• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

NeonZ said:
That only changes the arena, not the entire background.
What I'm saying is that I don't see why it would require loading to have three arenas and three backgrounds, but not four arenas.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
CreatureX3 said:
basic02_070529b-l.jpg

Catching up with all the new footage...

One thing I like is how the smash ball needs to be attacked a bit before it can be obtained.
Thats one of the things that I dont like. Having the smash ball work that way means that you could be the one to attack it, but someone else can steal it from you and use it even though you did all the work.

jts

...hate me...
psycho_snake said:
Thats one of the things that I dont like. Having the smash ball work that way means that you could be the one to attack it, but someone else can steal it from you and use it even though you did all the work.
Or vice-versa. That's part of the fun.

NeonZ

psycho_snake said:

But it also means that you won't get it just because it happened to pop up next to you...

psycho_snake said:

Never stolen a frag in a FPS ? That's part of the fun, too.

psycho_snake

Iam Canadian said:
Snake had the advantage of pure shock value on his side. Seriously, I don't think anybody watching that original trailer was thinking that Solid Snake, of all people, would appear in Brawl. He'll be notable if only for that.
yeah, that was one of the reasons why snake was such a big deal. It was completely unexpected. With sonic people had been guessing he would be in the game, so although it was a big deal seeing him on the brawl website, a lot of people expected it to happen. Snake is completely different though. No one had any idea that a third party charactewr would be in the game and even if we did know, I doubt anyone would have expected to see snake. Snake is probably one of the last people you would imagine being a playable character in a SSB game, but they managed to pull it off.

Sonic's appearance doesnt diminish snake being in brawl at all. I'm a bigger fan of the MGS games than I am of the sonic games, so having snake as a playable character is a much bugger deal than sonic being playable.

Somnid

Jiggy37 said:
What I'm saying is that I don't see why it would require loading to have three arenas and three backgrounds, but not four arenas.

Think about the difference here and you'll probably get it.

Jiggy

psycho_snake said:
yeah, that was one of the reasons why snake was such a big deal. It was completely unexpected. With sonic people had been guessing he would be in the game, so although it was a big deal seeing him on the brawl website, a lot of people expected it to happen. Snake is completely different though. No one had any idea that a third party charactewr would be in the game and even if we did know, I doubt anyone would have expected to see snake. Snake is probably one of the last people you would imagine being a playable character in a SSB game, but they managed to pull it off.
Snake also has the element of being currently associated with the Playstation brand (even though there was Twin Snakes on GC, Metal Gear was on NES, etc., that's low-visibility stuff), which is another reason he's at least as big as Sonic: he feels like a cross-platform character to most people. Sonic's on all systems in modern times, so it's more the past that makes him huge for SSBB...

Somnid said:
Think about the difference here and you'll probably get it.
I'm trying. :( Do backgrounds take up more disc space than an arena model or something? Edit: And if so, why doesn't it take longer to load a stage like Mute City, Venom, or Final Destination in SSBM than N64 Dreamland?

Holy Order Sol said:
Fast characters can get to the ball faster, but heavy hitters may be able to break it more easily.
I guess it depends on whether a heavy hit is determined by the percentage damage it does or by its knockback. In the past there hasn't been a very noticeable difference between weak and strong characters purely in terms of the damage amount.

psycho_snake

Teasel said:
and you think making a moveset for c.falcon (which is a pilot) was easy?
well they could make up moves unrelated to the character like they did for falcon, but its always better if they could make moves that are based on the character.

Iam Canadian said:
We've had a playable Moogle in the form of Mog in Final Fantasy VI. Surely Sakurai can make a moveset out of that.
I've not played FFVI so that wasnt something I was aware of. Sakurai could definately use mog's attacks from that game to help make a good moveset for it. As I said he could just make up random moves for mog, but its better to have something that you can relate to the character.

psycho_snake

Holy Order Sol said:
Fast characters can get to the ball faster, but heavy hitters may be able to break it more easily.
Thats probably how it'll work to balance things out. The fast characters can get to the ball quicker, but the heavy hitters can open it quicker.

Somnid

Jiggy37 said:
I'm trying. :( Do backgrounds take up more disc space than an arena model or something? Edit: And if so, why doesn't it take longer to load a stage like Mute City, Venom, or Final Destination in SSBM than N64 Dreamland?

First off Pokemon Stadium is a pretty bare stage. It would be possible to save resources for a stage change (which are just some extra geometry added over the actual stage). Notice that it cycles too. It goes from one stage then back to default then to another. They probably do this to load the next change in the background. In default the next thing is being loaded in place of the last one.

Mute city and Venom are streamed. There isn't a hard transition between scenery so assets could be loaded on the fly as they are needed. Final Destination doesn't really have a lot going on so the change there is trivial, they may load it all at once or do it in the background while it's black.

In the castle Siege and Stafox levels of Brawl though, the background has a hard transition. Everything changes, all the geometry and textures are different so it's essentially loading an entire level while you are still playing. They probably leave some leftover resources so they can start preloading each level and that makes the transion shorter but they still need time to take the resources that the previous section was using and as you might expect you can't do that while it's still in use.

Jiggy

Don't know how I missed that comment about Captain Falcon quote until psycho_snake brought it up, but...

Captain Falcon was a bounty hunter anyway, not "just" the pilot of an F-Zero machine. It was easy to assume that he had at least some fighting skills, especially since the F-Zero universe is full of bizarre species with bizarre powers, and the technology level is higher than anything else from Nintendo except Metroid.
I'm just glad the original SSB team didn't end up making Falcon a typical laser gun-wielding kind of bounty hunter. I will admit, though... being a gadget-oriented Batman type of character might have been really interesting. Would have kind of infringed on Link, though.

Somnid said:
[great explanation]
Okay, thanks. :D Never claimed to be very technical, so I was wondering how all this stuff worked...

NeonZ

Captain Falcon was a bounty hunter anyway, not "just" the pilot of an F-Zero machine. It was easy to assume that he had at least some fighting skills, especially since the F-Zero universe is full of bizarre species with bizarre powers, and the technology level is higher than anything else from Nintendo except Metroid.
I'm just glad the original SSB team didn't end up making Falcon a typical laser gun-wielding kind of bounty hunter. I will admit, though... being a gadget-oriented Batman type of character might have been really interesting. Would have kind of infringed on Link, though.

Captain Falcon and many F-Zero characters have designs that seem straight out of super hero comic books - so Captain received a super hero-like moveset. It doesn't seem too unexpected.

The only problem was that the design was clearly American comic book inspired, but his moveset seems straight out of Japanese live action super hero shows - The aerial "Falcon Kick", especially, is almost identical to some versions of Kamen Rider's "Rider Kick", only replacing a flashing light with fire.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
psycho_snake said:
I've not played FFVI so that wasnt something I was aware of. Sakurai could definately use mog's attacks from that game to help make a good moveset for it. As I said he could just make up random moves for mog, but its better to have something that you can relate to the character.

Mog actually has a lot of good attacks that would work for Smash Bros. Between his Dances and his skill as a Dragoon, I can see him making an excellent character.

Aw, now I want Mog in the game.

Scribble

Would Mog WOW you, though? After Snake and Sonic,

MOG JOINS THE BRAWL!

=/

Nevertheless, I DO wish that the third 3rd party character is someone popular, but...obscure, if you know what I mean. But then, Megaman would complete the trio of video game icons. Hmm....

NeonZ said:
The only problem was that the design was clearly American comic book inspired, but his moveset seems straight out of Japanese live action super hero shows - The aerial "Falcon Kick", especially, is almost identical to some versions of Kamen Rider's "Rider Kick", only replacing a flashing light with fire.

Who the hell uses Falcon Kick to attack people anyway ? ;p

Iam Canadian

Scribble said:
Would Mog WOW you, though? After Snake and Sonic,

MOG JOINS THE BRAWL!

=/

I don't know if he'd WOW me, but he'd still be fun to use. Except for maybe Terra, I'd want him over any other Final Fantasy character and he'd fit in with the Brawl aesthetic.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what character could WOW me at this point, except for some ridiculously obscure third party character. Mega Man would definitely make me happy, but I wouldn't be shocked about it. A Hudson character wouldn't really surprise me at this point, either.

I guess another Mother character would WOW me, but you all know how I feel about those games at this point.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
If theres any Square character in the game, itll probably be Sora. He repesents many things about Square today, is a very popular character who is also CURRENT in all regions, has been in a Nintendo console before, would fit inmensely well in Smash Bros (I mean hell, he stars in his own crossover game) and you could pull off a sweet moveset for him. The only argument you could have for him not being in the game is cause you think he sucks, something I highly doubt Nintendo and Square think.

Id rather have Crono, but eh, thats not likely at all.

Also, seems the boxart has shown up on the Nintendo Press site, its the one that was leaked and posted here some months back. Might very well represent the starting roster, I guess.

ssbbboxart.jpg

Scribble

Iam Canadian said:
Come to think of it, I'm not sure what character could WOW me at this point, except for some ridiculously obscure third party character. Mega Man would definitely make me happy, but I wouldn't be shocked about it. A Hudson character wouldn't really surprise me at this point, either.

Although he isn't ridiculously obscure and there's no chance of it happening, a Crono announcement would be *huge*. Speaking of Hudson, I wouldn't be that excited if Bomberman was announced. Quite a downgrade from Snake and Sonic. Likely third-party characters:

Megaman:
Most likely candidate. Has long legacy on Nintendo consoles

Ryu: One of Capcom's most iconic characters

Bomberman: Konami owns Hudson, so it'll be easier? Also has a long legacy on Nintendo consoles

KOS-MOS: Er, because Link was in Soul Calibur? Monolith is now Nintendo? Lol.

Rayman: Not really

Leon Kennedy: Another Capcom character, but kind of clashes with Snake.

Sora: The happy medium between Sonic and Snake. Lol. If there's a SE character, I'd expect him to be in. But Disney would have to say yes first. That would make Smash Bros a Nintendo/Konami/Sega/Disney/Square-Enix crossover.

Viewtiful Joe: WTF announcement.

Raging Spaniard said:
Also, seems the boxart has shown up on the Nintendo Press site, its the one that was leaked and posted here some months back. Might very well represent the starting roster, I guess.
That would be a great starting roster IMO. :D

Iam Canadian

Scribble said:
Although he isn't ridiculously obscure and there's no chance of it happening, a Crono announcement would be *huge*.

Okay, I've got to admit, that would impress me. Unfortunately, it will never happen because Crono will never appear again.

Raging Spaniard said:
If theres any Square character in the game, itll probably be Sora.

He belongs to Disney if I'm not mistaken.

Well if there is a Capcom character in SSBB, no doubt it would be Megaman. And that announcement would be pretty big (Not as big as Snake/Sonic). But I think if Ryu were to be the Capcom character, that would be a much bigger "WOW" announcement than Megaman. :D

Scribble

If not Sora, then Cloud. I'm not some FF7 fanboy, but the prospect of Mario + Link vs Sonic and Cloud matches would be interesting. Unless I'm making up the FF7 vs OOT fanboy war in my head -- it was a long time ago.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Iwata, Miyamoto, Miki (Nintendo)
Ishihara (The Pokemon Company)
Tsura (HAL)
Sakurai (Sora) (Nintendo/HAL)
20+ New Staffers from Smash Recruit Nintendo (Nintendo)
"a couple members from the original team who live in Tokyo" (HAL)
"secret company who was recommended by Miyamoto" (Secret)
Musicians (Nintendo, Konami, Square-Enix, Capcom, Wavemaster etc)
Special Assistants (Eiji Aonuma, Hideo Kojima, Yoshiaki Koizumi, etc)

The core of the team is mixed. Let alone the entire creditted staff.

Sorry, maybe I'm not understanding, but I still don't see the issue. Nintendo credited the likes of Dave Wise, and whatnot who don't even work for Nintendo anymore with Melee and 64.

Raging Spaniard said:
Sakurai really, REALLY wants to make new, original games guys, why don't you want him to? Don't you like him? I can tell you from working on various Tiger Woods games, franchise fatigue hits fast, early and viciously.

Screw his feelings, and desires! He should make what WE want him to, damn it!

Though I'm sure a compromise could be made. He could work on Smash Bros: Massacre while doing his other dream game simultaneously. Sure, he may never sleep again, but oh well. Tough nuggets!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Insaniac said:
I figure it'd be something like this:

Joystick: movement obviously

Z: Shield
C: Grab
A: Attack
B: Special
Down-dpad: jump
1/2:taunts

You know, as much as I hate to say this, I can't think of a good way to map SSBB controls to a nunchuck/wii remote scheme. I can handle using the nunchuck joystick for movement, Z and C for shielding and grabbing, but I can't get used to the idea of using the remote's B for an attack button. I'm probably being a wimp here, but using the recessed trigger as a primary fighting button just seems... weird. No idea how to explain it, honestly, but I feel like it would be slower than a face button. I'd rather invert the Wii Remote and use 1 and 2 as action buttons, but that still leaves us without a jump.

I still wish the Wii Remote had FOUR buttons instead of two at the base, but what are you going to do, eh?

GamerSoul

Scribble said:
If not Sora, then Cloud. I'm not some FF7 fanboy, but the prospect of Mario + Link vs Sonic and Cloud matches would be interesting. Unless I'm making up the FF7 vs OOT fanboy war in my head -- it was a long time ago.

Sora has a way better chance unless they announce a FFVII spin-off game starring Cloud for the DS on Feb 9.

gwiz210

Anyone else here hope that there aren't updates for all the newcomers and some of the final SE stages/bosses? I know I could just not look at the updates but my bro always tells me what the updates are and I'd like to talk about brawl without knowing every single thing when it launches on Feb 10th.

Firestorm

gwiz210 said:
Anyone else here hope that there aren't updates for all the newcomers and some of the final SE stages/bosses? I know I could just not look at the updates but my bro always tells me what the updates are and I'd like to talk about brawl without knowing every single thing when it launches on Feb 10th.

This reminds me. After finding out that the game will come out two weeks after the Japanese release, I've basically made my mind up. I'm going head first into spoilerville. So I guess once everything is figured out I'll write up that spoiler-free unlock thing for those who are remaining spoiler-free.

I just can't last two weeks without knowing stuff.

NeonZ

gwiz210 said:
Anyone else here hope that there aren't updates for all the newcomers and some of the final SE stages/bosses?

I really believe they're only revealing the standard stuff, nothing unlockable, especially considering how the only reference to unlockables so far was in the "My music" update about the CDs. However, they probably will start revealing a few obvious unlockables, like Luigi and Jigglypuff, if they're still in, by the time that the game gets released in the USA.

GamerSoul

Firestorm said:
This reminds me. After finding out that the game will come out two weeks after the Japanese release, I've basically made my mind up. I'm going head first into spoilerville. So I guess once everything is figured out I'll write up that spoiler-free unlock thing for those who are remaining spoiler-free.

I just can't last two weeks without knowing stuff.

I just wanna know all the characters
I hope it's 40+

Scribble

I wonder if it's possible, being the gaming forum nerd that I am, to go on a Brawl blackout a week before the JP release (since hidden characters will be leaked before then) and actually NOT get spoiled. I want Tingle and Ridley to be surprises.

And does that Lucas picture tell us anything about Ne-- *is shot*

gwiz210 said:
Well right now I'm spoiler-free on all Galaxy information. I want to experience all that game has to offer while I play it.

For some reason though when it comes to Brawl, I don't mind finding out all the secrets. Maybe it has to do with it being a fighting game, but I don't feel spoilers for a fighting game are a big deal.

Milabrega

Anyone else feel its time for a new trailer in the same vein as the Brawl Debut Video ( although nothing could beat the snake shocker ).

Also that snake Lucas is holding, Is that something from his games?? If not it sorta looks like the Snake Rattle 'n Roll Snake.

Jiggy

I remember an Asp enemy in Mother 2, but I doubt that's what it is since it wasn't exactly a major enemy... I'm guessing it's an item.

Jiggy37 said:
I remember an Asp enemy in Mother 2, but I doubt that's what it is since it wasn't exactly a major enemy... I'm guessing it's an item.
I think it's a Mother 3 reference.

One of the characters has a pet snake they used to latch on to things.

Jiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
I think it's a Mother 3 reference.

One of the characters has a pet snake they used to latch on to things.
Oh, awesome. Maybe it's his grapple. :D

layzie1989 said:
Does anyone here with IGN insider want to check out this thread?

The title of it is Official: Brawl "features a ridiculous number of characters"
First and possibly last time I've wanted to be an IGN Insider, but I'm sure someone will share with us soon enough anyway.
I'd laugh if it turns out to just be a rumor thread, though.

Milabrega said:
Mortal Kombat's Raiden Yes. MGS raiden no, won't have that same shock level. A capcom mascot other than Megaman would deliver a huge shocker too.

I meant, the way they did it for MGS 2, like, not telling anyone until launch.

I think it might just end up being about characters appearing in the game as assist trophies and stickers and regular trophies.

I hope I'm wrong though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom