• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
To be honest, I'm not that broken up about not having anything from Prime. I mean, aside from a level or two, how much could they really take? Samus already has a defined moveset and almost every noteworthy powerup is from the 2D games anyway, except for some beams. The Prime games don't have much in the way of potential playable characters; the other bounty hunters are too insignificant and SA-X would make a better Samus clone than Dark Samus. To be perfectly honest, I think Super Metroid, Metroid II, Metroid, Zero Mission, and Fusion have enough content between them to suffice for the purposes of Brawl.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
Incidentally, having Paula in will never happen, but would probably cause my brain to shut down due to joy overload.

Thing is, though, Ness already has most of Paula's PSI powers. The only PSI power that Ness has that's actually his own is PK Flash. Assuming no moves overlapped between the two, the only PSI options Paula would have are PSI Freeze, PSI Shield, Offense Up and Defense Down. So maybe she's not the best option.
I would have been happy if they took Paula's moves away from Ness, gave them to Paula, and made a new moveset for Ness... But yeah, it'll never happen. :(

Iam Canadian

Ark-AMN said:
I'm sorry, but how the hell does Krystal have a "huge fanbase" to deserve being put into the game?

There are those in the Star Fox fandom that like her. Plus, for better or for worse (actually, just "for worse"), she's become one of the main characters of the series.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
thankfully Krystal is still below Fox, Falco and Wolf in popularity. So far the only thing she really has going for her is that she is female, but we really haven't seen any proof that Sakurai is going to add secondary female charcters just to boost the female ratio

Akai

grandjedi6 said:
thankfully Krystal is still below Fox, Falco and Wolf in popularity. So far the only thing she really has going for her is that she is female, but we really haven't seen any proof that Sakurai is going to add secondary female charcters just to boost the female ratio
Well...That old Smash Brothers poll from way back disagrees...

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)

Scribble said:
But saying that Dark Samus is a variation of Samus is like saying that Shadow is a variation of Sonic and Wolf is a variation of Fox (I don't want Shadow or Wolf in, though =P) Dark Samus would probably be *the* best representative of the Metroid Prime series. If you've played the first two games, you'll know what I mean.

It would be cool if Ridley AND Dark Samus made it in as PCs. Not gonna happen, though. And the main reason I don't want Midna as a PC is because I'd rather have someone which represents the LoZ series as opposed to just Twilight Princess, which is just one fish in a very big sea. Tingle does that perfectly, and represents his whole series.

I wonder why Sakurai hasn't approached Retro -- Brawl is his game, but as Retro have been the Metroid guys for the last few years....
Shadow and Star Wolf would very likely be clone characters of Sonic and Fox -- they're so similar. Some powers would differ, but overall they are very similar. Ridley would be the best choice for another Metroid addition.

Duderz

Banned
Krystal should absolutely not be in this game. Fox and Falco only, any other character can be an assist.

And neither should Dixie. Hell, just about any Rare designed character shouldn't be in this game, sans Diddy obviously.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Xeke said:
Ick. That stage needs to vanish. Fights there take way too long and it's easy for people to survive far longer than they should by hiding down below.
I like that you can survive for a long time. In most stages you can easily get knocked off when you've got a high percentage, but in hyrule temple you can survive even if you've got a high percentage and someone hits you because the level is so big. The battles on that stage can be a lot more spread out. Usually fights can get very chaotic on the small stages, but hyrule temple can give you a bit of breathing space.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Iam Canadian said:
To be honest, I'm not that broken up about not having anything from Prime. I mean, aside from a level or two, how much could they really take? Samus already has a defined moveset and almost every noteworthy powerup is from the 2D games anyway, except for some beams. The Prime games don't have much in the way of potential playable characters; the other bounty hunters are too insignificant and SA-X would make a better Samus clone than Dark Samus. To be perfectly honest, I think Super Metroid, Metroid II, Metroid, Zero Mission, and Fusion have enough content between them to suffice for the purposes of Brawl.
Prime succeeded in, above all else, bringing amazing alien locales and environments into 3D. They should at least use the Prime team's input for a stage. An authentic Bryyo or Sanctuary stage could be much more impressive than just adapting the 2D Metroid aesthetic into 3D.

Iam Canadian

monkey79 said:
Lucas scans. Not sure if these have been posted yet.

They're old. I might have made some reference to orgasm when I first saw those, but considering those pictures of are a preteen boy character, that would have been just wrong.

That reminds me, where's Ami? He is overdue.

grandjedi6

Akai said:

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Krystal(3)

I just don't understand people sometimes. When was that poll taken again, I forget
Shig said:
Prime succeeded in, above all else, bringing amazing alien locales and environments into 3D. They should at least use the Prime team's input for a stage. An authentic Bryyo or Sanctuary stage could be much more impressive than just adapting the 2D Metroid aesthetic into 3D.
Sadly Retro has already confirmed that they didn't give any assets to the Brawl team :(

Akai

grandjedi6 said:
I just don't understand people sometimes. When was that poll taken again, I forget
Sometime in mid-to-late 2005, I think? I personally don't see what the big deal is...If done right, they could take her Star Fox Adventures model and give her the staff, and you have a nice, unique character...It actually amuses me that some people would rather take the cloney clone Falco over a unique move list, but whatever...*shrug*

grandjedi6

Akai said:
Sometime in mid-to-late 2005, I think? I personally don't see what the big deal is...If done right, they could take her Star Fox Adventures model and give her the staff, and you have a nice, unique character...It actually amuses me that some people would rather take the cloney clone Falco over a unique move list, but whatever...*shrug*

Personally I don't care if she is in or out of Brawl, I'm just being negative for the dramatic effect. I just never knew Krystal had such a large fanbase

ShockingAlberto said:
I want Mona in.

ashleyhexalberto.jpg

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Shig said:
I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't see any prime related stage. There's been three prime games that have been released in the last few years, so there should be something prime related in the game. There's so many nice looking environments in the prime games that could be made into a really nice looking stage.

GamerSoul

Akai said:

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Krystal(3)

Krystal Am confirmed. :/

Today's stage update is prtty damn huge. Looks like you can get lost in that inner city.

GamerSoul

Scribble said:
Eh, I know you guys hate Krystal, but most character predictions are made based on who is most likely, and not just personal preference. Otherwise we'd all be randomly shouting Goombario for Brawl! Or Ryo Hazuki for Brawl!

Let's look at the most popular, 'most major' or most significant Nintendo ladeez:

Krystal
Dixie Kong
Tiny Kong
Micaiah (Fire Emblem RD/Wii)
Kumatora (Mother 3)
Mona
Ashley
Kat and Ana
Jody Summers
Daisy
Pauline
Captain Syrup
Dark Samus
Paula
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)
Lip
Midna
Tetra

I'd be extremely suprised if any new playable female characters did not come from this list, their corresponding series are already confirmed anyways.. And out of that whole list, Capt. Syrup is the only boss.

ShockingAlberto said:
I like Ashley, too, but Mona and Young Cricket would be my first choices.
I would go with Kat and Ana. Since they can bring some cool ninja moves! :D

But I do have a feeling that Krystal will be showing up playable in Brawl.

Scribble

ShockingAlberto said:
I want Mona in.

So do I.

There will not be anything from the Prime series in Brawl. It's not going to happen. Sakurai is ignoring the series. To be honest Sakurai is basically ignoring everything thats not either popular in Japan or Made in Japan.

But why do you think that? We associate that kind of behaviour with Japanese developers, but how do we know that it specifically applies to Sakurai?

The Prime games don't have much in the way of potential playable characters; the other bounty hunters are too insignificant and SA-X would make a better Samus clone than Dark Samus. To be perfectly honest, I think Super Metroid, Metroid II, Metroid, Zero Mission, and Fusion have enough content between them to suffice for the purposes of Brawl.

Dark Samus wouldn't be a Samus clone, because DS has different moves. And we already have SA-X in the game -- Just choose Samus in her original costume and pretend :D

Krystal's more likely than Wolf, btw.

grandjedi6

Scribble said:
So do I.

But why do you think that? We associate that kind of behaviour with Japanese developers, but how do we know that it specifically applies to Sakurai?

Dark Samus wouldn't be a Samus clone, because DS has different moves. And we already have SA-X in the game -- Just choose Samus in her original costume and pretend :D

Krystal's more likely than Wolf, btw.

For every series other than Metroid Sakurai has used the latest assests. There hasn't been anything Prime related yet and we even know that Retro didn't give the Brawl team any assets. It saddens me but Prime just isn't going to be in Brawl.

As for Sakurai ignoring non-Japanese games/popular Japanese games, I'm assuming that since Sakurai has put in vague Japanese only items but hasn't even put in the Prime series dispite its popularity.

I could easily be proven wrong on the second point but Prime still isn't coming :(

Iam Canadian

Scribble said:

Well, Retro has said that Sakurai hasn't asked for any of Retro's Prime assets. Every new Metroid aspect we've seen in this game so far is from the non-Prime games. ZSS is from Zero Mission, the Fusion Suit trophy is from Fusion, and Norfair is from the Zebes games. So there's still a possibility of Prime material, but I doubt it.

MetatronM said:
Shouldn't Yoshi's Island be under YOSHI and not MARIO. It even uses the Yoshi franchise icon on the Dojo site.

Yup - will be sorted.

Well, while I wouldn't go as far as to suggest Sakurai has a general "only Japanese/Japanese-oriented" attitude with the inclusion of new characters etc., it does seem from what has been revealed of Samus so far that the 3D - Western - Metroid games are being ignored in favour of games like Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion:

-- No Prime-style suit or moves
-- No Prime-inspired levels (returning to Norfair instead, for example)
-- Zero Suit Samus instead of, say, Dark Samus

Even when it comes to details like morph ball bombs or super missiles, the inspiration is clearly the 2D series.

Scribble

What do they specifically mean by "assets", anyway? If they were creating, say, a Phendrana Drifts stage, would they really need Retro's help?

And what stuff do people actually want from Prime, anyway?

I guess, but most characters kept their old movesets. Sakurai didn't even use anything from Super Princess Peach >=/

We can't really use this as evidence -- it's only one level.

Dark Samus would be a playable character, and we know there's a *huge* queue for playable characters already, which includes Ridley. Zero Suit Samus is probably more important since Samus "appearing out of her suit" has been a huge gimmick from the beginning.

Scribble said:
What do they specifically mean by "assets", anyway? If they were creating, say, a Phendrana Drifts stage, would they really need Retro's help?

And what stuff do people actually want from Prime, anyway?
Speaking personally, I'd like a Sanctuary level.

MisterHero

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, while I wouldn't go as far as to suggest Sakurai has a general "only Japanese/Japanese-oriented" attitude with the inclusion of new characters etc., it does seem from what has been revealed of Samus so far that the 3D - Western - Metroid games are being ignored in favour of games like Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion:

Even when it comes to details like morph ball bombs or super missiles, the inspiration is clearly the 2D series.

F-Zero has a western (comic book) aesthetic. I don't see it being very ignored. Though Zero Mission was adapted for a similar western aesthetic, even Samus' design retains elements from Prime.

Though I might agree if Sakurai thought that most of Retro's designs may be too complex compared to the rest of the character designs.

I'd like them to follow the latest Metroid storyline by making the Fusion Suit playable. As for Prime, maybe the different suits could appear as palette swaps. Maybe a Boost Ball item that works like the Screw Attack but causes who ever uses it/catches makes them speed around horizontally in a ball-shape. :D

As for a level, I'd like to see the sunken Pirate Base from Prime 1. :D

Scribble said:

Well, it does appear that the relevant studios/teams have been providing The Studio with updated models etc. for the game, so Retro saying they haven't been approached does suggest that their version of Metroid won't be making the cut.

I guess, but most characters kept their old movesets. Sakurai didn't even use anything from Super Princess Peach >=/

Yes, he did - for her Final Smash. Other character like Donkey Kong - Konga Beat, Rumble Falls - or Mario - FLUDD, Delfino Plaza - have elements that call on their more recent titles as well.

We can't really use this as evidence -- it's only one level.

Fair point, but when Rumble Falls - a DKJB-inspired level - is the first DK stage seen, to see Norfair being rolled out as the only Metroid stage so far does make you wonder if they are going to look to more recent games for inspiration or whether it will just be another rising lava/acid/whatever from one of the 8/16-bit games.

Dark Samus would be a playable character, and we know there's a *huge* queue for playable characters already, which includes Ridley. Zero Suit Samus is probably more important since Samus "appearing out of her suit" has been a huge gimmick from the beginning.

Hm. Good point.

Iam Canadian

I don't think Sakurai is biased against North America. There's a Punch-Out! Assist Trophy and that series was never popular in Japan.

Insaniac

ya know, thinking about it, i'd like to see a metroid level with metroids that float around and can randomly attach to you and drain energy. They wouldn't come off unless you got hit by an opponent. Maybe like the GFS Valhalla, or Phazon mines

Jiggy

I wouldn't mind seeing Tallon Overworld make it in, even if only for the music. Actually, the soundtrack is probably the only part of Prime that Prime 3 didn't retroactively render moot...

Iam Canadian said:
I don't think Sakurai is biased against North America. There's a Punch-Out! Assist Trophy and that series was never popular in Japan.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he is, rather that from what has been seen so far it appears that the 3D Metroids are being sidelined in favour of the 2D installments.

Of course, knowing the history of Dojo updates I'll probably wake up tomorrow to see a triple update with Sanctuary Fortress, a Phendrana Drifts remix and a Rundas Assist Trophy!

Insaniac said:
ya know, thinking about it, i'd like to see a metroid level with metroids that float around and can randomly attach to you and drain energy. They wouldn't come off unless you got hit by an opponent. Maybe like the GFS Valhalla, or Phazon mines

Just checking, but weren't Metroids one of the assist trophies in the demo version the press got to play with last week?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Insaniac said:
Well we already know of the Metroid assist trophy so unfortunately I don't see them also being a stage hazard.

PkunkFury

I still think we will see a Prime influence somewhere, either as a level, or in adventure mode. Fusion and Zero mission also came out after SSBM and can be represented as well. It looks like Norfair is modeled a bit after the Zero Mission style. It's possible Sakurai knows people on the ZM team or something.

Sakurai may have gotten help from Retro since that interview, or he may have just gone to some of the Japanes members of the Prime team and left the rest of Retro in the dark. Don't forget, Metroid Prime Pinball was made in Japan and was very faithful to the series. Also, we had two metroid stages last time, there could be three this time around. That said, If Ridley is in, I expect them to go with the 2D design as opposed to Prime's Meta-style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom