• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
-WindYoshi- said:
Though, is it just me, or does Sakurai seem a little disappointed in the online bit by the way he wrote it? Seems like he wanted to do something more with it.
A little bit. I think he felt that everyone was expecting a perfect online mode but the technology wouldnt let him do what he had in mind.

SantaC

-WindYoshi-: said:
Though, is it just me, or does Sakurai seem a little disappointed in the online bit by the way he wrote it? Seems like he wanted to do something more with it.

Actually I just think he was polite. Everyone knows that it takes 2 to dance for a lag free experience. What I mean is that your connection is also involved how good it will be, not just from nintendos side.

Ironballs

At least he was honest. Now that everyone has realistic expectations of the online, it will be pretty easy to exceed them once people actually start playing the game.

Haunted

The ability to play people across the globe is already an enhancement of the Online mode found in Strikers, which only allowed you to play with people from your own region.

I was a bit miffed when I realised I wouldn't be able to kick the US GAFfer's asses in Strikers. :D here's hoping it'll work without too much lag.

ShockingAlberto said:
Anyway, do any of you Smashers own a 360? What I'll probably end up doing is adding people to my Live list and voice chatting with them on Live while we play Smash. It's my workaround for BWii, too. :p

Oh God, I might actually do that. :lol

Ramenman

Ironballs said:
At least he was honest. Now that everyone has realistic expectations of the online, it will be pretty easy to exceed them once people actually start playing the game.

I think that's exactly what he meant to do, and that's one hell of a clever guy. Just tell people from the very announcement about the cons of your system so that they don't hope crazy things 'til the very last second and then call DISAPOINTMENTON all over NeoGAF.

not sure this is the online im looking for

Seems like there is no matchmaking system, just randomly thrown together opponents. I mean, how can you match make if theres no saved record from your random battles?

Worse yet, theres no guarantee the random play can be set up for 1v1 w/o weapons. We could all reach a certain skill level and want a real challenge, but every time we join a game we are playing against 3 eight year olds who just want to throw pokeballs and run away

Pessimism +5

Akai

Suburban Cowboy said:
Seems like there is no matchmaking system, just randomly thrown together opponents. I mean, how can you match make if theres no saved record from your random battles?
So you'd rather deal with disconnects?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Wow, I missed the announcement, but damn am I happy to hear that Wi-fi will be integrated in things we don't expect that will be announced soon enough.

This basically confirms that I am getting a Wii once I get the money, screw waiting.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't get it. If the damn wi-fi was in there, why all the goddamn beatin around the bush?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Oblivion said:
I don't get it. If the damn wi-fi was in there, why all the goddamn beatin around the bush?

Surprise?

In all honesty, I bet Sakurai just thought he couldn't have completed Smash Bros with all the features by deadline date and wanted to nix online play before cutting down the meat of the game; Single Player, character additions, and multi player.

Teasel

Haunted One said:
The ability to play people across the globe is already an enhancement of the Online mode found in Strikers, which only allowed you to play with people from your own region.

I was a bit miffed when I realised I wouldn't be able to kick the US GAFfer's asses in Strikers. :D here's hoping it'll work without too much lag.
are you sure about that? i did know that worked for random match but that you could still play worldwide with friend codes

ShockingAlberto said:
Anyway, do any of you Smashers own a 360? What I'll probably end up doing is adding people to my Live list and voice chatting with them on Live while we play Smash. It's my workaround for BWii, too. :p

This is genius

I'm really glad that he wrote that he had more wi-fi "services" to unveil, as opposed to modes or options. It gives me hope for voice chat. I would happy even if it were only enabled in friend-play mode.

Hmmmm. We shall see.

No6

Akai said:
So you'd rather deal with disconnects?
Instead of a worthless random-play mode (which will still have disconnects because there's no punishment for disconnecting when you're losing)? Yes. No ranking system or means of flagging/communicating with random players means I'll get a more consistant challenge playing the AI.

No6 said:
Instead of a worthless random-play mode (which will still have disconnects because there's no punishment for disconnecting when you're losing)? Yes. No ranking system or means of flagging/communicating with random players means I'll get a more consistant challenge playing the AI.

Didn't someone say that Pokemon Battle Revolution doesn't display stats or records, but DOES keep them tallied below the surface so that the system can properly match you with other players? Maybe this will be like that.

Sharp

I can't believe how down you all are about the online mode. Seriously, every time I suggested that online was probably in I got shot down instantly by pretty much everyone, and even the most optimistic (i.e. I) thought that it would probably be two-player at most. There was even a thread about whether we'd all be disappointed when Smash didn't have online, and most people seemed to agree. I just can't believe that now that we have confirmation of worldwide online play, ranked friendly matches (which is kind of stupid but makes sense from the casual perspective), four-player online, home run derby reconfirmation, and more Wifi modes to come all in the same update, people are using it as an excuse to trash the game, Sakurai and Nintendo. I'm not naming any names, but some people came into this thread for this first time just to express their displeasure with the quality of the online multiplayer. Can we please just revel in the revelation of an awesome feature that not many of us were expecting and that will really enhance the game for a lot of us? Please?

l_c

Banned
hahah who is that dude that did a ban bet with me saying this game wouldnt have online. he needs to be banned :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

No6

Sharp said:
I'm not naming any names, but some people came into this thread for this first time just to express their displeasure with the quality of the online multiplayer. Can we please just revel in the revelation of an awesome feature that not many of us were expecting and that will really enhance the game for a lot of us? Please?
The inclusion of online means I'll get the game week one, but I don't consider basic online multiplayer to be "awesome" or particularly worth of praise. Online in a multiplayer game releasing at the end of 2007 shouldn't even be in question.

Neomoto

Sharp said:
I can't believe how down you all are about the online mode. Seriously, every time I suggested that online was probably in I got shot down instantly by pretty much everyone, and even the most optimistic (i.e. I) thought that it would probably be two-player at most. There was even a thread about whether we'd all be disappointed when Smash didn't have online, and most people seemed to agree. I just can't believe that now that we have confirmation of worldwide online play, ranked friendly matches (which is kind of stupid but makes sense from the casual perspective), four-player online, home run derby reconfirmation, and more Wifi modes to come all in the same update, people are using it as an excuse to trash the game, Sakurai and Nintendo. I'm not naming any names, but some people came into this thread for this first time just to express their displeasure with the quality of the online multiplayer. Can we please just revel in the revelation of an awesome feature that not many of us were expecting and that will really enhance the game for a lot of us? Please?
Yeah indeed. I don't know but lately everywhere I look I always see people complaining and bitching about fucking everything on gamingboards. Goddamm people, be gratefull that we even get such a packfull game as Brawl. It doesn't get any better than this (no matter what platform), and we still have lots to look forward to that will be announced for this game. It's just NEVER enough right? Damned if you do, damned if you don't seems to be the rule lately, especially when it comes to Wii software nowadays.

Threi said:
Knowing nintendo there will be a swear filter.
Knowing how many fucktards keep/will be sueing Nintendo [otherwise], yes, yes indeed there will be a swear filter.

jeffy_johnson said:
heh, Now I know why they closed down the Nsider forums... they knew this was coming.
How come? (Seriously, I don't know) Because of the excitement or..?

BrendenLee said:
Only 75 more days!!!
You know the feeling when someone puts salt in your open wound and than steps on it and rubs the feet in it?

Yeah.. :(

Neomoto said:
Yeah indeed. I don't know but lately everywhere I look I always see people complaining and bitching about fucking everything on gamingboards. Goddamm people, be gratefull that we even get such a packfull game as Brawl. It doesn't get any better than this (no matter what platform), and we still have lots to look forward to that will be announced for this game. It's just NEVER enough right? Damned if you do, damned if you don't seems to be the rule lately, especially when it comes to Wii software nowadays.

Amen to that

Sharp

No6 said:
The inclusion of online means I'll get the game week one, but I don't consider basic online multiplayer to be "awesome" or particularly worth of praise. Online in a multiplayer game releasing at the end of 2007 shouldn't even be in question.
Was it so different when VF5 was released in the beginning of 2007, or has some sort of paradigm shift occurred over the year that I was not aware of? There aren't a whole lot of fighters online, even today. Personally I did expect online multiplayer, but that doesn't make the confirmation any less awesome for me. It must have had some impact for you, or you wouldn't be buying the game.

Another note... I will definitely NOT play the online mode this time and take my time with the single player... Meaning this will end up like Striker's character selection screen where all the SECRET characters are already revealed... what a major spoiler ya know? Pretty much a 100% smash character/secret stuff/modes I wouldnt want to spoil.

So.. yeah online for me maybe 08 or once i get 100% everything.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Sharp said:
Personally I did expect online multiplayer, but that doesn't make the confirmation any less awesome for me. It must have had some impact for you, or you wouldn't be buying the game.
Thats the reason why the online play confirmation just isnt such a big deal to me. I was expecting it to be in the game from the beginning. They had it in mario strikers and they said that it would be in mario kart, so why would they not include it for this game? If I had any real doubts about online for brawl, then this announcement would be a big deal for me, but thats not the case. It was more a matter of when it would be announced rather than if it would be announced.

I'm still exited about online play though. It should be fun. Brawl is the perfect game to play online.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
ari said:
voice chat wouldn't work for a game like this. Just imagine the 12 year olds and grown ass man yelling at the same time. clusterfuck total.

So, not been on XBL yet then?

No6

Sharp said:
Was it so different when VF5 was released in the beginning of 2007, or has some sort of paradigm shift occurred over the year that I was not aware of?
No, there was a lot of complaining then, too. Of course, the... VFDF made all sorts of claims about how the lack of online was good, or how online wouldn't work (similar claims were made regarding SSB, too, although they rang just a bit hollow since by then we knew VF5 360 would have online).
There aren't a whole lot of fighters online, even today.
VF, DOA, Tekken (?), SF3, SF2, Guilty Gear on the Xbox, etc. If a mediocre $10 XBLA SSB clone can have online, I expect a 1st party Nintendo game, the sequel to the highest selling GC game, with millions and millions of dollars for development, to have online.
Personally I did expect online multiplayer, but that doesn't make the confirmation any less awesome for me. It must have had some impact for you, or you wouldn't be buying the game.
I was always going to buy the game, but no online meant I could wait a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom