• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite levels were Corneria, Saffron City, and the Hyrule Temple. I'm beginning to notice that no one really likes the same level designs.

There is only one stage I would like to see return. My favorite stage from the original SSB, Peach's Castle!

PeachCastle.jpg

Super small stage that was always great for some fast and intense fighting! :D

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Somnid said:
-I'd say all Metroid stages need to go. Every single one has been awful and from the sounds of it Norfair isn't going to be any better. Sakurai please stop with the damn lava already, nobody likes it!
Brinstar wasnt anything special, but I quite liked brinstar depths. Its one of those stages that are not amazing, but they;re not rubbish either

-Mute City. Very meh stage. The Mario Kart one can take its place.
agreed, its pretty boring. The big blue stage is much better

-Icicle Mountain, for obvious reasons.
Why would you want to take out one of the most awesome levels in melee?

-Game and Watch. Cool concept but poor stage.
I duuno, its a pretty decent stage, but I doubt we'll see this returning. I think wario's stage has taken this stages place in brawl.

-Fountain of Dreams and Green Greens. Neither were any good, one was too basic and the other was random and had stupid bombs spawing all over the place. plus the wind blowing you into them.
yeah, both were pretty average stages. There's no need for them to be here again.

-Kongo Jungle 64. Too basic, and I really though it was too drab. The Melee version was a lot better looking and playing.
I wouldnt mind seeing this level again; I thought it was pretty fun.

-Sector Z and Venom. Corneria was a better remake of Sector Z, Venom wasn't great. Too much Great Fox, thankfully they aren't doing it again (I hope).
yep. Keep corneria, take out venom

-Onett. This was annoying to play. The layout of the platforms was justbad.
I didnt mind onett, but I do think that they could easily make a better stage related to the mother games.

CassSept

I want Fourside and Hyrule Temple to come back
And Icicle Glacier needs to go :/ This stage was SO annoying
Anyway, for tomorrows update i predict some pokemon update
Or Assist trophy: Ness

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I;d love to see rainbow crusie return too. That was one of my favourite levels along with hyrule temple, fourside and pokemone floats

Hey, I just finished a better version of the sprite WP (no blurring, almost all pixels and dimensions are the same (friggin Ice Climbers had some issues, but barely noticable)), plus it's at a higher res this time. Check it out at

http://i22.tinypic.com/2eqe1eb.jpg

I agree with the Metroid stage hate, why do they all have to be full of hazards? I want to be able to play on a Metroid stage without gimping certain characters.

Yazan

Shadowmancer said:
Hey, I just finished a better version of the sprite WP (no blurring, almost all pixels and dimensions are the same (friggin Ice Climbers had some issues, but barely noticable)), plus it's at a higher res this time. Check it out at

I agree with the Metroid stage hate, why do they all have to be full of hazards? I want to be able to play on a Metroid stage without gimping certain characters.

Can you make me an avatar of Pit?

Firestorm said:
I really hated stages like this in free for alls. Where there's something, gap, something, gap, something. So this stage and I think Jungle Japes. 2 people who spawn on the sides would camp and start chucking stuff at the two in the middle. People in the middle would try hard to get the side so they could be in a position of power. Agh
that's the fun in it...who cares if you lose, playing the game is still fun. And deal with it :p, a good player could get around such a situation :p

Firestorm

TheKingsCrown said:
that's the fun in it...who cares if you lose, playing the game is still fun. And deal with it :p, a good player could get around such a situation :p

Shut up Peach. You're one of the problems!
>=(

And er, I was talking about it not being fun, nothing to do with winning/losing. I often don't win. I can never keep a lead.

Rambaldi

I would like to the the Sky Above Peach's Castle return, too. I haven't playyed SSB in so long that I forgot about it. And Fourside was an amazing stage too. I loved the music. I need to look for a cheap copy of SSB online, but I doubt I'll find one.

Screenboy

Shadowmancer said:

I have to say that is f***ing amazing.

Jiggy

gwiz210 said:
And now, stages you would like to see return from previous Smash Bros. Games!
All of them--I can't think of a reason to take them out unless they're occupying too much disc space, but I doubt that. But some I'd rather see than others.

Super Smash Bros.
Peach's Castle - 8.5/10
Kongo Jungle - 5/10
Hyrule Castle - 9/10
Planet Zebes - 1.5/10
Yoshi's Island - 3/10
Dream Land - 10/10
Sector Z - 5.5/10, but Corneria was better anway
Saffron City - 8/10
Mushroom Kingdom - 7/10

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Icicle Mountain - 5.5/10
Princess Peach's Castle - 3.5/10
Rainbow Cruise - 7.5/10
Kongo Jungle - 2/10
Jungle Japes - 4/10, but would automatically be a 5 at least due to My Music
Great Bay - 3/10
Hyrule Temple - 8/10
Yoshi's Story - 3.5/10, but would probably be a 7 at least due to My Music
Yoshi's Island - 6.5/10
Fountain of Dreams - 10/10
Green Greens - 6/10
Corneria - 6/10
Venom - 5.5/10
Brinstar - 2.5/10
Onett - 8.5/10
Mute City - 7.5/10, but would probably be a 6 at best if its music could be played elsewhere
Pokemon Stadium - 9/10
Mushroom Kingdom - 7/10
Brinstar Depths - 4/10
Fourside - 6.5/10, but loses some value if its music could be played elsewhere
Big Blue - 10/10
Poke Floats - 10/10

Mushroom Kingdom 2 - 5/10
Flat Zone - 5/10
Final Destination - 9.5/10
Battlefield - 10/10

I like both "tournament" style stages and the more unorthodox stuff like Big Blue and Onett. Out of the revealed SSBB batch, I'm expecting to like Pokemon Stadium 2, Battleship Halberd, Delfino Plaza, and Wario Ware the best.

Eteric Rice

Rambaldi said:
I would like to the the Sky Above Peach's Castle return, too. I haven't playyed SSB in so long that I forgot about it. And Fourside was an amazing stage too. I loved the music. I need to look for a cheap copy of SSB online, but I doubt I'll find one.

Check some pawn shops, you'll find one eventually.

Firestorm

I don't know if I'd be sad or happy if they released Super Smash Bros on VC on December 3rd.

Because I know I was definitely not happy when they played the song from the SSB64 commercial after the E3 conference. "Hey guys, we showed you nothing but here's that song to hear as we finish"

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
I don't know if I'd be sad or happy if they released Super Smash Bros on VC on December 3rd.
Sad. The only thing they should be releasing on December 3rd is the E for All demo for $15 or less. >_>

Des0lar said:
Falcon Week incoming.
please, please

I sure hope so, as long as he keeps The Knee. If he's given some other kind of bullshit move instead, I don't know what I'll do.

That, or Tom Nook as a playable character. Yes, I'm aware of the AC stage.

Firestorm

Holy Order Sol said:
I sure hope so, as long as he keeps The Knee. If he's given some other kind of bullshit move instead, I don't know what I'll do.

That, or Tom Nook as a playable character. Yes, I'm aware of the AC stage.

Why would they get rid of his knee? Most of the old guys seem to have kept their moves. I think Bowser's the only one with any major changes.

Dr.Hadji

Firestorm said:
Why would they get rid of his knee? Most of the old guys seem to have kept their moves. I think Bowser's the only one with any major changes.

Which sucks. The oldies looks so boring compared to the new guys.

Jiggy37 said:
Out of the revealed SSBB batch, I'm expecting to like Pokemon Stadium 2, Battleship Halberd, Delfino Plaza, and Wario Ware the best.
So far out of the limited video footage and screenshots of the revealed Brawl stages, my favorites are:

1. Skyworld
2. Lylat Cruise
3. Delfino Plaza

:D

ohamsie

There have been a few interesting changes to some of the moves we've seen with the veterans. Link's boomerang is kind of different, and Mario has F.L.U.D.D.

Jiggy

CreatureX3 said:
So far out of the limited video footage and screenshots of the revealed Brawl stages, my favorites are:

1. Skyworld
2. Lylat Cruise
3. Delfino Plaza

:D
I'll enjoy Lylat Cruise too, I'm sure, but as far as levels with crazy backgrounds go, I've got to stick with Battleship Halberd. I expect better music there, at the very least. :D

Also, I amend my prediction from earlier to the TP Spinner and a Mr. Game & Watch profile rather than the TP Spinner and Captain Falcon.

I hope they bring back the silph Co. Pokemon stage, Hyrule Temple, The great Bay, Pokemon stadium 1

also I don't know about you guys but from the videos it kind of looks like pit isn't that great of a character

Jiggy37 said:
I'll enjoy Lylat Cruise too, I'm sure, but as far as levels with crazy backgrounds go, I've got to stick with Battleship Halberd. I expect better music there, at the very least. :D

Also, I amend my prediction from earlier to the TP Spinner and a Mr. Game & Watch profile rather than the TP Spinner and Captain Falcon.

If they don't use the song from KSS for the Halberd, blood will rain.

G&W profile?

He'll probably stay secret.

And how would the Spinner even work?

Scribble

I'm not really expecting any megaton updates for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, tbqh.

The only thing that could top this week would be a Ridley or Tingle playable character update. I expect to see a lot of stuff we already know, i.e. Little Mac AT, though.

Oh well, at least there's E4All and Capcom's megaton to look forward to.

Scribble said:
I'm not really expecting any megaton updates for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, tbqh.

The only thing that could top this week would be a Ridley or Tingle playable character update. I expect to see a lot of stuff we already know, i.e. Little Mac AT, though.

I'm almost positive that AC villager will be playable, and since we've seen so many updates in everything else, I don't expect to see him hidden, so I definitely expect him to be a default character.

Scribble

goomba said:
Is it known if we can fight as Mii's yet?

Heh. No, we don't. I'm not sure that'll happen...

Another thing -- it would be cool if Sakurai decided to add a final character, and put up a poll on the site to let us vote. I can sort of imagine that happening.

I'm almost positive that AC villager will be playable, and since we've seen so many updates in everything else, I don't expect to see him hidden, so I definitely expect him to be a default character.

I hope not. AC Villager seems so generic -- I have no attachment to that character on its own merit. I think Smashville is the perfect Animal Crossing representative. If we HAD to have an AC representative, I'd pick Tom Nook.

Firestorm

Dr.Hadji said:
Which sucks. The oldies looks so boring compared to the new guys.

I dunno, it'd be a waste to get rid of movesets. They might as well make a new character for the new moveset they have in mind so we can keep old and new.

Also an interesting change I saw was in Link's Gale Boomerang. Now if it hits them on the return flight, it brings the opponent close to you. Better combo opportunities =)

Scribble said:

A few megatons will be on the way... like maybe the announcement of a playable demo to download/on a disc!

Believe dammit!!

A Link to the Snitch said:
If they don't use the song from KSS for the Halberd, blood will rain.

Funny you should mention that, a video just went up on IGN a bit ago with the Halberd stage.

The music is indeed the Halberd theme from Meta Knight's Revenge.

flipping_heck said:
A few megatons will be on the way... like maybe the announcement of a playable demo to download/on a disc!

Believe dammit!!
With Future US taking over Nintendo Power, it would be a nice first impression if their first issue (Dec. '07), included a Brawl demo disk!

CreatureX3 said:
With Future US taking over Nintendo Power, it would be a nice first impression if their first issue (Dec. '07), included a Brawl demo disk!

I would bet for the January issue. It's closer to release and the old Nintendo Power was known for putting tons of cool stuff in the January issue for subscribers. It could be for everybody now, with Future on board.

Maybe I should start a new subscription just in case...

Scribble said:
Heh. No, we don't. I'm not sure that'll happen...

Another thing -- it would be cool if Sakurai decided to add a final character, and put up a poll on the site to let us vote. I can sort of imagine that happening.

I hope not. AC Villager seems so generic -- I have no attachment to that character on its own merit. I think Smashville is the perfect Animal Crossing representative. If we HAD to have an AC representative, I'd pick Tom Nook.

But consider this, almost every character has been playable at some time or in some form. Tom Nook has never been playable, while the AC Kid has. Hell, the AC Kid would actually add a newish character - a character with a degree of customization. Include like 20 hats, 20 shirts, and 20 accessories. What would be unique about Tom Nook? Furry?!

Well, AC Kid would be another female character!!

But consider this, almost every character has been playable at some time or in some form. Tom Nook has never been playable, while the AC Kid has. Hell, the AC Kid would actually add a newish character - a character with a degree of customization. Include like 20 hats, 20 shirts, and 20 accessories. What would be unique about Tom Nook? Furry?!

Well, AC Kid would be another female character!!
Have Gannondorf or Meta Knight ever been playable before Smash Bros?

Firestorm

StrikerObi said:
I would bet for the January issue. It's closer to release and the old Nintendo Power was known for putting tons of cool stuff in the January issue for subscribers. It could be for everybody now, with Future on board.

Maybe I should start a new subscription just in case...

Future US is actually doing 13 issues a year instead of 12 like before. 12 Monthly Issue + 1 extra Holiday issue. I don't know how that works for the other mags they do?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I fucking always get those G's mixed up! Gannondorf, Gandal, Gandor, Gannon. I don't even know if any of those are right! I will seriously use almost any word I can think of starting with G, containing a few n's, perhaps an r, and at least two vowels when speaking about lord of the rings and sometimes Zelda.

Jiggy

And how would the Spinner even work?
You jump on and the Spinner carries you forward, doing about a Porygon2 level of damage. It would suck pretty hard competitively, but the casual players would eat it up.

But consider this, almost every character has been playable at some time or in some form.
Yes. Ganondorf, Zelda, and Sheik have been the only characters not playable outside of Smash Bros. (Assuming one doesn't count that CD-i game for Zelda. I don't.)
91.67% of SSB characters to date were playable either beforehand or, in the case of Roy, in a game that was in development at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom