• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II Network Test | YOU DEFEATED

Soriku

So I should have been putting my points into resistance instead of listening to you people and putting it into agility.

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if agility isn't THAT useful/worth pumping many points into.

The resistance video is awesome, but the uploader says attacks from big enemies still do a ton of damage, and we don't know how early the Huntsman and Undead Purgatory areas are to judge if resistance will be very useful against anything but mooks.

RK9039

I don't have a problem with how Life Gems work right now, the animation is fairly long and unlike Grass from Demon's Souls it's heal over time for only a portion of your health.

You can still die if you're not careful. Enemies tend to use range attacks if you get too far away, so there's a chance you might even get hit during the animation. From what I played it is slightly harder than Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

I don't have a problem with how Life Gems work right now, the animation is fairly long and unlike Grass from Demon's Souls it's heal over time for only a portion of your health.

You can still die if you're not careful. Enemies tend to use range attacks if you get too far away, so there's a chance you might even get hit during the animation. From what I played it is slightly harder than Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Invaded someone last night who kept using life gems. Didn't help him at all. I don't know why everyone hates them.They do seem redundant seeing as we already have estus. Grass in demon's souls was way worse, but it didn't effect the difficulty or my enjoyment.

Maybe if they made life gems a PvP only healing item, for invaders.

Ill Saint

Like others, after the first test I was also very unsure about the new movement speed and combat changes, almost to the point of disliking it. But extra time with the 2nd test changed my mind completely and now I absolutely love it to bits. It feels great, the combat is much more visceral and less reliant on backstab tricks. I really think it's a step forward from DkS 1. I'm confident any issues will get sorted and balanced out by March.

gogosox8

Well after playing in the stress test last night, I definitely have some thoughts. I love the way the hud goes away unless your switching weapons or something. It feels really immersive when your walking around in the world. The inventory screen is a little hit and miss with me. It seems to display the exact same information as Dark Souls did, but it feels more scattered and not as informative for some reason. I like how the weapons are categorized but I can't really tell which weapon does more damage without hitting x which just makes it a little less informative to me. Again like I said, hit and miss.

I used the temple knight and switched between the zwei and the halberd throughout. The zwei seemed to swing faster than the zwei in dark souls but the recovery seemed slower. I liked both move sets of both the zwei and halberd (especially like how the halberd seems to do a thrusting attack when you do a combo) but the animations do seem a tad off, like it should be faster than what the zwei or halberd is swinging at. Its probably just me and I just need to get used to the animation.

Your character also moves slower. Yes, I know you can put points into agility and it will let you move faster which I did and my character did move and roll much faster but I don't think I should have to spend points on stuff like that honestly. People got good at parrying in Dark Souls b/c of practice not b/c they points into a stat and I feel like that's the way it should stay.

Was not a fan of the dark and needing a torch the whole time.In some areas it was just really dark and you had to have a torch in order to see where you were going. While I like the idea of it, I think most people are going to go with a shield instead of the torch no matter how dark it is.

I mainly did co op and some invading since that was the point of the beta. Found the online experience to be ok though I did experience some lag from time to time. I think the highlight for me was me and another guy were helping this guy to the
Chariot boss
and as we were going over the bridge dude rolled right off the bridge. Wish I had the Look skyward gesture for that one.

I enjoyed my time with it but there's something that feels a little off about it. I know that this was an old build we were using so I'm hoping that things were changed for the better.

Stimpack

Eh. At a snail's place. The animation isn't exactly short either. I would say that throwing down some grass in DeS is less debilitating.

Agreed. To be perfectly honest, though, none of the games have really been that difficult. They've all offered ways to make the game easier, and this one is no different. It's basically always been as easy or as difficult as you choose to make it. If you grind out a bunch of levels, it's going to be easier. If you farm for a bunch of healing items, it's going to be easier. I say that this is just as difficult as the other games, because it's always depended on how you decide to play it.

Agreed. To be perfectly honest, though, none of the games have really been that difficult. They've all offered ways to make the game easier, and this one is no different. It's basically always been as easy or as difficult as you choose to make it. If you grind out a bunch of levels, it's going to be easier. If you farm for a bunch of healing items, it's going to be easier. I say that this is just as difficult as the other games, because it's always depended on how you decide to play it.

Yep. Not to mention, how many times in a Souls game do you die because you run out of healing items? The answer would have to be close to zero for most. You die because enemies hit hard and knowing what to use and when to use it is a game in itself.

The Lamp

Easy? I think maybe some of you guys are just used to the DS formula by now. It's like how I can start DS over and beat the first boss within a few minutes as opposed to an hour like my first time through. Once you get good at DS, difficulty lies in learning the environment, not combat... Except for boss fights.

Is there any good NEW youtube "impressions" vids up from the latest beta? Always enjoy hearing some commentary about the feel and new mechanics of the game. Reading this thread has me a tad bit concerned at this point.

Gvaz

Banned
I am not too pleased at there not being a visual upgrade in dark souls 2, especially since dark souls 1 was (even on the pc) simply functional and not especially stunning. Additionally, they have had a lot of examples of potentially decent UIs they could have done. From what I'm watching now, it's simply dark souls 1 with excessive motion blur and new zones and armor weapons. Maybe that's all that others wanted, but I wanted more change than that.

Soriku

I am not too pleased at there not being a visual upgrade in dark souls 2, especially since dark souls 1 was (even on the pc) simply functional and not especially stunning. Additionally, they have had a lot of examples of potentially decent UIs they could have done. From what I'm watching now, it's simply dark souls 1 with excessive motion blur and new zones and armor weapons. Maybe that's all that others wanted, but I wanted more change than that.

Character model and lighting are definitely better.

For a game coming out at the end of this gen, it looks pretty good. And it does look better than Dark Souls 1.

I thought there was a nice graphical improvement over the first one. It was better than I expected.

Seriously. As far as same-generation sequels go, the graphical jump is as good as it gets for me.

Better frame rate, better physics, much better lighting, etc.

That's one thing that I'm very happy about in general; it looks and feels noticeably different to DSI, whilst still being a DS game.

Destroys Demon's > Dark, anyway.

Gvaz

Banned
Keep in mind i watched a youtube because my ps3 is on the fritz and didn't get around to having time to fix it and then download and then play it.

Top Bottom