• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast |OT|

haikira

Decided to move the reviews for the new page and I've updated them.

Reviews

RockPaperShotgun.com
The team that made this game understood survival horror. Outlast takes the ideas of predecessors and runs them through an incredibly talented set of individuals to produce a slick, brilliant experience. Its claim of “scariest game ever” will likely put it under some fire, particularly from connoisseurs of the genre, and especially with Machine For Pigs turning up at a similar time. But what it can definitely claim to be is a great game. It’s not a simple excuse for gore and violence, nor is it only interested in shocking you with a sudden scream and blood splattered visage. It wants to horrify. It’ll also intrigue, terrify and surprise you in equal measure.

RelyOnHorror.com 10/10

Boody-Disgusting.com 9.5/10

gamrReview 9.5/10

GamingTrend 93/100
Really, any review of a horror game can be summed up in a three word interrogative: “Is it scary?” You better believe it is. Outlast is the scariest game/movie/book I’ve consumed since Amnesia: The Dark Descent. What’s most amazing is that very few of the scares felt cheap, or unearned. Red Barrels have done a fantastic job combining an intensely disquieting setting, a unique visual look, and an incredibly effective camera gimmick to ensure that nobody escapes Mount Massive without a few nightmares.

Edge.com 9/10
And that balance is key to Outlast’s success. While there’s rarely any let up in the tension, it always feels like you’re in the hands of a developer at the top of its game, revelling in making the player uncomfortable, but never forgetting to delight at the same time. Outlast’s combination of stealth, platforming and horror is exceptional, the benefits of the diverse experience of its highly talented development team always in plain sight.

GameFront.com 90/100

Joystiq 4.5/5
If most games are measured by how many times they can be replayed, true horror games can be measured by how many times its players want to stop playing. Those moments when the stress of running and hiding and worrying about every single little sound become too much, and the paranoia eats away at your sanity until you feel trapped. You want to quit – to escape – but you can't, because you have to get out of the asylum, to see it through to the end. Outlast perfects this self-inflicted madness in every area of its design, and it's absolutely petrifying. I love it.

VentureBeat.com 89/100
I can’t say that Outlast is a “fun” game. It’s stressful and terrifying in a way that most recent horror games can’t match. The frights found in Outlast are nothing new. I’ve seen them in other horror games and movies many, many times. I’m jaded, I told myself. This stuff shouldn’t affect me — but it did. Other reviewers might tell you to play it in the dark with headphones on to get the full effect. I say play it in a brightly lit room surrounded by pictures of kittens. The heart can only take so much.

GamesRadar 4/5

ThunderboltGames.com 8/10
Outlast’s horror isn’t for everyone and you’ll get what you put in. Lights off and headphones on is a must. Allow yourself to fall deep in Red Barrels’ asylum and the reward is a frightening descent into the bowels of man’s search for greatness. The sound design is exceptional – even more so when considering this is a lower budget production – and the weight of the world is tight. If you adored Monolith’s Condemned this will be the surprise hit of 2013.

BlisteredThumbs.net 8/10
I don’t mean to suggest that Outlast is a numbing experience. There’s an impeccable personality to this game, as exuded in its great level design and personable characters. Yes, characters–there are actually a significant amount of worthy baddies here, and many of them are horrifying. The knife wielding twin brothers who call dibs on your internal organs are a highlight, particularly for the reserved, casual, and totally naked manner in which they stalk you, maddening junk just… swaying in the insane wind.

GameTrailers.com 7.8/10

IGN 7.8/10

Polygon.com 7.5/10
It speaks to Outlast’s ingenuity that even absent that crucial source of terror, it still managed to wring a few dozen startled yelps out of me by the time it reached its conclusion. Yes, Outlast’s blind corners and pitch black sewers possess an illusion of danger greater than the actual threat posed by the monsters they hide. But really, illusions of danger are all games are capable of conjuring — and Outlast conjures them up relentlessly.

Gamespot.com 7/10

Good scores, no pre-load sucks balls though. My internet sucks and having yesterday to download it and then playing today would have been great. Now I won't be able to play it until tomorrow likely.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
I decided to go ahead and grab it while the discount is still available after reading some of the reviews. I won't get a chance to fire it up until probably Sunday night though!

jaaz

No pre-loading sucks. Oh well. I can't play this when it's light outside anyways. This game is meant to be played at night, with headphones. Hold me...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Even if you decrease those review scores by 20% to adjust for review score inflation, this game is scoring pretty darn well. And I doubt this dev actually has the money to put in a hat.

Excited for spooks!

AkuMifune

Banned
With 40 minutes to go at 20% discount, bought. Still going through Silent Hill 2 (PC version) in anticipation of this and amnesia, and forgot just how awesome a game that is. Such BS it's not on Steam. Can't believe what a cock up the HD collection was.

Regardless, really looking forward to this tonight. Big picture mode, headphones, a fat spliff and an extra pair of underwear.

Does this thread also double as a support group?

Brick

Just nabbed both this and A Machine For Pigs on Steam. Gonna be a sleepless couple of weeks, methinks.

Also, if anyone is considering picking this up now that all of these positive reviews are coming out, the pre-order discount on Steam is only good for 30 more min.

Wow, genuinely surprised at the reviews. The game is still 20% off for the next 10 minutes so I think I'm going to bite.
Edit: Oh, because it's not released yet. It shows up on the New Releases list so I thought it was.

Ugh, I thought we were spared of Patrick QL's since he moved. That is true horror.

you haven't been on GB lately have you?

I have a feeling for anyone who plays Horror games regularly, this game might not be the amazingly terrifying experience everyone is saying. All these reviewers likely don't play horror games often and are easily freaked out. But I will remain optimistic

Animator

Fucking steam goddamit. I need to start the dl and go to work and it is not working even though it says it is out now. :(

I have a feeling for anyone who plays Horror games regularly, this game might not be the amazingly terrifying experience everyone is saying. All these reviewers likely don't play horror games often and are easily freaked out. But I will remain optimistic

Why don't you test it out yourself? Will await your impressions, oh veteran of horror games.

My concern is the reliance on jump scares it seems to have, HOWEVER, the atmosphere seems claustrophobic and full of lingering terror. We'll see how it all turns out.

My concern is the reliance on jump scares it seems to have, HOWEVER, the atmosphere seems claustrophobic and full of lingering terror. We'll see how it all turns out.

Same, but then again it's all been promotional stuff shown and they're hardly gonna show sections with not a lot happening.

Install works now, restart steam!

ron-paul.gif

Ready to shit my pants.

Grief.exe

There's no timer, it says "play it now" but nothing is happening. Thanks, Gaben.

Its not up to Valve when a game gets released, the developer have to manually update the database entry to reflect the release state.

10 minutes ago, they pushed an update allowing you guys to download and play Outlast.

I cam here to let you guys know, but I see you are already way ahead of me. Have fun guys!

AkuMifune

Banned
Game could have a better name I guess. Just thinking out loud.

Already bought, but do we know if this has puzzles or any other gameplay elements? Seems like maybe exploring, running and hiding? I'm down with that. Just curious.

Top Bottom