• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris announced for PS3, WiiU, Vita and 3DS

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Panel de Pon is godly.

No joke. I... really don't understand how the series has slept so quietly over these years. It's nice that it's referenced in Smash Bros., but why isn't a P'd'Pon game a requisite release on every Nintendo Hardware? : /

Anywho... Yay, Puyo! Along with the upcoming US Vita release of Sei Madou Monogatari, that's... a lot of Puyo-offshoot related news lately...

Eric C

US release? Please!

Hate Nintendo's region locks, I'd have no problem importing a game like this. I imported several Puyo Puyo games for the DS.

Might have to get a Vita after all.

TreIII

Sweet.

Here's hoping the fact that they're talking 4 different SKUs means they have ambitions of releasing it outside of Japan. Because what would be the point of 4 versions in one territory, otherwise...?

Sweet.

Here's hoping the fact that they're talking 4 different SKUs means they have ambitions of releasing it outside of Japan. Because what would be the point of 4 versions in one territory, otherwise...?

The Puyo games have always released on multiple SKUs. Typically it'd have a main platform (the Nintendo DS, for the past three games) that it releases on first, then a few months later it releases on the rest of them. It's an extremely long tail selling proposition.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Tetris for single player, Puyo Puyo for multiplayer.

What more do you need?

Sweet.

The last few Puyo games were released for DS/PSP/Wii/3DS (20th Anniversary)

Edit: Beaten

TreIII

The Puyo games have always released on multiple SKUs. Typically it'd have a main platform (the Nintendo DS, for the past three games) that it releases on first, then a few months later it releases on the rest of them. It's an extremely long tail selling proposition.

Ah, I see.

But educate me, did they always announce all the versions together, this far in advance before?

Ah, I see.

But educate me, did they always announce all the versions together, this far in advance before?

Nah, they've saved the port announcements for a later date. So that's a departure from previous entries. Not to mention this is the first Puyo game that's coming out for an HD console. Either they're switching up strategies for a new generation or they figure the mass appeal of Tetris makes Day 1 multiplatform a better business plan.

KcnmHqp.jpg

LEUeWHH.png

^ Heh, I was gonna say something like "Tetris & Dr. Mario 2?" earlier, but I forgot by the time I finished reading through posts before posting.

Tetris & Dr. Mario is really great, by the way. I still play it every now and then. Probably my favorite versions of both, and the multiplayer is great.

I do sorta prefer Puyo Puyo, though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this is...and hoping that it gets a release outside of Japan. I've been wanting a new, online Puyo Puyo game in the U.S. for ages now.

I didn't realize how much I have been craving an addictive puzzle game until this announcement. Please be awesome and not a mess!!!

Shoyz

Sweet! Was hoping we'd see a PuyoPuyo for Vita, and the series has seemed kind of stagnant with its anniversary versions. Hopefully this'll breathe new life into it.

RM8

What. Amazing, I need it. I want it on 3DS, but I'll probably end up buying it on PS3 because of region lock + no localization :(

Solune

I don't want a new Tetris Attack. I mean, I would buy a new one (Puzzle League), but what I really want is Tetris Attack on Virtual Console. PLEASE NINTENDO.

But if it was included in a xover like this. Puyo X Panel De Pon X Tetris, that would be incredible.

Since it seems like Sega (and Sonic Team?) is developing, what worries me is that in the past two games their billboard NEW GAMEPLAY MODE (Super Transformation and Pair Puyo) have been, despite being obviously designed with a low skill level in mind, hideously unbalanced messes that actually make it much harder for newbies to win. Hopefully the cross mode won't end up like that.

I've been wondering why there's no Puyo on iOS or Android. Maybe soon?

There's a Puzzle & Dragons clone out in Japan that's been making Sega bank.

remz

yoooo that really old version of Tetris Sega made was the shit. I'm interested, even if their gimmicks for puyo puyo can be weird as shit.

Top Bottom