• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ai no Hyouteki 1
tumblr_mtad6bZUlg1qbxqfpo2_250.png

Sakura has good design and Masaomi too in action. Mixed on Masaomi expressions at times, love it overall but maybe she ought to have toned the edge of his face down, it feels a bit too emphasized. Hilarious chapter overall especially the parents, who even says that?

A lot of people's Bleach predictions are spot on. Its not a difficult manga to foresee.

The most noteworthy part of that analysis is her first sentence where she correctly points out that the purpose of the chapter was to make the shingami looks like victors only to reveal the truth at the end. But that's an obvious analysis since Kubo uses that technique once per fight (if not more). I'm pretty sure everyone who read that chapter knew Bazz-B wasn't down and that he was going to pull the "oh you thought you defeated me" line.

As for the rest of the analysis, while elaborate, its not very informative. It's paragraphs of text to explain a concept that she herself already summarized with the bolded lines. We know Reitsu reveals bloodlines because it happened in the chapter. It didn't need a paragraph of explanation to go along with it.

I disagree with you about Bleach being predictable.

There was a precedent of measuring riatsu which happened in chapter 494 the closing chapter. Buzz B´s riatsu matched the shinigami sample with 93% accuracy.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Didn't someone call Yammy being the 0 Espada on here? I seem to remember that.
I think that's just a distorted story from when Kreed made this post a week before Yammy = 0 reveal:
Bleach: Ding dong Ulquiorra's dead! I don't even care about Orihime wanting to touch his hand and everything else that didn't make any sense, this fight being over is the most important thing. Now let's see where Kubo takes the story. Will we go back to the captains vs Aizen and co? Will we go to Rukia vs Yammy? Will we go to the other captains in Hueco Mundo? Will Wonderweiss show up or is he being saved for when the "real" 10 Espada show up for the big "surprise"?

I disagree with you about Bleach being predictable.

There was a precedent of measuring riatsu which happened in chapter 494 the closing chapter. Buzz B´s riatsu matched the shinigami sample with 93% accuracy.
Bleach is super predictable dude. That's why everyone has such high predication accuracy with the series. Not that its necessarily a dock against the series. Bleach is just a Dragonball-esque shonen that follows a very set story structure for every arc and fight. People even know when to expect the plot twists at this point.

And so? Reitsu identifying people isn't anything new.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think that's just a distorted story from when Kreed made this post a week before Yammy = 0 reveal:

Bleach is super predictable dude. That's why everyone has such high predication accuracy with the series. Not that its necessarily a dock against the series. Bleach is just a Dragonball-esque shonen that follows a very set story structure for every arc and fight. People even know when to expect the plot twists at this point.

That's still damn close though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Don't think I've sighed as deeply recently than at "OH YOU THOUGHT I WAS DEFEATED, NUH UH". Tite not even caring anymore.

I really cannot wait for Naruto and Bleach to end. It will be like being released from some cast iron witches curse. Will 2014 be the year, or are both going to stretch to 2015 in agonising drawn out dumb secondary fights?

Don't think I've sighed as deeply recently than at "OH YOU THOUGHT I WAS DEFEATED, NUH UH". Tite not even caring anymore.

I really cannot wait for Naruto and Bleach to end. It will be like being released from some cast iron witches curse. Will 2014 be the year, or are both going to stretch to 2015 in agonising drawn out dumb secondary fights?

I think its physically impossible for Naruto end in 2014. Bleach is most definitely ending before 2015.

grandjedi6

I don't think so. The reactions were funny, but I don't think anyone called it.

God's Beard isn't wrong when he insinuates most shonen is highly predicable. He called a lot of Naruto (which is where he got the Kishimoto nickname), generally he's able to call One Piece and a lot of people have successfully called events in Bleach. Calling an event in any of them isn't any more amazing than figuring out that the lastest X-Man to die is probably going to get resurrected soon because they slavishly adhere to various tropes.
Pretty much. We know how all these arcs are going to play out in the long term and short term. Some are better at tricking us than others, but at the end none of them are particularly shocking events.

But that can be said for most media. Good media that keeps your interest aren't the ones that are super unpredictable, they're the ones that have predictable events but do them in unpredictable ways. And quality writing to mislead the audience is all the better. Though obviously, the longer a series goes, the more the audience starts following onto this and the more predictable everything is. Which is really Naruto, Bleach and One Piece's true problem here.

That's not close at all.. I guess if you call predicting hurricanes in Oklahoma damn close to predicting a tornado then maybe they are close.
The exact event is off but the effect on the storyline was spot on. Lots of people were expecting a troll of some sort along those lines and there being an Espada 0 is similar to there being more powerful espada. The reason no one expected Espada 0 exactly is because people, at the time, didn't expect Kubo to actually contradict himself.

Which is kinda the point with Bleach being predictable. We may not know exactly what the troll will be, but knowing that there will be one, and more importantly, when it'll happen, is what makes Bleach predictable.

KingJ2002

Bleach:

Typical... Captains find new power to fight the enemy. The enemy resurfaces...and the Captains win but are beaten bad enough they're cut out of the storyline until the "all out" battle... where they're completely done in.

Espada fights all over again

Naruto:

great chapter. completely goes into the theme of naruto and the road to get to where he is now.... and sasuke finally doing something but standing there jealous is also a good sign.

not sure what they can do... but a forgotten trump card is always played.

grandjedi6

I think its physically impossible for Naruto end in 2014. Bleach is most definitely ending before 2015.
Yeah, Naruto won't end in 2014. If this was Naruto's final arc, Shonen Jump would be hyping it up as such like they are with Bleach. And I don't think they're about to let anyone pull a Toriyama again.

Bleach might actually last into 2015 too though. Its arcs tend to be fairly long and the pacing slow. And there sure are a lot of letters to still fight through, as well as the "plot twist" that will lead to the real final showdown.

Can't believe they have just 15 minutes left. Sasuke's "perfect" Susanoo is alright, Madara having Senjutsu makes sense.

I love however than everyone got to look into Naruto's heart, how he had seen great, close people die and how much he doesn't anyone anyone else to.

Bleach was ok, I like the Knight Quincy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People don't like Attack on Titan because its popular.

There, I said it.

Soma

People don't like Attack on Titan because its popular.

There, I said it.

One of the reasons perhaps.

I really do like the series (both the anime and manga) but to dismiss (some more or less perfectly valid) complaints and put it all on popularity is kinda disingenuous.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One of the reasons perhaps.

I really do like the series (both the anime and manga) but to dismiss (some more or less perfectly valid) complaints and put it all on popularity is kinda disingenuous.

"The art sucks" is a valid complaint, but "I was blindsided by the titans being people" strikes me as being roughly the same level of criticism as "I don't like One Piece because the Strawhats aren't organized criminals."

Its one thing if the concept isn't "for you" but that element appears so early in the series as to be odd to complain it ruined everything.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
BLEACH D+

This is boring so far yo. I don't mind the call backs and the "have to use alternative methods from bankai"...those are actually good, but lets see some better execution bruh. Kubo I expect more in the upcoming fights with actual important people.

Kabe no Naka no Tenshi 1-2

We need more manga about artists. This was too good and way memorable with its theme of the artists making the mural of sorts and then them coming to life. Lorenz was quite good, Julian and Marion too. The whole climactic plot point (figured something like it would happen) was done really well and emotionally intense. I wish I could forget and reread it again, so good. Bikke is such a good mangaka.

"The art sucks" is a valid complaint, but "I was blindsided by the titans being people" strikes me as being roughly the same level of criticism as "I don't like One Piece because the Strawhats aren't organized criminals."

Its one thing if the concept isn't "for you" but that element appears so early in the series as to be odd to complain it ruined everything.

We've gone over this song and dance before, not liking the direction the series takes is a valid complaint even if it happens really early. Eren's titan shifting abilities completely trump any normal human ability to fight titans and completely changes the direction the series takes.

Angry Grimace

We've gone over this song and dance before, not liking the direction the series takes is a valid complaint even if it happens really early. Eren's titan shifting abilities completely trump any normal human ability to fight titans and completely changes the direction the series takes.

Yeah, but not liking a concept from the get-go makes it difficult to trust an opinion as being a valid judgment of quality. Its just not a specific enough critcism in my mind, yet its by far the most common one I hear.

Its like if I told you 7 Seeds sucks because I hate shojo/josei.

Akito

Levi > Titan Eren, heck even Mikasa could probably beat his ass.

Angry Grimace

Levi > Titan Eren, heck even Mikasa could probably beat his ass.

Exactly. Its not even true! Eren loses every fight he's in and the Scout squad does far better on their own in practically every fight so far.

Angry Grimace

Just because Eren sucks doesn't mean his power isn't OP, it just means Eren sucks

But its not OP, particularly not in context. The only thing he can reliably fight is complete fodder titans.

But because he sucks, there is no real power shift between humanity and the titans like you suggest. Not until they find the basement anyway.

I mean OP not just in being more powerful, but being the fact the plot now entirely revolves around him being humanities "last hope". Yes Eren was always the main character but I liked him better when he was just another soldier with a passion for revenge/seeing the outside world then "the chosen one". That's why I loved the idea of him being killed and the plot shifting to Mikasa, she was naturally becoming a leader and a very skilled fighter who could take on Titans.

In the end I've accepted the direction the series took, and I do enjoy it for what it is. The mysteries the series has built upon since the reveal of titan shifters has made it more enjoyable.

Kreed

Bleach:

That's still damn close though.

While I agree with Bleach being predictable a lot of the time, when I was talking about the 10 "real" Espada, I was referencing the theory some members of this manga community had that the reason the Espada were so weak/weren't what Hitsugaya hyped them up to be ("If Aizen gets 10 of them, all of Soul Society is doomed" "Oh, well I have 20") was because they weren't made from Vasto Lordes and that Aizen had a secret group of Vasto Lorde level Espada (Wonderweiss possibly being a part of the group) hanging around somewhere. The Yammy thing is still ranked highly among the most ridiculously stupid things I've read in a shounen manga (especially when the reveal didn't amount to anything in regards to his effectiveness), but it was still a surprise.

Angry Grimace

But because he sucks, there is no real power shift between humanity and the titans like you suggest. Not until they find the basement anyway.

I don't think making SnK a zombie movie with giant zombies would have been as awesome as people seem to believe.

Angry Grimace

Well it was awesome enough to make it the next big thing in anime/manga

You make it sound like the first volume is the only popular one. The human titans appear in like chapter 10 or so; I don't think that argument follows.

You make it sound like the first volume is the only popular one. The human titans appear in like chapter 10 or so; I don't think that argument follows.

The series exploded when the anime started, sales of the volume blew up, plans to localize all the volumes in English, and Funi's announcement of a dub all came within the first 2 months. Heck Funi announced plans for a dub before the rogue titan was revealed to be Eren. At that point it didn't matter what direction the series took, it had already lured everyone in and began to print money.

Angry Grimace

The series exploded when the anime started, sales of the volume blew up, plans to localize all the volumes in English, and Funi's announcement of a dub all came within the first 2 months. Heck Funi announced plans for a dub before the rogue titan was revealed to be Eren. At that point it didn't matter what direction the series took, it had already lured everyone in and began to print money.

Are you suggesting that SNK's popularity is because that everyone is too stupid to stop reading something they don't like?

Are you suggesting that SNK's popularity is because that everyone is too stupid to stop reading something they don't like?

No, you said "I don't think making SnK a zombie movie with giant zombies would have been as awesome as people seem to believe." and I'm pointing out the series got really popular based upon that premise. I never said people are still reading SnK out of hate or because they're dumb, I said the series got popular based upon zombie movie with giant zombies. While I wasn't happy with the direction the series took not everyone was as upset about it as I was, and even people who thought it was dumb grew to accept it and still enjoy the series for what it's become.

Angry Grimace

No, you said "I don't think making SnK a zombie movie with giant zombies would have been as awesome as people seem to believe." and I'm pointing out the series got really popular based upon that premise. I never said people are still reading SnK out of hate or because they're dumb, I said the series got popular based upon zombie movie with giant zombies. While I wasn't happy with the direction the series took not everyone was as upset about it as I was, and even people who thought it was dumb grew to accept it and still enjoy the series for what it's become.

But that's my point: that isn't the premise.

Attack on Titan Chaps 1-20

So, I'm enjoying this series and all (haven't watched the anime and avoided threads and anytime its discussed here for no spoilers)

But...one question....

How am I supposed to "interpret" Mikasa and Eren's....relationship. The manga says they're siblings, but Mikasa is like fucking obsessed with dude. Is this romantic love? BigBrotherWorship? Is this something that's addressed later on down the road? Because her obsession with him isn't a one time thing, it's CONSTANTLY reaffirmed.

But that's my point: that isn't the premise.

How would you write a back of the box blurb for Attack on Titan? Would you at all mention titan shifting? No, you would talk about giant man eating titans and humans who live in a giant wall to protect themselves until a massive titan appears and destroys the wall and now humans have to fight back or face extinction. That is the premise the series is based upon, that is the hook that got people to pick it up and read/watch it. The premise of the series is not "man eating titans break though the walls and humanities last hope lies in Eren a guy who can turn into a titan himself" as Eren's titan powers are meant to be a twist and the audience is lead to believe he's killed off early.

Imagine if Deathnote had started with Light becoming a vigilante killing "criminals" to make the world a better place, and then later he found the death note. Or if Code Geass started with LeLouch forming a rebellion to overthrow his fathers empire and then later discovered the power of Geass. Even though it's introduced early in the plot, it's a complete shift in direction that would completely dominate the direction the rest of the plot takes. If there was a build up to the twist or a good justification for it then there isn't a reason to complain. Eren's titan powers are not foreshadowed at all minus one nightmare scene which raises more questions then answers. If titan shifting was meant to be the focus of the series it should have been introduced in chapter 1.

How am I supposed to "interpret" Mikasa and Eren's....relationship. The manga says they're siblings, but Mikasa is like fucking obsessed with dude. Is this romantic love? BigBrotherWorship? Is this something that's addressed later on down the road? Because her obsession with him isn't a one time thing, it's CONSTANTLY reaffirmed.

She wants the D

Did you miss the flashback about how they met and how Mikasa became a member of the Jaeger family? He saved her and gave her a reason to live again so that's why he has become everything she will live for, especially now that he's all family she has left. There may be some romantic feelings involved but I think she's mostly (overly) worried about him because she knows from experience that he'll always get into trouble when she's not around.

This is all true as well, but I'm sticking with wanting the D as the current main reason

Akito

So, I'm enjoying this series and all (haven't watched the anime and avoided threads and anytime its discussed here for no spoilers)

But...one question....

Did you miss the flashback about how they met and how Mikasa became a member of the Jaeger family? He saved her and gave her a reason to live again so that's why he has become everything she will live for, especially now that he's all family she has left. There may be some romantic feelings involved but I think she's mostly (overly) worried about him because she knows from experience that he'll always get into trouble when she's not around.

Angry Grimace

But...one question....

Mikasa is in love with Eren. It's all there in the manual. I didn't think it was anything other than super obvious.

Aizo

Banned
Yeah, but not liking a concept from the get-go makes it difficult to trust an opinion as being a valid judgment of quality. Its just not a specific enough critcism in my mind, yet its by far the most common one I hear.

Its like if I told you 7 Seeds sucks because I hate shojo/josei.

I don't dislike Shingeki no Kyojin, but I do think it's average.The titan shifting changed the series into something more like mainstream shōnen, and the same twist is used over and over. It's just a bit tiring, I think. I don't find the series that interesting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

But...one question....

They aren't actually related. She totally wants his D.

Bleach

Whoa the buffoon's poor sister is likely dead. Holy fuck Kubo that is hardcore!

Sui Feng has a nice power up but I'm more interested in the Quincy abilities. Buzz B has half his body frozen lol.

Can't wait for the fight to continue.

Naruto

The chapters seem to get better when the focus is on Sauce vs his lover Naruto lol.

Overall a bad/decent chapter. If it wasn't for all those damn flashback panels taking up space then I would have said it was a good chapter.

Also can Naruto stop crying so much? I mean geez cry after the battle when you have to bury the dead.

No One Piece makes this week feel empty just like when Bleach was on it's break. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom