• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's next-gen GPU special "product showcase" to be webcast live on Sep 25

Nethaniah

AMD already announced crossfire improvements for the new GPU series (Graphics Pre-Emption and GPU Context Switch). Maybe even hybrid crossfire with APU + dGPU will be an option for PC gamers.

So those improvements are on a hardware level? Meaning cards from the 7xxx line will only get software level updates (duh) which won't be as good?

I'll die laughing if Valve goes with a HSA APU after so many PcGaffers said time and again that it's low-end hardware (in order to badmout next-gen consoles).

How would valve going apu change the fact that it is low end hardware ? Truth stays truth.

I'll die laughing if Valve goes with a HSA APU after so many PcGaffers said time and again that it's low-end hardware (in order to badmout next-gen consoles).

It is low-end, that doesn't change regardless of whoever uses it. When a brand new CPU gets beaten up by 3 year old chips you know it's low-end.

mephixto

Banned

Steambox is probably a low cost, low price machine around $100. A HSA APu would be cool for a stream hub, not that I gonna game on it.

Mindlog

Perfect timing on that tweet.
Let's hope not.
I rather see a super powered dedicated gpu on the steambox over a weak apu like on next gen consoles.
Steambox is basically an idea. It's the 'One Console Future' type of open standard with Valve in control. Energy efficient APU based solutions for entry level machines. Monster machines are already covered by existing hardware integrators. Most would probably dual boot and include a Steam OS game mode for a minimal setup fee. The most important thing for AMD to announce is a comprehensive overhaul of their Linux support.
It would be great entry level hardware. Cheap and efficient. That's not what most elitists go for though :]

Elitists will be more concerned with the GPU announcement.

kharma45

Super informative.

nVidia also went on record saying 'fuck anything under 28nm; for costs and fabs involved iirc.

They did. I doubt we'll see any 20nm GPUs until 2015.

Yeah,
A Jaguar CPU is not very fast, I hope they at least go for a piledriver based APU if they are doing something like that.

Best bet would be to wait for Kaveri early next year.

artist

Banned
atgjeo.png

bbsjtm.png

Qassim

Will the steambox be the only hardware I can play PC games on? I'm not sure what your point is lol.

So we are gonna see Frostbite 3 stuff there, Cryengine stuff, and?

UE 4.0 has been noticeably absent from mostly everything lately.

onQ123

I think it will have something to do with the API.

having a low level API just for AMD cards that work better than DirectX & put HSA to use.

Haven't owned an nvidia gpu since the terrible FX days, but I'm sure I'm jumping ship this generation, I started rendering tons of video and wouldn't mind the Cuda advantage in premiere, same thing with shield, nvidia seems to be experimenting with lot with new stuff, actually reminds me of Ati when they starred the multi monitor feature.

Oh well still excited for today.

artist

Banned
So we are gonna see Frostbite 3 stuff there, Cryengine stuff, and?

UE 4.0 has been noticeably absent from mostly everything lately.
Frostbite 3 is given, Cryengine will also be there for the new Ruby demo.

UE4.0 most likely is moneyhatted by Nvidia.

iceatcs

BF4 thing lead me it won't be anything for Valve.

I think at most, we will learn how they going to do with Linux.

kharma45

I wonder if I should upgrade my GTX 660ti...

If it's still doing what you need of it just hold on to it would by my recommendation. No point upgrading just for something new, although in saying that I am toying what swapping my 7850 for whatever the 7950 successor turns out to be.

lyrick

Yeah, now that you mention it, where are all the UE games? Did the engine fall out of favor?

After what happened to both Bioware and Silicon Knights with Mass Effect and Too Human, I'm going to guess intelligent developers are going to wait for Epic to release a game of their own on the engine first to prove that it's done before signing any form of a UE4 licensing agreement.

Top Bottom