• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II Network Test | YOU DEFEATED

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Im really weirded out why they hold a beta on the PS3 instead of the PC.

Demon's was Ps3 exclusive, Dark1 had the most sales on Ps3. It makes sense to make the beta on the system where the game has more sales.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Only issue I had was the darkness. Bring back the character glow and ditch the torch system. I really hope the whole game isn't balanced around the torch.

Performance. Framerate was rough. I was hoping no dead ragdolls would lessen the performance hit, but it seemed worse than the previous two games.

RK9039

Demon's was Ps3 exclusive, Dark1 had the most sales on Ps3. It makes sense to make the beta on the system where the game has more sales.

True, but PC is the lead platform for Dark Souls 2.

I'm assuming they might hold a beta for PC/360 at some point. Perhaps they are more comfortable doing this test on the PS3 because Demon's Souls also had dedicated servers.

Vazra

True, but PC is the lead platform for Dark Souls 2.

I'm assuming they might hold a beta for PC/360 at some point. Perhaps they are more comfortable doing this test on the PS3 because Demon's Souls also had dedicated servers.

They know the Ps3 architecture more than the others probably. Afterall Dark Souls on 360 you could tell the difference between 360 and Ps3 being the Ps3 version more stable on framerate and do not forget the sloppy PC port fixed by Durante.

Serra

Im gonna call bullshit on DaS having the most sales on the PS3.

Having the beta on the PC would have several benefits:
- not having to go through PSN/Sony
- PC is the lead platform this time I think?
- DaS was a notoriously bad port, having a PC beta would have the double benefit of getting hardware AND network feedback.

[tinfoil] Except if they know that the PC version will be a piece of shit port again and modders have to fix it before its playable and they don't want the backlash before the game is released.[/tinfoil]

Vazra

- DaS was a notoriously bad port, having a PC beta would have the double benefit of getting hardware AND network feedback.

Except if they know that the PC version will be a piece of shit port again and modders have to fix it before its playable and they don't want the backlash before the game is released.

Sales Talk Here

I know the benefits of having the beta on PC but what might be logic to us might not be the most logical thing to From Software or Namco.

Serra

Sales Talk Here

I know the benefits of having the beta on PC but what might be logic to us might not be the most logical thing to From Software or Namco.

True, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

Also, there is no way to tell that PS3 had the most sales from that link, since they do not breakdown game sales by platform outside of japan. All that tells us is that IN JAPAN the PS3 version sold the best.

Also, there is no way to tell that PS3 had the most sales from that link, since they do not breakdown game sales by platform outside of japan. All that tells us is that IN JAPAN the PS3 version sold the best.

1.3 million worldwide

[tinfoil] Except if they know that the PC version will be a piece of shit port again and modders have to fix it before its playable and they don't want the backlash before the game is released.[/tinfoil]

DaS sold the most on PS3 because it sold 400k on PS3 in Japan and since Demons souls was an exclusive a lot of the user base is on playstation.

This is a WW beta and since PS3 is more popular they chose that.

Dark Souls sold 375,000 copies for PS3 in Japan, and 1.3 million internationally on PS3 and Xbox 360.

The game's Artorias of the Abyss Edition, a re-release with extra DLC content, sold another 137,000 for PS3 and PC in Japan, with a further 555,000 copies shifted for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 worldwide.

quoted from http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-12-dark-souls-worldwide-sales-total-2-3-million

Dude, this is where at least 50% of the player base is. And in Japan it's basically 100%. Even if you believe the 360 sold more copies of the game, how does that reconcile with all the reports of more online activity on the ps3 version?

It's a stress test, not an actual demo. They need to see how the servers respond to a large amount of people. If they have to choose one platform for that test, ps3 is the only one that makes sense. It most likely sold the most worldwide. In Japan nobody even has it on 360. And on PC there just aren't enough players.

Parmenide

According to the chart in the link we can say that probably the PS3 version sales in Japan are superior to the PC ones worldwide.
I give you that we don't know for sure which console version sold more.

Vazra

Even on US the Ps3 version sold more IIRC at least on the first week and that pattern usually indicates enough. I think it was 130k vs 65k. I need to check sources tho cause it has been years.

Vazra

Are you seriously implying that over 50% of the Dark Souls playerbase is on the PS3?
In Japan the 360 version of the game didnt existed and while the sequel will happen there it still will sell less. It sold better on PS3 on US and Europe as it has been connected to Demon's Soul a Ps3 exclusive game and PC has grown but it seems it still isn't the biggest market yet.
stop-posting-cat-paw.jpg

Gorillaz

^I think D souls did sell mist on PS3. The series started out on it so that makes sense.

Alright so I was too drunk and tired to make a statement about the beta last night so ill type out my quick thoughts on my phone. Most things has been said but overall it felt weird. The phrase "the more things change the more they stay the same" hit me the most playing it. Combat felt sluggish animation and attack patterns changed but it still has that D souls feel which is surprising but in a good way. Summoning and invasion was fast but mainly due to everyone in the same area so idk if we could say it got better. Ill take the works of gaffers that it did tho. I hope the dark areas are just here and not game wide as well.

There isn't enough here to base the entire game and I feel a lot are at this point but from what I've seen I'm excited and can't wait for the full product and beta round 2.

Had fun with the beta. Defeated the
skeleton lord boss thing. Couldn't find my way to the Chariot boss fight, however, or that spot where you see 3 black phantom enemies up on pillars jumping down.

I had quite a lot of lag with the multiplayer, however, and the framerate felt the same or even worse than Dark Souls. Two things I found that made it harder than Dark Souls was the fact that healing is so slow now and enemies rotate faster, making it a lot harder to simply walk around them and backstab them.

Managed to get backstabs and parrying figured out quite well. One thing that I hate (In a good way), is the animation that plays when you whiff a backstab. It leaves you totally open for punishment.

The true defining moment for me though was when
I was being hunted down by that huge dual wielding shotel things. He had me retreating to that first bonfire you find right next to the tree thing you can push down to turn into a bridge. Well I was fighting on the edge outside the bonfire room, and thought I had rolled to my death trying to evade one of his attacked. However, much to my surprise, I landed right on the very ledge of a cliff down below, right at the mouth of a cave. Luckily, I have my torch and procede to go inside. Once inside I find myself at what seems to be a dead end, with nothing but a deep drop into the abyss on either side of me. I inspect the area more, checking for fake walls within the cave but no avail. Only then, as a last resort, do I decide to hop down onto one of the mushrooms growing out of the cave wall. Once I do I can see the faint glimmer of a bloodstain down below. That means there's a floor down there! I go down to the floor below, defeat all the enemies, and find myself before a giant chest. I pause, a mimic, perhaps? I decide to strike the chest. Bam, instantly poisoned. I manage to outheal the duration of the potion, continue to explore, and find myself by in the building where you can strike the boards on the windows to let light in.

That sense of wonder and exploration is what makes Dark Souls what it is to me, and the fact that Dark Souls 2 still retains that puts all my worries at ease. The game felt rough controls wise, but it's just the beta, so I have faith.

Had fun with the beta. Defeated the
skeleton lord boss thing. Couldn't find my way to the Chariot boss fight, however, or that spot where you see 3 black phantom enemies up on pillars jumping down.

after the first bridge in the forest area go
to the right and up, you'll kind of double back (but on a different path) and come across a smaller bridge to a little area of trees and some enemies. if you follow this path you eventually reach where those BPs are and then the chariot boss.

How did you come to this conclusion?

The reveal trailer clearly shows Velka or what we are lead to believe is Velka.
Shows the Painted World of Ariamis is back.
which trailer and where?

Robot Pants

Yup! It's another continent with little references to the first game, set thousands of years after the events of DaS1, i saw that the mage had a mix of equipment between mage and pyromancer (it had the pyromancer's hood), maybe both magic and pyromancies will be launched trough a catalyst.
How did you come to this conclusion?

The reveal trailer clearly shows Velka or what we are lead to believe is Velka.
Shows the Painted World of Ariamis is back.
Dragons are alive and abundant.
But there are bonfires which means it probably takes place after the kindling of the first flame.
But then, like I said, there is no humanity anymore (yet?)
So that's why I'm curious.

Dresden

Pretty sure it's the same land, but time has seen changes where Lordran is no longer the term used for the place. Seeing how a place can shift from era to era was interesting as fuck in Oolacile, so I'm hoping that DKS2 can replicate that on a larger scale. Hope there's a 'wow' moment when we find Anor Londo's ruins or something.

Pretty sure it's the same land, but time has seen changes where Lordran is no longer the term used for the place. Seeing how a place can shift from era to era was interesting as fuck in Oolacile, so I'm hoping that DKS2 can replicate that on a larger scale. Hope there's a 'wow' moment when we find Anor Londo's ruins or something.

I'm kinda lost when it comes to Oolacile. I need some reference points in regards to what was where in darkroot Basin and how it was changed from Oolacile.

@_@ That would be so amazing. Can you imagine landing somewhere and getting that same *gasp* vista when you first arrive in AL, and THEN realise it IS AL, just in a different time, and it's in ruins or still to be built. :O

OMG...OMG...OMG, I really hope there is more stuff like this. I guess seeing the bridge in the early shots and trailer was like that when we realised it was the Painted World (or the real Painted World!)

Dresden

@_@ That would be so amazing. Can you imagine landing somewhere and getting that same *gasp* vista when you first arrive in AL, and THEN realise it IS AL, just in a different time, and it's in ruins or still to be built. :O

OMG...OMG...OMG, I really hope there is more stuff like this. I guess seeing the bridge in the early shots and trailer was like that when we realised it was the Painted World (or the real Painted World!)

You know what would be cool? Revisiting Sen's fortress, and finding that the golem who loads boulders into the chutes is still there. Working after all that time, even when the boulders just slip through cracks or fall off into the abyss due to disrepair.

You know what would be cool? Revisiting Sen's fortress, and finding that the golem who loads boulders into the chutes is still there. Working after all that time, even when the boulders just slip through cracks or fall off into the abyss due to disrepair.
The poor guy! And if the Iron Golem wasn't there, and the doorway he guards isn't blocked up, so you take this dark passage up to where AL was. Oh God. I'm out, so much fan fiction type stuff in mind now!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
How's the difficulty?

Hard to judge from the beta, really, where Life Gems are near-constant drops, which I doubt will be the case in the final game. I suspect they're so common in the beta to keep people playing and stressing the servers. On the whole I thought it was pretty easy, but that gestalt view isn't all that informative, really, so here's a breakdown of what's in the beta:

Hollows - Basically the same junk enemies as in Dark Souls. They're un- or lightly-armored enemies with crap weapons that are slow and deal little damage.

Thief guys - These are the most common enemy types in the beta areas. The most common type wields a pair of daggers. They attack fairly quickly but don't deal all that much damage. Easily blocked and the final attack of their combo string leaves them open for backstabs. There's a beefier type that uses a big club, which is a fair bit more dangerous and can actually stagger pretty well if you take their full combo on your shield. Still easy to backstab if you wait for their recovery animation, though. A third type has a bow, and snipes at you in the way you're accustomed from Dark Souls. They put the bow away and take out a pair of daggers when you get close.

Fat guys - Big guys about the size of the fat guys from Blighttown in Dark Souls. They use a shotel-like weapon in each hand, but their attacks don't partially ignore shields. Look scary, but they have a fairly short reach, long recovery times, and highly telegraphed attacks. Easy to handle as long as you don't freak out at how scary they look. There are a pair of black phantom versions on a narrow ledge that are mighty nasty though, since you're restricted in where you can dodge and you can't get behind them.

Tall guys - Unarmored tall, muscular dudes. Two kinds, one with a halberd and one with a whip. Halberd guys have good reach, attack fairly quick, and deal good damage. They're easily staggered, though, so you can more or less chain stagger them to death once you get a good hit in. Whip guys are more or less the same, except basically without all the dangerous parts because whips suck.

Skeletons - Really similar to the Dark Souls version. Most have a curved sword and a shield, some of them have twin swords. Not a lot to say about them, really, they're the most similar to what you're probably familiar with from the first game.

Necromancers - Hunched-over Pinwheel-lookin' dudes. They raise skeletons until killed and have several magical attacks. Don't have a lot of HP, and I pretty much went apeshit on them whenever I spotted them so I didn't really observe what attacks they used.

There's two bosses as well:

Executioner Chariot - You fight this guy in a circular corridor. He drives his chariot around it in circles, and pretty much kills you instantly if he runs you over. You spend the first phase of the fight running through the corridor and hiding in small alcoves along the well as he passes by. When you get far enough you throw a lever to lower a gate which he crashes into and the rest of the fight consists of fighting the undead horsey that was pulling the chariot. This phase is basically the same as fighting an armored boar in Dark Souls; the horse charges you and rears up and tries to stomp you with its front hooves. It also has a fire-breathing attack of sorts if you back off. Fairly straightforward as long as you're patient and hole up in the alcoves religiously for the first phase and wait for it to be recovering from its attack animations for the second phase. Mighty fearsome the first time you meet him, though.

Skeleton Lords - Basically an undead-on-undead battle royale. Three big skeletons start the fight out, and as they die swarms of smaller skeletons spawn, including wheel skeletons. Fight ends when you kill everything. There are a couple of big pillars that are really useful for kiting enemies. I thought this fight was pretty easy with a Sorcerer, because there are a couple solid AOE spells that excel once the little guys start swarming. I can imagine classes more one-on-one oriented having more trouble, though. I think this is the hardest fight in the beta, personally.

Dark Souls is alone in this type of story telling and i absolutely love it. You need to dissect it all on your own and you have this depth that the vast majority of people who play it will never even acknowledge. Things like
The Lord Blade's corpse and Hornet Ring being behind Artorias' grave in the original game
makes me wonder how far ahead these guys looked adding all these tidbits for dlc that may not have ever come.

Also unrelated but I always had a vision of Guillermo Del Toro directing a Dark Souls movie that is basically Cast Away(Tom hanks) with Pan's Labyrinth's visual style.One character hardly any dialogue incredible monster designs and just fear gripping you the entire time.

Dark Souls is alone in this type of story telling and i absolutely love it. You need to dissect it all on your own and you have this depth that the vast majority of people who play it will never even acknowledge. Things like
The Lord Blade's corpse and Hornet Ring being behind Artorias' grave in the original game
makes me wonder how far ahead these guys looked adding all these tidbits for dlc that may not have ever come.

Also unrelated but I always had a vision of Guillermo Del Toro directing a Dark Souls movie that is basically Cast Away(Tom hanks) with Pan's Labyrinth's visual style.One character hardly any dialogue incredible monster designs and just fear gripping you the entire time.

games like fallout 3, nier, and even world of warcraft have a lot of "inferred" lore in them. the souls series (really From's RPGs in general) definitely push this kind of passive-narrative approach to extremes though.

i'm hoping for some kind of "king's souls" game that links everything from king's field I and onward. dark souls feels very much like a thematic anthology of their RPGs up until that point and even has a few locales that are visually reminiscent of specific locations from older games.

Servbot24

Banned
Only issue I had was the darkness. Bring back the character glow and ditch the torch system. I really hope the whole game isn't balanced around the torch.

Performance. Framerate was rough. I was hoping no dead ragdolls would lessen the performance hit, but it seemed worse than the previous two games.

Yeah... I am all for extra difficulty but I don't know if I can handle a whole game like Tomb of the Giants.

Robot Pants

The land of DaS 2 is
Drangleic
according to NPC dialogue and item descriptions, also based on some descriptions, DaS 2 takes place AFTER DaS 1.
Ok maybe initially yes. But you obviously are visiting Lordran at some point. They also said locales would be returning from DS1.
And if it takes place after DS1 how is Kalameet alive?
So many questions!!!

I think it's sadistic that the new director has a degree in psychology. The twisted things he is gonna dream up to mess with people's minds has me excited.

Top Bottom