• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (WW) Super Mario Galaxy Thread of Reunions, Forgiveness and Love

WHAT THE HELL!

This thread was on page 4!!! PAGE 4!

I got scared that its coming in a few weeks was just a wet fanboy dream.

DAMN YOU GAF get HYPED already

- bring on the Famitsu review

I just hope that the game will get the attention it deserves. Both from reviewers and mass media. And that it will sell VERY well.

TheKingsCrown said:
Are you kidding me? I love this game, but I do not expect scores that high. And you know Gerstmann is doing this one (spelling?)

Again, Gamespot has in practice no concrete negative things to use in order to low the note of this game. This game has been until now universally accepted as masterful. All preview in 2 years are incredibly positive. WTF can use Gerstmann to criticise this game ? 9.5-10 is the optimum. 9.0 is already not acceptable.

Speevy said:
What's also excruciating is the wait for reviews.

Will it be a 10 or 9.9? Reviewers will pay dearly for their blasphemy.
Are you kidding me? I love this game, but I do not expect scores that high. And you know Gerstmann is doing this one (spelling?)

Eteric Rice

TheKingsCrown said:

Gerstmann is a douche.

IGN might give it a good rating, though.

Johnas

There's no way this game won't sell like hotcakes, especially in Japan. I also think it's very, very safe to say this will be the next game on the list of 40/40 from Famitsu.

Zelda was a great launch title, to be sure, but Mario is that mass appeal game that the Wii needs, and that Wii users want.

NOA should have had ads out by now what the hell man, what the hell

TheKingsCrown said:

Wait are you talking about THAT GUY that was playing Wii Golf sitting down?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
That 3 minute trailer was all kinds of awesome, but I really feel like I've seen too much of this game. Still, I'm expecting nothing less than the best game ever.

jee

a serious question: will there be minigames? i liked them in nsmb and with wiimote they could be really cool.

John Dunbar said:
That 3 minute trailer was all kinds of awesome, but I really feel like I've seen too much of this game. Still, I'm expecting nothing less than the best game ever.

You and half the population on the board. I don't understand how everyone can watch these trailers. I'm usually a stickler for spoilers though. I'm as excited as everyone else but I haven't even seen screenshots or media since it was first shown a long while ago. Don't you find it ruins the surprise and wonderment of the title? I went into Prime3 without seeing any media for it at all (not even unveiling) and thought the end result was WAY WAY awesome because I was so surprised by every single nook and cranny, every single character. Had I seen even screenshots online I would know what to expect.

jee said:
a serious question: will there be minigames? i liked them in nsmb and with wiimote they could be really cool.

DS fits those mini games but I would hope Mario Galaxy stays focused no mini games except for the one's you find on other secret areas like the Wave Race thing

JasoNsider said:
You and half the population on the board. I don't understand how everyone can watch these trailers. I'm usually a stickler for spoilers though. I'm as excited as everyone else but I haven't even seen screenshots or media since it was first shown a long while ago. Don't you find it ruins the surprise and wonderment of the title? I went into Prime3 without seeing any media for it at all (not even unveiling) and thought the end result was WAY WAY awesome because I was so surprised by every single nook and cranny, every single character. Had I seen even screenshots online I would know what to expect.

The Wonderment for me is PLAYING those areas so spoilers for galaxy does not hurt as much as say spoilers for Zelda

it is a platformer

Enk

makes good threads.
jee said:

The game itself is essentially a well disguised collection of minigames.

Krowley

JasoNsider said:

I can't operate that way. I have to watch videos and stuff to keep my hype going. If I didn't, I probably would lose my excitement and never buy the game. Also, there is no series or developer I trust enough to buy a game without seeing something first... For similar reasons, I never pre-order games. I always wait for reviews and usually wait for GAF and other boards to chime in as well.

I try to trust game company's to keep enough stuff secret and usually they do. Also, even if you've seen part of a level and know the artstyle for an area, you're usually missing the bigger picture and there are plenty of surprises in store.

test_account

XP-39C²
JasoNsider said:

I'm like that with games that i REALLY want to play. The last game i stayed away from trailers and screeshots was God of War 2. Well.. i watched one trailer that i can remember
the one with the first huge statue boss
. God of War 2 was a game that i wanted to go in totally fresh without seeing anything.

Luckily (or unfortunate? depends on how you see it hehe) its not many games that i really really want to play so i have no problem looking on trailers and screeshots. It would be hard to stay away from alot of trailers etc. :)

[Nintex]

JasoNsider said:
Well Nintendo won't spoil that much. I only watch the footage released by Nintendo. I'm not going to watch a walkthrough on IGN or Gamespot. I did this with every game, and before Wind Waker(PAL) launched I didn't even know that Ganondorf was in it. We only saw four or five galaxies, there are 40 in total. I understand that Zelda and HALO trailers etc. can contain spoilers, but Mario? OMG, He's jumping on a block with a "?" on it, isn't that bowser kidnapping peach?? SPOILAR!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just hope that the game will get the attention it deserves. Both from reviewers and mass media. And that it will sell VERY well.
It's a NINTENDO game for the Wii! What do you think is going to happen?! If there's one game you shouldn't worry about it's Mario Galaxy...

The game is going to be a critical darling and sales success.

Yeah, I guess it's down to trust. I know I can trust Retro studios and I know I can trust a main-line Mario release. Essentially the moment a game is "locked in" as a want I just avoid every and all spoilers. Hell, even to the point where I don't know of most features in the game at all. Shadow of the Colossus I had only seen one screenshot and one "concept blurb" from the unveiling, knew I wanted it, and avoided everything up until the day I popped it into the PS2.

The mentality of "I need to watch in order to stay hyped" will ultimately lessen your enjoyment of a game in the end, no? It did for me when I did that, and the same went for movies. If I know all the coolest scenes and lines from a movie before I even see it that lessens the impact on those films that should knock me senseless.

JasoNsider said:
The mentality of "I need to watch in order to stay hyped" will ultimately lessen your enjoyment of a game in the end, no? It did for me when I did that, and the same went for movies. If I know all the coolest scenes and lines from a movie before I even see it that lessens the impact on those films that should knock me senseless.

You are not watching a game you are playing it, I think the gameplay should impact the level of excitement you get from a game. Seeing it on video is just not enough for me

for example: say I saw a very cool mario wall jump like I never seen a wall jump done before... I think I would drool and want to try it for myself not say fuck it now Mario Sunshine is spoiled for me

Yeah, see that's not the case for everybody. Part of the amazing thing of a Mario game is, as someone else mentioned, the kind of experience you get through playing. The game is no longer about a simplistic arrangement of pixels, but rather worlds that we can explore like a big playground. If I see all these beforehand I know what to expect.

One of the things that really stuck out in my mind at the time was that I hadn't seen any footage from Ocarina of Time and avoided media and descriptions for it. So when I played the game I got stuck on one of the first rooms because I had NOT expected to be able to light the stick on fire by wandering near the torch. It just blew my mind. All these little details DO add up because you're exploring for your first time knowing almost nothing about it. The surprise factor when I play the AAA games for me these days is REALLY big

JasoNsider said:
Yeah, see that's not the case for everybody. Part of the amazing thing of a Mario game is, as someone else mentioned, the kind of experience you get through playing. The game is no longer about a simplistic arrangement of pixels, but rather worlds that we can explore like a big playground. If I see all these beforehand I know what to expect.

One of the things that really stuck out in my mind at the time was that I hadn't seen any footage from Ocarina of Time and avoided media and descriptions for it. So when I played the game I got stuck on one of the first rooms because I had NOT expected to be able to light the stick on fire by wandering near the torch. It just blew my mind. All these little details DO add up because you're exploring for your first time knowing almost nothing about it. The surprise factor when I play the AAA games for me these days is REALLY big

I see your point and you are much stronger than most of us, so this means you have seen no media on Galaxy at all? if so you should leave this thread before some new screens are posted

I think you will be amazed with some of the things added to this gem so I wish you luck for the next few weeks :D

I love just reading people's excitement, without actually reading the details, seeing the screens, etc :). It takes TONS of willpower because, naturally, I do this for the best games ;)

You got it though, I can't wait to see this. Everybody's saying there are some really imaginative elements in there so I can't wait! The only thing I've seen on the game was a long time back (first E3 it was shown at) there was a screenshot of the very first "planet" thing Mario was on and there were bells the user was ringing with the remote. Then he shot off into space somewhere else and that's where I knew it was going to be special and media blackout mode went into effect.

It's sort of why I appreciate when threads link to images instead of show them inline too. An image can spoil a LOT for me in like 2 seconds.

Amir0x

Banned
My Gamespot got this baby in early for play. I will write my full impressions after i eat dinner.

The short answer: 7.0

The long answer:
Bioshock has been raped out of GOTY: Fact. How did this happen if it is a fact? I do not know. But it happened. My words, they have been swallowed.

Jammy

Banned
Amir0x said:
My Gamespot got this baby in early for play. I will write my full impressions after i eat dinner.

The long answer:
Bioshock has been raped out of GOTY: Fact. How did this happen if it is a fact? I do not know. But it happened. My words, they have been swallowed.

I'm guessing this is that "demo" (full game only playable for 10 minutes at a time).

Hm... can't wait for impressions. :)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Amir0x said:

The long answer:
You eat dinner early!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Amir0x said:
The long answer:

How could this ever not have happened? I mean I adore Bioshock like the next guy but I know that when Galaxy hits, it'll have that magic that sends it flying far above every game, at least for me. I expect it to repeat that feeling SMB3, World and 64 gave me, and that's no ordinary one

JasoNsider you take a huge risk reading this thread... I hope you have images set on OFF

Amir0x said:

The long answer:

Eat faster and drink some PEPTO

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Bake a cake, it's so delicious and moist

or no: you don't need to have anything, because you already ate your words

Amir0x said:

The long answer:

Holy god mother of fucking damn.

Enk

makes good threads.
Amir0x said:

The long answer:

I was right! Your being has been consumed with the holy light of Mario. Soon all your memories of Bioshock will be gone! MWAHAHAHA!!!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
[Nintex] said:
GOTY CONFIRMED!!!

*opens window*

GOTY CONFIRMED!!!
*throws a brick through the window at Nintex's head*

I'M TRYING TO STUDY HERE

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Amir0x said:

The long answer:

Wow. Sounds like it surpassed even MY modest expectations.

Amir0x

Banned
The meal is fucking cooking, people. Get a job

I mean I have to find words to describe what I played.

Endlessly imaginative. Brilliantly vibrant; Mario played as if on speed and acid; each planetoid designed with the creativity of entire levels of other Mario games. I mean! This is the REAL FUCKING DEAL. The short period I played, alone, is better than Super Mario Sunshine and I LOVED Super Mario Sunshine.

Genius; people said Twilight Princess was the return of "old Nintendo"... I loved Zelda. I thought that was the last fireworks of a dying Nintendo. I was wrong. THIS is undeniably The TRUE return to form for Nintendo; a harbinger of things to come if this is the talent they have in saddle. This is, in essence, the real "Return of the King"... Mario Galaxy is the diamond gem crown which EAD places upon its mighty head.

I have so much to say. But dinner is still cooking! Soon, friends!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Amir0x said:
The meal is fucking cooking, people. Get a job

I mean I have to find words to describe what I played.

Endlessly imaginative. Brilliantly vibrant; Mario played as if on speed and acid; each planetoid designed with the creativity of entire levels of other Mario games. I mean! This is the REAL FUCKING DEAL. The short period I played, alone, is better than Super Mario Sunshine and I LOVED Super Mario Sunshine.

Genius; people said Twilight Princess was the return of "old Nintendo"... I loved Zelda. I thought that was the last fireworks of a dying Nintendo. I was wrong. THIS is undeniably The TRUE return to form for Nintendo; a harbinger of things to come if this is the talent they have in saddle. This is, in essence, the real "Return of the King"... Mario Galaxy is the diamond gem crown which EAD places upon its mighty head.

I have so much to say. But dinner is still cooking! Soon, friends!

OH

MY

GOD

Top Bottom