• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSoul

Mona is quite adventurous, and, according to the WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ instruction manual, she is savvy, thinks Wario is always one degree ahead of cool, and likes money (this is indicated when she asks if the player will pay her for teaching him or her). It also shows Wario has inspired most of her strange games. She also likes wild guys.

There is evidence, primarily gleaned from the first two games, that suggests that Wario and Mona share a mutual attraction. In Mega Party Game$!, Mona's bio[2] mentions that she is a bit smitten with him, and in one of the cinemas of Mega Microgame$, Wario dreams of her while muttering the phrase "So cute."

Weird.

papercut said:
If we're to get more WarioWare characters, it might as well be Kat and Ana. They're already fighters! Plus it would be cool to have another two-in-one character ala Ice Climbers.

I was thinking a set up like that for them could work. Another way would be being able to change them on the fly, i mean faster than Zelda's transformation so combos are possible. Too bad they won't be in, Ninjas are always welcomed.

Chumly

Jiggy37 said:
We've never had two character profiles on consecutive update days before, but I guess there's always a possibility when it's Sakurai.
Bah! Its ok I'd love to see another stage tonight.

Does anybody have a clue how Sonic would even work as a character? I just don't see how you could come up with a full move set for him. He has his spin dash and that's about it. Unlike Mario, he is really lacking in the power-up department. He has his shields, super speed, and invincibility. That's pretty much it. Megaman, on the other hand, has tons of options to work with including a Rush Spring attack for his up B along with loads of different projectiles.

Firestorm

ratcliffja said:
Does anybody have a clue how Sonic would even work as a character? I just don't see how you could come up with a full move set for him. He has his spin dash and that's about it. Unlike Mario, he is really lacking in the power-up department. He has his shields, super speed, and invincibility. That's pretty much it. Megaman, on the other hand, has tons of options to work with including a Rush Spring attack for his up B along with loads of different projectiles.

Does anybody have a clue how Captain Falcon would even work as a character? I just don't see how you could come up with a full move set for him. He has his [insert something] and that's about it. Unlike Mario, he is really lacking in the power-up department. He has his absolutely nothing. That's pretty much it. Megaman, on the other hand, has tons of options to work with including a Rush Spring attack for his up B along with loads of different projectiles.

Does anybody have a clue how Mr. Game & Watch would even work as a character? I just don't see how you could come up with a full move set for him. He has his [insert something] and that's about it. Unlike Mario, he is really lacking in the power-up department. He has his absolutely nothing. That's pretty much it. Megaman, on the other hand, has tons of options to work with including a Rush Spring attack for his up B along with loads of different projectiles.

Does anybody have a clue how Ice Climbers would even work as a character? I just don't see how you could come up with a full move set for him. They have their [insert something] and that's about it. Unlike Mario, he is really lacking in the power-up department. They have absolutely nothing. That's pretty much it. Megaman, on the other hand, has tons of options to work with including a Rush Spring attack for his up B along with loads of different projectiles.

Does anybody have a clue how Peach would even work as a character? I just don't see how you could come up with a full move set for him. She has her frying pan and turnips and that's about it. Unlike Mario, she is really lacking in the power-up department. He has his absolutely nothing. That's pretty much it. Megaman, on the other hand, has tons of options to work with including a Rush Spring attack for his up B along with loads of different projectiles.

etc.

ohamsie

ratcliffja said:

There's a couple different moves he could 'borrow' from other characters. Just off the top of my head there's fox's forward B, Jigglypuff's rollout would be kind of interesting, he could do a buzzsaw move that sucks other characters in for multiple hits like Mario tornado, stuff like that. There's probably a bunch more moves he has that could be useable, but I'm not a huge Sonic fan.

PkunkFury

Firestorm said:
Does anybody have a clue how Mr. Game & Watch would even work as a character? I just don't see how you could come up with a full move set for him. He has his [insert something] and that's about it. Unlike Mario, he is really lacking in the power-up department. He has his absolutely nothing. That's pretty much it. Megaman, on the other hand, has tons of options to work with including a Rush Spring attack for his up B along with loads of different projectiles.

actually, all of G&W's moves came right out of his games. He's one of the best conceived movesets as far as staying true to the source material is concerned. This is one reason i'd be really disappointed if he doesn't return.

but yeah, Falcon and IC are more made up than Sonic would be. Still I'd rather see a charcter with a moveset that writes itself, like Belmont, Megaman or Bubsy

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
He could probably use some of the attacks from Sonic 3 with the special powerups, like the mid-air Fireball attack being his Forward+B. He'd definitely have to have the Spin Dash as his Down+B, complete with high-pitched "revving" noises with every press of the B-button.

As for the others, who knows? Tails could fly in and carry him for his Up+B? Could have free movement around the arena for a limited time, provided Tails can reach him fast enough (plus you'd be slow while doing it and an easy target)

Jiggy

I'm sure Sonic has to have at least some kind of leg strength to be able to run that fast, so they could probably give him some kick-oriented offense.

Somnid

What the hell? Sonic was in at least 2 fighting games (Sonic Battle and Sonic Championship). What's not to know? It's been done before.

ratcliffja said:
Don't you remember 'Sonic The Fighters' game?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pf4msgD77OA

:D

Somnid

IfAllElseFailsUseFire said:
what if when the game finally hits the shelves we discover snake is the only third party character?

I'm actually not sure. I don't think anything is a given anymore, as we get closer to release with no more characters revealed and even fewer chances (TGS was the last "look at me world!" chance now it'd be up to a special press event) it seems less likely. It'd still be rather awkward to have Sonic & Mario with no Sonic in Smash though.

what if when the game finally hits the shelves we discover snake is the only third party character?
That is actually what I would prefer. Because it would mean more development time went into Nintendo characters instead of 3rd party characters. I can live with that! :D

Jiggy

I actually wouldn't care as long as that translated into more good first-party characters--but to only have one third-party character would be going back on what was originally said and planned. In that sense, I guess I'd be slightly disappointed in Sakurai.

papercut

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to realize that I don't really want 3rd party characters in Smash. It's supposed to be Nintendo's tribute to itself, and hence I'd rather Nintendo dig further into their own character stockpiles than add in outsiders like Sonic. Snake STILL feels out of place to me.

The game will be awesome no matter what, but I seriously don't want this turning into some sort of fighter's megamix with Megaman and Belmont and god knows who else.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
papercut said:
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to realize that I don't really want 3rd party characters in Smash. It's supposed to be Nintendo's tribute to itself, and hence I'd rather Nintendo dig further into their own character stockpiles than add in outsiders like Sonic. Snake STILL feels out of place to me.

The game will be awesome no matter what, but I seriously don't want this turning into some sort of fighter's megamix with Megaman and Belmont and god knows who else.

Why? Fighting games live and die on the characters. Are the farther you reach out the more variety you can get in the game

papercut said:

Well, it's a good thing for me you're not making the game.

layzie1989 said:
His Up B could spawn one of those bumper things that bounces him up
That's a very good idea. It works as both a recovery and an attack. I'm not saying that Sonic can't work as a fighter, I'm saying that I had a tough time thinking of how they could come up with a Smash special move set. I thought of Captain Falcon, but considering he never fought outside his vehicle before Smash, they could start with a blank slate. Sonic is a character that's done plenty of fighting, but primarily through spin dashing and jumping on his enemies.

papercut

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, it's a good thing for me you're not making the game.

We'll see what happens with the final product :p

I'm still waiting for Pikmin, Advance Wars, Custom Robo, etc. I guess that eventually they're going to have to throw in more 3rd party characters as the Nintendo well dries up, but I don't see that happening with this installment.

mclem

Scribble said:
Heh, I'm hoping that Subspace Emissary will play more like a side scrolling Treasure-esque beat-em-up and not try too hard to be a platformer.
Hmmmmmm.

First thought: "The last game I can think of that just about did that right was Viewtiful Joe".

Then I got thinking further.

Sakurai said:
So it was that Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto introduced me to a "particular team" that had just completed a large-scale game.

Until the day comes when I can announce the team's name, I shall simply refer to them as "The Studio."
... just *when* did Clover finish Okami?

NeonZ

layzie1989 said:
His Up B could spawn one of those bumper things that bounces him up

1st/2nd jump = normal jump
3rd jump/Up B = classic 2d spin jump

Paralleling Mario, whose classic 2d jump is an Up B attack in SSB, not a simple jump.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Holy Order Sol said:
Or it could be is Homing Jump. Same animation as Pikachu's Up+B.

See, I was thinking that too at first, but wouldn't that be incredibly gimped as a move? How would it target an opponent?

If someone was falling off of the same side as you and was below you as you pulled it off, would the Homing Attack aim down at the opponent?

Milabrega

papercut said:
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to realize that I don't really want 3rd party characters in Smash. It's supposed to be Nintendo's tribute to itself, and hence I'd rather Nintendo dig further into their own character stockpiles than add in outsiders like Sonic. Snake STILL feels out of place to me..

Snake still feels out of place for me as well, but he is here to stay. In my mind however MGS still goes hand and hand with sony systems But MGS has appeared on nintendo console's!!! I know I know even after the snake in brawl move, Metal Gear games are going to sony systems. But snake did open the door for more characters that although third party feel more like a nintendo character ( due to constant quality games on nintendo consoles )

Snake also seems out of place because he is the only third party character confirmed. He'll seem more in place when his stage and final smash are shown though =).

SovanJedi said:
See, I was thinking that too at first, but wouldn't that be incredibly gimped as a move? How would it target an opponent?

If someone was falling off of the same side as you and was below you as you pulled it off, would the Homing Attack aim down at the opponent?

It could work like Falcon Dive. That tends to grab the nearest opponent, but you have to be really close, and it always goes up no matter what.

Haunted

After Samurai Goroh, arguably the second most popular F-Zero character not making it as a playable, I don't think that Black Bull or Pico or the Dr. will have a chance to do so.

No announcement for another big third party character at TGS actually made me a bit nervous about the number of third party characters. I think it could happen, and it certainly would be a small letdown after all the anticipation and speculation about other 3rd party chars.

oh, and I'm predicting Peach's or Snake's final Smash for Monday.

Anyone who doesn't want Sonic in Brawl simply has a personal vendetta against the character or Sega.

That's really all there is to it.

"B-but! Sega was Nintendo's rival! This is about Nintendo stars of the past!"

Like it's been stated a billion times; Sega is third party now, they make games for Nintendo.

The fact Sega was once a giant competitor and has now fallen to it's knees, surrendered, then made games FOR Nintendo is probably a more 'legendary' and, from my point of view 'shocking' (at the time, seeing Sonic on a Gamecube was like Twilight Zone shit) than anything regarding franchises in gaming in the past.

Honestly, the amount of Sonic games made for the Gamecube/GBA/DS/Wii already produced in this short amount of time since Sega's ship sunk is STAGGERING compared to any other company aside from Sega themselves.

Firestorm

I still remember getting my Nintendo Power issue with Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the cover. That just felt off.

I don't mind too much if there are no more third party characters. It'd be nice, but I'm more interested in how the characters play anyway. If they aren't any fun to play, I don't care how popular they are. There are characters in SSB and Melee I'd never heard of until I played the games and I like 'em just as much as any other characters in the game.

MrCheez said:
F-zero_wp_m04_baba_800.jpg

I don't think it has anything to do with the popularity of japanese character design. Whatever way you slice and dice it, these guys are just HIDEOS!

Gaaaaaahh.....
*blinded*
My eyes!!!!!!!!!! It's hideous!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Anybody that thinks Sakurai wont be able to do a FANTASTIC 2-D platformer needs to check his resume. Granted the one in Melee sucked, but thats because it was an obvious afterthought.

Subspace wont have anything to envy to gems like Kirby's Adventure/Superstar by the time theyre done (which must be right about now, since theyre most probably in beta, art locked and in full testing mode to tweak balancing issues)

): ˙ɥsɐɯs lɐuıɟ ɐ ɹo ˙ʎɹɐuıpɹo ǝɥʇ ɟo ʇno ʎlǝʇǝldɯoɔ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ʇɔıpǝɹd ı

Firestorm

Raging Spaniard said:
Anybody that thinks Sakurai wont be able to do a FANTASTIC 2-D platformer needs to check his resume. Granted the one in Melee sucked, but thats because it was an obvious afterthought.

Subspace wont have anything to envy to gems like Kirby's Adventure/Superstar by the time theyre done (which must be right about now, since theyre most probably in beta, art locked and in full testing mode to tweak balancing issues)

Not really an afterthought, just held back by Miyamoto who told Sakurai to stfu and concentrate on multiplayer.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Firestorm said:
Not really an afterthought, just held back by Miyamoto who told Sakurai to stfu and concentrate on multiplayer.

Source for that?

Edit: Not doubting you, it just sounds interesting

I'm hoping we still get 64 and Melee stages, only a more diverse set from the original than the three Battlefield variants Melee chose. SSB's Mushroom Kingdom was probably my favorite retro Mario stage.

jrricky

Banned
WOW. Snakes music is AWESOMEEEEEEE. I keep listening to it again and again and...

Oh, and whats up with that title change?

EDIT: music title is weird...wouldve never guest it as a love scene, sounds like something action packed.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom