• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firest0rm

layzie1989 said:
Does anyone here with IGN insider want to check out this thread?

The title of it is Official: Brawl "features a ridiculous number of characters"

Its nothing, just IGNers being IGNers. The thread contains a go******** article.

The poster ends his post with "I'm really just being silly with the subject line."

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Ezduo said:
Well here's the source anyway: http://www.mother-jp.net/times/20071013.html

mother3_smashbros_x_lucas_flash_fam.jpg

Looks like PK Flash. Hopefully it will operate differently, though. We must have Ness AND Lucas!

Milabrega

CreatureX3 said:
Mario has a Luigi costume, Link has a Dark Link costume, maybe Lucas has a Ness costume?

Through that logic are your really saying Luigi is out? Really? Luigi Mario, the second biggest mascot next to Mario Mario?

NeonZ

CreatureX3 said:
Mario has a Luigi costume, Link has a Dark Link costume, maybe Lucas has a Ness costume?

It's a green and brown pallet swap (that is in SSBM too, BTW), not a Luigi costume...

Milabrega said:
Through that logic are your really saying Luigi is out? Really? Luigi Mario, the second biggest mascot next to Mario Mario?
Woah there, I never said Luigi or Ness were out. I only said maybe Lucas also has a Ness costume. :D

usea

MrCheez said:
Everything about this trailer looks awesome, except...

What the hell is up with Castle Siege!? I know it was brought up the other day, but the transition between 'tiers' is so lame. :( Not only do the characters seem to magically teleport through the levels, they are even standing on an invisible ground while it's happening? They could have at least made them actually FALLING the whole time.
Characters falling at a drastically different speeds for any significant amount of time means some will probably die off of the bottom or top. You could get around that, but honestly I'd much rather the fall not totally interrupt fighting, I'm sure after like the 10th time or something it would get very annoying falling all the time. I'd much rather the transition not screw up the gameplay just for the novelty effect.

Threi

notag
Testicular Sound Express said:
what buttons on the wiimote and nunchuck are pressure sensitive? If all are not the jump button would have to be on the ones that are. Without it you won't be able to short hop.
Im pretty sure none of them are pressure-sensitive...just like gamecube buttons o_O

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
You know, maybe theres a speedline transition on Castle Siege because the game isnt done, I mean yeah I know, crazy talk...

what buttons on the wiimote and nunchuck are pressure sensitive? If all are not the jump button would have to be on the ones that are. Without it you won't be able to short hop.

That's not how short hopping works.

Fact: Jump durations are determined by how long you hold the jump button, not how hard you press them.

Firestorm

It's based on how long you hold the jump button, not how hard. It's easy to mix up. Just remember that you could short hop even in Super Mario Bros. on the NES so it doesn't involve any advanced technology in the controllers.

AndoCalrissian said:
How is there not more footage from this event?

Each site can only put up 5 minutes of footage.

Darkpen

Banned
Firestorm said:
It's based on how long you hold the jump button, not how hard. It's easy to mix up. Just remember that you could short hop even in Super Mario Bros. on the NES so it doesn't involve any advanced technology in the controllers.

whaaat. Is there somekind of embargo? I wish there was more footage on final smashes. like Donkey Kong for example (we could've seen it, but stupid DK player/AI died in one of the videos right after getting the damn ball)

Firestorm

The NDA is up on Monday, but I'm not sure if the 5 mins of Smash thing applies. I know that Smash was the only game they could write anything about between the event and Monday... probably to offset the delay backlash.

Jiggy

NakedCosmonaut said:
Lucas has the 'Rope Snake' from Mother 3
swinging.png

That's Duster in the screenshot, I can't remember if it was actually used by Lucas in the game.
In that case, who wants to never ever PM Amir0x about this development?

NakedCosmonaut said:
Lucas has the 'Rope Snake' from Mother 3
swinging.png

That's Duster in the screenshot, I can't remember if it was actually used by Lucas in the game.
Nice find. We really need Mother 3 released in some sort of Earthbound DS compilation game.

Firestorm said:
Well that sux. Hopefully they can put up more footage soon.

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:
In that case, who wants to never ever PM Amir0x about this development?

I dunno "Your crappy game has some new crappy item in the game of the forever" could be an interesting PM to see if he understands ^_^

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
I dunno "Your crappy game has some new crappy item in the game of the forever" could be an interesting PM to see if he understands ^_^
Yeah, uh, you do that. :D

I'm mostly interested because I'm sure he could confirm whether Lucas ever used this snake in-game or not. Even if he didn't remember, he'd probably play it again just to find out.

AMUSIX

Raging Spaniard said:
You know, maybe theres a speedline transition on Castle Siege because the game isnt done, I mean yeah I know, crazy talk...
Would love to believe that, but more and more it smacks of the "really cool stuff happening in the back ground that has no effect on gameplay" trend in the stages. With all the focus on aerial battles, I'm surprised that the characters DON'T fight in a freefall during the Castle Seige transitions.

However, there is one bit that supports the 'not done yet' theory, and that is the third transition (from underground back up to the newly formed castle). It makes absolutely no sense, and the transition is identical to the others, suggesting that it's a placeholder from some 'blast the combatants back up' transition (volcanic?).

usea

AMUSIX said:
Would love to believe that, but more and more it smacks of the "really cool stuff happening in the back ground that has no effect on gameplay" trend in the stages. With all the focus on aerial battles, I'm surprised that the characters DON'T fight in a freefall during the Castle Seige transitions.

However, there is one bit that supports the 'not done yet' theory, and that is the third transition (from underground back up to the newly formed castle). It makes absolutely no sense, and the transition is identical to the others, suggesting that it's a placeholder from some 'blast the combatants back up' transition (volcanic?).
I think that believing the stage transitions to be placeholders this late in development is just as absurd as believing the mp3s on the site are placeholders until the orchestra is recorded.

It's like quotes I see when people see game screens and they're like "it's jaggy now, but they'll add in AA in the last few weeks of tweaking." Completely ridiculous. Brawl is basically done. They might tweak a few numbers here and there, and maybe they're finishing up some of the least important features like how to sort photos or whatever. But Brawl is done.

yodandy

usea said:
HAHA, several parts of that were great. I liked the sonic commercial parody.

Dear god that was horrible

i lol'd at

"Hey reggie I hear master chief will be in brawl"

"Yea hell be in there"

:runs:

haha

Milabrega

SuperAngelo64 said:
There's a NDA for Smash?

When does that shit end?

NDA's from the NoA event are up Monday, for all we know Smash wasn't NDA'd but theres always the possiblity something from the game could have been.

NeonZ

Would love to believe that, but more and more it smacks of the "really cool stuff happening in the back ground that has no effect on gameplay" trend in the stages.

Corneria is the only one really like that. Battlefield lacks interactive elements, but there isn't "cool stuff" happening in the background, just the day passing. I suppose one could include the Animal Crossing stage too, but it'd be a stretch.

If anything, I think that last transition is proof that the generic transition is the final one. There's no way they could pull a believable transition between the last arena and the first castle area.

AMUSIX said:
With all the focus on aerial battles, I'm surprised that the characters DON'T fight in a freefall during the Castle Seige transitions.

That would be absolutely broken. A single attack and the character could be out, his actual % not mattering at all.

Iam Canadian

usea said:
I think that believing the stage transitions to be placeholders this late in development is just as absurd as believing the mp3s on the site are placeholders until the orchestra is recorded.

It's like quotes I see when people see game screens and they're like "it's jaggy now, but they'll add in AA in the last few weeks of tweaking." Completely ridiculous. Brawl is basically done. They might tweak a few numbers here and there, and maybe they're finishing up some of the least important features like how to sort photos or whatever. But Brawl is done.

I think that if Brawl is as done as you say, it wouldn't have been delayed.

I'm sure the basic foundation of the game is complete. However, I believe that Sakurai and his team are still adding new content and expanding the game, not just tweaking unimportant stuff.

CreatureX3 said:
Nice find. We really need Mother 3 released in some sort of Earthbound DS compilation game.

We really do. Nintendo of America has no love for the Mother series. I don't understand the problem with getting the games to us. Maybe they just hate the fans? Anyway, still glad Lucas is in, even if Ness is out.

Jiggy

I'm personally hoping Lucas forces NOA's hand, and that if Mother 3 comes out in any form in the US it gets the "Fire Emblem effect."

Darkpen

Banned
Personally, I'm not too fond of Earthbound, but I do know its supposed to be an awesome game if you get into it. Personally, I'd rather play it on a portable, really, and if Nintendo released a Mother compilation on DS, I'd definitely pick it up.

Jiggy37 said:
I'm personally hoping Lucas forces NOA's hand, and that if Mother 3 comes out in any form in the US it gets the "Fire Emblem effect."

They should just release Mother 3 as Wiiware for 1000 pts,

Problem solved.

They wouldn't have to market or manufacture it like a real game, so there's no risk involved for NoA and all the Mother fans in the states would be happy.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
usea said:

Well I dont know how many games you've worked on, but I can tell you from experience that what you see on the show floor in a game does not represent the final product.

For all you know, and this is a very plausible scenario because Ive seen it happen. The build that was up at the show represents how the game was 2 to 3 months ago. In the games Ive worked on we've even removed and added complete stages 1 week before going gold.

So no, its not that I believe those are placeholder transitions, its just that theres a high chance that they are, speaking from experience.

usea

Iam Canadian said:
I think that if Brawl is as done as you say, it wouldn't have been delayed.

I'm sure the basic foundation of the game is complete. However, I believe that Sakurai and his team are still adding new content and expanding the game, not just tweaking unimportant stuff.
Adding significant new content does not happen in the final hours of successful, awesome projects. Maybe finishing something planned early on but put on hold until they knew if they had time, like setting photos as matchmaking avatars or whatever. They didn't decide a week or even a month ago to add a new character or something similarly major. That's not how projects that actually finish are run.

Raging Spaniard said:
Well I dont know how many games you've worked on, but I can tell you from experience that what you see on the show floor in a game does not represent the final product.

For all you know, and this is a very plausible scenario because Ive seen it happen. The build that was up at the show represents how the game was 2 to 3 months ago. In the games Ive worked on we've even removed and added complete stages 1 week before going gold.

So no, its not that I believe those are placeholder transitions, its just that theres a high chance that they are, speaking from experience.
It represents the final product, but is not the final product. Anything can change from a demo, but certain things are far less likely than others. When you split off a version to use as a floor build you do lock down certain content and spend a little development to cap off makeshift things here and there. I sincerely doubt that one of those things is the way the fire emblem stage transitions, and brawl is much further along in development than making major design decisions.

Jiggy37 said:
The game that immediately comes out never makes it here but they make a sequel from the ground up for America?

Jiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
The game that immediately comes out never makes it here but they make a sequel from the ground up for America?
No, the game that the SSBB character stars in gets a DS version. The comparison referring to Marth, then, not Roy. :D

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:

I would love for that to happen. Nintendo seems biased against the Mother series because the one game that came out here sold poorly.

(Warning: rant incoming. Bail out now!)

Earthbound was a victim of the time it was released in. RPGs had yet to become a popular genre, outside of maybe Squaresoft's efforts. The simplistic graphics, which have a substantial amount of charm in their own right (almost like the Wind Waker's graphics), didn't appeal to an audience that had just been wowed by Donkey Kong Country. The game was misunderstood by a large portion of the audience, considering it to be a childish game consisting of nothing but fart jokes and not considering the substance the game had.

And your marketing didn't help matters, Nintendo. What the hell was that? This game stinks? You advertised your game with pictures of Master Barf and scratch 'n sniff stickers? Okay, I'll admit, the stickers are a cool novelty item (that I have!) now. But they were a terrible way to advertise the game then. You didn't necessarily have to treat the game as a serious epic, because that's not what Earthbound is. But there were better ways to do it. Market it as a satirical portrait of the RPG genre. Play up the concept of kids being the heroes. But Nintendo tried to advertise it as an Earthworm Jim-esque game without any of the randomness and surreality that made Earthworm Jim successful.

And just because it didn't sell to your expectations, it doesn't mean you shouldn't put out the sequel and the GBA ports. Believe it or not, Nintendo, the video game audience has changed. Look at the quirky, previously Japan-only stuff being released on your DS now, Nintendo. Take Phoenix Wright. Would that have done well on the SNES? Probably not. Hell, look at Atlus, publishing the kind of stuff that the Japanese used to get exclusively. Atlus has proven there is a market for Japanese novelties.

And you've got a built-in audience. People actually know who Ness is and they'll soon know the name of Lucas. People are going to want to see the roots of these characters. When the Ice Climbers were put into Melee, you started shoving their game down our throats with a Classic NES Series and a Virtual Console release. When Marth and Roy got in, you gave us the Fire Emblem games, despite that never having left Japanese shores previously. You've not only got a cadre of hardcore Earthbound who would love to see the cliffhanger at the end of Earthbound resolved, but potentially thousands of new fans who would pick up the game if only to play the game that Ness and Lucas came from. RPGs are, in fact, popular now. Mother is the closest thing to a traditional RPG you've made yourselves; after all, it builds right on the house that Dragon Quest built. And look, Nintendo! Dragon Quest, which previously got only sporadic North American releases, is now quite popular! Square-Enix took the chance to give Dragon Quest VIII a proper, professional localization and it sold quite well! Well enough to warrant the release of all kinds of spin-offs we wouldn't normally get! Maybe if you did a proper translation of Mother 3, you could get that kind of success yourselves! Play up the Smash Bros. angle if you have to! You released stuff like Drill Dozer! Why not give Mother 3 a chance?! You've never given the Mother series a fair chance! You actually translated the first game, but didn't release it because the NES was essentially dead. That didn't stop you from publishing Mega Man VI for Capcom, did it? Then you saddled Mother 2 with the crappiest marketing campaign imaginable. And now you won't give Mother another chance. That was nineteen-freaking-ninety five Nintendo. Mother is an excellent series and deserves another shot at the North American market!

...Wow. Sorry about that rant, I just get annoyed when I see a series like Mother, which I consider a series of some of the finest games ever made (and my own personal favourite) get shafted by Nintendo of America. I literally hammered that out in five minutes of frothing indignation. >_>

...Incidentally, does anybody know what kind of numbers Earthbound actually sold? For all the anecdotes I've read of Earthbound's crappy sales, I've never seen some actual numbers.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
...Incidentally, does anybody know what kind of numbers Earthbound actually sold? For all the anecdotes I've read of Earthbound's crappy sales, I've never seen some actual numbers.
Likewise. If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd be liable to claim that actually it never sold poorly, but I'm not.

>_>

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Likewise. If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd be liable to claim that actually it never sold poorly, but I'm not.

>_>

I don't doubt that it did sell rather poorly, but I'm just curious as to how poorly it sold.

ivysaur12

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
They should just release Mother 3 as Wiiware for 1000 pts,

Problem solved.

They wouldn't have to market or manufacture it like a real game, so there's no risk involved for NoA and all the Mother fans in the states would be happy.

This is the correct answer.

Iam Canadian

ivysaur12 said:
This is the correct answer.

That would be acceptable. However, it would still irk me because it would indicate that Nintendo doesn't consider Mother good enough to warrant a proper release. Besides, I kind of want an actual Mother 3 box to go alongside my treasured Earthbound box and Player's Guide.

I'd still take it, though. Anything to get Mother 3 in North America.

Raging Spaniard said:
Also, seems the boxart has shown up on the Nintendo Press site, its the one that was leaked and posted here some months back. Might very well represent the starting roster, I guess.

ssbbboxart.jpg

Hmmm... I count eleven characters on that. I agree that the characters on the cover are likely to represent starters, but 11? That's an odd number (both meanings intended). Not saying it can't happen, but iirc, both SSB and SSBM had an even number of starters.

P.S. Yes, Nintendo needs to release Mother here in all in its forms, on all of it's consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom