• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs PC specs (x64 only, Quad Core minimum, recommended 8-core and 2GB VRAM)

Lingitiz

This is where I finally say don't listen to PC-GAF.

They told us 2GB of VRam will get through next gen fine - BF4 reccomends 3GB

They told us AMD Octocore CPU's were shit and that more than 4 cores wont be needed for next gen - Watch Dogs reccomends 8 core CPUs.

And this is only the start of next-gen and these are just console ports.

The writing was on the wall though as soon as the PS4 specs were released.

I don't think anyone was really saying 2 would get you through the whole gen, maybe 2-3 years sounds right. I wouldn't really take the 8 core recommendation that seriously since intel CPU's still outperform them.

MaLDo

I doubt even the most hardcore of builds will max the game at 60 FPS 100% of the time

I take that

challenge_accepted_by_ragefaceicons-d58u7d1.jpg

UnrealEck

They told us AMD Octocore CPU's were shit and that more than 4 cores wont be needed for next gen - Watch Dogs reccomends 8 core CPUs.

2GB of VRAM and a 4-core CPU will do just fine for console settings. ie. low.

Ty4on

Challenge accepted. I'll make a dual core i3 with a 2GB graphics card run Watch Dogs better than a PS4 even if it's the last thing I do :p

The PS4/One neither really have 8GB memory. In both cases it is more like 6 for the games ATM.

Sulik2

The gauntlet has been tossed AMD and Nvidia. You have been limping along on the same generation of cards for way too long now, lets see your next-gen architectures.

Really, really nice to see a game finally requiring 64bit.

kharma45

They recommend 3GB of VRAM yet recommend a 7870. Go figure.

We recommend something like an i5 as it is generally a better CPU than anything AMD can offer in most situations. Also as for watch dogs wanting 8 cores, it's more like 8 threads.

diffusionx

Gold Member

There is no such thing as "future proofing" or "getting through fine." I could have told you that. The rate of improvements is going up, not down. A 8800GT might have been fine for most of this gen but I am very confident that a 780 will not hold up in the same way - especially if stuff like "Steam Machines" take hold and more and more developers target the platform instead of just prettying up console ports.

PC gaming is more expensive than console, it's just the way it is. It's better to just spend the money now and save a bit for upgrades later than stretch in a futile attempt to "future proof."

Welp, I have:

i7 2600K
GTX560ti x2 (sli baby) but 1gb each
and 16gb of ram.

So minimum it is for me unless I decide to do another build early next year. ;)

avaya

I'm going fully 4K all generation, so will definitely need to keep up with the Jones' with Maxwell and Haswell-E. Fully expect another turd from Intel though.

KKRT00

RulkezX

People are losing their minds over nothing.

Sure not running ultra might suck , but I'd take a bet with anyone that my i5@4.4 and 3gb 7970 will play ANY console port with better IQ , fps and resolution for the next cpl of years , easily.

Nice official info.

But according to Your 'official site', its 1.6ghz
http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-orbis-unveiled-2/

Just like the Xbox ONE was supposed to be 1.6Ghz according to them. That's the point. We have no official info on the PS4 clock speed and OS reservation.

Also tell why Microsoft would get 1.6ghz version of Jaguar in better cooled box and Sony took 2ghz?

Cooling is not the issue. Jaguar already runs at 2Ghz in the A6-5200 notebook APU. The issue is power consumption.

No surprise, high end PC gamers should get ready to rejoice that their hardware is finally going to really be taken advantage of.

Just like the Xbox ONE was supposed to be 1.6Ghz according to them. That's the point. We have no official info on the PS4 clock speed and OS reservation.

Except it was 1.6GHz until a relatively last minute bump in the clock speed.

pixlexic

Banned
2gigs VRAM will be enough to easily run games with me then console textures for next gen. The thing here is you can go beyond that with the PC version.

And people freaking out. don't go run off to newegg right now. You pc should run this fine, and do remember... this is still a ubisoft game no matter how much money you throw at it (you play one you played them all climb this tower! unlock the map!). At least crysis 1 was a hella of a game.

Also remember that no matter how much money you throw at your rig, Chicago will still look like chicago ;P

Enlil

If it needs that much power to run on ultra then I am quite dissapointed in what I have seen. TLOU or GTAV look very good on current gen.

These ultra settings better have high quality textures and physics otherwise it's just bad coding.

What has Crysis got to do with Ubisoft?

Just comparing the last real 'workout for your gaming rig'.

watch_dogs looks like 'ubisoft open world game' #... what is it now? I mean, it could turn out great, but its all starting to feel like they are all variations of the same 'ubisoft game' cake with different icing.

Crysis at least at its time was original neat stuff and only on pc too.

so yeah, i don't think watch_dogs is worth going to the bank to withdraw stuff just yet. maybe wait for witcher 3 ;)

Herne

Just comparing the last real 'workout for your gaming rig'.

watch_dogs looks like 'ubisoft open world game' #... what is it now? I mean, it could turn out great, but its all starting to feel like they are all variations of the same 'ubisoft game' cake with different icing.

Crysis at least at its time was original neat stuff and only on pc too.

so yeah, i don't think watch_dogs is worth going to the bank to withdraw stuff just yet. maybe wait for witcher 3 ;)

I see what you mean. Crysis didn't only push pc's for years after release, it was a great open-ended world that really showed what the pc could do - it's a shame that Crytek were bitching about sales and thus brought the sequels to the consoles because the games became much less open and more like moving down invisible corridors... indicative of the 360 and PS3's lack of ram. The new consoles certainly come with plenty of it, but I wonder how long it'll be until they're constraining the pc again... I mean, not even close to all of that 8gb is freed up for games and ram is cheap enough as it is.

But yeah, Witcher 3 is looking like it might fill that gap!

geebee

Banned
And people freaking out. don't go run off to newegg right now. You pc should run this fine, and do remember... this is still a ubisoft game no matter how much money you throw at it (you play one you played them all climb this tower! unlock the map!). At least crysis 1 was a hella of a game.

Also remember that no matter how much money you throw at your rig, Chicago will still look like chicago ;P
So much truth, I love it!

LCGeek

formerly sane

Who cause anyone sane wouldn't be thinking that one bit.

Also BF4 benchmarks and other show intels cpus still beating out those amds.

Stop talking if you're going to be spewing the FUD for the sake of console trolling.

8 CPU threads and 3-4GB VRAM seems like the new standard for Ultra settings.

Can probably get away with 2GB VRAM on Ultra if you turn off AA.

Eusis

People should really stop recommending those crappy 500$ rigs to other gaffers, making them think they are going to last a while..
If you do it mid-gen it's possible.

At this point unless you're just looking to tackle everything that came before along with future lower end indie stuff it simply won't cut it.
Reassuring, though baffling.

VillageBC

So basically, it's finally time for me to retire my Q6600?

Nah, OC to 3.2ghz if you can and if you're still running a single GPU my bet is you are GPU bound primarily still. =) Anand has an interesting article update on CPU's for gaming.

http://anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013

I came to the conclusion that my neither my i7-930 or q9450 while ancient are really a problem coupled to a 7870 @ 1080p. Even a single 7970 looks more GPU bound most of the time then CPU bound. Hell, the often denegrated AMD's look just damn fine.

It's almost looking like I can hold out until Skylake with just GPU upgrades. But then, I don't feel the need to run Ultra settings, 1080p@60fps. I'm willing to cut down the graphics quality if necessary provided it still looks decent.

banjoted

Enhance your calm folks - a bit of common sense will tell you all should be fine.

Even an "entry-level" gaming PC should easily surpass what PS4/Xbox One have to offer for their entire lifespan. Kit yourselves out with an i5-3570 and 7950 or some such and you'll be fine for beating next-gen no issues and keeping up with Ultra specs for a year or two.

RedSwirl

Not really. Minimum talks about Q6600 at stock speed, 2'4Ghz. Nothing prevents you from OC it up to 3'2~3'4Ghz.

Upgrade it only if you are going to buy anthing over GTX670.

It's a stock Dell build. Can't OC it. Plus, I've been stuck with 3GB of RAM and 32bit Vista for the past six years. Going forward I'd at the very least have to buy some RAM and re-install Windows.

As for upgrading, I was thinking of going with an i5-3570k and a GTX 760. Might go up to Haswell though. Don't know how a mid-range GTX 700 series card stacks up against a high-range 600 series.

Ragus

Banned
So, with:

GTX 770 4GB DDR5
8 gigs of ram
and i5-3570 3,4GHz

should I expect something in line with PS4?

VillageBC

It's a stock Dell build. Can't OC it. Plus, I've been stuck with 3GB of RAM and 32bit Vista for the past six years. Going forward I'd at the very least have to buy some RAM and re-install Windows.

As for upgrading, I was thinking of going with an i5-3570k and a GTX 760. Might go up to Haswell though. Don't know how a mid-range GTX 700 series card stacks up against a high-range 600 series.

Well that changes everything... Go ahead and build yourself a gaming PC good sir. =)

Top Bottom