• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Grecco said:
My guess?

300_icon6_copy.jpg

Third times the charm. Show him off Sakurai

A new challenger approaches: Wobblekid

Somnid

Jiggy37 said:
We should compile lists of characters who would be anathema to certain posters. For example, Jigglypuff to SuperAndroid17, and Slime to SuperAngelo64, and Krystal to half the people in this thread. And Waluigi to whoever that was, maybe jj984jj, who hates him.

Grecco said:

Do Not Want.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Speevy said:
A new challenger approaches: Wobblekid

It'd be awesome if Wabbuhfet was a playable character.

If Waluigi is in the game, he will be my main.

How could you possibly hate Waluigi?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Crocodile said:
Why are you so adamant on Megaman's exclusion? Sure you could be totally right (I hope not) but you are unusually set on this. Why? Hate the Blue Bomber?
I used convinced that Megaman wouldnt be a playable character in brawl, but ever since sonic got announced, I've been thinking that megman might make it into the game.

If they announce Leon S. Kennedy with RE2 and RE4 constumes, I think I'm going to absolutely shit a hole through my pants, through my computer chair, and onto the floor.

Somebody marks my words so if it happens, I can show the pictures.

Holy Order Sol said:
Waluigi would be worth it for Snake's codec conversation alone.

"Snake! That's Waluigi! He's kind've like Luigi.. and kind've like Wario.. who's supposed to be kind've like Mario.."

"Fuck this game"

Crocodile

psycho_snake said:
I used convinced that Megaman wouldnt be a playable character in brawl, but ever since sonic got announced, I've been thinking that megman might make it into the game.

What does Sonic have to do with Megaman? I'm not following your logic.

psycho_snake

sp0rsk said:
It'd be awesome if Wabbuhfet was a playable character.

If Waluigi is in the game, he will be my main.

How could you possibly hate Waluigi?
What is there to like about him?

It feels like waluigi was created just so that they could add another character to the mario party and mario sport games, just like daisy.

Jiggy

The list of Anathema Characters so far:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin characters - Jiggy37
Amaterasu - Zeed
Animal Crossing main character - Amir0x probably, Somnid
Baby Mario & Luigi - Fireblend, Iam Canadian, Jiggy37, Meloche, TreIII
Bowser Jr. - crowphoenix, Firestorm, Gekkonidae, Iam Canadian, Jiggy37, Meloche
Cloud - CreatureX3, Fireblend, Firestorm, Iam Canadian, Jiggy37, Meloche, Rotanibor Eht
Daisy - Fireblend, Firestorm, m00, Meloche
Geno - Big Icarus, crowphoenix, Jiggy37, KevinCow, Meloche, Rotanibor Eht, TreIII
Hebereke - AdventureRacing
Ice Climbers* - AniHawk, Crushed
Jigglypuff - Crushed, SuperAndroid17
King Dedede* - Darkpen
Krystal - Nearly everybody to ever post in the thread
Lucas* - Crushed
Lloyd - Zeed
thatonecharacterbannedfromdiscussionweeksafterthispost - MrNibbles
thatsamebannedcharacter.EXE - SuperAngelo64
Miis - Fireblend, Firestorm, SuperAndroid17
Ness* - Crushed
Olimar* - ShockingAlberto
Pac-Man - Jiggy37, Keru_Shiri, Meloche, SuperAndroid17
Rayman - Fireblend, Nash
"sister"ofthebannedcharacter - MrNibbles
Slime - SuperAngelo64
Waluigi - Dice, Firestorm, jj984jj, psycho_snake, SuperAngelo64
Wind Waker Link - SuperAngelo64
Wolf Link - A Link to the Snitch
friendoftheSNESincarnationofthatbannedcharacter - MrNibbles

* = They're already in, these posters are sorry to say. :(
Highlight = You are our winners! This character was revealed as an assist trophy only.

I'll edit this post in the future rather than posting it continually. Edit: In fact I just edited myself in for Bowser Jr. within twenty seconds. >_>

A Link to the Snitch said:
Isn't Daisy a costume for Peach in Brawl?
Yeah, but Mario has Wario colors too.

psycho_snake

Crocodile said:
I wasnt expecting any third party characters apart from snake to make it into the game, so now that they've announced sonic, I'm beginning to think there might be a couple of other third party characters that will be playable in brawl.

Crocodile said:

More confidence that third party characters will be in. I guess maybe he thought "It can't just be Sonic AND Snake?"

*shrugs*

I just realized if Slime got in, all three third party characters would start with an S and have five letters.

Crocodile

Sorry, my bad, I totally misread what you said and thought you meant that you thought Megaman's chances decreased with the reveal of Sonic, not increased.

Jiggy37 said:

Bowser Jr. - Jiggy37
Daisy - m00
Ice Climbers* - AniHawk
Jigglypuff - SuperAndroid17
King Dedede* - Darkpen
Lucas* - Crushed
Ness - Crushed
Slime - SuperAngelo64
Waluigi - jj984jj, psycho_snake

Megaman - sp0rsk

Put me down for Waluigi too, and WW Link (but I haven't argued about that in months).

Somnid

Grecco said:
Then i hate Lucas. I shall meet Amir0xs hate of Animal Crossing head on with equal hatred!

Doesn't work like that. I don't hate AC, I hate the character. It's not a character it's a damn customizable avatar and I swear to God I better not see it fighting. Likewise, I think Earthbound is a POS but I don't mind either character.

Jiggy37 said:

Bowser Jr. - Jiggy37
Daisy - m00
Ice Climbers* - AniHawk
Jigglypuff - SuperAndroid17
King Dedede* - Darkpen
Lucas* - Crushed
Ness - Crushed
Slime - SuperAngelo64
Waluigi - jj984jj, psycho_snake

I'll edit this post in the future rather than posting it continually. Edit: In fact I just edited myself in within twenty seconds. >_>

Yeah, but Mario has Wario colors too.

I hate Wolf Link.

Also, true, but her Daisy costume looks almost exactly like Daisy, except without her different figure and face, while the Wario color costume is just Mario with a yellow and purple suit (which reminds me, PLEASE INCLUDE A CLASSIC WARIO COSTUME FOR WARIO DAMNIT)

Jiggy

Doesn't Mega Man still carry some decent respect in Japan anyway? As opposed to someone like Sonic, whose importance outside of the West was argued many dozens of pages ago...

Edit:
PLEASE INCLUDE A CLASSIC WARIO COSTUME FOR WARIO DAMNIT)
This is very true; if he doesn't have it I will be sad. :( And I don't expect to play him much since heavy characters usually don't appeal to me, but still. It's too important to overlook.

Grecco

Somnid said:
Doesn't work like that. I don't hate AC, I hate the character. It's not a character it's a damn customizable avatar and I swear to God I better not see it fighting. Likewise, I think Earthbound is a POS but I don't mind either character.

I dont disagree with you on the choice. Personally i wanted this well dressed chap instead

tom.jpg

But hes in the Smashville drinking Coffee so yeah hes not in as the character. Neither is Resetti. The Animal Crossing Guy/Girl makes sense Slingshot/Shovel/Fishingpole attacks ftw.

Grecco said:
I dont disagree with you on the choice. Personally i wanted this well dressed chap instead

tom.jpg

But hes in the Smashville drinking Coffee so yeah hes not in as the character. Neither is Resetti. The Animal Crossing Guy/Girl makes sense Slingshot/Shovel/Fishingpole attacks ftw.

Moveset:

Grab = Fishing Pole

B = Net
Smash B = Umbrella
Up B = Slingshot
Down B = Shovel

ShockingAlberto said:
I think the only character that I absolutely do not want in is Olimar.

I love Pikmin, but for some reason I don't want Olimar in. Can't explain it.

I can see not wanting to play as him...

...But why not wanting him in at all?

He's from a great series needing representation, and he'd have an easy-to-create moveset.

psycho_snake

EktorPR said:
TRU DAT' HE GAVE HIS SPOT TO VIEWTIFUL JOE

i want to believe
That wouldnt be too bad actually.

If capcom do have one of their characters in brawl, I want it to be dante. He would be amazing, but I doubt thats going to happen unfortunately.

psycho_snake said:

If capcom do have one of their characters in brawl, I want it to be dante. He would be amazing, but I doubt thats going to happen unfortunately.

Well, the lack of any Nintendo system roles set aside, he seems too "dark" to be in Brawl.

psycho_snake said:

Sadly, Dante has never appeared on a Nintendo system before.
I think Ryu would be a great addition to Brawl though.

I claim Pac-Man as my anathema character, for no reason other than being sick of seeing his mug plastered on every damn redemption ticket at the arcade I work.

m00

Zelda not playable at E for All = "Sheik's in!!!"

Zelda not playable at E 4 All and Pokémon Trainer in Brawl => Sakurai will wax philosophical about light and darkness being two sides of the same coin.

The argument goes something like this.

First, Zelda is not playable--and her b-down has not yet been shown on the Dojo--because Sakurai does not want to reveal her alt form yet. This much is obvious.
With Pokémon Trainer, Sakurai unveiled a "stamina" gameplay mechanic, the obvious purpose of which is to "encourage" players to rotate among different fighters. It would seem to be likely that Zelda will have a stamina stat as well.
However, forcing Sheik players to play as Zelda would cause unnecessary grief, so Sheik will obviously earn her own spot on the roster. This leaves Zelda without an alt form.

Enter Midna.

As a small, speedy fighter, she would perfectly complement the slow-but-powerful Zelda. Midna can "hide in Zelda's shadow" while Zelda is playing, and teleport Zelda away and back with b-down. The stamina stat can be rationalized as Zelda and Midna needing to recharge their magical energy. So Zelda being paired with Midna in Brawl as a tag-team option introduces no difficulties; in fact, when Miyamoto hears about it (if he hasn't already), he'll call it an "idea", because it solves many problems at once. It's bound to happen.
Then, following the example of Pokémon Trainer, Zelda and Midna will most likely share a final smash. The obvious final smash would be for them to combine the powers of light and shadow; and, when their final smash is revealed, Sakurai will necessarily make a profound statement about how light and darkness are two sides of the same coin. QED.

Zeed

Banned
psycho_snake said:
well no one expected snake to be in brawl.
Some people say Wind Waker Link is too kiddy to be in Brawl, and now Dante is too matoor. We've been all over the spectrum with this.

Snake is not as dark or violent as Dante.

I never said he can't be dark, but Snake being in wouldn't be a good argument to have Scorpion in.
That's a red herring, Scorpion being added or not has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

The discussion is about whether or not a character being too "dark" is a plausible reason to exclude him. Exclude, not add.

Jiggy

Keru_Shiri said:
I claim Pac-Man as my anathema character
Seriously, the one time I played a game where he had arms and legs it just felt wrong. :/ Anyway, adding.

Edit: And I know he always had arms and legs in the art, but he never used them in the classic title, much less relied on them.

m00

I hate Wolf Link.

Also, true, but her Daisy costume looks almost exactly like Daisy, except without her different figure and face, while the Wario color costume is just Mario with a yellow and purple suit (which reminds me, PLEASE INCLUDE A CLASSIC WARIO COSTUME FOR WARIO DAMNIT)
OBEY WARIO. DESTROY MARIO.

Zeed said:
Some people say Wind Waker Link is too kiddy to be in Brawl, and now Dante is too matoor. We've been all over the spectrum with this.

That's a red herring, Scorpion being added or not has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

The discussion is about whether or not a character being too "dark" is a plausible reason to exclude him. Exclude, not add.

There's no such thing as too kiddy, but too "matoor" is a different story. There are several factors you need to think about - I mean, I don't have much memory of DMC, but isn't it way, way more of an M rated game than any of the MGS games?

Also, I used Scorpion because I know the character better.

But putting aside no Nintendo history and the darkness factor, he'd still have to prove to be more worthy than:

Mega Man
Ken/Ryu
Viewtiful Joe (in coolness factor)

I mean, the latter two are pretty well-oriented in the SSB style of fighting, and the first one is definitely one of the more well-recognized characters in gaming, even today.

Zeed

Banned
There's no such thing as too kiddy, but too "matoor" is a different story. There are several factors you need to think about - I mean, I don't have much memory of DMC, but isn't it way, way more of an M rated game than any of the MGS games?
They're both rated M, so I'm not sure what scale you're going to judge by to declare one "more M" than the other. Dante has more blood I suppose, but that has no bearing on how he has to be portrayed in SSBB. You'll note that Snake isn't going to be using any guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom