• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
ant1532 said:
Let's take it back real quick and talk about are Smash Melee ways. Who do you main as and list your secondary characters if you have any. And do you play at tourney level?(Can you compete with kids at Smashboards, etc)

1.Samus (Main)
2.Ness
3.Link
4.Mario

I play at a pretty high level. Two of my friends from home are really big in the smash scene. In fact, one of them is among the best Ganon players in the country, and the other is arguably the best Sheik, and top 5 Luigis. No kidding.

Anyway, those guys destroy me if we get some serious matches going, but I'm good enough to keep things interesting, which is saying something.

Mains:
1. Ganon- Ganon is my favorite character to play as, bar none. And after a few years training with those friends, my Ganon is quick. For reals.
2. Falco- Because lasers and shine combos are fun, and I need someone to fall back on when I realize that Ganon is a slow piece of shit. If I'm playing to WIN, Falco's my man.
3. Bowser- My love for Bowser probably stems from my love of Ganon. I like the heavy-hitters. Also, it's fun to surprise people who have never seen a good Bowser. He's probably third in line as far as play-time goes, but not for serious matches, because, well. He sucks. A lot.
4. Fox- If you want to be serious about one member of the Starfox crew, you'd better play both of them IMO. Despite their differences, learning techniques for one can help improve your skills with the other. For instance, I couldn't short-hop with Fox for shit at first. Then I started getting serious about Falco, and practiced short-hop-laser a lot. This helped me get my quick-finger movements down, and--miraculously-- I could short-hop with Fox. Actually, a weird development in the last few months: I was practicing double-shl with Fox a lot, and the only way to really pull that off is by sh'ing with the stick. Anyway, I got so good at stick-hopping that now I use it for all my Fox shffl's, and it's sped up my Fox pretty dramatically.
5. Game&Watch- He sucks, a lot, but I love him. Another one of those surprise characters. Not many people have played a good 'Watch.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"9:16 a.m.: Smash Bros. will have full Wi-Fi multiplayer capabilities. Lots of new levels and many new characters, including Sonic the Hedgehog. A "unique way of sharing between users, even online," according to Iwata -- this relates to some user-created content for the WI-Fi service in relation to Smash Bros., sounds like."

If Smash has a level editor...

best
game
ever

JCX

ant1532 said:
Let's take it back real quick and talk about are Smash Melee ways. Who do you main as and list your secondary characters if you have any. And do you play at tourney level?(Can you compete with kids at Smashboards, etc)

1.Samus (Main)
2.Ness
3.Link
4.Mario

1.Marth
2.Ice climbers
3.Pikachu
4.Peach

The first tournament I was in I got destroyed since I had never heard of wavedashing until the day before

Linkhero1

GaimeGuy said:
"9:16 a.m.: Smash Bros. will have full Wi-Fi multiplayer capabilities. Lots of new levels and many new characters, including Sonic the Hedgehog. A "unique way of sharing between users, even online," according to Iwata -- this relates to some user-created content for the WI-Fi service in relation to Smash Bros., sounds like."

If Smash has a level editor...

best
game
ever
OMG if they delay it for that and Megaman I'd be happy.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm shocked people actually thought that the JP delay wouldn't affect the NA release.

I'm more shocked that people are whining about this. It's not like there isn't already too many games this holiday anyway.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
WastingPenguins said:
I play at a pretty high level. Two of my friends from home are really big in the smash scene. In fact, one of them is among the best Ganon players in the country, and the other is arguably the best Sheik, and top 5 Luigis. No kidding.

Anyway, those guys destroy me if we get some serious matches going, but I'm good enough to keep things interesting, which is saying something.

Mains:
1. Ganon- Ganon is my favorite character to play as, bar none. And after a few years training with those friends, my Ganon is quick. For reals.
2. Falco- Because lasers and shine combos are fun, and I need someone to fall back on when I realize that Ganon is a slow piece of shit. If I'm playing to WIN, Falco's my man.
3. Bowser- My love for Bowser probably stems from my love of Ganon. I like the heavy-hitters. Also, it's fun to surprise people who have never seen a good Bowser. He's probably third in line as far as play-time goes, but not for serious matches, because, well. He sucks. A lot.
4. Fox- If you want to be serious about one member of the Starfox crew, you'd better play both of them IMO. Despite their differences, learning techniques for one can help improve your skills with the other. For instance, I couldn't short-hop with Fox for shit at first. Then I started getting serious about Falco, and practiced short-hop-laser a lot. This helped me get my quick-finger movements down, and--miraculously-- I could short-hop with Fox. Actually, a weird development in the last few months: I was practicing double-shl with Fox a lot, and the only way to really pull that off is by sh'ing with the stick. Anyway, I got so good at stick-hopping that now I use it for all my Fox shffl's, and it's sped up my Fox pretty dramatically.
5. Game&Watch- He sucks, a lot, but I love him. Another one of those surprise characters. Not many people have played a good 'Watch.

my friend and I play basically pro-level G&Ws. He would be a great character if he wasn't so light, had such a bad shield, and such a horrible roll & dodge.

NimbusD

Hot damned, this has been one hell of a week. When I saw sonic I literally spit out iced tea all over my monitor.

Kinda wish his moves were a bit more varied though, I guess it makes sense to use his moveset from the games but Im having a bit of an issue with his UP B, just seems random that a spring would just pop out, they could have thought of something better to pull out from his catalog of games I think. Or how about, if any ever used to read the sonic comics as a kid (I wonder if they still make those, they were the ish) he used to have a move were when he ran his legs would make like a figure eight streak and he could like hover or fly for a bit using that, I think that would be better.

I really hope there are some cool sonic items in this game, especially items from sonic 3, like the bubble/electric/fire sheilds with the double jump powers included. Or even more random things like in I think it was marble hill zone where there where these conic platforms that hovered and flew when you ran on them in place, that would be sweet. Man sonic would have the best items.

I also hope either tales, knuckles, or Dr. Robotnik make it in (as long as they dont call him eggman...)

God this is awesome, they made him look so cool, Im going to go download sonic 3 from the virtual console.

Oh, I was also thinking, they should add crash bandicoot in, just for the hell of it, cuz it would be funny.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
9:16 a.m.: Smash Bros. will have full Wi-Fi multiplayer capabilities. Lots of new levels and many new characters, including Sonic the Hedgehog. A "unique way of sharing between users, even online," according to Iwata -- this relates to some user-created content for the WI-Fi service in relation to Smash Bros., sounds like.

I like!

Haunted

oh, and woah:

A "unique way of sharing between users, even online," according to Iwata -- this relates to some user-created content for the WI-Fi service in relation to Smash Bros., sounds like.
Totally missed this before.

edit: oh man, beaten like Firestorm in a one-on-one with items enabled. :(

ckohler

GaimeGuy said:

Trophy/sticker trading?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Haunted One said:
oh, and woah:

Totally missed this before.

edit: oh man, beaten like Firestorm in a one-on-one with items enabled. :(

Its OK I still wuvs you

Darkpen

Banned
CassSept said:
Did any thread before reach 30k posts?
Also, if youre making avatars, can you make me one of ZSS and Snake:D ?
samus-snake.gif

EDIT:
changed a bit to look like its a photograph :O (and mainly for a border)

samus-snake2.gif

Ramenman

Lists of characters in the demo at NOA's event :

Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Fox, Pikachu, Diddy Kong, Pit, Meta Knight, Ike, Peach, Yoshi, Sonic, Bowser and a random button

OMG RANDOM BUT... er, sorry.

Samus is in, anyway.

Edit : Game is demoed with classic controller.

Picz :

live-blog-nintendo-media-summit-2007-20071011094316680.jpg

Haunted

Ramenman said:
Lists of characters in the demo at NOA's event :

OMG RANDOM BUT... er, sorry.

Samus is in, anyway.
I'm following the live blog as well. Sounds like the Wiimote only control scheme is as useless as I imagined. I appreciate the 4 control scheme options Sakurai implemented, but I don't think Wiimote only will be very popular with people.

oh, and GAF's own Kobun Heat is playing the game right now. damn you, Kobun!
emot-argh.gif

February....okay. As long as it IS February. Games that get delayed into Jan/Feb often get further delayed, it's not uncommon for them to release in the next year's holiday season. I can wait a couple of months. A year might turn me into a "videogames make people violent" poster child.

Ramenman

9:47 a.m.: Link and Sonic are now fighting in the Star Fox level. Wow. The ship is flying through wormholes as you battle. Other craft soar by in the foreground and background. Extremely gorgeous. So clean and amazingly fast with detailed particle effects exploding in every direction. The game is going to be an addiction, plain and simple. Sonic becomes Super Sonic, "which basically means he can just fly around and pummel me at will," explains Nintendo rep.

omgomg

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
9:47 a.m.: Link and Sonic are now fighting in the Star Fox level. Wow. The ship is flying through wormholes as you battle. Other craft soar by in the foreground and background. Extremely gorgeous. So clean and amazingly fast with detailed particle effects exploding in every direction. The game is going to be an addiction, plain and simple. Sonic becomes Super Sonic, "which basically means he can just fly around and pummel me at will," explains Nintendo rep.

9:46 a.m.: Wii remote held classically simplifies the controls. Move with the D-Pad. Shield attack is mapped to the B-trigger, which takes the most getting used to.

9:44 a.m.: Match is up and running with very little (maybe no) load times. Game is running 60 frames per second and full 480p widescreen. Looks really crisp, clean, sharp. Smash Balls randomly appear on-screen. They'll float around and you'll have to pound on them for awhile before they release their special abilities. This is demonstrated as Samus and Mario duke it out. Samus gains her special ability and blasts Mario with a super shot that fills the entire screen. Afterward, Aran turns into Zero Suit Samus.

Multiple Smash Bals per match confirmed!!

felipeko

Leondexter said:
February....okay. As long as it IS February. Games that get delayed into Jan/Feb often get further delayed, it's not uncommon for them to release in the next year's holiday season. I can wait a couple of months. A year might turn me into a "videogames make people violent" poster child.
Sakurai will have to keep updating, i don't think he will have awesomeness for a whole year..

PkunkFury

A "unique way of sharing between users, even online," according to Iwata -- this relates to some user-created content for the WI-Fi service in relation to Smash Bros., sounds like.

do we know about any user created content in Smash?

Haunted

PkunkFury said:
yeah Chris Kohler played! now he can sign on and tell us all about WaveDashing
...or the lack thereof. :eek: :D

So you have to beat smash balls before you can use them. Interesting. Can't wait to be the first to get to a smash ball and hit it a few times only to get the unlocked ball snatched away by someone else. >_< It will happen.

PkunkFury

Haunted One said:
...or the lack thereof. :eek: :D

So you have to beat smash balls before you can use them. Interesting. Can't wait to be the first to get to a smash ball and hit it a few times only to get the unlocked ball snatched away by someone else. >_< It will happen.

they maybe did this to appease tourney goers. Now, even if it appeears near one player, the other will still have time to react

Sharp said:
Guys, if you want to avoid the wrath of sp0rsk shouldn't you post this in the "demo impressions" thread?

ah srry didn't know there was one, I leave this thread open all day :(

:mad:

There's no reason for it to be even later than the Japanese version.

I was right when I said they wouldn't release Smash and Wii Fit in the same month, but I didn't think they'd reverse it.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Hey... just to let you all know:

[17:57] Me: Haha.
[17:57] Artist: Lolol
[17:57] Me: They're all taking yours and Ahuron's pixel art on the NeoGAF forum and turning them into avatars.
[17:57] Artist: I noticed
[17:57] Artist: It's a disease
[17:58] Artist: They spoiled Sonic for me that way :(
[17:58] Me: Like Pokérus, or a bad kind of disease?
[17:58] Me: Oh! You... didn't know before?
[17:58] Artist: I was trying to stay out of the gaming section
[17:58] Artist: And then there it was
[17:58] Artist: A Sonic sprite by Ahruon in Off Topic :(
[17:58] Me: Oooh.
[17:59] Me: Well it was hard to miss the announcement anyway, with the Smash Bros. topic title being "SONIC SONIC SONIC" for all of yesterday.
[18:00] Artist: Well I was warned to stay out of the gaming section for a couple of days because of the title
[18:00] Artist: But it didn't help
[18:00] Artist: So now I'm free to roam the forum again
[18:01] Me: ARE YOU though?
[18:02] Me: There's always the chance of Megaman showing up in secret.
[18:02] Me: ;D
[18:02] Artist: :(
[18:02] Artist: They're spoiling too much

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? HUH?!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
SovanJedi said:
Hey... just to let you all know:

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? HUH?!

the "Sonic in super smash bros - what are the social implications" or what ever thread in the off topic may have been a give away too :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom