• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
grandjedi6 said:
What does he mean check out the Japanese Dojo. It doesn't tell me anything. Can one of our Japanese Gaffers look into this?
To find our what the Japanese claim is on Meowth's head.

Believe it or not, but you can use four controller types with this game! But everyone seems to wonder the most about how the Wii Remote works when held sideways.

Please allow me to explain.

basic07_071017a.gif

+Control Pad : Move

Press left or right to walk and press up to jump.

If you’re in a real hurry, press twice. Press left or right twice to run and press down for a short time to fall through some floors.

basic07_071017b-l.jpg

Press sideways twice to dash!

2 Button : Basic Moves

Just press the button for a standard attack. Press it while pressing a direction on the +Control Pad for a strong attack.

You can perform smash attacks in one of the following ways:

1: Press the 1 Button and the 2 Button at the same time.
2: Press any direction on the +Control Pad and the 2 Button at the same time.
Just pick whichever one is easiest for you!!

basic07_071017c-l.jpg

Press the 2 Button at the same time you press up, sideways, or down!

1 Button : Special Moves

The direction you press will determine what kind of special move you do.

basic07_071017d-l.jpg

You have four special moves depending on the direction you pick: neutral, up, sideways, and down.

B Button : Shield

This is in a kind of hard-to-press area, but the button for your shield is near your left index finger.

To dodge, hold down the B Button and press in a direction.

To grab, hold down the B Button and press the 2 Button.

To throw an item, hold down the B Button and press the 2 Button.

basic07_071017e-l.jpg

Using the – Button is the same as pressing B Button and 2 Button. Grab away!

A Button : Taunt

That’s all!

Right now, to grab a Smash Ball, you have to beat on it—not just touch it. Don’t forget!

basic07_071017f-l.jpg

Be the first to pummel it!

When you get a Smash Ball, try a standard special move. In other words, just press the button for your special move without a direction. You will then perform your Final Smash.

This is the same for all control schemes, so keep that in mind.

On October 18 at the E for All (Entertainment For All Expo) in Los Angeles, people will be able to play Brawl. And (perhaps boldly), it will be available for play with the Wii Remote. Is that really going to be OK?

No need for concern—I bet you can play it quite smoothly and simply...maybe. How about a little mental training before the time comes when you actually control it?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Sakurai doesn't seem too happy with the Wiimote controls, considering he expresses doubt every time the subject is brought up. Whether this is a bit of tongue-in-cheek modesty or genuine misgivings, who can say?

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Will Pressing "A" trigger a random taunt out of the three?

or maybe you can press Dpad Down + Taunt, Dpad Right + Taunt and Dpand left + Taunt?

It's probably just random.

m00

underfooter said:
Wait a second, is the Ryu in Street Fighter have any relation to the Ryu of Ninja Gaiden?
Absolutely! Ryu from Street Fighter does have a relation to Ryu from Ninja Gaiden. That relation is, "is infinitely less cool than".

Iam Canadian said:
Yes, and they're both related to the Ryu of Breath of Fire.

I never played Breath of Fire. Let me guess, Ryu is a huge name is Japan.

If Capcom gets a character in, I think it'll be Megaman personally. Any developer that doesn't try to get mascots in Brawl at this point are missing out. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Team Ninja's Ryu, Square's Cloud/Sephiroth, or Konami's something.

Jiggy

-This is the 6th Poke Ball update. But the first Poke Ball update on a Wednesday! Yes, excitement abounds.

-This is the 12th Smash 101/techniques update.

-This is the 14th Pokemon-related update. It further solidifes its position as the most-updated series on the Dojo.

-Because both a Smash 101 and Poke Ball update came today, our five least recent update types are looking better. We're now overdue for items, assist trophies, story mode updates, and (now) a final smash and music.

-Meowth is the second dedicated update about a type of item that was previously in a Smash Bros game, the other being the Bumper. (Specifying "dedicated" because Chikorita and Goldeen also had cameos in the What is a Poke Ball? update. We also know Snorlax, but it's not on the Dojo... edit: ...actually, thanks BGBW, Snorlax is technically on the Dojo via the conference movie. Again, still not a dedicated update, but it's known. :D)

-This is the 19th day to have a double update or better.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Because both a Smash 101 and Poke Ball update came today, our five least recent update types are looking better. We're now overdue for items, assist trophies, story mode updates, and (now) a final smash and music.

This is a pretty good situation to be in. The Final Smash and the item are kind of meh, but Subspace Emissary updates never fail to impress and Assist Trophies usually bring in all sorts of really obscure bits of Nintendo lore, which is always fun.

Stay tuned for a triple update tomorrow, wherein Sakurai confirms that Mega Man isn't in the game, reveals Ness assist trophy and gives us a look at the rare Home-Run Bat!

Iam Canadian

Scalpel Knight said:
Stay tuned for a triple update tomorrow, wherein Sakurai confirms that Mega Man isn't in the game, reveals Ness assist trophy and gives us a look at the rare Home-Run Bat!

That's going to give me nightmares tonight.

On that note, I'm off...

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
Ok. Since at 9 AM it'll be cheating, I predict Mega Man =)
Likewise.

Weeks of updates: 22 (we're in the 22nd)
Days of updates: 107
Character profiles: 22 (1 per week average, also 1 per 4.86 days average)
Weeks without a character profile by number (not counting this one): 4
Weeks without a character profile by percentage (4/21): 19.04%

Mega Man now! :D

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
This is a pretty good situation to be in. The Final Smash and the item are kind of meh, but Subspace Emissary updates never fail to impress and Assist Trophies usually bring in all sorts of really obscure bits of Nintendo lore, which is always fun.
I'm most interested in the next music update. :D We haven't yet had any series get more than one piece of music (or more than one stage for that matter) and I'm definitely awaiting the F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Mother, and Sonic music. Watch it be Ice Climbers or Mario just to spite me, though.

BGBW said:
Fixing, thanks.

Jiggy37 said:
Likewise.

Weeks of updates: 22 (we're in the 22nd)
Days of updates: 107
Character profiles: 22 (1 per week average, also 1 per 4.86 days average)
Weeks without a character profile by number (not counting this one): 4
Weeks without a character profile by percentage (4/21): 19.04%

Mega Man now! :D
Jiggy with the stats. Very nice! :D

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
_Alkaline_ said:
Does everyone think we've received the best updates already? or do people believe there is even more MEGATON to come?
The biggest updates for me were wi-fi play, snake and sonic. The only other things that could be as big as that is another third party playable character or playable ridley.

Jiggy

_Alkaline_ said:
Does everyone think we've received the best updates already? or do people believe there is even more MEGATON to come?
I definitely think we've received the very best of the best by now, but that's certainly not meant to exclude future megatons. :D
Like, you know, a stage editor. And/or an Event Match Creator.

Dreavus

xabre said:
Is there actually a final character count? Who else should we be expecting?

So glad Sonic is in BTW.

Well, considering it's Sakurai, we can expect the unexpected.

But I agree with most of these guys that Megaman is probably the next most likely character, after Sonic, who is of course already in the game.

Koomaster

Dash said:
As for the controls, why can't the "A" button be used to throw? I mean how often do people taunt anyways?
Quite often myself. I'm both an Instant Poser and a Poser Posuer. Even if I don't completely knock someone off a stage, I'll give a little taunt. Even when playing Mario and Young Link, I'll taunt a lot. Taunting is one of my favorite things about Smash. I'll taunt your ass off! :D

Dreavus

Koomaster said:
Quite often myself. I'm both an Instant Poser and a Poser Posuer. Even if I don't completely knock someone off a stage, I'll give a little taunt. Even when playing Mario and Young Link, I'll taunt a lot. Taunting is one of my favorite things about Smash. I'll taunt your ass off! :D

I've found that Kirby's taunt in particular has some "practical" use as well. You have to be playing against the right (wrong?) kind of person for it to work of course, but his taunt can just be downright infuriating sometimes. When I play at school, if it's down to a 1v1 (during a FFA), sometimes I can coax my opponent over to the edge of the stage with enough taunts. And Kirby's edge-game is where he can really shine sometimes. :D

Koomaster

Dreavus said:
I've found that Kirby's taunt in particular has some "practical" use as well. You have to be playing against the right (wrong?) kind of person for it to work of course, but his taunt can just be downright infuriating sometimes. When I play at school, if it's down to a 1v1 (during a FFA), sometimes I can coax my opponent over to the edge of the stage with enough taunts. And Kirby's edge-game is where he can really shine sometimes. :D
Unfortunately, my friends who have played with me a long time have instituted anti-annoyance rules made especially for me when we play.

One of those rules is that I'm only allowed to use Kirby if I don't taunt except to get rid of a power. I think the first 10 minute long match where I taunted every chance I got drove my friends over the edge. HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY! HIIIIAAAAAAAAY!

I love his taunt so much tho! ^_______^

To all those moaning about the A button being used for taunts, you do realize that you can change the button configuration don't you?

I'm happy with the default Wiimote only controls except that I would swap B for A. I'm probably gonna be sticking with the CC though, I've always wanted to use a d-pad for Smash Bros :D

mclem

No-one seems to have commented on this:

When you get a Smash Ball, try a standard special move. In other words, just press the button for your special move without a direction. You will then perform your Final Smash.

I don't think we knew for certain before - although many speculated - that you could choose when to fire your final smash after collecting it?

mclem said:
I don't think we knew for certain before - although many speculated - that you could choose when to fire your final smash after collecting it?

Well, we certainly knew after seeing the footage from Nintendo's event last week. Many of the vids from that show players holding on to the FS until they're in a good position, and there were a couple with commentary from the Treehouse rep saying that you could choose when to unleash the FS.

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, we certainly knew after seeing the footage from Nintendo's event last week. Many of the vids from that show players holding on to the FS until they're in a good position, and there were a couple with commentary from the Treehouse rep saying that you could choose when to unleash the FS.

I think that's pretty cool.

Nintendo have a good thing going with Final Smashes, though i do think someone of them are a bit uneven right now - for example, Peach's is a bit weak, whilst i think Diddy's and Sonic's are too strong.

_Alkaline_ said:
Nintendo have a good thing going with Final Smashes, though i do think someone of them are a bit uneven right now - for example, Peach's is a bit weak, whilst i think Diddy's and Sonic's are too strong.

Well, from what I've seen it appears that the "weak" Smashes are fairly straightforward to execute, but the stronger ones require more skill from the player to execute - for example, although Sonic's FS seems quite powerful, to actually control & target it seems to require a fair bit of skill.

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, from what I've seen it appears that the "weak" Smashes are fairly straightforward to execute, but the stronger ones require more skill from the player to execute - for example, although Sonic's FS seems quite powerful, to actually control & target it seems to require a fair bit of skill.

Yeah that's true, the same goes for Diddy. Those characters move pretty fast during their FS so i guess that balances things up a bit.

I've noticed some Final Smashes only affect one player, like Link's. Do players suffering this FS have any way of surviving? Or is it an instant KO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom