack of lag that she can jump immediately afterward; Kirby sinks like a weight and all of his aerial attacks except Up + A have too much lack to be usable. I think you'd have a difficult time finding any serious Jigglypuff player like me who agrees that Kirby is comparable.

Now, if you want to argue that their down smash and forward smash are very similar, okay, that much is true, but that's about it.

I'll end it @ this: all I am saying is that Wario is similar enough to G&W to be compared to him in the same vein. They will probably be the only two characters with low frame movement in the game, if G&W makes it in that is, with the main reason I can see for him not making it, being Wario for his similarities.

He's random damnit, RAAAAAANDDDOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!111!11
Did you see the warioware level? Even G&W's SSBM level can't match the craziness!

The end.

:D

usea

NeonZ said:
Neither Roy nor any of the other 5 characters in the edge of Melee's selection screen had a unique set of animations, so they could be excluded with minimal losses. There were a few exclusive things sometimes, like Pichu's headbut Smash, extra effects, taunts and victory poses, but at least 90% of the animations were recycled.

It's kind of funny how almost everyone seems to be certain Falco Lombardi will return and his presence is not even debated much, but he's actually part of the group most likely to get cut.

I do think the Marth/Roy animation set will be back in this game, but that doesn't mean the characters will return. However, they'll need a character with similar body structure to use those animations, if they're getting replaced and, in their case, finding similar characters in FE will be much easier, as basically any swordfighter would fit. We already know that Ike has his own set of animations though, so he isn't a replacement.
Can you explain your logic that because character A has similar animations to character B, they're more likely to not be included in brawl? I honestly just don't understand how that makes any sense.

Jiggy

methodman said:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/iceclimbers/iceclimbers_070914b-l.jpg

What level is this?
It's from Subspace Emissary, I think. See the screenshot where Fox is chased by some giant grayish goat thing.

rocK`

Banned
Chu Dat definitely had something to do with this

not a big fan of the IC, but they are fun to mess people up with in SSBM. desynch ftw.

-WindYoshi- said:

I'm not guaranteeing it, I just brought it up as an example to show that there IS a character similar to G&W(remember: Why Mr G&W? There isnt any other character like him, so they cant replace him with anybody), that can or may replace him. I hope that they both co-exist, personally.

no, no it doesnt.

esbern

Raging Spaniard said:
Well you know, Peach is a semi-clone of Zelda since they're around the same height, the face texture is similar they both wear pink in some spots and they're both females.

Jigglypuff is also a semi-clone of Kirby since they're both pink, fluffy and float.

yeah donkey kong is a clone of bowser b/c they both blow

Baryn

Banned
G-Off said:
Who the crap said he was an unlockable? If he is, why did they announce it on the site and give away the surprise?
It was already announced that pretty much everything in the game would be revealed on Dojo before the game's release (save perhaps a few surprises, but that's only my speculation).

Firestorm

The term clones is retarded. The term semi-clones is gamefaqs retarded.

Also, is "mediocre" the term for "broken". Because I keep hearing ICs referred to as "mediocre" in this thread.

I hope the game is only so ICs kick your asses >=o Well, if they remain the same. Something tells me they'll be nerfed a bit.

EktorPR

Frozen Fire said:
Wow.... I am throughly suprised. I really honestly thought they would not be in this one. Oh well, they are kinda cute anyway.

Well, here is something I've kind of noticed. Their are a heck of a lot fluffier and the hammers are a lot bigger to give them a more teddy bear look. I guess Nintendo is trying to make them more into a "cute" character. If they were really trying then they did it.... As much as it pains me to say this.. I just wanna hug the little buggers.. :D

Dey wook soo fluwffy an soff.

:lol

I came here to post exactly the same thing minus the "Nintendo trying to make them cuter" part. I mean, the ARE cute. They were born with cuteness all around them...cuteness was their mother and father combined...single mother carrying father duties...yes, that's it...oh, and yes, I want to hug the little fluffy mofos.

iceclimbers_070914a-l.jpg

SO

iceclimbers_070914c-l.jpg

FUCKING

iceclimbers_070914d-l.jpg

CUTE.

Jiggy

Though there are many cool aspects to Ice Climbers, the best thing about them is that they're a Smash character using non-sword weapons. Imagine that.

G-Off

Jiggy37 said:
Though there are many cool aspects to Ice Climbers, the best thing about them is that they're a Smash character using non-sword weapons. Imagine that.
Mario, Peach, Zelda, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy and Donkey Kong, Bowser, Yoshi, Kirby, Wario, Pikachu, Fox, Snake, and Pokemon Trainer.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
My current theory is that all the "unique" (non-clone) characters in Melee, barring Game and Watch (who I have no idea about) will return. The return of the Ice Climbers, who are perhaps the characters who have been rumoured to have been dropped more than Ness, supports my theory somewhat.

Although I'll admit, the main reason I subscribe to this theory is because I desperately want Ness to return.

NeonZ

Can you explain your logic that because character A has similar animations to character B, they're more likely to not be included in brawl? I honestly just don't understand how that makes any sense.

It's simple.

Their animations weren't only similar, like Luigi's and Mario's, the animation of those 6 characters were exactly the same. Around 90% of their animations were reused from a single other character.

Why are they more likely to not be in Brawl than any of the real characters? Because cutting them won't waste many resources, unlike cutting a real character without adding a replacement (which eliminate an entire animation set).

Baryn said:
It was already announced that pretty much everything in the game would be revealed on Dojo before the game's release (save perhaps a few surprises, but that's only my speculation).

Wrong. He said in the old Q&A that he'll reveal the secret characters like he did in Smash Melee's official site, and, in that one, he only revealed them after the game was released.

Here's SamuraiPanda's translation of the specific answer. BTW, it's also the one that confirmed Snake would be an unlockable.

#251-260: Sakurai in response to an email asking that everything be unlocked as a default = "Well... that is a tough question. As long as the internet exists, all secrets will be revealed quickly. Sometimes even before the game comes out, even. Secret characters are one of the fun parts of Smash. Although you don't want to find out until the very end, I guess [literally: 'after all,' so there is no doubt in this statement] I'll reveal them. Again, just like "Smash fist" [literally: 'Sumabura ken,' the name of the Japanese SSBM site?] I can't just hold these characters back. "

The rest isn't too important. Except the last sentence. Sakurai says that having Snake as a hidden character rather than be part of the starting line-up is more fitting for a guest character.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I don't think G&W will be back because he always struck me as included for shock value, as a reference out of left field that would catch people completely off guard when they unlocked him. Now that we've seen him in Melee, that factor no longer applies.

Raging Spaniard

NeonZ said:
It's simple.

Their animations weren't only similar, like Luigi's and Mario's, the animation of those 6 characters were exactly the same. Around 90% of their animations were reused from a single other character.

Why are they more likely to not be in Brawl than any of the real characters? Because cutting them won't waste many resources, unlike cutting a real character without adding a replacement (which eliminate an entire animation set).

Wrong. He said in the old Q&A that he'll reveal the secret characters like he did in Smash Melee's official site, and, in that one, he only revealed them after the game was released.

Here's SamuraiPanda's translation of the specific answer. BTW, it's also the one that confirmed Snake would be an unlockable.

Well, he could easily spend the time now revealing new items, stages and special moves until the game is released.

That leaves room for more 3rd party characters and newcomers that wont be revealed until after the game ships, thats EXCELLENT news. Very happy if thats the case :) Love the surprise factor, specially if all of a sudden motherfucking Megaman comes up as a new challenger

Also, I am now of the mind that all characters will return. No point in taking anybody out.

Shig said:
I don't think G&W will be back because he always struck me as included for shock value, as a reference out of left field that would catch people completely off guard when they unlocked him. Now that we've seen him in Melee, that factor no longer applies.

I've felt the same way about him too.
I'm betting he'll be back though.

Raging Spaniard

Shig said:

Dunno, my friend Vic uses him as his main and hes the best Smash player I know! Hes a good character, you just gotta learn it.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
So the models of the Ice Climbers have been very nicely improved (as I'm sure we all agree), but their design has stayed pretty much the same (not that it needed to change). Kind of the same as Kirby and Pikachu.

This makes me wonder... will we see a partial redesign for Captain Falcon like what we've seen for a few of the characters (Fox and Bowser come to mind as looking very different from how they did in Melee), or will he look pretty much the same, just more graphically-polished? Can't wait to see!

G-Off said:
Who the crap said he was an unlockable? If he is, why did they announce it on the site and give away the surprise?

I think you misread my post... I predicted Diddy Kong before his announcement on the site, but I guessed he'd be an unlockable. In the post you are quoting I was just mentioning that I originally didn't think he'd be a starter if he did end up in the game. (Which of course, he did!)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
G-Off said:
Mario, Peach, Zelda, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy and Donkey Kong, Bowser, Yoshi, Kirby, Wario, Pikachu, Fox, Snake, and Pokemon Trainer.

Key word "weapon". The only characters that work from that list would be Samus, Fox and Snake (maybe Diddy Kong too).

Firestorm

Raging Spaniard said:
Dunno, my friend Vic uses him as his main and hes the best Smash player I know! Hes a good character, you just gotta learn it.

G&W is far from a good character. I mean, a good player using G&W will beat a bad player using Fox most likely, but it doesn't make him a good character =P Kinda like Kirby and Ness in Melee.

People who think Ice Climbers Suck Watch This

*is tired of linking to videos of ICs*
2 > 1.

Olaeh

NICE! Glad to see they are confirmed finally. I've been predicting them as an update for a while now.... and one day where I can't be here is when they're announced... figures lol.

Raging Spaniard

grandjedi6 said:
Key word "weapon". The only characters that work from that list would be Samus, Fox and Snake (maybe Diddy Kong too).

Hey hey hey, Peach has a frying pan, tennis racket, golf club AND VEGETABLES.

Shes like, the Hawkeye or Bullseye of Nintendo characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom