• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Firestorm said:
G&W is far from a good character. I mean, a good player using G&W will beat a bad player using Fox most likely, but it doesn't make him a good character =P Kinda like Kirby and Ness in Melee.

People who think Ice Climbers Suck Watch This

*is tired of linking to videos of ICs*
2 > 1.

Hey I only see the awesomeness of Jigglypuff in that video, haha

Firestorm

Dr.Hadji said:
Come on man, if you're going to promote ICs, the least you should do is show some newer vids. You certainly can't talk about the ICs without mentioning Wobbling. Wobble(ing)s can make such good players look like scrubs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZlX6Z9AXJmI

Well, I'm willing to bet good money that Sakurai will make it so you can't take someone from 0 to 999 without them fighting back after noticing Wobbling. And he comes across as someone who definitely knows what's going on with his game in both the casual and competitive environment.

But yes, Wobbling is what I refer to when I say they are completely broken.
The advice "Don't get grabbed" is always annoying to hear :(

I linked to the other video because some people said it made them into IC believers after seeing it =p

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Actually it isnt such a bad thing that the ice climbers are still in the game. They're really different to everyone else and its good to have variety with the playable characters. I might just try to play with them in this game, even though I tried using them in melee and was utter rubbish.

Firestorm

Yeah, ICs are insanely hard to use imo. Except in free for alls where you can just run around d-smashing people randomly. I do almost nothing but spam the c-stick down while wavedashing when I use ICs in Free For Alls XD Somehow, it's still so much fun <3

I hope to learn how to use them correctly some day.

Dr.Hadji

Firestorm said:
Well, I'm willing to bet good money that Sakurai will make it so you can't take someone from 0 to 999 without them fighting back after noticing Wobbling. And he comes across as someone who definitely knows what's going on with his game in both the casual and competitive environment.

I know I'm probably reading too much into this comment but when Sakurai says "And the two of them get along great! ...I think." I really have to wonder what kind of changes hes going to make for the pair. I would be interesting if the two could interact with each other in more ways (other than SideB and UpB). Maybe they actually need to strike each other, sometimes........ maybe?

Jiggy

I don't get what's so hard about Ice Climbers. Assuming you don't know anything about wobbling, they play pretty much like you'd expect any character to. The one thing I could see people messing up is trying to use them as ground fighters when really they're great in the air (for an average player). Good neutral, up, down, and back attacks with pretty high priority and hitboxes that work in their favor. One of the first SSBM characters I adjusted to and loved pretty quickly, although I guess it helps somewhat that I spend like 80% of my time in Smash doing aerial attacks.

G-Off said:
Mario, Peach, Zelda, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy and Donkey Kong, Bowser, Yoshi, Kirby, Wario, Pikachu, Fox, Snake, and Pokemon Trainer.
For one thing, I didn't say Ice Climbers were the only Smash character with non-sword weapons.

But for another, what I'm really talking about is the involvement of weapons in the majority of a character's regular moveset. So Marth would be a weapon character because his sword is in every attack. And Link uses his sword in one B attack and every A attack except for two air moves, so he's a "sword character," while Ice Climbers use their hammers in one B attack and every A attack.
Fox having a single move using a gun doesn't mean much to me, and the same goes for Kirby having one hammer move and one cutter move. They're still melee fighters, just with a couple unorthodox attacks.

Jiggy37 said:
I don't get what's so hard about Ice Climbers. Assuming you don't know anything about wobbling, they play pretty much like you'd expect any character to. The one thing I could see people messing up is trying to use them as ground fighters when really they're great in the air (for an average player). Good neutral, up, down, and back attacks with pretty high priority and hitboxes that work in their favor. One of the first SSBM characters I adjusted to and loved pretty quickly, although I guess it helps somewhat that I spend like 80% of my time in Smash doing aerial attacks.

For one thing, I didn't say Ice Climbers were the only Smash character with non-sword weapons.

But for another, what I'm really talking about is the involvement of weapons in the majority of a character's regular moveset. So Marth would be a weapon character because his sword is in every attack. And Link uses his sword in one B attack and every A attack except for two air moves, so he's a "sword character," while Ice Climbers use their hammers in one B attack and every A attack.
Fox having a single move using a gun doesn't mean much to me, and the same goes for Kirby having one hammer move and one cutter move. They're still melee fighters, just with a couple unorthodox attacks.

The Brawl Characters are going to be very changed, Sakurai said so himself. However, this is good because now he can fix some broken moves. Not saying Ice Climbers are broken though, It is pretty hard to do what happened in that video. However, consider it gone because it is probably going to be nerfed or something.

Agreeing with Dr. Hadji, I hope they change IC a little bit though. I would like to see more synced attacks, because, well it look cool... :lol :lol :lol

ohamsie

I wonder what Ice Climbers will have for a final smash. Maybe an avalanche. A huge pile of snow falls on the stage damaging characters, and then leaves the ground icy for the other characters, but still allows the ice climbers to have good traction.

flipping_heck said:
WINNER!!

This thread is only ever to get bigger and bigger

drunk.gif
Whoooo! Drunk Party!

Suburban Cowboy said:
ditto. We should start a class action suit. who knows how many have been tricked

What are you guys talking about, It's not that bad. I thought it was pretty funny. You didn't have to watch it if you didn't want to. Serously, stop overeacting over small things. It was made by the same guy as the other one. You guys thought that was funny..

Tricked? *sigh*

P.S. He did make that one, look at the comments than follow the link.

Chumly

Were up to 19 characters that are going to start the game (not be secret)....With so many characters starting out and not very many stages revealed so far (in comparison) im beginning to wonder if the stages are going to be one of the main things to shoot for to unlock.

GamerSoul

I can't get over how fresh the Ice Climbers look. They've been upgraded from cheap cotton to fur and rubber hammers to wooden ones. Can't wait to see Marth, Sheik, and Capt. Falcon's upgrade. good stuff.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Chumly said:
Were up to 19 characters that are going to start the game (not be secret)....With so many characters starting out and not very many stages revealed so far (in comparison) im beginning to wonder if the stages are going to be one of the main things to shoot for to unlock.

I'm thinking that they want at least one character from each franchise unlocked from start

So is no clones absolutely confirmed?

At the very least, make clones a costume switch. Not like how Mario could look like wario in melee, but actually change the character model.

Example: Say ness is in the game. Pressing Y would switch thru his different outfits, Pressing X would change him into lucas (who would have his own set of outfits to cycle thru.) The characters would remain exactly the same in all other aspects.

Dreavus

But if they went through the time to create brand new models for them (the clones), wouldn't you rather that they tweaked their moves a bit as well? Fox and Falco, Marth and Roy, etc., ended up playing very differently in Melee, despite having the same attack animations, so why pass up that chance for Brawl? The more characters to master the better, I say.

G-Off

Dreavus said:
But if they went through the time to create brand new models for them (the clones), wouldn't you rather that they tweaked their moves a bit as well? Fox and Falco, Marth and Roy, etc., ended up playing very differently in Melee, despite having the same moves, so why pass that chance up again? The more characters to master the better, I say.
But then why not just have whole new characters? His point was, if you are going to have clones, at least make them look different, but take up the same spot on the roster.

Firestorm

Suburban Cowboy said:
So is no clones absolutely confirmed?

At the very least, make clones a costume switch. Not like how Mario could look like wario in melee, but actually change the character model.

Example: Say ness is in the game. Pressing Y would switch thru his different outfits, Pressing X would change him into lucas (who would have his own set of outfits to cycle thru.) The characters would remain exactly the same in all other aspects.

"No Clones" has not been confirmed. The idea of clones has never been mentioned. Ever.

And there is absolutely no point to what you're suggesting. The point of clones (to people who care about gameplay and not MY FAV CHAR EVAR IS IN THIS GAME I MUST BUY AS I AM A WHORE FOR THIS FRANCHISE) is that they give you a new character to play with less time required by the designer.

I mean, what's the point of Falco if he plays exactly like Fox? You might as well play Fox.

G-Off said:
But then why not just have whole new characters? His point was, if you are going to have clones, at least make them look different, but take up the same spot on the roster.

The "roster" is not determined that way. Just because they're selected by switching colours does not make them take any less time to create. You're just making it confusing as now a costume change has given them different stats and moves (notice I say moves, not move animation).

Firestorm said:
(to people who care about gameplay and not MY FAV CHAR EVAR IS IN THIS GAME I MUST BUY AS I AM A WHORE FOR THIS FRANCHISE)

.02%, tops. Clones rock because they are fucking clones. Why would you play Mario when you could be Dr. Mario? Why play Link when you could be Young Link? Why play as Ness at all?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
NeonZ said:
It&#8217;s rumored that this unpredictable character will give birth to a form of martial arts that other characters cannot even see.

My first reaction to this was assuming it was a bad joke dealing with Wario's gas moves.

I'm not sure sure it isn't.

CLONES ONLY RUIN THE FRANCHISE!!!

Oh wait...

4yt5p3o.jpg

Honestly, I think some clones that make sense are kind've cool.

Fox and Falco for example. Obviously they would fight the same and have the same weapons since they were trained by the same academy and are part of the same crew.

Shit like that is really neat, it has like a Ryu/Ken thing goin' on.

Pikachu and Pichu... while I don't like Pichu.. it makes alot've sense. In basic terms for people who don't play Pokemon, a Pichu is a baby Pikachu.

The only clones I DIDN'T like were...

Falcon and Ganondorf... that made no goddamn sense at all. Clones like this should be fixed.

Dr.Mario.. I just didn't like him. It's like they were just reaching for a solid 24 characters and pulled this out their ass.

Clones have been part of fighting games forever, and alot've times it can be cool when it makes sense (Ryu/Ken both being trained by Gouken, Fox/Falco both being trained by the Cornerian Army).

psycho_snake

SuperBanjo said:
I'm not sure if anybody noticed, but this thread is officially the biggest thread ever on NeoGAF.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=replycount
sorry to disappoint you, but its only the biggest thread on the gaming side. The MLB thread and the The official football thread from last season is bigger :p.

However, thread will easily beat the football thread. The football thread had 18851 posts in it, so this one will overtake it very very shortly.

psycho_snake

Suburban Cowboy said:
There isnt much point of that. The only thing that would do is take up one less space on the character select menu. If you're going to include the clone characters, you might as well give them their own space on the character menu.

Haunted

SuperAngelo64 said:
Huge character select screens rule.

Personally I want to see Smash Brawl's on the level of Marvel vs Capcom 2.
How many characters were in MvsC2?

I expect a number in the mid 30s for Brawl. 35+

NeonZ

But wouldn't it be easier to create many characters for MvC because it's a 2D fighter? *shrugs*

It depends. Characters, yes, but Clones can be created easier in 3d fighters than in 2d fighters (unless the only difference is a pallet swap for the 2d clone's looks). If Brawl still has clones, they easily can include a big number of characters, however, if there aren't clones, it'll probably stop around 35 or an even lower number.

psycho_snake

Haunted One said:
How many characters were in MvsC2?

I expect a number in the mid 30s for Brawl. 35+
Thats what I'm expecting too. I'd be happy with that many playable characters.

SuperAngelo64 said:
4zup5kp.jpg

TONS easier.

This is just my wish.
I was always told 2D characters were harder to make because you had to hand draw every animation pixel by pixel or something like that? Dunno...

Anyway i got my wii for this game and im glad ice climbers are in. they were one of the most rumored as "out" :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom