• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribble

Zeed said:
Even if we accept this as truth (and not as a result of posture), it still doesn't support your position whatsoever because the Prime design doesn't have a pelvis sticking out either (in fact, the Prime crotch-piece is completely smooth while the Zero Mission design is polygonal, like the Brawl model).

Crotch matters aside, I'm not going to argue that the Brawl Samus looks like the Metroid Prime Samus, which it doesn't. I just wanted to know *what* the differences were, which is why I asked the question in the first place (wasn't rhetorical).

It obviously shares more in common with the ZM Samus. Going back to the crotch however, there are some screens which suggest that her crotch is smooth as the MP version, and some which suggest that her crotch is as jaggedy -- but not AS huge and jaggedy -- as the Brawl version.

Again, NOTHING, not a single element of Prime has yet been shown, and it's a matter of record that Retro has provided Sakurai's team with NOTHING. If there's Prime material, Sakurai's built it from scratch, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Wrong. The direct quote from the interview is this:

Kensuke Tanabe: “Unfortunately, I did not talk with Mr. Sakurai about Metroid Prime 3 at all. If Samus in Super Smash Bros. Brawl uses Hypermode, I will be surprised in various ways.”

There's only two Metroid updates on the site (Not counting special moves), and a Norfair confirmation, as well as a Metroid AT confirmation. The Metroid AT is expected, Prime or not Prime. Norfair is expected -- classic Metroid location. I'm guessing that the Prime stage would be a 'bigger' update. So they didn't include it in the demo much like they didn't include Tingle as a playable character.

Jiggy

Tuesdaytons:
May 22nd (site opening) - The Musicians + Battlefield + basic rules
September 18th (100th update) - Wi-Fi Play

Great updates:
October 2nd - Snake movie + Shadow Moses Island stage

Everything else:
Final smash mechanic + Mario's final smash, Poke Balls + Groudon, Yoshi's Island stage, Pikachu's final smash, Legend of Zelda music, Bowser profile, Dr. Wright assist trophy, Deoxys, Yoshi profile, Pitfall item, Ike's moves, Devil assist trophy, Subspace Army movie, Andross assist + special moves mechanic (with Meta Knight's demoed), Diddy Kong's moves, Lyn assist, Diddy Kong's final smash, Kirby's final smash + Wario Ware music

Total update days: 21
Total updates: 28
Shares: 10.7% music, 10.7% stages, 10.7% Smash 101/techniques, 3.6% game modes, 3.6% character movies, 14.3% final smashes, 10.7% Poke Balls, 7.1% veteran characters, 14.3% assist trophies, 3.6% items, 7.1% character moves, 3.6% story mode, 0% newcomers

Clearly the only safe prediction
if I want to become famous by being right against all the odds pointing otherwise
is a newcomer. But who?

All past and present Smash Bros main characters from a main series (sales-wise):
Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Fox, Kirby, Samus, Link, Young Link, Pikachu, Zero Suit Samus, Pokemon Trainer, Snake, Sonic (48.57%)

All past and present Smash Bros main characters from a secondary series:
Captain Falcon, Ness, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, Marth, Roy, Pit, Wario, Ike, Lucas (28.57%)

All past and present Smash Bros secondary characters from a main series:
Falco, Zelda, Sheik, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight (22.86%)

All past and present Smash Bros secondary characters from a secondary series:
None (0%)

Safe bet is a Sagi/Milly/Guillo team from Baten Kaitos Origins. You have to rotate them frequently in order to set up relay combos.

careksims

Zeed said:
Nothing less than a playable demo will placate the angry masses. I don't care if it's just two characters and one stage, I'll take it.

Yeah! Just one or two stages with 4 chars, as someone mentioned, and I will be a very happy camper.

Jiggy

I would have settled for two characters and one stage until the team started putting together demos for Japan and later the US. Just print thousands of copies of the E For All demo disc and sell it. The public would eat it up, I'm sure, and so would I.

Zeed

Banned
Scribble said:
Wrong. The direct quote from the interview is this:

Kensuke Tanabe: “Unfortunately, I did not talk with Mr. Sakurai about Metroid Prime 3 at all. If Samus in Super Smash Bros. Brawl uses Hypermode, I will be surprised in various ways.”
Okay, you have a point here. But I read that statement as being indicative of a general lack of communication between the two teams. It certainly doesn't bode well for Prime, and I'll personally be surprised if we see, say, Phenandra Drifts make it in.

There's only two Metroid updates on the site (Not counting special moves), and a Norfair confirmation, as well as a Metroid AT confirmation.
Did you count the music update?

Scribble

Zeed said:
Okay, you have a point here. But I read that statement as being indicative of a general lack of communication between the two teams. It certainly doesn't bode well for Prime, and I'll personally be surprised if we see, say, Phenandra Drifts make it in.

Did you count the music update?

Oops, forgot about that.

Did the "Boss Battle" music become Ridley's Theme in Metroid Prime, by the way?

Zeed

Banned
Scribble said:
Did the "Boss Battle" music become Ridley's Theme in Metroid Prime, by the way?
Unless I'm very much mistaken that's always been Ridley's Theme, though it wasn't used in Corruption.

Jiggy

It was in Corruption. Unless I'm just so delusional that I imagined it to be there when it wasn't, which is always possible. >_>

Zeed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
It was in Corruption. Unless I'm just so delusional that I imagined it to be there when it wasn't, which is always possible. >_>
I'm 90% sure it wasn't used in Corruption.
Both Ridley fights have their own theme instead

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder what that other game Sakurai is developing is. He did mention he was working on another project besides Brawl.

Zeed said:
I'm 90% sure it wasn't used in Corruption.
Both Ridley fights have their own theme instead

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder what that other game Sakurai is developing is. He did mention he was working on another project besides Brawl.

Wiiteos?

Zeed said:
You said "exactly".
1. Helmet - The lines, shape of the visor, and placement of tubes are different.

Well, the Smash version is a bit more cartoony than the other, but it's not too far off to be honest.

2. Shoulders - Almost completely different in design. There is next to no resemblance here.

what
Comments in bold.

The Hermit

Hey guys remember this?
DON'T ASK FOR MY SOURCE. You will not be disappointed...

There are 34 playable characters (excluding transformations).
There are 20 starting characters, 14 hidden characters.
Six characters have been removed from the last game.
One of the "Original 12" has been removed.
There are 15 newcomers (excluding transformations).
All but one of the represented franchises from Super Smash Bros. Melee will be returning.
Two character profiles will be revealed this coming week at the DOJO!! (one veteran and one newcomer).

Mock me now if you must, but I'll certainly be having the last laugh. By the end of the week, you'll see that I'm correct with at least two of the above points.

This was posted here 2 months(!) ago in the 8/13-17 week when both Pokemon Trainer and Peach were unveiled. Obviously we don't know for sure if this is true, but lets just assume it is ok?
Anyway, since we now have more info, what can we speculate now?

My guesses:
The original removed is most likely Ness.
So far we have 9 newcomer (excluding Zero Suit Samus) so 6 to go, according to him.
I guess game and Watch is out :(
6 character from the last game... hm... I guess pichu is a safe bet... dunno about the rest...

Do you think this is worth guessing or is just a waste of time?

Jiggy

I'm only 64% done with my second run through Corruption, but I'll start a new game after that to check. I seriously thought I heard Ridley's theme, but--again, maybe that's just because I'm so used to it being there that I imagine it even when it isn't. >_>
I know the second fight didn't have it, though.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Megaman this week, guys!

What day is the Capcom Conference again? Wednesday?

Thats the day, baby!!!!

Zeed

Banned
Baiano19 said:
Waste of time, that guy started making other claims which never came to fruition.

Instead let's speculate on MY inside sauce.

My inside sauce says that in addition to Marth returning in Brawl, Megaman cometh this week. Believe.

I don't have time to keep up with this monstrous thread, but I saw on another forum there is a scan from a Japanese magazine in which Lucas appears to be using a snake as a whip. Is this old news?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Baiano19 said:
Hey guys remember this?

This was posted here 2 months(!) ago in the 8/13-17 week when both Pokemon Trainer and Peach were unveiled. Obviously we don't know for sure if this is true, but lets just assume it is ok?
Anyway, since we now have more info, what can we speculate now?

My guesses:
The original removed is most likely Ness.
So far we have 9 newcomer (excluding Zero Suit Samus) so 6 to go, according to him.
I guess game and Watch is out :(
6 character from the last game... hm... I guess pichu is a safe bet... dunno about the rest...

It still is just a random baseless rumor. Nothing else has come true. It's even more doubtful now since there is some evidence supporting Game and Watch returning

Scribble

Baiano19 said:

Yeah, this guy took the GameFAQs Brawl Boards by storm. Everyone dubbed him a prophet, and it was full of threads titled "DO U BELIEVE IN THE PROFET". A lot of people actually believed this guy, although he was just some random guy who typed up that crap.

He was lucky enough for two of his predictions to come true (The week where we got one newcomer and one veteran). Nevertheless, his luck ran out when he predicted the next newcomer as Lucas, when it was in fact Pokemon Trainer. Or Diddy. Or someone, I forgot. The guy then came out and said that he was lying all along.

So er, no, don't believe it. It's bullshit.

Zeed said:
Waste of time, that guy started making other claims which never came to fruition.

Instead let's speculate on MY inside sauce.

My inside sauce says that in addition to Marth returning in Brawl, Megaman cometh this week. Believe.

My inside sauce says that in addition to Marth not returning in Brawl, Megaman will not cometh this week. Believe.

The Hermit

grandjedi6 said:
It still is just a random baseless rumor. Nothing else has come true. It's even more doubtful now since there is some evidence supporting Game and Watch returning

What evidence?
BTW, I'm with Zeed about megaman... with this Capcom thing and all.

Rindain

Banned
MrCheez said:
Megaman this week, guys!

What day is the Capcom Conference again? Wednesday?

Thats the day, baby!!!!

I was thinking that too, but if they announce Megaman at the Capcom conference then what Gigaton announcements will tide us over through February 10?

grandjedi6

Baiano19 said:
What evidence?
BTW, I'm with Zeed about megaman... with this Capcom thing and all.

Each of the series icons have a number for them. So far there is 20

Franchises first appearing in Super Smash Bros.
1. Smash Bros.
2. Donkey Kong
3. Star Fox
4. Kirby
5. F-Zero
6. Metroid
7. Earthbound
8. Pokemon
9. Legend of Zelda
10. Mario
11. Yoshi

Franchises first starting in Melee
12. Fire Emblem
13. ???
14. Ice Climber

Franchises introduced in Brawl

15. Animal Crossing
16. WarioWare
17. Metal Gear
18. Kid Icarus
19. ???
20. Sonic

Number 13 is most likely Game and Watch. Number 19 could be a Nintendo series like Pikmin or a 3rd party like Megaman

Zeed

Banned
Protip - Take the Japanese names of the franchises from 15 to 20. You'll find that they're in alphabetical order.

15. Animal Forest
16. Made in Wario
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. Myth of Light
19. ROCKMAN
20. Sonic

Just 'sayin.

Jiggy

If 13 is indeed Game and Watch, the alphabetical part applies to the Melee section too, I think. Unless G&W has a Japanese name I don't know about.

grandjedi6

Zeed said:
Protip - Take the Japanese names of the franchises from 15 to 20. You'll find that they're in alphabetical order.

15. Animal Forest
16. Made in Wario
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. Myth of Light
19. ROCKMAN
20. Sonic

Just 'sayin.

The alphabetic theory has too many holes in it. They keep switching between character names, specific games names and series names to make the order work. The theory is probably false

MisterHero

Zeed said:

15. Animal Forest
16. Made in Wario
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. Myth of Light
19. ROCKMAN
20. Sonic

Just 'sayin.
RYU

ryu's a franchise, rite?

Zeed

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
The alphabetic theory has too many holes in it. They keep switching between character names, specific games names and series names to make the order work. The theory is probably false
Sometimes the character names are the franchise names, if you have any specific inconsistencies to point out I'd love to see the theory debunked.

...But Megaman is still coming, so says my inside sauce at NOA. Count on it!

Rindain said:
I was thinking that too, but if they announce Megaman at the Capcom conference then what Gigaton announcements will tide us over through February 10?
Crono + VC release of said game.
Believe

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Megaman seems a no-brainer to me.

He just seems such a good fit to the game, as well as an obvious choice to represent Capcom.

Am I the only one who doesnt want jigglypuff in this game? It was funny the first 2 games.. but now ... just no... another single pokeman plz.

Oh , tonight's update will be Torchic. Mark my words.

grandjedi6

Zeed said:
Sometimes the character names are the franchise names, if you have any specific inconsistencies to point out I'd love to see the theory debunked.

...But Megaman is still coming, so says my inside sauce at NOA. Count on it!

The original alphabet theory was:
01: Dairantō Smash Brothers (Super Smash Bros.)
02: Donkī Kongu (Donkey Kong)
03: Fokkusu (Star Fox)
04: Hoshi no Kābii/Kābii (Kirby)
05: Kyaputen Farukon (F-Zero)
06: Metoroido (Metroid)
07: Mother (Earthbound)
08: Pokemon/Poketto Monsutā
09: Rinku (Zelda)
10: Sūpā Mario (Super Mario)
11: Yosshī (Yoshi)
12:Faia Emuburemu (Fire Emblem)
13:
14:popo (Aisu Kuraima) (Ice climbers)
15: Dōbutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing)
16: Made in Wario (Wario Ware)
17:Metal Gear (Metal Gear Solid)
18: Parutena no Kagami (Kid Icarus)
20.Sonic

Of course the alphabetically order of the original franchises doesn't make sense since some use series names and others use character names. Also Wario uses the Wario series icon not the WarioWare one in Brawl.

I agree, adding Megaman would be a nice gesture towards Capcom.

But I still wanna see how Sakurai can incorporate Pikmin into the mix, like what he did with Pokemon Trainer. I can see Olimar controlling several tens of pikmins of various colors while he stays in the background, again, like Pokemon Trainer. Pikmin also fits into that alphabetical theory thing unless it was called something else in Japan.

Jiggy

SuperAndroid17 said:
Am I the only one who doesnt want jigglypuff in this game? It was funny the first 2 games.. but now ... just no... another single pokeman plz.
NO JIGGLYPUFF NO BUY. :mad:
Well, a 35% less happy buy anyway.

Seriously, there's no reason to remove this character.

-She has a unique moveset. Nobody complains about unique movesets; they complain about clones.
-Jigglypuff's been in both Smash Bros games, which means she's a series staple.
-She's a very air-oriented character and one of the goals of the SSBB team is to openly increase aerial freedom.
-Tournament-wise, Jigglypuff was in the high tier, and a valued character.
-Most importantly, Jigglypuff already exists, which means it takes very, very little work to bring her back. All they had to do was take care of balance issues and add a final smash. Unlike any new characters at all, who would require time and resources, including Jigglypuff isn't going to prevent other new characters from being made.

Would I be surprised if Jiggs was out? No, not really, but that's only because I'm a pessimist right now since a great number of my most-wanted games are doing one major thing or other very wrong. Star Ocean 2, Advance Wars DS 2, Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest IV, Kirby Super Star, Fire Emblem DS--all of them will be excellent beyond belief, but nonetheless each has done something I very much don't like.

On the bright side, maybe Brawl being delayed two months and a week fills up the "major thing gone wrong" category, in which case Jigglypuff should return. In fact, I predict Jigglypuff will be the first unlockable first-party character revealed on the Dojo, possibly some time this week--actually, I'll go for the gold and predict Jiggs for tonight. As a serious prediction, none of this Sagi/Milly/Guillo joke stuff.

SuperAndroid17 said:

Oh , tonight's update will be Torchic. Mark my words.

The last smash had 4 pokemon (if i remember correctly). To me that is to many. Plus i dislike
jigglypuff so it's removal would be fine by me.

Darkpen

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
The R&D1 design actually looks like someone could be inside a suit.

Prime... Eugh.
I dunno. I mean, remember those Prime 1 concept art pieces that showed an x-ray look at the female body being inside the suit? I wouldn't say a human body couldn't fit in the Retro design. I mean, maybe she's just really tall, like master chief, so she looks weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom